Reality Check: We Pick Our Top 3 on Idol! But Will the Season 13 Crown Be Won by Default? Plus: A Lion Roars on The Voice!

The quest for American Idol‘s Season 13 crown is down to nine contestants, but there are times when it seems like nobody really wants to inherit Candice Glover’s bejeweled headpiece.

VIDEO | M.K. Nobilette Talks Coming Out on Idol, Learning From Harry, Being an ‘Awkward’ Performer

On this week’s Reality Check, my co-host Melinda Doolittle and I talk about the troubling lack of “Moments-Moments” (™ Mariah) over the past five weeks — and the fact that the current crop of singers are operating as if they’re playing the same bars and coffeehouses of their pre-Idol careers, rather than choosing bold new material to excite a national TV audience.

What’s more, Melinda and I each reveal our personal Top 3 contestants — based on overall body of work — weigh in on a quartet of Top 10 Week performances (by Jessica, Sam, Majesty and Caleb) that created discord among the judges, and touch briefly (so as to not get contaminated) on J.Lo’s new tune “I Luh Ya Papi.”

All that, plus a brief check in on the current (underwhelming) season of NBC’s The Voice — and the two women who are making it worth our while to tune in.

So press play below for the full Reality Check experience, then hit the comments and share your thoughts about your Idol and Voice faves. And for all my reality TV news, interviews, exlusives and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jojo says:

Yes! My fav. :-)

• Flicker says:

I agree with the top two being Alex and Jena (regardless of all the Jena haters on this blog), and yes, Malaya as the number 3 this week… BUT I still have faith in Majesty as the 3 overall. In fact, I’d be ecstatic if Alex, Jena and Majesty were the last three standing going to their homecoming visits.

• Flicker says:

May I add that I’d love for Jess to fight for that third spot

• LeahKittyS says:

This would make for a wonderful end of the season.

• Kelly says:

I adore Majesty. I’m hoping that this week she will take JLo’s advice and “Let it Go.”

• Mark says:

I, too, adore Majesty. But once you start hearing the breathing thing on every third phrase, you can’t un-hear it. And you start wanting her to go someplace else, learn to fix it, and then re-appear 2-3 years from now where you can say, “OMG, it’s that beautiful girl from Idol… I’m so glad she made it.”

• BenM says:

@Mark – part of the point there is ‘once you hear it’. People started talking about it last week, but I went and listened back to her old performances and it was always present, so why could she get away with it so long? The reason why is that its really not a big deal and relatively normal, its simply become a big deal because people have pointed it out. I went in to her last performance seeing comments about it before hearing the performance for the first time, and expected it to be really distracting. But it was way overblown.

• Jase says:

If Jess could just get it together and deliver ONE big real moment on that stag, connecting with her lyrics and giving us a few big notes, I bet she would blow past Majesty and Alex for that third spot. Her voice and her potential is that great. How can she be so passionate on her own song (“Done”) and now know what to do with these real pop hits? COME ON JESS!

• Teeny Bikini says:

I agree about Jess. She’s really needs to push, push, push past her comfort zone b/c her voice is amazing. But the seeming complacency makes me not want to vote for her. I want her show me that she wants this more than air.

• syb says:

I’d be fine with that too, or Jess instead of Jena if you want. But I think Majesty’s run is going to be short unless she has something that blows everyone away this week, and I think Caleb is a shoo in for top 3. We shall see.

• Flicker says:

Ok guys, I’m going to take your word for this and try to listen for the “breathing” between phrases this week!!

• Paris says:

Just listen to her studio recording. You can hear it there, too.

• A says:

If you have to listen for it then is it really a problem? I’m not noticing it. I have the iTunes recording and haven’t noticed it. It must be a personal thing for people.

• Liz says:

What about caleb?! He’s probably the most consistent slog with Alex, though not in a boring way- remember Skyfall and how awesome that was? I also actually liked his Edge of Glory, felt it showcased his voice and I was actually surprised to realise he can really sing, as opposed to just rock out and put on a good show. Just my two cents, not arguing with you but was interested to know why he wasn’t on a lot of your lists :)

• sg54 says:

My top five would be Jena, Alex, Caleb, Malaya, and Jess. If you had asked me two weeks ago, I would have replaced Caleb and Malaya with Majesty and Sam, hands down, and I still feel some sort of loyalty to both of them because of their past performances. But they need to prove themselves!

2. gailer says:

I too am tired of the Voice, and I loved it before this go round. Go figure?

On Idol, no one was stellar IMHO.

And so true, these contestants need to relate to their songs! Or we don’t relate to them.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. I am not sure why anyone would sing a song they don’t understand. That seems counterproductive. Just Google it already. I feel like Sam falls squarely into this category. He sounds pretty (sometimes) but everything else is so vacant.

• I actually gave up The Voice this season. I don’t mind watching it during the Fall when Idol isn’t on, but watching that with Idol is too much. I know as an Idol fan it’s tough to say this but, The Voice is getting so boring. They do the same shtick with the judges, even the new judges, with the teasing and joking around, the turning of the chairs. It’s all predictable and not as contestant based as Idol is. Idol has great judges this season, but the show lives and breathes with the contestants, or so it should, and that’s what draws me in year after year. Sure there have been some weird machinations of judges over the years and the producers want you to care about the judges, and as much I love Harry, Keith and to an extent JLo this season, it’s more about the contestants, and The Voice is all about the judges/mentors.

• BenM says:

Thats always how I’ve felt about the Voice, X Factor etc etc – those shows are focussed on the judges and idol is focussed on the contestants, thats why I continue to enjoy idol far more regardless of the relative strength of the contestants themselves. When I watch Idol I feel like I’m in a meadow watching a stream trickle by. When I watch the Voice I feel like I’m being beaten over the head with a giraffe.

• LeahKittyS says:

Ben M, you get a big old Up-vote for that!

• tealeaves says:

“When I watch Idol I feel like I’m in a meadow watching a stream trickle by. When I watch the Voice I feel like I’m being beaten over the head with a giraffe.”
            LOL!

• Name This Tune says:

And I am just the opposite. Idol is boring. I am waiting for the next 2 weeks worth of ratings to see if a certain trend continues. Because I think some folks at Fox are thinking exit strategy.

