The Originals @ PaleyFest: Claire Holt Explains Her Exit, Plus Scoop on Elijah's 'Unraveling'

the-originals-group-blogThe entire cast of The Originals – including Claire Holt, who spoke publicly about her exit from the series for the first time — assembled at PaleyFest on Saturday night to give fans more insight into the series so far, as well as the drama to come.

RELATED | Exclusive Originals Sneak Peek: Marcel Enlists [Spoiler] to Help Him Defeat Klaus and Elijah

IS ELIJAH THE NEW KLAUS? | “The redemption of Klaus and the undoing of Elijah seems to be where we’re creeping towards,” Daniel Gillies explained. And don’t expect Klaus to object to his brother’s change of heart. “He likes to see Elijah embrace the darker side,” Joseph Morgan added. “There’s an excitement, definitely.”

CLAIRE HOLT’S EXIT EXPLAINED | “As far as I’m concerned, this is a temporary hiatus,” Holt said about her absence from the series. “I’m taking a little vacation in the sun, but I’m going to return to my New Orleans family.” Holt went on to assure the audience that Originals producers didn’t “run out of ideas,” nor was she “pushed out” of the show. After not seeing so many of her loved ones for so long, she decided she simply needed more free time. “I am so not ready to let go of the Mikaelsons,” she concluded. “I hope that there’s many more stories to tell.”

NO TIME FOR PEACE | Elijah may have seemingly united New Orleans’ supernatural factions last week, but make no mistake, no one is expecting it to last. “He’s starting to understand there’s a lot of method to Klaus’ madness and a degree of mayhem he can’t avoid,” Gillies explained. “I think he’s expecting poor results, but he’s giving the factions this one final opportunity to do the right thing — which is his thing.”

HAYLEY’S NEXT MOVE | What’s coming up for Klaus’ baby mama now that she’s getting a seat at the table? “Throughout Hayley’s life, she’s been looking for a family,” Phoebe Tonkin explained. “Now she’s just trying to work out where her loyalties lie and what she wants to fight for. She’s a woman on a mission to protect her baby and protect what she thinks is right.”

ANOTHER CROSSOVER | When an audience member asked about more crossover episodes with The Vampire Diaries, executive producer Julie Plec had only this to say: “Yes… Maybe… I don’t know.”

Originals fans, are you excited to see Elijah go dark? Did you like Claire Holt’s explanation of her exit from the show? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. kavyn says:

I’m so glad to hear Claire Holt will return. She is the primary reason I tuned in, and her absence is noted with the last episode. It’s really not the same show without her.

• Patrick says:

I call rehab or secret pregnancy.

Also, that I am a jerk, so unclench already.

• stevie says:

rehab.

• Patrick says:

There was a recent blind item on a gossip site that referenced a fairly famous actress who was soon heading to rehab for a fairly extended stay. It further said that this would be hidden and managed by her people as they faked her social media accounts and feed them photos that had already been taken in the past so as to appear that those photos were current. That would be very easy to do with Australia just finishing its summer.

• Benington says:

Claire looked wonderful in the last episode, unusual for someone needing an extended stay in rehab. Stop the negative speculations and get a life…or rehab.

• Rick says:

People don’t just up and leave a show for nothing. And it isn’t for family because everyone has family. I never heard anyone ever say Im taking off from a hit show just to spend some time with family. If anyone has seen photos of Claire not on set or out and stuff knows she isn’t the happy faced Rebecca we see on the show.Im betting its rehab. You would be surprised how many people use, especially Hollywood stars.

• Drew says:

Rick, people leave TV shows in order to spend more time with family all the time. Your never hearing about it doesn’t meant that it isn’t so. Making up stories about someone to fit the narrative in your head is a little crazy.

• Danielle H. says:

I am shocked so many people are WTFOMGing over this… it’s not like they ever planned for her to be gone forever. If that was the case, there would have been interviews and announcements post-departure. Rebekah will be back at the right time. I support a break on her part. It is good for the character who has been kind of in hell for like 1000 years, and it allows a more focused view on the story line.

2. Katy says:

Does anyone else feel like TO has turned into a boys club? Don’t get me wrong I enjoy Hayley but really there aren’t many girls on the show that are regulars. As for Rebekah leaving yes it hurts the show, you can bring in Kol but once again there is another guy that would make 4 men with 2 females (Hayley and the blonde nope dont know her name she bores me tbh)

• joao says:

they should bring back their mother, she’d be a great female antagonist to the show imo

• Katy says:

Oh yes that would be a good idea! The show just needs some strong females because right now you have 3 strong leading men with Klaus, Elijah, Marcel. Hayley can only do so much.

• sls says:

Love this idea! She would add a great element.

