Scandal Post Mortem: Jeff Perry Reflects on Cy's 'Grave Miscalculation,' Previews 'Rage' to Come

Scandal Recap James Shot DeadThis week on ABC’s Scandal, the answer to “Who got shot?” came swiftly, and startlingly. For Jake did not merely fire a warning shot in the direction of David and James, nor did he shoot at some unseen party.

No, his target was in fact one of the two familiar faces standing before him, and soon enough the truth became evident: journalist-turned-White House press secretary James Novak, aka the Chief of Staff’s husband, had been fatally wounded.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The hour thus teed up a tour de force by Jeff Perry, who over the course of three seasons regularly has regaled viewers with his delivery of words, but here communicated so much with silences, glazed eyes, and then with guttural sobs. TVLine spoke with the actor immediately after Thursday’s episode, about tackling the emotionally draining material, and how rage will play into Cyrus’ grieving process.

TVLINE | That was quite an episode….
I marvel at the writers. They just keep taking it organically and crazy to the next cliff, with every storyline, every character.

TVLINE | When you got to end of the previous script, did you have your own theory about “Who got shot?” Or did you know?
For some days, we had exactly what you had last week, which was, “Whoa, whoa, whoa, is this a misdirect? Is it David? James? Is it neither of them…?”

TVLINE | So there is a moment where Jeff Perry fears for the fate of his TV husband?
Oh yeah. Yeah. Actors, we all know that we’re servants to a bigger story, that a fiery car crash could come at any time. But yeah, it’s amazing how a rabid audience and actors are alike, how personally you take story. So I was really scared. I was silently thinking, “No, no, no, they wouldn’t do this.” And once we kind of internally knew, then there was a real “mourning” period.

RELATED | ABC Sets Season Finale Dates for Scandal, Once Upon a Time, Grey’s and More

TVLINE | And then you get the script for an episode like tonight’s. Is such material intimidating for an actor, or slightly intoxicating?
Honestly, I love the stuff that scares me. You pray that you can do justice to something and get at it as authentically as possible. It’s a conflicted, multiple-feelings-at-the-same-time kind of thing, because part of me dreaded going there, because you know that for 10 or 14 days some part of your heart’s going to be in a really bad place. So I was like, “Wow, I love the difficult challenges, but I don’t think I like this.” I was deflated.

TVLINE | In prepping for this interview, I was thinking back to Season 1, where Cyrus wasn’t without his flaws, but he was at the top of his game. And now… well, he’s fallen. How he has fallen over these three seasons.
It’s true. Little by little. There’s been the unending pressure of trying to caregive and head off problems at the pass. It makes you think of how every president in our lifetime, whether it be for one term or two, ages like 30 years. This show is getting at that, how these problems don’t cease, they only get bigger. And in Season 3, [Scandal creator] Shonda [Rhimes] threw a beautiful mess at Cyrus – now, the professional caregiver’s DNA is going to take him to a place where he makes a grave miscalculation and he causes the problems. The desperate attempt to keep Sally in the fold and deciding clearly misguidedly that pimping out his husband will be a blip on the radar screen…. He sacrificed his own marriage and, as far as he knows, it looks like he has made reelection impossible. What always drives Cyrus is the belief that, “Dammit, we can be a great presidency if we can get past our own horses–t.” But oh man, life and self-perpetuated mess keeps rearing its head.

TVLINE | It’s got to eat at him, how he could have left Sally to twist in the wind for Daniel Douglas’ murder, but instead his choices lost him the love of his life.
Yeah, that was a big miscalculation, assuming that he would cement some loyalty from her. Instead, it just emboldened her to take on a different trajectory and cause this giant mess for Cyrus to cover up. It’s kind of a beautiful, Greek fatal flaw in the character, not knowing when too much is too much.

RELATED | Grey’s Is Bringing Back Derek’s Sister Amelia on a Recurring Basis — But Why?

TVLINE | How do you get to the place you need to go to for something like the press conference breakdown scene?
[Sighs heavily] It’s a combo platter of emotion…. Part of it is the pretend world has become real enough, the amount of time that James and I have had, and the script evokes that. And part of it is a kind of substitution of real-life stuff that hurts like crazy. Working with those images and feelings.

TVLINE | As sad as it must be to lose Dan Bucatinsky as a scene partner, you must be happy that you two got to flesh out James and Cy’s early days and courtship.
It was beautifully done by the writers. That first kiss, all the way to the end. What I love about the relationship is that the reason Cyrus loves James so is that he got Cyrus to see himself, to reveal himself, to be honest with himself. To come out and be his true self, and get over a lifelong fear, for a guy his age. It was beautiful character writing to make that happen in a single episode. Somebody was tweeting tonight, and it’s so touchingly true, that you don’t get these crystallized hits of what you value sometimes until it’s slipping away or it’s gone.

TVLINE | Safe to say that Fitz knew what Cyrus was trying to share, about his new romance?
Yeah, I thought so. And I just loved Tony [Goldwyn]‘s work in that scene. Fitz is such a lovely man there. He does know, and he’s just trying to let him know, “It’s OK, Cyrus, you can say it. I won’t hate you.” Because that’s always the fear, that there’ll be a wall that wasn’t there before.