• A says:

I love the idea of writing down the lyrics before they sing them – YES. It’s insane that Sam would such a song. I would love to see all of them think about this before getting on the stage.

• deedee says:

Agreed. No stellar performances on Idol this week for me either. Hoping Majesty gets it together on Wednesday because, imo, she’s still the most interesting one there. Alex would be in my top tier if I didn’t find him so unappealing. Something about him puts me off, and I can’t get past it.

The Voice judges bug the crap out of me and I hate the show because of them. I usually catch the show on repeat on Sunday nights when there’s nothing else on .. otherwise I wouldn’t watch it at all. Bleh. I wish that Stevie Joe kid would have tried out for Idol instead, cause I kind of like him.

Mary Buten

Sent from my iPad

• Paris says:

I agree about Alex. This is not in any way fair, but he seems like the kid in a teen movie that bullies the uncool kids in middle school. Or, like Biff in Back To the Future. He has a nearly constant sneer on his face and it’s a case of “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” But, as the Buggles said “Video Killed the Radio Star”.

• Eve says:

I would think Alex would have been the kid being bullied more than being a bully. He is quirky, eccentric and odd looking. I would guess he wasn’t the most popular kid in school. He is so talented and I think he feels awkward and uncomfortable in the limelight which may explain his “sneer”

• Sandy says:

Eve, I think you are right on the money with Alex. I think he is shy and awkward as well. He is my favorite, right from day one. He has such a unique quality about him.

3. darcy's evil twin says:

My top three are Alex, Caleb, and Jessica – with Jena in a close fourth place.
    Thanks for the clips of Haley, Elise Testone, and especially Melinda doing Bon Jovi! I’d forgotten about that one!
    I’m with Melinda – bring back “Disco Week” if that’s what it takes to see something different from these kids. Great recap, both of you!

• Danny says:

I agree w/ your top 4, slightly different order though. I’d have Caleb on top followed by Alex, Jena, with Jessica being a close 4th. I’d add that I like the improvement in Malaya.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I didn’t really have them in a particular order, Danny. I’m still making up my mind!

• Teeny Bikini says:

I love Malaya’s improvement too. I just need her to show that kind of control a couple more times before I completely buy-in.

• deedee says:

Me too. I’ve always liked Malaya a lot, but saw her more as a Disney channel star rather than a singer. But if she keeps up with the improvements and continues to show restraint, I could start taking her seriously.

• I want an R&B week. Imagine Dexter and Jess trying to own that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think Jess would do just fine for R&B week.
        “Big Band Week” really separates the wheat from the chaff – I don’t believe we’ve seen Big Band Week since Season 8 or 9. I’m sure some Idoloonie will clarify that for me – some of you folks have awesome memories.

• There was a rat pack week in the Season 8 Top 5. I wouldn’t mind seeing a big band week, but it’s been done a few times already and modern R&B hasn’t.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Oh, I’d love to see big band just to see something different. But that could be train wreck too. I guess that’s part of the fun though :)

• deedee says:

Pretty sure there was a standards week in season 9. I think that was the last time it was done.

• marie says:

I don’t know; the thought of “Big Band Week” with this group…there isn’t one this season I want to hear tackle a standard (except Harry).

• Stormy says:

Maybe Caleb could pull off “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”. And Jess could do “My Funny Valentine”. The rest could be shaky. Although, now that I think it through, Malaya has the pipes for some Ella Fitzgerald [Stompin at the Savoy?] and Majesty could do some Dinah Washington [What a Difference a Day Makes] or some Nancy Wilson. I don’t imagine Dexter/Jena/Alex or Sam would fare very well. As for CJ, I think his mojo is gone. He seems terrified to be in the spotlight.

• Timmah says:

I don’t think any theme would throw Jess off. Dexter is another story altogether.

• Tahoe Mike says:

We are on the same page Evil Twin.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I’m with you on Alex and Jessica. But I just can’t get onboard with Jeeena’s pretentious put-on tone or Caleb’s inherent douchebaggery. I have no choice but to put Malaya in my top 3. Or Majesty.

On another note, I’m finding Dexter cute in a Michael Sarver kind of way. Sometimes I look at a fat booty and tell myself, “I want to hit that.”

4. Woodmeister says:

I luh ya, slezak!

5. syb says:

Alex, yes–unquestionably top 3 from where I sit.

• Mary says:

Alex is creative in arranging his songs, but I just do not like his voice and to be honest he just stands there playing his guitar. I think he would be better suited as a producer. This week should be interesting for him how he handles without his instrument. My top three are Jena, Jessica and Caleb or Alex by as you say Michael by default. I think Majesty has lost her mojo on the big stage, to young for this competition.

6. Luke says:

Underwhelming season of The Voice?! I feel like I’m being punked! There are so many great voices this season! Underwhelming describes Idol, not the Voice! Wow. I am so surprised Michael and Melinda – after all these years, I thought I knew your tastes.

• Viajero says:

I agree. I thought there were a series of performances on The Voice last week which were as good or better than anything we saw on Idol, despite the fact that so far the battles this season have not quite been up to the level of last season’s. Besides Sisaundra, this includes Brittnee vs. Jessica, Clarissa vs. Jeremy, and Jake vs. Lexi. I think that’s pretty good if you consider that almost all my favorites coming out of the blind auditions are not performing until this week.

• Tom22 says:

I’m there with you.. I thought all of the battle round performances were great.. and I disagreed that the girl in the example got blown out of the water in terms of who’s rendition I liked better.. sometimes you can be too theatrical… even if it takes a powerful voice to be theatrical. My worry about the voice they’re either clean cut or look like dorks…dorks without any swagger. Michel Chamuel had some swagger in her own way but that season didn’t seem alternative enough to me , 6 of the top 12 were different sorts of birds Season 5.. which made the music really interesting to me. This group might prove me wrong.. I can’t say I have a fix on the large number of contestants left yet.
        I haven’t given up on idol as I think if producers are reallyin heraing the complaints and have more pros recording artists (on top of vocal coaches who are teaching different important things) and have producers with them cutting the iTunes version prior to the show so that the final arrangments have been dozens of times and perfected to a recording ready point, that we’ll s see some good idol peformances

• Scott says:

Yeah this season of The Voice will look good if you compare it to Idol, but compared to previous seasons of The Voice, it is definitely underwhelming.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Dunno. I’m really enjoying the Voice this year. This season has a whole lot of crazy talented contestants. The format is a bit dull as they have to cut through the less talented folks, but I have a feeling their finalists will be an impressive group.

