Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

DWTSIn a season that’s bound and determined to be “surprising” – including a surprise double-elimination this week and the impending prospect of the “Switch-Up” – there was still plenty of traditional fancy footwork on display on Week 2 of Dancing With the Stars.

While the jury’s still out on the popularity of gimmicks like viewer-voted partner-swapping — Question: does this mean fans could potentially pair Maksim Chmerkovskiy with, say, Charlie White or Billie Dee Williams? — tonight’s live show featured
a high-energy mix of Latin dances, jive and swing along with that humbling first (and second) elimination.

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Amy Purdy’s swing was simply sensational, and Danica McKellar (samba) and Charlie White (tango) may have juiced up the joint with their respective dances, but for my money, here’s the top dance of the night:

James Maslow & Peta Murgatroyd: Though James – whom Len Goodman already deemed the “eye candy” of season 18 – didn’t make good on his pre-dance tease to do a full-nude performance, the sizzling hot duo’s salsa nonetheless raised temperatures in the ballroom. “More of that please!” said Bruno, who noted a few “messy passes,” while Carrie Ann gushed that with his performance, James just joined the DWTS‘ sexy “hall of fame.” Their score of 25 tied Meryl and Charlie for tops of the night.

RUNNERS-UP | Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Making good on his promise to “throw Meryl around a little bit,” Maks led this dynamic duo through an energy-infused Swing, which thrilled the crowd — but not all the judges. This season’s not-so-cranky Len Goodman loved it (“that swing had wings” he said, showering them with a ‘9’), while Bruno’s praise (“a swinging acrobatic extravaganza”) was muted after he pointed out several of Meryl’s missteps, which Carrie Ann echoed before ending on this high note: “You are truly a star in these athletic numbers … fantastic.”

And now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

1ST ELIMINATION
Diana Nyad & Henry Byalikov

“For 9 years I’ve wanted to do this show,” said a gracious-but-clearly-shocked Diana, who swiftly praised both the “superlative” Henry (“I wish I could have given him a few more weeks”) and the show, which she called a “joy and freedom.” Thankfully, the radiant, resplendent-in-red Diana got to do her farewell (and fabulous) cha cha cha before hitting the sidelines.

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
NeNe Leakes & Tony Dovolani
Cody Simpson & Witney Carson
Sean Avery & Karina Smirnoff

2nd ELIMINATION
Sean Avery & Karina Smirnoff

“I made a new friend in Karina, I made some money for an amazing charity Friends in Deed, and I got out of the cold winter of New York,” Sean shared as he took his final bows. “It’s been a good month.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Did America get it right? If not, which couples should have really gone home tonight? Are you celebrating The Switch-Up or hoping it’s quickly shuttered to the DWTS scrapheap? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jon says:

Very surprised that Billy Dee Williams made it past the first week.

• Angela says:

So am I. But I’m not fazed one way or another about who did go home.
      I thought Danica’s dance tonight was amazingly good. And I liked Amy, too. I do have to agree with the judges on Candace-her dance wasn’t bad, but yeah, it did seem rather aggressive at times and like she just couldn’t feel comfortable letting herself get into the spirit of the dance. Again, if she’s got her personal convictions and attitudes, totally fine. But if she lets those beliefs affect the way she handles some of the more intense/sensual/sexy dances and moments, it is going to show in the scores she gets.

• velvetluv says:

I am along with you on that.I find some should of stay and he went home with 15 points. and moves was not interesting.

• Linda Lofton says:

Is DWTS a dance contest or popularity contest? Seriously there are some very good contenders no question. And there are some couples that COULD become dark horse contenders if given a chance. Billy Dee should have definitely gone home last night. Both weeks he was literally pushed around the floor like a shopping cart. I give him a lot of credit for coming on the show but seriously he can not compete with the other people even 10 yrs younger. Curt Avery I think could have been a dark horse contender down the line given a chance. I found him very interesting and I thought his dance last night was better than some. Diana, okay I’ll give her a pass. But the thing every season that really gets me is the star with a big popular fan base, that has two left feet and not a lick of timing, but continually remains on the show is a joke. I wouldn’t want to be in that position knowing that I suck after watching everyone else dance and then remain while someone that SHOULD have stayed on is off. DWTS needs to either have a dance competition or a popularity show. The first few weeks are painful to watch. WHERE is Brook Burke!!!!!!!?

2. TheFactsR says:

Yes, but actually Diana could have stay another week and Billy Dee gone instead. He dances badly. Diana’s wasn’t much better and very happy Sean is gone.

Surprised in James this week, he improved greatly.

Meryl is was underscored again this week. Was happy about Len’s score. Bruno and CAI can hit the doors anytime and it would not bother this ole gal. Len is usually cranky but more pleasant so far this season. He must have taken chill pills.

Erin Andrews should just Shut the HELL up. She is annoying. Her bashings Maks was already OLD during her season 10 and it is even OLDER now.