TVLINE | The promo for next week suggests a heated confrontation between Cyrus and Jake. What can you say about that?
What Shonda has Cyrus going through now is different aspects of grief. There’s rage, and depression, and reflection…. But with Jake, there’s a somewhat understandable — simultaneously misplaced, in a way, but understandable — rage. In simple-minded terms, it’s like, “I asked you to kill Sally….” [Laughs]

TVLINE | So there’s some acting out ahead? Reverberations through to the end of the season?
Yeah. Yeah. This is going to definitely gong to reverberate through the rest of the season for Cyrus. This is the largest thing he’s had to deal with, and as you said, so much of it is bitterly hard to take because he knows how much of it he caused.

What did you think of this week’s Scandal episode, and Jeff Perry’s performance?

1. Mark says:

Kinda boring episode.

• cccloc says:

I stopped watching last week, when it went totally over the top. And too soap opera for me. Liv is still the “whore” and that. is. really. boring. And all these convoluted double double crosses….too much for my brains to absorb.

• Cheyenne says:

Maybe the show is too complex for you. Try the Sprout Channel.

• ... says:

Or they’re just tired of the cynical, overwrought, clumsily plotted mess this show has turned into this season.

• Jooshua says:

I love this show.. but I despise the ‘oh you don’t like it.. you must be too stupid to understand it’ comments.. somebody who reacts differently to things you enjoy isn’t a stupid person. Like seriously that is pathetic.

• Mary says:

I agree with the comment above (@by) and I don´t find the show too complex for me…what I think is that the writters tried to put so much stories at the same time that none of them gets my interest, it´s too soapy for my taste, too much Olivia being the President´s mistress and not the strong woman who worked and solved things she used to be (and on top of that I don´t like Kerry Washington acting and find her more annoying week by week). Thai is my opinion, I don´t speak for any others. Yours is different? OK, I respect that:)

• yay says:

As much as I love Scandal, I kind of agree with your opinion. Olivia is no longer the badass character that we loved to see every week. Remember season one when she would say stuff like “all cylinders people let’s go!” I understand the whole chemistry with Fitz and everything. They just need to find a way to get the old Olivia back.

• SallyinChicago says:

^^ This. I am so over Kerry Washington’s “acting.”

• Terri says:

You can totally tell that they have downplayed Olivia’s role for now while she is big and pregnant. They have switched all the strong storylines to the others, (ie. Melly getting the sex scenes, yuck!) instead of Liv and the President. That will all come back once Kerry has her baby. I have faith.

• Carolyn says:

I still enjoy the show. I also do not like Fitz. You do not ever tell someone’s father that his daughter tastes good in bed. That is sick. I think Daddy Dearest summed him up quite nicely in the cell when he called him a boy. I am a disappointed that Liv is no longer the confident fixer she was in earlier seasons. I hope they know where they are taking her character and they are not permanently dumbing her down to a victim type character. If it goes on much longer II will join those of you who say they are fed up.

• Mary says:

@Terri
            I don´t want to see Olivia and The President having sex (I don´t root for them and they are not the reason I enjoyed the show) – what I´d like to see is Scandal being the show it was at first, with the OPA having to solve and handle some geat cases.

• PJ says:

LoL my thoughts exactly …

• mmel says:

Cheyenne,
          The ignorant comments below about Kerry Washington are the reasons I get so upset when the show turns into the Mellie show. When this show started the idiots were everywhere hoping that it would fail and you can tell it is because they could not fathom the idea of someone like her or who looks like her would be the lead in a major show. So I (plus millions of others) decided would be loyal to the point where the network had no choice but to give it a second chance. These same people are still around except now that it is popular they want to give it to the person they always thought deserve to be the lead. To have Shonda turn the show into an unrecognizable mess so that Mellie and Jake can become the stars kind of gets under my skin.

• Mary says:

I tought a little before posting this, because I don´t consider myself an idiot…but because I said I don´t like Kerry Washington ACTING (yes, her acting, not her or anything related to her) I decided I should clarify it.
            I used to enjoy the show when it really was about OPA – I was never a fan of K.W. acting (for me, she´s a normal actress, nothing special), but I liked Olivia as a carachter, she was a strong, decided woman and I never cared about how she looked like!
            So, as you can see I was never a person who tought the show should be about Mellie – actually I don´t like the show anymore and I´ve been watching only to see if it goes back to what it was – BUT if you ask me if I prefer watching Bellamy Young or Kerry Washinton acting, then I´ll tell you I definetly prefer Bellamy, at least in this show and at this point.
            And, honestly, calling someone an idiot because they don´t have the same taste as you? Yeah, classy…

• A Rocks says:

Agreed, and one of the main reasons why I stick up for the OLITZ dynamic. It is interesting that so many of them who were hiding behind adultery as the reason for their hate of the OLITZ goodness now have nothing to say about Mellie not keeping her legs closed.

Shonda needs to keep the writing crisp and return to what made the show a success in the first place.