• Isobel says:

The actor for Kol is going to be in the supernatural spinoff, so he’s not coming back, I don’t mind Hayley so much but I agree Cami is boring

• wgsecretary says:

Kol is dead. He was killed by Jeremy last season on The Vampire Diaries.

• Brooke says:

A character being “dead” is the LAST thing to keep someone from coming back in the TVD/TO universe!

• wgsecretary says:

True. But, the original poster said they should bring back Kol in a way that made it sound like they thought it could be a permanent thing. Even in the TVD/TO universe, dead is usually dead. Sure, you may come back as a ghost or something, as Kol did, but they don’t make a habit of raising a dead vampire for a permanent or long term stay. When they brought back the harvest girls, it was kind of a big deal and not everyone even believed it possible. But, Kol was killed with the white oak stake and burned to a crisp. It really wouldn’t make sense for the writers to try to write their way around that. It would diminish too much of the mythology they’ve created for the show. But yes, I agree that dying on one of these shows does not mean the character will never be seen again. But in Kol’s case, it’s not likely they could bring him back to join the show regularly, or even semi-regularly.

• Carmell says:

LOL!!!(the blonde whom i don’t know her name coz she bores me)High five me either!!!

• Lyle Anderson says:

Literally no. The season began with 3 male and 5 female main characters, and we’ve had plenty of female recurring characters such as Celeste, Genevieve, Agnes and the new character, Francesca. I think the show could do with a couple more series regulars, perhaps a man and a woman.

3. Mary Kate says:

Yay for Rebekah returning eventually and yes to hopefully more crossover episodes with TVD!

4. Robby says:

I’m not thrilled with Claire Holts exit, no matter how temporary, but would rather her leave the canvas periodically than have her stay and keep rehashing the same story beats (Klaus the abusive brother and Will They or Won’t They with Marcel).

5. B. says:

They were really fun to watch! Love this cast. Also it got so awkward when Joseph had to answer that Klaroline question. I feel bad for them though because they are just supposed to pretend it never happened now. Also Daniel Gillies is so handsome! <3

• B. says:

*feel bad for the Klaroline fans I mean

• Tina says:

What was the klaroline question? And what was his answer?

• Darla says:

A girl asked him if he was Team Klaroline – and he graciously tried to handle the situation. He started by saying something like “Let’s all have a little talk” and then proceeded to say his feelings on what Caroline brought out in the role of Klaus – but that in the long run he wouldn’t want to ruin Caroline with Klaus.

• Rachelle says:

so basically after oh 2 years of riling up fans on twitter and being the main Klaroline cheerleader he is deciding that he isn’t team klaroline? Does this not bother everyone else? I am sure he is only doing what producers tell him to and i know he doesn’t write the show but it still grates on my nerves.

• kavyn says:

You mean before he knew they would make a spin-off show starring him without Caroline? What exactly do you expect him to say? “Oh I hope Caroline leaves The Vampire Diaries for my show so that we can be together?”

• Darla says:

I think it is an impossible situation for him to say the “right” thing about. Candice is on one show & he is on another. They both likely want what is best for thier characters within the framework of thier individual series. Which means Klaroline is probably at an end for the time being. Julie Plec said at one point in the evening (possibly during the TVD portion) that she felt like removing Caroline from TVD would hurt the series, so I doubt very much she could/would join TO before TVD ends its run.

• Carmell says:

I think joseph morgan doesn’t like the idea having klaroline on TO for whatever reasons!!!I find klaus was an interesting person on TVD but now on TO he’s acting like a little boy that yelling to everyone coz they don’t give him what he wants!and maybe he likes the idea having something with cami coz as i’ve once watch an interview with him he said:”klaus is fascinating about cami coz she’s human and that would be an interesting storyline”!Seriously????bla bla bla!!!She’s sooo boring a really boring character that everytime i see her i would like to vomit!sorry no intention to offend fans!
      i really think they wanted only to give hope for the fans so that the fans would watch their spin off too!!!but i don’t even think they have an intention to bring Klaroline together!!!i don’t even believe plec anymore!!!
      And Yes i do like Elijah more and more he is the real king of NO!!!He is really acting like a king!I did like klaus on TVD but since i’m watching TO and all the interviews jomo is doing i really start to dislike him and anyway now i’m thinking more he isn’t for team Klaroline so get off jomo.He’s really a talented actor no doubt about that but really what happened with klaus we knew on TVD compared to now???or it’s just me who noticed that????
      Well didn’t meant to offend you JoMo but i’m a big Klaroline shipper!if there’s no Klaroline than theres no reason watching your show!!Good luck for that!!!

6. Kaycee says:

Thank The Lord! Claire is the best thing about TO, I need her to balance out the overly annoying Klaus and the pushover that is Elijah.