Erin is also egg shopping, hopefully she and Karina can talk about eggs when Erin is no longer on DWTS and I pray and hope that is IF the show continues in the fall.

Meryl is working her butt off and is treated like a dirty dish rag by the judges. They need to STOP IT NOW!

3. Jenny says:

The show was confusing and awkward tonight. There were times where I felt like they were making things up as they go along. Started with the double elimination and then how they went along giving results. Then every time one was on the floor they felt the need to show either Danica/Candace’s reactions. And how stupid with Jeremy Miller there tonight. Really? Stop trying to create drama where there is none. Finally there doesn’t need to be a cohost. Erin Andrews is horrible.

4. TheFactsR says:

I did enjoy the night more with elimination first then a dance just because they be at ease before leaving then continue the show! A great change!

Dancia and Meryl were underscored! CAI loves to pick on the C brothers. I think she is jealous of them.

• Stacie says:

I agree. They should have all eliminations at the top of the show. It draws viewers in, not to mention it makes the contestants at ease. Sure it sucks for one couple to leave before performing, but Sean didn’t look so happy tonight learning he’d be performing even though he could get eliminated a few minutes after. Since there isn’t a huge difference ya might has well eliminate the person first. By doing it at the end of the show it gets confusing because you just gave them scores for this week, but they might be eliminated so it doesn’t matter, and if they have a really great performance it will look bad that they just got eliminated. Doing it this way takes away the sting a bit. If this show is 1 day a week show, as it should be in it’s old age then they have to get rid of the performer in the beginning.

5. Ashley says:

So happy to see James making it to next week. He still has a lot to work on, but he’s nice to watch while he does so. Especially when Peta gets him fully shirtless, hopefully soon.

6. TheFactsR says:

I voted to switch Meryl/Val Maks/Dancia Derek/Candace Mark/NeNe Tony/Amy

7. Kate says:

This “Cody Simpson” character must be some sort of joke, yes?

8. Sara says:

I think Billy Dee should have probably gone home, but I think Sean & Diana were at the bottom of the totem pole too. I will assume that Billy Dee will be gone next week. If not, then I’ll get annoyed but so far, I’m okay with these results. Billy Dee is worse than Sean but Sean gives me the creeps.

• Delaine says:

He gives me the creeps too! I’m sure Karina wasn’t heartbroken by the elimination.

• Jennifer says:

I bet the producers were glad to get rid of him. When they saw that he was second to last, they decided to make it a surprise double-elimination. I laughed when Karina said she was disappointed that America didn’t get to see Sean’s personality – I think we saw enough.

9. Colleen Pippin says:

Does anyone miss Brooke? I sure miss her. Erin just talks too much. Too bad Karina couldn’t be paired with someone else and stay on a while longer. The two who should have gone home tonight are Billy Dee AND Diana. Something just seems really off this season, and I’m not as intrigued as in seasons past.

• TheFactsR says:

Erin asked bad questions. DWTS is not a FOOTBALL event! She is creepy! Billy Dee, Sean, Diana, were in my bottom 3! I think the crap that goes with Billy Dee should end next week. Emma is use to getting bad dancing through to the next week far too long. Hopefully he will leave next week before the switch ups.

Disney wants to promote Star Wars next movie, they use the show for stupid agenda!

• Kim R says:

Last week people were mentioning Erin’s voice and how it was grating to them. Well thank you very much because that is all I noticed about her this week!! :D I have found the most excellent way to view DWTS is to PVR it, fast forward to all the dances and skip all the things I don’t want to sit through. I’m going to be doing it this way from now on.
      As far as this weeks eliminations, Billie Dee should really have gone home. My goodness! A “no brainer”, as they say. :)

• Name This Tune says:

Ewe yes!Erin sounds like she’s interviewing Richard Sherman.

10. Tess says:

Does anyone else feel like the director’s gone on vacation this year? The cameras never seem to be able to get a decent shot of the dance – why so many close ups and audience blocked shots and cameras cutting in front of the shots – I want to see the whole dance not just someone’s face or their feet or reactions from the judges, skybox, or audience. Don’t they do dress rehearsals anymore? Why are the cameras always moving and yet never in the right position?! Two weeks in and they haven’t figured out where to put the cameras to get wide shots for each dance the whole way through so we’re not missing out on any of the action!

Meryl was underscored once again. I swear Carrie Ann and Bruno both must have been turned down by Maks and they never got over it, because it’s just like the last few seasons he was on when his partners get gipped points from their nitpicking. The double elimination wasn’t fair – fans and the stars should’ve been told that last week not have it sprung on us when the show started. Too many gimmicks this year and they are taking all the joy out of this show. Erin’s one of the few things I don’t mind – she doesn’t bother me like I thought she would and I don’t miss Brookebot one bit (though I doubt I would’ve even if Erin did bother me; I was never a fan of Brooke on the show).