• mmel says:

Mary, I happen to think that Bellamy overacts in every scene she is , this a is trademark of soap opera actors and that is fine since that is what Scandal has become. . However, I have never once commented on her acting because I don’t believe it is necessary. I happen to believe that Kerry is very subtle, she is not given the great speeches or even lines but if you look at her expressions you can feel what Olivia is feeling and to me that is way more than going around like you are on Escandalo all the time, but like I said there was no need to bring that up but since you insisted.

• Ram510 says:

Try NCIS. It’s slow paced, has little to no character development and you know at about the 50 minute mark each and every week you get to find out who (obviously) “did it”. No surprises for your brain to absorb

• stevie says:

at least it’s not “over the top”-palooza like scandal. i used to love this show, i loved the cases of the week, the dynamic between the people at “olivia pope & partners”. it all went downhill. now we’ve got a childish, lovesick excuse of a president, olivia crying all the time, huck & quinn who turned into cheek-licking psychopaths and an overall plot that’s so ridiculous, so absurd it’s almost comedic.

• Et al says:

Leonard likes this post!

• Karen says:

I agree it’s gone over the top. Lost interest and stopped watching last week as well. Liked it so much better when it was more about Liv’s case of the week rather than the convoluted mess it’s become.

• natasha_0726 says:

I agree to missing the weekly cases but I dont agree that its too convoluted or like others have said that the storylines are coming from left field. We all know that there are conspiracies in the government and coverups, we all know that there are cheating presidents or presidents some people think got elected thru shady ways. This show just slams it all together and put all the dirty dealings out in the open. Remember while it is a written drama it is still based on a real person who consults on the show. Scandal may amplify things but they are still realistic.

P.S. I will say that scene with Quinn and Huck was gross but there are people who hate each other and do horrible things to one another yet hook up anyway so that was really not that suprising either..

• scorpo says:

ugh this show has become a parody of itself. I am so hoping they can straighten things out and redirect the train wreck for season 4.

• Terri says:

Question…..dont judge, but i’m just not getting it….Why did B16 put a hit on James? Why do they care of the truth gets out there that the VP killer her husband? I’m a bit confused about all of the B16 stuff…..Any help??/

• herman1959 says:

Terri, here it is in a nutshell: Cyrus, the President’s Chief of Staff, helped Sally cover up the murder of her husband. Sally, who is not mentally stable, threatened to confess which means that Cyrus’s involvement would also be revealed. Since his Chief of Staff and VP are guilty, many citizens would jump to the conclusion that the President is also involved which would result in them losing faith in their government ( a/k/a”the Republic”).

For the above reasons, Cyrus asked Jake, as Command of B613, to have Sally killed, but the twist came when Jake, while investigating the murder, had Quinn steal the file from Olivia’s office. It contained the names of those involved in the investigation of the cover-up. Jake killed all of them, except for David (who didn’t have any firsthand info), to prevent the cover-up from being revealed.

2. MissKwame76 says:

Not surprised James was killed. He married a bad guy and couldn’t handle it or that world. He needed to be put out of his misery.

3. JP says:

DAMN… That may have been the finest hour of broadcast TV this year.. so much going on, so much emotion… But that scene with Cyrus breaking down… Performer of the week (tie with Melissa mcbride)

• mo says:

Cyrus really had me there. I watched Parenthood on my DVR after and Max wondering why the other kids hated him shattered me. As a mom of two boys with autism, I totally understood that raw emotion. The (end of the) 10:00 hour was one that required tissues for me!

• Saabgirlatx says:

Same here. Felt deeply for Max then lost it when Cyrus melted down at the podium. Wow.

• Jasmine says:

I watch both also. Parenthood, is the best show on TV, in my opinion, but Scandal is good too. I am a fan of the show and a fan of Olivia. Don’t hate me, but I am not a fan of Olivia & Fitz. I prefer Olivia in charge and fixing everyone else’s scandals. I would like for her to move on from Fitz & Jake. I liked Quinn, but would have preferred Quinn taking the bullet instead of James. Cyrus breakdown at the Press Conference was very emotional and very well done. After I got myself together, I did think maybe Cyrus had it done. It’s not like he hadn’t considered it.

• Annie says:

Agreed. I don’t get all the above comments – this was batpoop crazy Scandal at its batty-poopiest. And wow, Jeff Perry just killed it (pardon the pun) in that last scene with the press corps.

• Jill says:

Could not agree more!

4. C. says:

I’m not surprised that it was James, but I was not expecting this to be such an emotional episode. The last 3 or four minutes really wrecked me. Between Cyrus’ breakdown and watching James die….I’m feeling a lot of feelings, and I don’t know what’s what.

What I am most shocked by is Quinn and Huck. Out of all the ridiculous, crazy stuff to happen my screen, that not only grossed me out the door, but was seriously unexpected.

• Annie says:

Really? I was thinking “get a room” at these two weeks ago.

• Morgan says:

Agreed. I threw up a lot, I mean a little in my mouth.

• herman1959 says:

DITTO. I also have to add, poor, stupid James – he actually tried to run! And, come on Jake, burying people in the daylight? Scott Foley, you really brought it, but I hope that this is the beginning of the end of Jake and B613 (PLEASE Shonda).

5. kara says:

I’m happy James died he was annoying. Beyond happy we got a break from Olivia/Fitz drama.