7. david says:

She will probably return for the season finale when their mom will return from the dead (probably by the witches/marcel). if not it will probably be next fall

• Isobel says:

Next fall I’d say, hopefully she’ll have someone actually good enough for her and they’ll not do a Rebekah/Marcel/Cami triangle, the Klaus/Cami/ Genevieve/Marcel thing going on is silly enough especially given how boring Cami is

8. Adam Lenhardt says:

I’ve had the first post-Rebekah episode sitting on my DVR since it aired, because I couldn’t muster the interest to watch it. Of the three siblings, she’s the most interesting, and I worried what the decision to write her out said about the producers’ priorities.

Happy to hear she’ll be back in some capacity in the relatively near future.

9. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you so much, However
    I am having troubles with your RSS. I don’t understand why
    I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting
    the same RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

10. Ann says:

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that Claire Holt is returning to “The Originals” I have been hoping that actually this was something of the case, it had to do with her family. I am so excited to see her return I don’t care when just so she returns. I think that she is a wonderful actress and a beautiful heart. Thank you so much ‘powers that be’ for her return.
    Keep doing what you do best.

11. itsbighead says:

still better than vampire diaries anyday

12. Angel says:

Glad to hear we hopefully haven’t seen the last of Rebekah! Now they just need writers who have better ideas for Rebekah beyond her life revolving around being screwed over by men.

13. Haysheesh says:

I’m glad to hear Clare will return. She does such a great job playing Rebbekah. Nice of the bosses to let her have a breather for whatever reason

14. dude says:

THANK GOD! Best news that could have come out of Paleyfest. The Originals is not the same without her. She is the best female character on television.

15. A says:

I wish Elijah and his accent were in every scene of every episode

16. Brooke says:

Yes, PLEASE return, Claire Holt. You’re the best thing about this show.

I don’t know how I feel about heading toward a Klaus redemption while Elijah falls apart. isn’t this just sort of repeating the Damon/Stefan cycles we go through with a different set of brothers? Is that really very interesting?

17. Taylor says:

I hope this is true and that Rebekah will return for good!

18. B says:

I really hope Rebecca returns!

19. Mary says:

I kind of liking the idea of a klaus and Genevieve

20. B says:

I <3 this show! It's amazing! It's first season has been amazing! TO is better than TVD! I love Davina and I'll keep watching even though I'll miss Rebecca!

21. ... says:

I don’t buy that she was able to get out of her contract and lost her series regular status due to being sad over missing her family. There’s something else that they’re not telling us – rehab, on-set tension, the writers not wanting/knowing how to write for her, something beyond “I’m homesick.”

22. sls says:

Whatever the reason, I hope Claire does return. She is essential if this show is going to run many seasons. If Elijah is drifting to the dark side (which may be fun to watch, or sad, I’m not sure which) then we need Rebekah for a bit of balance.
    I get why people don’t like like Cami but I actually appreciate her. She is not a total pushover. She fights for what she wants and believes and she is doing the best she can to hold her own in this messed up paranormal world she only just discovered. Not much more you can ask for from a human in this position.
    Looks like we are going to have a human female villain in the mix now with the woman that runs the casinos. So I think if this show is going to add humans into the story lines I would rather them be able to hold their own and not just be pathetic blood bags or weak romantic interests.

• wow says:

Cami’s storyline is not the problem it’s more her acting skills…Not good at all.

• sls says:

Her acting doesn’t bother me. I’m not saying she’s great…just that her skills or lack there of don’t bother me. I have noticed people saying her character is boring. I disagreed.

For a spin-off show on the CW I really don’t have extremely high expectations of the quality of the actors. Maybe if I did I would be experiencing more of the disappointment others are having. If this show continues past the 2nd season I might develop an expectation or two but, for now, I’ll just see how things play out.

23. wow says:

Yes. I can’t take Hayley and her hillibilly family. Someone needs to take out Oliver for setting up Bex or better yet let Bex do it when she returns.

24. troll says:

I could care less if she comes back, I never liked her character and her voice was truly annoying.

25. Honey says:

We know she has to be there for little Klausette to be born. Her Aunt Bex wouldn’t miss that little part of her life just go by without being there to welcome her new neice being born. I can certainly understand missing family, I do that every day to no avail. Thank God that they are bring her back.

26. sarah says:

That is great news that Claire will be back on the Originals!
    I too wonder if there was a personal reason that she was leaving for.

27. Michael Lui says:

This is so great that my little baby princess finally gets her long awaited and well overdue lead role on a TV show that she starred in.

28. Verity says:

What a relief that Claire will be coming back! I absolutely love TO, but was honestly concerned about a future without Rebecca. Whatever her reason for a break, I hope she received what she needed. SO happy!!!

29. Kat says:

Please leave Caroline OUT of TO. I want NO crossover eps and to erase TVD completely!

30. Toooo says:

We need Rebekah to balance out the originals
    It was fun watching elijah and klaus fight over their little sister. And with Rebekah back they’ll most likely be untouchable.