• TheFactsR says:

I am bothered by Erin. I enjoyed letting 2 bad dancers go.Camre

The other points I agree with mostly. Meryl was underscored, Maks and Meryl’s routine was GREAT fun and GREAT dancing. Lets see CAI and Bruno do that dance and see how they do!

CAI and Bruno are so afraid Maks will take their jobs. Maks year off he actually took coaching classes and got his credentials. Maks is better qualified then both CAI and Bruno. Len is old but at least he is a “BALLROOM” judge as is Maks now.

Camera blocking is WORST than season 17. They are worse every year instead of better. They only showed waist high most of the time. Horrible. They are cutting cost and well camera are a dime a dozen so they say.

I do not miss Brooke either. The female host on DWTS has NEVER been satisfactorily filled.

• Kay says:

Good points and humor. Thank you for writing your perspectives.

11. qj201 says:

Shall we take a drink everytime Candace mentions being Christian?
    Really tired of these “christians” and their interpretation of the faith that they act like ALL christian’s hold. They don’t.

• Carrie says:

Thank you! It would have been okay if she had just left it at the costuming – modesty is rarely on display anymore (hi Peta) but if the very dance you chose for yourself goes against your beliefs your protestations become hypocritical – if her dance of choice was a waltz, foxtrot, jive, swing, quickstep there would not be an issue – seems like she chose rumba only to preach a message that was made null and void by the movie Footloose 25 years ago. Will she she refuse to swivel her hips in the name of Jesus when she gets a samba? She should take a page from Amy, who blows my mind with her positivity – that my dear Candace is a great display of God’s grace.

• TheFactsR says:

well not exactly, Amy mentions her legs flying off way too much. I know she has overcome a lot of stuff, but so has Meryl.

The difference is Meryl almost never mentions her short comings. Meryl just mostly says, I do have some issues when someone asks her about her limitations.

Before you think I bashed Amy. I did not. Only to say she too mentions the same things again and again.

It is that “heard you the first time”

Erin is another who just picks at a scab to watch it bleed!

12. MissMel says:

Candace’s faith is a huge part of who she is. There’s no reason she should have to let go of her beliefs to be on this show. This isn’t “Footloose” as someone said above. She’s not saying dancing is evil, she actually said she loves to dance. She’s just not comfortable with showing her whole body off to the world and I don’t see anything wrong with that. Since when is a little modesty a negative thing?

A good partner will find a way to work with any limitations they have. As much as I find Derek to be a little arrogant, he’s done a great job with this over the seasons, finding ways to work with Jennifer Grey’s neck injury, Amber Riley’s larger frame and now Amy’s prosthetic legs. Val also did this well when he was paired with Zendaya and he had to come up with age appropriate routines.

• TheFactsR says:

I agree, Christians had to draw a fish in the sand back in the day to say they were Christians.

this again

“heard you the first time”

Some people just pick a scab to watch it bleed.

13. JBC says:

I agree with those who say that the camera work is terrible this season. I want to see the WHOLE dance.
    As far as Meryl goes I do think she is being underscored. Also think Erin drools over Max and all the segments after Max and Meryl dance are awkward. Tom should interview them only.
    Everything seems a bit off this season. Hope it gets better.

14. Coop says:

It’s time to retire this show! Bring it back for a ‘special’ every few years or something…just not fun anymore! Don’t get me started on Erin, I thought Brooke was MILLION times better as a co-host :) Time to vote Erin off, otherwise I’m out for good…my wife agrees with me, which totally surprises me.

15. Aryn says:

The whole show just feels tired and boring. From camera angles, and awkward banter to airhead Erin as the new co-host. It’s time to say goodbye OR go back to the original format, bring back Brooke, and only do one season a year so they can concentrate on making that season the best ever!!!!!

• TheFactsR says:

May not be a show after Big Bang Theory and more of CBS Thursday shows move to Monday night! The ratings are dropping and Big Bang Theory will most likely take out DWTS. Unless DWTS moves to say Thursday night and then could add Friday back as a second night. Friday shows are easy to get.

16. Sarah says:

1) I’m not as bothered by Erin as everyone else seems to be. To me Brooke was a robot, anyone else has to be better. Maybe Erin talks too much but at least she’s a real live human. Who are we kidding though, they should just have Tom dash up the stairs with the couples and interview them up there – save some money, let him fill both roles.

2) Meryl and Maks are being way underscored and it’s going to get really annoying if this keeps up. I get that people are annoyed that she is an ice dancer and has a perceived advantage but who in their right mind is going to score her with an 8 and turn around and give Cody what’s-his-face the same score?? I think they need to seriously think about switching out this entire judging panel.

17. Barbie says:

Maybe it’s just me; but, it seemed like Meryl was uncomfortable with Max’s attentions at the beginning of the second show of the season. He had his lips all over her neck; and, she seemed to be squirming out of the embrace. Made me squirm to see it.