And YES TO MELLIE AND ANDREW!!! My girl got some.

6. Para says:

I love Jake in this episode!!! So tortured when he kills people.

7. Ian says:

Classic Scandal tonight. One of the best episodes this season for sure. I was GLUED the whole hour. It didn’t let up!

Poor James. I never really knew just how much I liked him until this episode. And I don’t fell like they manipulated me, which is what made it so great. You were just genuinely heartbroken by the end of the hour.

• chester says:

James feels like the most real character on the show.

• Euvee says:

This is my 3rd best episode from this subpar season. I wept like a baby when Cyrus broke down, it was heart wrenching. *sob* The flash back & the beautiful coming out story also got me shedding a few tears. I’ll truly miss James, he was one of my favourite characters. Ps I’m in the minority but I love Quinn, sometimes even more than Olivia. Even though in season 2 I was all about HuckleberryQuinn, the kiss floored me but I’m here for it. I’m dying to see how Charlie takes it. Just, please, no love triangle Shonda! *puke*

• JON says:

Huckleberry Quinn. LOVE THAT!! Haha. Did you come up with that on your own? Or has that been going on in the message boards already?

PS Will start using that now.

• Euvee says:

LOL! I wish! HuckleberryQuinn has been a thing on twitter since the early days, when Huck took Quinn under his wing.

• N Spa says:

I liked the couple dynamics of Cyrus and James and this was one of the many reasons I watched Scandal. The flashback scenes were truly touching and broke my heart. The way James was killed and the scene at the end with Jake talking to James as he lay dying was more than I could take. I was deeply disturbed by the turn of events. I enjoyed the fast and furious pace of the show but this episode left a low and sad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt the show ended an important relationship dynamic. The way James was killed and Cyrus breaking down did it for me. I will never watch this show again. It went beyond my tolerance level.

8. TVPeong says:

So much happened in this episode:
    – Quinn and Huck, who saw that coming?
    – I thought for sure that Cyrus had ordered the hit on James, but when he broke down, I realized that he didn’t do it.
    – Mama Pope is crazy
    – Papa Pope: Hello Olivia… what do you want?
    – And Mellie finally got a man who wants her and isn’t thinking about another woman.

Can’t wait for next week!

• Lorilei says:

I think Cyrus knows he was responsible. He ordered the hit, not knowing (hopefully) that it included James. But with Cyrus, who knows? He did pimp James out. That one act started the ball rolling.

• Cheyenne says:

Cyrus set the whole thing up. His grief is intensified a million times by guilt.

9. Lorilei says:

Wow, how did Jake kill 3 people but come out looking like the good guy? Olivia is so stupid for standing with Fitz.

• Carly says:

THIS! So true. Jake staying with James was so heartbreaking, and yet so beautiful. He is a good guy and he’s the better guy.

Also Cyrus… no words. An outstanding performance from Jeff Perry, one of many.

• Cheyenne says:

Jake is a good guy?! He shot James badly so he would take a longer time to die in pain and then sat there and watched him die, playing like he was so sorry?! He would have done it all over again in a New York minute.

• Catherine says:

I agree 100%. Jake is evil. “You’re almost there. Any minute now.” That is not comforting. There wasn’t beautiful. It was awful. I hate Jake.

• Leah says:

I don’t think he was playing at it. I think he really was truly sorry. I don’t doubt he’d have done it all over again, because I don’t think a person in his position can psychologically afford to second guess their choices once they’ve made them. But I think he knew that was the best he could do. I haven’t seen anything that tells us he’s a sadist that gets off on inflicting pain, wanting to sit there and watch James die. If he only wanted to make sure James actually died, he could’ve done that without talking to him at all. He could’ve waited at the car, then gone to check his pulse. Jake had a point, what he told Olivia. He knew what a horrible thing this was, so he put the burden on himself to do it, rather than ordering someone else to. Reminded me of Ned Stark on GoT. This is the point, is it not? It isn’t black and white. People are not just good or bad. They’re always some of both.

• Lara says:

Jake didn’t aim well when he shot James. He miscalculated and made a messy mistake. In order to ensure that the cover up of a sloppy car jacking worked he had to let him die slowly, and in a lot of pain… anything else the forensic teams would have picked up as a professional hit or something else entirely. James died, but at least he didn’t have to die alone and cold on a pavement. Jake, whatever capacity he has left to feel, was genuinely sorry. B13 put the weight of the world on his shoulders… I don’t think people understand what monsters it makes of men.

• herman1959 says:

Jake didn’t make a miscalculation. If you review the death scene, Jake does apologize to James for the sloppy shot AND he explains that he had to do it that way to make it look like an amateur carjacking. That was why he didn’t shoot James in the head (unlike the women) and he used a different gun. It was intentional, but James made it worse when he ran.

• kitty says:

Jake CHOSE command of B613 instead of walking away. Like every other adult he needs to own his choices. He chose to murder James rather than threaten him and he chose to impose his presence on his victim so that the last face James saw was that of his killer as he slowly bled to death because Jake CHOSE to kill him slowly.

• Para says:

Jake is the head of b6-13 Of course he needs to do what has to be done, I don’t blame him at all.