7. Mark says:

I was with Michael and Melinda right up to the point when Michael threw in the Haley reference. Great idea–do what Haley, and Elise did. After all, those three all won in their seasons. Oh wait, not one of them won. What’s that about insanity being doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

• Tom22 says:

All that matters is getting to the top 3 or 4 or even 5 for me(although 5 is a bit short).. I could care less who wins other than I want the ones who I get to see more weeks be really good at their own styles. I ‘m there for the music, not to see who gets crowned the final week.

• Terry says:

Good bloody grief, he was referencing awesome female rock performances, it’s not like he could use Scotty or P2 as an example.

• Mark says:

Emulating losers is a poor strategy for someone who wants to win. Maybe Jessica looked at how far those three got–3rd, 3rd and 6th–and thought her chances of reaching the finals and winning would be better if she didn’t do what those three did. Just a thought. Does it make more sense to do what the Denver Broncos did or the Seattle Seahawks?

8. Danny says:

I don’t think there’s been a “Moment” on this show (live performances) since Joshua Ledet had 2 of them in back to back weeks. Angela had one last year, but that wasn’t live. I still think this year is way better than last though. There’s already been more songs I enjoyed this year than last, even if they’re not up to the level of Haley, Bo, Siobhan, David Cook, and a slew of others.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, no. Candice’s “Lovesong” by The Cure was absolutely a “moment”.

• Kimberly Locke says:

Bo Bice’ acapella performance, Jessica Sanchez’s And i am telling you and Fantasia’s Summertime were pretty legit

• McFudge says:

Alex Lambert’s Mad World. Chills.

• LibbyxD says:

Kris Allen “Heartless.”

• LeahKittyS says:

Kelly’s “Stuff Like That There,” Ruben’s “Nights On Broadway,” Clay’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” Fantasia’s “Summertime,” Jennifer’s “Weekend In New England,” Carrie’s “Alone,” Bo’s “In a Dream,” Katharine’s Somewhere “Over the Rainbow,” Daughtry’s “Hemorrhage,” Melinda’s “My Funny Valentine,” and the list goes on and on…
          By the way, I’ve seen “Jon Peter Lewis” and “Kimberley Locke” here in this comment section. And with Melinda Doolittle actually in the video (and Haley Reinhart in the intro), it’s an Idol alum party! I wonder who else will show up?

• Teeny Bikini says:

I agree and am glad that I am not hearing that same played out songs on Idol this year. That is a plus!

• Ben says:

I think Candice had a couple of moments – but honestly, I think using ‘moments’ as the measure of a season is… well, its just not for me. I’d rather enjoy more performances without having a moment, than get a couple of moments but enjoy hardly any of the performances. I share your view, in that this year I am enjoying the vast majority of performances, even though none of them are blowing me away (although Alex and Malaya are beginning to get close).

• Mary says:

I base the season on who I would purchase music from after the show. To be honest there is only a couple that falls into that category right now. A moment sometimes help me either change my mind or take a second look at them. As much as I love a WGWG Alex voice does nothing for me. If he has a moment maybe I would change my mind. A lot of the performances have been pleasant but only one or two makes me think that they would have a shot in the real music business.

9. Julie Anderson says:

I’m saying this as a huge fan of Alex’s…I agree. Each week I find myself thinking that was really great, but he hasn’t completely knocked out of the park yet. I think he needs to sit on a stool and play one of his original songs or Damien Rice’s “Blower’s Daughter” and give us all chills. I think it will be during one of those intimate songs that it happens. But he had to do something peppy this week to change it up. It was a smart move and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

He’s still my favorite as I think post Idol he will become a successful songwriter. Ultimately, I think that’s what he sees himself as. Did anyone else notice just prior to his performance Ryan made that reference to past Idol greats? I think they are perceiving Alex as someone who has that same potential. I think there is a lot of buzz around him.

This was the first week I liked Malaya….and though Alex is my favorite musician, It might be more fitting that she, Jena, or Caleb actually win.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I love that Alex is a true artist and musician – and does a great job of both singing songs outside his genre while maintaining his creative voice. But I think his quiet confidence will make it harder for him to have a conventional Idol moment. But it’s still early yet. And this whole “moment” thing is so entirely subjective, I’m not sure if I care as much as Michael. I prefer consistency.

• syb says:

It’s true he hasn’t really had that watercooler performance that will be remembered forever yet. But how long did it take for Phil to have one of those? Each week he was predictable–most weeks very good at what he did, but no surprises until toward the end when he broke out Volcano. Unless you were a big fan of his, it’s hard to remember anything he did before that really. He won, and he’s a rare recent Idol success story in the real world. He had the advantage of being a better looking/cooler image guy, but plenty of dorks do well in the music business. I think Alex has the most musical savvy of any, save maybe Caleb, and he’s just more interesting and appealing to me than Caleb.

10. MA says:

I’ve never thought the scar mentioned in that Fun song was a literal scar; I always thought it was metaphorical, that the singer had broken his girlfriend’s heart, not actually slashed her face. So I disagree about Sam’s performance. That said, right on with the rest!

• AprilD says:

Me too!! He doesn’t say “a woman” he’s talking to, he refers to them as “sunglasses” so I assumed the scar part was metaphorical too. Just like you said.

• JoMarch says:

He refers to the guy sitting with his (the singer’s) woman as “sunglasses” to diminish him; he’s not a person, he’s a pair of sunglasses, perhaps labeling him as well in the process as pompous? After all, who wears sunglasses in doors but an affected person? There was never a doubt that she had a scar he (the singer) gave to her, and he hasn’t even apologized very well for it. You never listened to the lyrics good enough.

• MA says:

You realize that the songwriter himself has since said it was metaphoric, right? He was specifically asked by a fan if the line was about domestic violence and he said no, it was a metaphor.