• kitty says:

Jake only came out looking like the good guy to the morally bankrupt. He MURDERED 3 innocent people. Can you even HEAR yourself? Your hate of Fitz is making you irrational.

• Nikki says:

THIS!! OMG the rationalizations of Jake being a good guy because he sat and watched a guy HE SHOT die is so damn bananas to me. Absolutely crazy and I refuse to can to with nonsense.

• mmel says:

I decided to watch it today because of all of these people falling over themselves to make Jake look good Jake is not good, he was never good and will never be good, no one on Scandal is. I think these people have Fits derangement syndrome, they would justify anything as long as it makes Fitz look bad, to them adultery and not loving your wife is the worst sin a man can commit.
        Some even blame Fitz for it.

• MsIsis says:

To quote Olivia…”They’re all Murderers!!” That includes Fitz, my dear. No one is entirely good, and no one is entirely evil. And that’s the point.

• mmel says:

@Msisis
          I think my little brain (as puny as you believe it is) can decipher this show enough to know that is the point of the show since I specifically said no one on Scandal is good. I have never once glossed over the fact that Fitz is a murderer, that would be hypocritical. My point is many people have so much hate for Fitz that no matter what Fitz does he is a bad guy, but these same people when it comes to Jake find that either it not his fault, he is tortured, he has a good heart with a bad job or even worse it is Fitz’s fault for making him command. To me that screams your hate for this character blinds you to everything else that is going on on the show.

10. Juan says:

An i the only one that cried when Cyrus broke down after the flashback. Cause I was just bawling lol

• Nicole says:

I was sad to see James die. I kind of saw it coming last week if Cyrus was like all I Love You and your most important. Also he is a recurring character. I was tearing up when Cyrus got up to speak to the press. I was like this is not a good idea. Someone get him down when he started to cry. It was nice that it was Fitz who came out and got him of the stage and just let him cry in his arms. I’m not sure how I feel about Jake sitting with James as he bleed out. It was weird but he had sliver of decency to not let him die alone in the middle of street.

• herman1959 says:

Nicole, as I’m reading your post and agreeing with everything you wrote, it hits me that as Jake stayed to comfort James anybody could have walked by and found them. Hmmmmm.

11. Sara says:

It is a credit to the AMAZING abilities of Jeff Perry that his performance as Cyrus tonight made me sob over losing my least favorite character. I have long wished for James’ demise, but I never expected to sob over it, but man, that last scene of Cyrus trying to make a press statement. The. Tears.

12. Midori4 says:

The press conference scene was beautiful, it felt like a real life friend and lover died. Amazing.

13. Cheyenne says:

On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, I’d give tonight’s episode a 10.

14. CK says:

I’m loving Mama Pope so much right now. Can we just get rid of B613 and give her all that screen time?

• Anna says:

LOL. Mama Pope is a bad mama jama. I L.O.V.E. her, actually I love Papa & Mama Pope. You do not wanna mess with them. They just do what needs to be done and roll with it.

• TH says:

“I don’t make bombs, I make money” momma Pope is a bad ass and I love it! She has girl friend who hired her scared.

• jdbasset says:

I love seeing all the varied opinions on here. I mean that sincerely. I can’t stand the woman playing “mama pope”. I think she’s just awful and I don’t buy her character at all. But I can’t really explain why, so when I see other people like her, I am shocked… but it also makes me curious and so I keep watching to perhaps see what you all see. Maybe I’ll end up liking her as well.The way the show goes, you never can tell.

15. Carm says:

I had forgotten Cyrus was the one who ordered the hit. He just didn’t know James was involved. Great episode. And Jake did come out looking better than I thought he would. Good for Mellie too.

• Cheyenne says:

Cyrus knew James was involved. He found out last week James was Publius. And he set the hit up anyway.

• Alichat says:

Cyrus didn’t order the hit on James…..he ordered the hit on Sally, gave a big speech to Jake about how the republic would fall, and set in motion (unknowingly) the hit on his husband…….which is what he will figure out at some point and go insane over.

• Cheyenne says:

By all his previous actions, Cyrus set the whole thing up. Now he’s feeling guilty on top of grieving for the loss of his husband.

Don’t forget Cyrus ordered a hit on James last season and then got cold feet.

• Alichat says:

Yes, Cyrus’ actions are what set this in motion. I believe I said that. But Cyrus did not directly order the murder of his husband. And, in my opinion, the guilt of his actions have not hit him yet, I think what we saw tonight was grief over the loss of James’. I don’t think we’ve seen the full on realization of his guilt.

• kitty says:

Yup. Cyrus has fallen into a pit of his own making. It’s sad, but it was bound to happen eventually. He was too corrupt and James was too nosy.

• Cheyenne says:

If I remember correctly, Cyrus told Jake that James was Publius. What did he expect Jake to do with that information, file it and forget it? Cyrus practically handed James to Jake on a plate.

• Cheyenne says:

Also, Cyrus told Jake that Rowan wouldn’t have hesitated to do what he had to do. He meant it in reference to Sally Langston, but he might just as well have told Jake to take out James too, while he was at it.