• Vonzel Solomon says:

I agree! Slezak ruin it. Now, mental image of a creepy scarface girl shows up everytime i listen to this song. ;(

• Mark says:

Nowhere does the song say that the scar was given to her in an altercation. It’s equally possible and probable that it was accidental. In any event, the song is not about the scar. That’s an inconsequential detail. What matters is what happens afterward–hanging out with friends and getting loaded.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I do think Michael missed the intent of the song like Harry missed it on Jess’s performance. Not everything is so literal. But Sam’s stiffness and lack of stage presence seemed palpable and did not “match” the spirit of the song.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Exactly! I don’t remember it being mentioned that it was from an altercation. Michael was being too literal. I’ve always thought scar meant he broke her heart, cheated on her, whatever. And unless the singer/writer was an advocate of domestic violence, who would be stupid enough to write that into the song?! It’s not like it was a collaboration between Chris Brown and Eminem.

11. kristy lee kook says:

Better way to end this season is to have a WGWG Final 2! Sam and Alex ftw!

12. Jojo says:

If Malaya continues to improve I see her making the top 3 ala Haley Reinhart.

• I’ve actually been comparing her to Syesha. I think she’s doing really well on nights when other people are choking, and if she’s consistent she’ll make the top 3 by default.

• Jojo says:

I can see where you’re drawing comparisons, however I feel Syesha didn’t really do well that often, and more or less did average/above-average on nights when there were some real stinkers lol. I mean top 5 & top 4 nights brooke and jason dropped some real stinkers for her to advance.

• Timmah says:

I don’t. Haley didn’t sound like she was strangling a cat when she pushed out the louder notes.

• Jojo says:

Lol I disagree. I recall people saying Haley sounded like a dying cat often. We’ll see though. Either way I love me some Malaya(and to a lesser extent Jessica)!

13. Name That Tune says:

Someone on another board posted a link about Idol’s “worst moments”. Included in that story was a YouTube video from season 1 with the Top 5 finalists singing Paula Abdul songs. Kelly Clarkson stood out in that group, but what struck me even more is that there were NO GUITARS. They were singing and it was fun.
    It made me realize just how bored I am with anybody just standing rock still, strumming a guitar and trying to sing. This year’s group is so boring because they are so one-note.
    CJ with a guitar
    Dexter with a guitar
    Ben with a guitar
    Alex with a guitar
    Jessica with a guitar
    Majesty with a guitar
    For variety we’ve had
    Malaya with a piano
    Jena with a piano
    And only Caleb, who sings. And he is the most entertaining of the bunch. I wonder why that is?

• Name That Tune says:

Forgot to add Sam with a guitar

• Buffy0531 says:

That’s because though the judges keep saying how great his voice is, he’s utterly forgettable. He looks uncomfortable and terrified. Harry has it right. At this point, I love watching Caleb, Jena and Alex. They at least are a bit different, and try to put something personal into the performance, whether it’s a cool rearrangement (Alex), a purely entertaining and near pitch-perfect vocal (Caleb), or some variety in terms of song choice, with the vocal power to back it up (Jena). The rest are leaving me kind of cold. Loved Majesty at first, and think she could have a shot, if she puts the last two weeks behind her.

• Mary says:

I see what you mean, I love a guy with a guitar but it is overload this year. These contestants use it as a crutch. I remember many performances that David and Kris did without their guitar. One advantage of this week is fronting a band, so hopefully no instruments are allowed, at least that is what I am hoping for.

• Tom22 says:

I think they all could be exciting with the right song and the right guest star coaching

• Ben says:

@Name – that is partly why I’m hoping the meaning of this weeks theme is effectively ‘no instruments’

14. I think my top 3 are Caleb, Malaya, and Alex. Jena’s definitely in the Top 5, but I thought Clarity was a hot glowsticky trainwreck, and I’m confused about the people who liked it. I mean, at least it was a very entertaining trainwreck and she was one of the few people last week with energy?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Good point, good point, and good point! I detest that type of music and yet I liked the performance for a reason I find difficult to explain.
      I did like Jena’s bangs. :-)

• sheba says:

I agree that Jena has a distinctive voice and has some spark as a performer, but I find her talent is still kind of raw. She hasn’t impressed me on any song except her own songs or those right in her wheelhouse (Paramore, Lana Del Rey). Clarity was not a total miss for me, but she was consistently a little behind the beat and hit some bad notes. She is getting some momentum that may carry her to the final group, but I don’t think she has the polish or the breadth of repertoire to win.

I expect it will be Alex and Jess in the finals along with one other person TBD. Out of this group, those two have the most experience as performers and songwriters, which makes them the best positioned to go the distance, stand out as artists, and have legitimate careers in music after the program ends. I expect Caleb to fade eventually since I don’t really see him as an artist with something to say, but he might stay in it due to consistency. Otherwise, I’m finding it hard to predict who out of the rest of the youngsters is going to be able to consistently step it up.

• Ben says:

I know, I really didn’t think Clarity was good (I thought Suddenly I See was way better than the general consensus, I feel clarity was way worse than the general consensus). My personal top 5 would be Alex, Caleb, Majesty, Jena, Malaya. Jess could make it in though, because I think her vocals are improving every week, but I still feel she will fall short of where her talent probably should place her through a lack of connection as many other very good singers have in the past (Pia, Elise etc).

15. Trinkulo says:

At this point I see Alex and Jessica in the finals, Caleb as #3 (these 3 are the only ones I look forward to) and Jena as #4. I think Alex is the most consistent but has not yet had a moment, while I think Caleb did with Skyfall and Jessica did with “Pumped Up Kicks.” By a moment I mean a performance I actually turn over in my mind afterwards and re-watch, even if they did not achieve a standing ovation at the time. It’s time for the top contestants to show real growth week-to-week, and I’m rooting for Jessica – great sense of rhythm, great tone, rock & roll spirit, strong songwriter. WGirlWG!