• Alichat says:

Cyrus never said “Charlie, I know Publius is James. You need to kill him.” He never said “Jake, my husband is Publius. You need to kill him.” A few episodes back, Abby asked Huck to hack into David’s computer to get the info on whatever it was he was hiding from her. Huck did, and that’s how they found out James is Publius. They also found out that Cyrus did ask Charlie to take out Publius and the reporter, and that James wasn’t the person going to the meet up with the reporter, but David was going in his place. Abby and Huck snatch David before he made it to the meeting, thus saving his life. Since Publius was a no-show, Cyrus tells Charlie not to pursue it anymore. David tells Olivia and crew how Daniel Douglas died and that Cyrus covered it up. Leo tells Cyrus that Sally wants to confess during the debate. Cyrus then calls Charlie to get him to kill her, but he can’t due to Jake’s ‘no freelance’ orders. So Cyrus orders Jake to kill Sally Langston or give him Charlie to take care of it. Jake balks at this, and gets the big speech about how it is necessary for the democracy, Rowan would have done this, blah blah blah. Jake, after realizing that Olivia has pretty much chosen Fitz over him, orders Quinn to steal the Daniel Douglas file from Olivia’s safe. This is where Jake discovers that James is Publius. He orders Tom to take out Sally if she begins to confess during the debate. Because of Fitz, she doesn’t confess, and Tom stands down. Cyrus finds the bug, realizes that James is Publius, confronts him and tells him to do what he has to do. James meets with David, saying that he doesn’t want to do this anymore. Jake kills him. Did Cyrus put the wheels in motion that lead to the death of his husband? Yes. But he didn’t ask or order Jake to kill James. And right now, Cyrus doesn’t realize that what he set in motion lead to his husband’s death.

• herman1959 says:

Cyrus told Jake to kill Sally before he knew that James was Publius, so he did not directly ask to have James killed. He made Jake aware of “the problem” which lead him to use his asset (Quinn) to get all of the info and identify all directly involved (including James). Therefore, Cyrus was indirectly responsible for James being killed, and I think he suspects so – remember how he questioned Olivia when she told him she was sure it was a carjacking? Next week he’ll have to deal with it.

16. enri says:

Cyrus -Hands down performer of the week. Him breaking down at the podium was so intense.

17. Amie says:

I hated it. Not because it was badly done, but because they keep killing people. The Huck and Quinn thing… YUCK. The way he killed James? HORRIBLE. I can’t do this show.

18. Deedie says:

Love the show, but why does Olivea has to be crying or almost crying every episode?

19. Was that James Jake was talking to at the end? Or was it the reporter? Who was in the trunk of Jake’s car?

20. Jules says:

Absolutely…positively…amazing.

21. Amy says:

Watching James die was brutal and having Jake stay with him til the end was so.show sweet and decent…..talk about your mixed emotions

• Amy says:

Somehow not show

• kitty says:

Would you want your killer to stay and watch you die? The fact that Jake may have thought that was a decent thing to do shows he’s a sociopath. And I think that on the writer’s part, that may be deliberate. He has shown odd behaviour in the past, winking at himself on surveillance and watching the tape of Olivia obsessively. That man ain’t right.

22. Cheyenne says:

Did you guys catch that Jake actually threatened Olivia?

• Rachel Scott says:

It seems like no one caught that. Everyone’s talking about how sweet it was that Jake stayed with James while he died, that wasn’t sweet, it was him making sure the job was done. I hope Jake gets taken down with the rest of B613.

• Amie says:

I didn’t think that was sweet at all. It was horrifying and just as grim and mean as the rest of last night’s show. It showed that Jake is a monster, just like Sally and Quinn and Huck and Mom Pope and Dad Pope and, well, pretty much everyone else. There are no good guys, no white hats, on this show. Not even shades of gray. SCANDAL has become a horror show.

• Molly says:

Yes, totally caught that, and she’s still trying to look out for him? But I guess her dad threatened her all the time too…

• Cheyenne says:

I don’t think she’s trying to look out for Jake any more. That’s what that meeting with David was all about. Her new mission is to take down B613 and everybody in it.

• herman1959 says:

I caught it, but really, he only answered her question about what would happen if she didn’t accept the carjack story. It was a stupid question because she should have known the answer.

• Nikki says:

Of course people ignore threats against Olivia made by Jake (the same way they ignored that he caused her to land in the hospital with a concussion because he refused to let her leave his apartment when she wanted to). He’s the “good” guy, remember? /sarcasm.

• mmel says:

Thank you , people keep glossing over that fact. If it were Fitz people would want him dead right away.

23. Allison says:

Huck and Quinn hookup grossed me out completely. There is not a number high enough on the ‘ick’ scale.

I am glad that it was quickly revealed who got shot instead of waiting until the last minute. I am glad it was not David. Also glad there was very little ‘Olitz’ screen time. Thank you one and thank you all. Mama Pope…sigh…Daddy Pope, love him every scene, every sentence!

I have mixed emotions about Cyrus’s situation. All the present misery he’s experiencing was because he pimped out his husband, hubby sought payback and now hubby no longer walks the earth. It was a situation that was bound to end badly no matter what.

There is one thing this show reminds me of and that is to just enjoy a hot dog and never ask what is in it or how it is made! :)

• Annie says:

So I am, in point of fact, the only person on the planet NOT grossed out by Quick. Okie-dokie, then. Good to know.