16. Jon Peter Lewis says:

Theme week that are really specific usually gives a lot of surprise and entertainment. It takes the contestant out of their comfort zones and it showcase their artistry. Adam lambert’s grand royal opry week, Kris Allen in disco week, Syesha Mercado in andrew lloyd weber week, David Cook singing Mariah as well as David Archuleta singing Dolly parton are the ones that get stucked in my mind

• Karen O says:

Hi JPL! =)

• Blinged Up says:

Hey, it’s JPL! You have that Midas Whale CD out yet? I’m gonna go look for that…
      Agree that we are not getting “moments” because the contestants aren’t being forced out of their box like they have in seasons past with the specific themes. Although we in Idol-loonie land always complained about those themes….can’t win, I guess.
      Alex is my favorite this season. I like several others as well. There’s a big ol’ tie for 2nd place for me.
      Now I have that god-awful I luh ya papi thing in my head. MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!
      Going to search for Midas Whale and see what JPL has been up to…

17. NatasyaF says:

I have to agree with the overall assessments of who stands where. Just want to say, JLo deserves some credit for being able to say “I luhya luhya luhya” three times fast–and several times in a row! Have you tried that?? It’s HARD! ;-)

18. AprilD says:

With the exception of Caleb, none of these kids are a performer’s performer. I looked back through I’d my favorite performances & I don’t know if any of these kids have it in them. Makes me think Idol is doing itself a disservice by tending to stick to kids who haven’t really lived their lives yet. But if they want a Star Search type show, they’re getting it. With that said, I look forward to what Caleb, Malaya, Alex, Majesty & Jena bring each week.

19. MAB says:

My top three are Alex, Caleb and Jena. I have Alex on top. I don’t get what Michael wants from him. He had the best studio out of all of them.

• Mary says:

Maybe movement, emotion, heck even a smile wouldn’t hurt. Perfect coffee house singer, but looks out of place on a big stage. I still say he would be great writing and producing music but I don’t see him as a singer for the stage.

20. Kate says:

OK but seriously JASON AVERETT ARE YOU OK? Has Randy’s reduced role eliminated your need to work out irritation via well-placed clips that mock his ineptitude? I miss your voice in these videos something fierce.

21. The Orginal Lemon says:

I agree with Melinda, and my top 3 right now are Alex, Caleb, and Jena. If Majesty starts to understand that she should be competing with Alex, and not big voiced Caleb and Jena, she may have a shot.

22. Tom22 says:

Extra Heavy Aluminum Foil Hat put on…. I kinda like Iuv- you-pappi … .. You got to judge it by it’s genre and where you’re going to hear it. This is for dance clubs and pump music a the bars filled with younger people right? Or deck-party with a keg music.. or High school dance everyone-on-the-floor music?

Like Billy Idols Mony Mony > there were some lyrics for you… you’re a couple years younger than me MS.. what silly songs were you having fun dancing to when you were partying on the dance floor between 16 and 22 ?… or in the after hours clubs dancing for hours… seems like it would bring a smile to the face and keep people moving.. (no snarky out the door please)

How do they say in in fashion “on point” ….. she’s good at what she does.. she creates fun dance music that fits the time.. like a pony ….. : )

• Tom22 says:

Ok, maybe it was only 16 to 17 with Billy Idol come to think of it..and I guess the Michael Jackson sometimes had decent lyrics and Madona’s wer a step up from papi….and it was probably the B-52s and Debra Harry/Blondie that I was the club music I really liked and still enjoy football statdium bump music… but then there was also “who put the dogs out woof woof” that brought a smile on the dance floor …

• Ben says:

@Tom – as someone who is no way into JLo’s style of music at all and generally likes none of her songs, I actually felt I Luh you Pupi was one of her better efforts as well. It seemed to have a little more tune than usual.

• Sinclair says:

Mony Mony is Tommy James’ lyrics not Billy Idol’s. Billy covered it 20 years after it was a hit for Tommy James and The Shondells. Tommy wrote it with some co-writers.

23. I have fun with, cause I found just what I wwas taking a look for.
    You have ended my four dday lenngthy hunt! God Bless
    you man. Have a nice day. Bye

24. Nelson Neto says:

Man, this season of American Idol is giving me some headaches. Even though there’s no great moments so far, at least six contestants are so good.
    Alex and Caleb have been the most amazing to watch (Alex for his artistry and Caleb for his entertainment value). Jessica and Jena have great voices, and amazing song choices. Malaya started out as a mess, but this week she really owned “When I Was Your Man”. And I still keep waiting for Majesty to bring another “Tightrope” kind of performance. For me, any three of those could be in the top 3 by now.
    And let’s not forget Sam probably has a lot of votes because of his “cuteness”. Also, Dexter is the “country” boy of the season (I don’t expect much more from CJ). I know, both of them were in the bottom before, but maybe this could act like a wake up call for their supporters to keep voting, and that could be a real trouble.
    So, all in all, I think there’s only CJ left to go, and then I’d be okay with any results this season gets.
    Always great to get Reality Check on mondays.

25. Synaptic Sim says:

Reality Check makes Mondays worth it.

26. HTGR says:

So you go on for ten paragraphs about how Idol has had no moments at all and so on and then give one word to The Voice and it’s “plus a brief check in on the current (underwhelming) season of NBC’s The Voice”??? Seems to me the show with no moments at all is the underwhelming one no? Confused. Granted I’ve barely seen Idol at all this season, but something doesn’t seem to add up here.

• Name This Tune says:

HGTR, Michael & Melinda are never going to get with The Voice. Melinda because she was on it and Michael because this is how he made his career.
      That said, it appears that TPTB at Fox are talking about scaling Idol back. With a shorter season and no results night. And I bet we see salary get dumped. If you think logically, it’s in Idol’s best interest to run during the weeks that The Voice is not aired. It did pretty good in January and February when The Voice was not on but has been sinking fast since the beginning of March.

At some point, they will talk about The Voice because it will be the only game in town.

• tealeaves says:

The Voice had never, ever had a “moment” like the top dozen “moments” on Idol. Amanda Brown singing Dream On might rank as number 13, and that was seasons ago for The Voice.

• Tom22 says:

Tealeaves.. I’m not sure whether I agree or disagree with you . There were about 12 to 14 peformances The Voice 5 that were worthy of me buying and none of them were by the winner and a couple others that I Know others enjoyed as much as the ones I bought. I mean that in a good way in that… if I loved the 12 I had and they had others there were tons of lovable songs last season.

For me, a strong belting peformance might be “a moment” but it doesn’t make for “keeper” music for me. Obviously I have some exceptions. I’m a Haley Reinhart fan and I listen to all of her idol peformances and her ablums and her unreleased stuff… alll of it.. BUT I CANNOT bear to listen to her House of the Rising Sun which I really thought was all drama without a coherent point of view.. (who was that girl singing ? were parts of the song attempting to be factual … what was that chiding in the begiingin etc… personal taste to be sure but for me it was unlike her other performances which I found incredibly insightful on even fast dance songs like “call me” where she brought a depth to some phrases as much or more as Debrah Harry).