24. lolita says:

This episode tonight was simply awesome. Every one played their part to the hilt. First time I have ever cried watching this show,but tonight I just couldn’t help myself. I felt so bad for all the pain Olivia and Cyrus was feeling,and David to. James got on my nerves but I felt bad when he got killed,and those women to be thrown in a grave like a bag of bones. I was happy for Mellie at last she can stop calling Olivia names,cause she opened her legs to. Olivia’s mama is something else. Boy did Olivia get stuck with the worst parents in the world? Quinn spitting in Huck’s face was gross,then they turned around and kissed each other? That was nasty to me. One thing is certain B613 seems to rule the White House and every body connected with it. I hope Olivia can fight the battle and win the war.

25. maggie says:

I have never, ever seen such wrenching and real cries of anguish and grief than Jeff Perry’s tonight. Absolutely like when I lost my own ____. I hope he gets an award. Thank you, Jeff.

• Ram510 says:

Your comment made my jaw drop! But to be fair a very small part of me understands, because for the first 2 nanoseconds of Cyrus crying I felt the same way but then I quickly realized it was a very fine performance that felt real.

26. Rick says:

Good episode tonight after last week’s over baked mess, but Cyrus’ breakdown scene was WAY over-the-top. Jeff Perry is usually good, but that scene was cringeworthy and embarrassing to watch — even for a soap-on-steroids like Scandal.

• herman1959 says:

Totally agree – it would have been better if he had just stood silently staring out with tears running down is face until Fitz came. Oooh I’m a script writer – somebody call Shonda!

• natasha_0726 says:

I totally disagree… Jeff Perry played that moment on the stage to perfection. It wasnt just sadness or loss. It was devistation and guilt. He has to face the reality of knowing that the only person who truly loved him and knew him and understood him is dead. After spending the whole episode avoiding it. Its like at that moment it hit him like a ton of bricks and he crumbled. For all his flaws and eventhough he did order the hit on James last season the reason he didnt follow thru was because he knew James was the best part of him and when he spoke to him last episode it was like he finally realized that he was taking him for granted, so to then have him die the same night broke him. It was an amazing scene!!

• Rick says:

The whole episode avoiding it? Cyrus ALWAYS acts like a heart attack waiting to happen. But sorry, Perry was overwrought in that breakdown scene. Sometimes less is more. Since Cyrus is ALWAYS overbearing and overemotional, it would have been nice to see something subtle — and that wasn’t out of a horror movie.

I also have to admit that I feel ZERO sympathy for Cyrus. In the Scandal World of Evil, he’s at or near the top.

• Cheyenne says:

Cyrus has accumulated quite a track record. Ordering Charlie to kill Amanda Tanner, setting up a hit on his husband (which he cancelled because he got cold feet at the last minute), asking Jake to kill the Vice President, and pimping out his husband like a whore. I’m sure he was devastated at James’ death but asking anyone to feel sorry for Cyrus is like asking for sympathy for the kid who kills both his parents and is now sorry he’s an orphan. Cyrus brought all of this on himself and now he has to live with it for the rest of his life.

• addie says:

@natasha_0726 I agree with you completely. That was an amazing performance on Perry’s part, authentic and devastating.

27. ryke says:

I think that the show did a good job of humanizing James over the episode, and then the last minutes of watching him die, afraid for himself and for Ella, his daughter, made it more emotional. It’s easy to disconnect from characters when you think they’re being stupid, and James had a many stupid moments in the last few episodes. The audience knew he was playing with fire, James knew it too, but persisted. It wasn’t a surprise that James would be killed. But the strength of the show is that it could make you care that James was killed.

28. Catherine says:

The whole David scenario was so unbelievable. Like Jake would have let him live and that David would stay quiet over three murders committed in front of him. Those two women are now missing. What about their families? David wouldn’t stay quiet. It just doesn’t make sense. Jake is just so evil. What’s with Oliva lately? Not liking her.

• Brad says:

He kept David alive so that the investigation into the murders would be handled by David instead of somebody Jake couldn’t control. And you can’t watch Scandal and worry about if things “make sense” . That ship sailed a long long time ago.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, yes, yes! How about when Jake said “I’ve always liked you, David, you seemed smart. Can you work with me on this or do I have to stop liking you?” CHILLING.

29. Cheyenne says:

Jake may have found David to be a useful hostage of sorts. That’s why he’s still alive, as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

The big question is, what does Jake plan to do with Olivia?

30. Lyla says:

I never really liked James but wow the flashback made me cry for him and Cy. Great job by Jeff and Dan.
    HuckleBerry Quinn is just gross. I hope they don’t really go there.

31. Coal says:

Who else misses the legal/political drama Scandal use to be ? Remember the speech Harrison gave about “gladiators in suits” ? Remember how fantastic the defiance/vote rigging story line was ? Remember when Pope and Associates actually had clients ? That’s all a distant memory now. On Jeff Perry’s performance he has had far better thrilling performances in the course of the series. Those of your speaking of character development, just because characters spend most of the episode on the verge of tears/mental breakdown/drunk or yelling it doesn’t mean there is growth.