So, my point is, lots of the “moment” songs are oversinging for me…or they’re just straight out power singing without a special insight being conveyed. I will say both Jordan Sparks, Haley Reinhart (and even Candice, but a beensy bit lower yet better in a day to day interpetation..quite good actually )… all three had moments with I who have nothing both in the eyes of others and for myself. So I don’t hate all moments but a fair number of them are a bit much for me

And.. it seems like lots of performances that don’t always qualify for “moments” were extrondinary for me. I loved 3 or 4 of cole vosburies peformances last year.. adorn inparticular is great to listen to this day for me. I loved one (and only one) interpretation by Josh.. that take on “man in the mirror” brought the lyrics to the for front and I loved the tecture of his voice.. it worked perfectly for me. I loved a couple of Kat’s performances Sail and another that people did not like, but she had spotty performces. I loved the big guys “She walks with angels” and listen to that regurlarly… actually I made myself a 14 song album from The Voice 5. Ray , Home and another are on there (Home was and is impressive to me). I liked one of Carroline Pennels songs a lot (i’m not always quick with names of songs even when I listen to them a hundred times… I couldn’t name a few grateful dead songs names I’ve listend to 1000 times) but I also bought her EP which was a bonus to the season even though yeah its not a moment on the show. I’m missing a couple.

Anyway.. anything I go back and listen to a year later is a “moment” in my book.. even though it often just seems “good” for those looking for powerhouse or incredibly moving rather than simply reflecting performances that sing deeper with me over time.

I liked Amanda’s peformances well enough, and chris’s that year too.. but they’re not something that make me want to have on my phone rather than the orginals…. so they’re not really very important to me in a different way.

But, the show was even better if you and others do like the performances so much you own those like I own the others… that means the show really had an even larger number of performances that were treasured… only 1/4 of an audience needs to treasure something for it to have lasting value… if 75% of the audienc thinks a song i great at the time but there isn’t even 25% who a year later really isn’t too interested in having it on their playlists.. that in the end.. well ? Im not sure

Different things to measure by for different peole

27. Kelsey says:

My Top 3: Alex, Jessica and Caleb. Malaya is improving. Sam and Dexter just bore me. Majesty and CJ are both all over the place. And sorry, but I wasn’t the least bit impressed with this week.

28. HTGR says:

It is encouraging to hear that (at least once it went live, I sure have doubts about the sing to make it to top 13 selection though) the production is apparently not busing anyone or pre-picking. That is great news if it’s really true. Maybe I will tune in once it gets to top five or so.
    Which happily (and sadly) brings us to those old clips, the trio man, now THAT was singing. (And sadly that was also busing! What a shame that when they really had the talent they also had the fleet of greyhounds revved up and ready (particularly for the Haley season, which was the season they decided to bring in every bus company in the entire world, but also for the Elise season and even for the Melinda season (although in the latter there were also some other good ones around and they didn’t quite totally shove the busing in your face to nth to nth to the nth degree).)
    Is Idol, even apparently without any moments at all, really so much better than The Voice though that the latter gets only 1 minute out of 14 though??

• Name This Tune says:

Idol isn’t better. It was first. But the CEO at Fox told the shareholders in February that Idol is on the downside of its life cycle. They are not going to build the schedule around it any more.
      So alk the Idol old-timers will still be chattering on about obscure Idol talent all the way to 2029. But Idol will be dead and gone.

• LeahKittyS says:

As sad as that sounds, I have to up-vote it because it’s true. I will be happy to see it go before it truly tanks (I am still enjoying this season), but it’s sad because it used to be the big unifier in my family and now I’m the only one still watching it.

• tealeaves says:

Yes, Idol is that much better. The Voice is about the judges. Idol is about the contestants, both good and bad. The changing contestants from season to season continue to make Idol uniquely interesting. This year, even the Idol judges on Idol are rivaling The Voice with the fun banter. The contestants continue to be more interesting overall. There are always some good or great Voice contestants, but they get lost among everything else that is going on.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The Idol judges are rivaling the fun banter of The Voice judges because Idol copied The Voice’s format. The whole premise of the judging panel for The Voice was no bickering, no Simon Cowell nastiness, and no slamming the contestants. The formula worked, and now Idol is on the bandwagon.

• tealeaves says:

Idol started with a judging panel that viewers liked to watch and listen to. Paula Abdul was the only one with any fame and she was not recording any more at the time she started Idol. They lost their way for several years thinking what they needed big names on the panel to compete with the newer shows. They finally learned the correct lesson from The Voice which is that the panel should have fun banter while also having different perspectives.

• Mary says:

As much as you and Michael complains about the Haley busing, I personally think she got further into the competition because of it. Maybe not everyone saw in her what you guys did. The bottom line is America didn’t vote her for the winner. It is now time to move on. If she is your favorite support her buy her music or contribute to her campaign.

• Terry says:

Excellent idea. Anytime someone mentions Haley Reinhart (good, bad, or otherwise) they must go to her Twitter (at HaleyReinhart) and click on her indiegogo link and put five bucks in the tip jar towards her video campaign! heehee

29. tealeaves says:

Last week on Idol I thought Jena, Alex, Malaya, Jessica, and Sam were really good. Caleb was just okay, but his Skyfall last week was excellent. That leaves 4 contestants who have had much better weeks and 3 of them were in the bottom last week.

30. tealeaves says:

Honestly, The Voice is having its worst year to date so far. There are a few exceptional acts and it remains to be seen if they will make it to the voting rounds. Overall, The Voice is getting overplayed. Two seasons per year is is not helping it. The judges’ banter is fun, but it can’t be the main focus. The contestants are starting to blend together from season to season.

• HTGR says:

I think they all ended up getting overplayed. Two voices a season and then xfactor and Idol. All got to be a bit much. I’ve only seen a single episode of anything live this season so far (tonight’s The Voice). I did see the rest of the Voice on DVR though. Haven’t seen much Idol yet at all. (JLo+Randy kinda gave me a sour feeling going into the season, although I was too busy anyway and the non-stop shows like this just got to be a bit much) Going against the Olympics was crazy too. I didn’t have a second to spare for Idol then even if I had really, really wanted to.

31. Lynn says:

For the life of me, I can’t understand why AI, knowing that there hasn’t really been “a moment” during this season chooses to sacrifice the contestants to showcase Ricky Minor’s band. They found all these young contestants and featured current music in an effort to bring in younger viewers and not only has it failed to to that but all it seems to have done so far is drive many viewers in their 40s and 50s away. I am extremely puzzled by what the producers are doing this year. All that said, right now, top 3 would have to be Alex, Caleb and Jena. I don’t think any of the remaining contestants have the momentum to overtake any of them, although, I think if Caleb doesn’t do something at least a little different, slower maybe, he’s vulnerable. Of course, the theme this week doesn’t really favor that option, but who knows? Fronting a band might allow him to really shine.Either way, I think it’s going to be hard to unseat Alex or Jena. They’re producer and judge favorites and seem to have a lot of confidence and a good sense for choosing songs that suit their voices and personalities. All this will shake out this week, I’m sure. If Majesty doesn’t give an amazing performance, she’s going home, I predict, and unfortunately, I can’t see her getting any help from this “theme.” All Malaya and Jessica have to do is perform better than either Dexter, CJ or Majesty.

• deedee says:

If Majesty uses this theme as an opportunity to sing a standard, then I think she can stand out from the others, bring herself back from the edge, and maybe even have a ‘moment’. (The theme is pretty much ‘sing whatever you want as long as there’s a band behind you’, right?)

• Stormy says:

I’d love for Majesty to sing Guess Who I Saw Today by Nancy Wilson. Not Nancy Wilson from Heart, Nancy Wilson the jazz singer.

• deedee says:

Speaking of Nancys, you reminded me of “These Boots Are Made for Walking” by Nancy Sinatra. How cool would that song be for Majesty?! Not much of a “band” song, though. Maybe for another week.

• Julie Anderson says:

I love Nancy Wilson, but majesty doesn’t have that kind of voice. Malaya is the closest, but not ready.

• Stormy says:

You’re probably right. i guess I just long for some really good music, Dinah Washington, Nancy Wilson etc. Apart from Adele there isn’t much new music for female singers that really impresses me.

• Mary says:

I was mortified when I first heard the theme, but to be honest I think it will be a test of true talent for the stage. I am hoping this means no instruments. I want to see what Alex, Sam, CJ and yes Jess can do without their crutch. It might force them out of their comfort zone and show us what they are made of. I would not spend money on a concert to watch someone just stand there with a guitar and not move. I can get that at a local bar and to be honest some are better.

32. Tamara says:

Caleb and Alex are the only two who give consistently good, if not great performances. Jena is good, she’s probably the best girl (though Malaya could sneak in, great vocals if she learns how to control them) and even though I thought Clarity and even Decode were a little all over the place, despite the unanimous love on here for those two performances, at least she is picking good songs for herself and showing a little originality in her vocals.

I really do not get the Jessica love. Before the live rounds yes I had pegged her as a favourite and one of the better singers, but apart from the whole moment thing which she has never had, I’m almost scared to say this because of the violent response I might get lol, but I don’t really think her vocals are stellar? She’s good, but it’s all well to say that someone is talented when they stand there and sing a song in literally the same tone the whole way through and then criticise someone else for going off pitch once when they were actually taking a risk and changing up their dynamics. It’s not poor song choice either, she’s picked some really great songs but she just sings them in that slightly nasally voice, which I don’t love.

Idk I just had to comment after seeing loads of commenters put Jess in their top 3 list- I really don’t get it. It’s like people are seeing the image of her as a serious, credible singer-songwriter rather than looking at her actual performances, which at the end of the day are what gets you ahead in this show, no matter how talented you may be. I get Malaya, Jena, even Majesty featuring in lists because while they may not appeal to everyone at least they’ve had memorable performances on the show. Just my opinion!

• Matrix says:

Jessica needs to get her Stevie Nicks on! Can you imagine how she would kill it on Edge if Seventeen?

• deedee says:

I’m almost scared to say this because of the violent response I might get …

Not this season. There’s nobody in this cast who inspires the fans to get crazy loyal to the point of abusiveness toward “haters”, lol. That’s why I roll my eyes whenever Harry insists that this is the best crop of talent the show has ever seen. Haha. No, Harry.
      P.S. I totally agree with your assessment of Jessica.

• Mary says:

I love Jessica voice that simple. I would agree she needs to step it up for the stage but I would purchase an album of hers right now. I thought she loosen up a little last week but still needs more work. I feel sorry for the contestants because they are so green and to be honest I feel staging can be worked on. Carrie was stiff as a board during her season but she has come a long way. I think with the right mentoring Jessica can improve.

33. dre says:

thank you for making mondays amazing! I love you guys and appreciate the effort you put into this podcasts! especially with this season being so boring, your podcast is often better than the show. You guys were SPOT on this week. Especially about people not stepping up and relying on old sets lists. Love you guys!

34. SG says:

“Songs that was done better by Kris Allen”….this very very much! love You Slezak & Melinda! Your recaps are what I enjoy the most about every American Idol season, except for Season 8, were I totally enjoyed contestants more than anything else! Those recaps should really be televised…TV audience are missing out!

35. James says:

Rankings imho…

1. Jena – Has a voice like Candice but unlike Candice is actually interesting and fun
    2. Caleb – A pure rock soul is embedded deep within him…and it shows week to week
    3. Alex – Has the voice to match some of the best out there…but his face needs work
    4. Jessica – Has that unique look, but needs to be more active in performance
    5. Tie for 5th with Majesty and Malaya – one is on the rise up while another keeps falling
    7. Sam – His pretty boy looks won’t win the contest this year. Needs to step it up.
    8. Dexter – Generic country boy is on the verge of going home unless he has a moment next week.
    9. CJ – the sharpness and or pitch is just unbearable. Its practically a crime he hasn’t been in the bottom 3 yet.

• The Other Leah says:

What, does Alex need plastic surgery? I’m confused by your comment James.

• Mary says:

Like your response. I think James mean he looks like he is constipated on the stage, like his face is frozen in one position. He could crack a smile. If he wasn’t so young you could blame it on to much Botox.

36. Julie Anderson says:

Would Jason Mraz give us a “moment?” I’m not sure he would in the Idol tradition, but he absolutely is someone whose concert I would pay to attend and whose music I’d buy. Alex is more in this vein, but what does that mean for his Idol time? Should he even go for a BIG performance?

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote.

• Mary says:

True but Jason shows expression in his face while he is singing. I also remember Jason moving around on stage unlike Alex looks like a totem pole standing there.

• Stormy says:

ITA Jason is engaging and approachable. Alex is closed and off putting. I wouldn’t denigrate his talent, but he totally lacks the charisma required for the performing arts.

• Lynn says:

Probably not, but Jason Mraz isn’t on a TV show with sinking ratings. People don’t watch AI because it has contestants whose CDs viewers/voters claim they would buy or concerts they would attend. I’m assuming that very few viewers voted for Candice simply because they would buy her CD or attend her concert (based on her album sales and the dismal AI tour); they voted and watched because they enjoyed her performances on the show itself.

37. Matrix says:

Great job on idol, guys. But you’re phoning it in on the Voice. Why bother covering both if you are not even going to put any effort in (with respect to the Voice)?

• The Other Leah says:

I feel like The Voice shouldn’t even be a part of Reality Check at all. This has ALWAYS been an Idol based show. They just started adding in The Voice and it is just kind of like an afterthought. I’m sure there are plenty of other places to go where you can here extensive The Voice commentary. Us Idol fans still need an outlet. Let us have this one thing, please.

• Name That Tune says:

So for Season 14 (if there is a season 14), American Idol will run 14 weeks, probably from January to Mid March. Before The Voice starts its season. They will be free to run Idology without competition for those 14 weeks.
      When The Voice returns in late February, The Voice will be running without competition and we will see Reality Check have nothing else to talk about.

38. albean99 says:

My top 3 are Jena, Majesty, and Alex. Caleb has finally impressed me the past 2 weeks but didn’t like his chosen genre before that. I also like Sam but he’s become boring and Malayia has really improved so will see where she can go. I’m not a fan of Jessica at all. She has a decent voice but it’s not special to me plus she seems to have problems in her performances. Dexter doesn’t stand out in country and CJ was really bad last week. I really hope Majesty steps it up because she was my one to beat early on and has dropped so far.

39. Scott says:

Will we ever again get cut-ins to Downton, or Sherlock, or Dr. Who, or the other awesome references that used to populate Reality Check? I miss them.

• LeahKittyS says:

I miss them, too. Especially since I just discovered the awesomeness of Doctor Who last fall via Netflix binge. Oh well, I’m just honored they took my suggestion one time.

40. I love you Papi says:

Two thumbs up, I am spending more time watching you two than actual time watching AI. You hit it right on the head by keep referring to the contestants this year as “kids”. This group overall was just too young and too inexperienced. Jessica Sanchez at 16 vs Malaya Watson at 16 are miles apart and I think that is the problem. You are also right that we may have a winner by default which would be sad for a franchise like AI, but I never like this 13, talent wise, as a group.
    BTW, Melinda you are such a cutie pie, I have to tune in every week to see you laugh.

41. MrWHA? says:

i might receive some bash lol but my opinion? I dont think any one of these contestants deserve the title of American Idol. They are not on the same level of talent this show has offered. Even the previous winners I didn’t like met the bar.

42. Julie Anderson says:

I’m waiting for a YouTube music video parody I Luh Ya Puppy. Come on, can’t you all just picture it perfectly! Does it already exist? Please say yes.

43. Julie Anderson says:

So I just checked, and get this…there is not just one, but 4 videos!

44. GuitarBlue says:

Up to the top 6 is where we could see a “surprise” elimination due to vote splitting. But then, the “save” would save certain ones.

45. :( says:

I can see majesty becoming that person always in the bottom 3 ( like Elise, Syesha, Haley, etc.) but surviving until the top 3. Also, Jena has a great voice, but I cannot see her winning. A wildcard has never won ( but who knows with the votes this year). I say that if she has a bad week, she will go back to the bottom 3. I feel like Jessica is the only girl who has a shot at winning, since she hasn’t been in the bottom 3, and she’s what america likes. I have a feeling that Caleb is gonna get a surprise boot too.

• syb says:

All of this seems on target to me, but yeah, there has definitely already been surprises in the bottom group apparently due to the change in voting structure. Didn’t expect to see either Dexter or Sam in any danger this early.

46. Adam Fachry says:

I keep going back and forth with how I feel about Jena. I think her voice has a tendency to imitate. For some reason, she reminds me of Haley williams, but in a way that feels rather copycat-ish. I can hear it in her phrasing, inflection, and the way she does runs. She happens to have performed a song by Paramore–Haley also has done a work with Zedd–and some of her vocal deliveries thus far resemble Haley in Paramore’s later albums.

47. Grandma Jane says:

Did I see someone say Melinda had been on the Voice? I’ve never watched the show. But I was a BIG Melinda fan her year. Loved her voice , and love her on these videos. Wish I could see her live like Michael did, but I live far away. No one comes to Boise! But that one season, six, the Idol tour came. Never again.

48. GuitarBlue says:

Here’s the past 5 years of American Idol Winners’ First Albums on Billboard 200 Chart:- I think this was late feb. post this year.

Artist – Title – Debut Position – Debut Sales – Year

Kris Allen – Kris Allen – No. 11 – 80,000 – 2009
    Lee DeWyze – Live It Up – No. 19 – 39,000 – 2010
    Scotty McCreery – Clear as Day – No. 1 – 197,000 – 2011
    Phillip Phillips – The World From the Side of the Moon – No. 4 – 169,000 – 2012
    Candice Glover – Music Speaks – No. 14 – 19,000 – 2014

P Phillips also has his “Home” song placed in a number of commercials and advertising clips, since it was used on the broadcasting of the Olympics.

A good question was, will this years winner be by default?

49. Lou says:

Caleb and Jena are going to be top 2

50. Elisa says:

If I had known you were going to do two weeks of Reality Check together in NYC, I would have left a comment last week BEGGING you to lower the cameras/tripods. It’s SUPER awkward and unnatural looking down on you and Melinda from that angle. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the cameras eye level next time!!!