• Mary says:

“Who else misses…”? ME!!!

• Overthinking says:

Raising my hand. Also I couldn’t agree with you more on the difference between character development/growth and what we are watching. It is total character destruction.

• Rick says:

Agree with you completely.

• Amie says:

AGREED! We’re getting Boardwalk Empire instead of Inside Washington.

• arial2 says:

I think this show has always been about morality and how easily power corrupts. The writers drew people in with the (now seemingly) “mild” scandals like election rigging, and have gone for the jugular. Politicians do not get to high office by being nice people. I do love that last night, Olivia’s dad gave me a whole new education about the definition of the “good guys.” Liv’s dad and Jake are so caught up in doing terrible things to “protect the Republic” that they’ve lost all contact with what “the Republic” was founded to be. Given their “standards” I fully expect those two to start campaigning for Sally. After all, in murdering her husband, she was just doing what she needed to do to protect her vision of “the Republic.” Someone after their own hearts…

• Cheyenne says:

“Liv’s dad and Jake are so caught up in doing terrible things to “protect the Republic” that they’ve lost all contact with what “the Republic” was founded to be. ”

Excellent comment, and overall excellent post. That’s why Rowan is backing Sally Langston. She’s someone he thinks he can manipulate. He thought he could manipulate Fitz also but he got badly disillusioned there.

• Nikki says:

YES!! I miss it terribly. It’s hard for me to watch s1 and s2a because I see how good this show was BEFORE so many people jumped on the bandwagon and the writers felt that in order to keep the new people, they had to keep up with the over the top shocks and OMG moments.

• Cheyenne says:

Not me. If a show doesn’t evolve from one season to the next it gets stale and tired.

32. Michael says:

The show has to reliant on the “shocking twist.” Every episode is one attempt to out do itself just for the sake of shock value. Soon the only thing left for the show to do is “Who Pushed The Button That Sent A Nuclear Warhead Crashing Into Toronto?”

33. scampi says:

Enjoyed the episode, but agree it has become too soapy. Truly miss the OPA cases. I noticed that Jake threatened Olivia and assume he’ll do it himself. Noticed Olivia includes Jake in her ‘every one I love’. I don’t trust Shonda not to break my heart, so can’t quite trust Andrew though really wish I could. I’ll just enjoy Mellie having few moments of someone appreciating and wanting her. Also glad writers giving us a Mellie I can root for. Let’s give the word whore a few weeks rest. Find I have no interest in Mama Pope or Adnan other than let’s get to Harrison’s story. OK writers which is it B6-13 a necessary evil or B613 must go? Surprised to learn Cyrus marriage lasted much longer than I’d thought. Sure the ex will appear eventually. Very touched that James was thinking of Ella. Poor Ella will probably never be heard of again same with baby Teddy.

34. christopher bee says:

I´m shure that i was watching some of the finest hours in television, cudos to all the actors.
    It was moving, cynical, brute and full with brilliant monologues.

35. Maryann says:

When Fitz first made Jake head of B613, I figured Jake was in way over his head. Now it is clear that this is not the case. Rather, it seems that Jake really has been in the mind set of B613 all along. What this episode has done is make me mourn the character of Jake that I thought I knew, and obviously didn’t. It has also made me totally empathize with Olivia’s plight; everyone she should be able to be close to is just…broken. Her father, her mother, and her best friend–and I think that is what Jake was to her. Discovering that Jake was responsible for the hit and that he would kill her too if he thought she would leak it just made the bottom drop out of her whole world. And this extra twist of cynicism has made me like the show a whole lot less.

• herman1959 says:

I think Jake was serious about being Command all along, but the final rejection by Olivia is what made him step up and do the deed.

• kitty says:

The thing is Jake was never her best friend. He was the one night stand her father sent to keep her from the man she loved who taped her without her knowledge, watched it for entertainment and distributed it. He’s the guy who beat a journalist to death, hospitalized Olivia and never apologised. She must have been really lonely to mistake that for friendship, but as a viewer it was obvious he was no good.

36. A Rocks says:

So I was wrong about who was killed and to be honest I really was not touched by the dying scene.
    I will miss James for the comedic moments he provided.
    I don’t care about the mama pope plot
    There was nothing heroic in what Jake did. It was heinous, murderous act plain and simple. And no amount of papa Pope ranting about responsibility will make it any less that this. Some one who can commit such acts is not dealing in shades of gray – they are amoral.
    For those of you who are rooting for Mellie and that she has gotten her itch scratched with as you term it “a man who cares for her”, on what basis then is your objection to OLITZ? It certainly can’t have anything to do with the adultery angle that lots of you were trying to hide behind.
    B613 plot: I’m tired of it.
    Since there was no OLITZ making out, I found this episode boring over all.

37. Lesleykay says:

Jeff Perry truly brought me to tears last night, and that doesn’t happen very often on television. Why has this man not won an Emmy for his role as Cyrus? Amazing acting by him last night, and every night for that matter.

38. David P. Graf says:

Is anyone else wondering if the writers are painting themselves into a corner? What stories are going to be left to tell after this season is over with?

• herman1959 says:

A while ago, I read a story that quoted Shonda Grimes as saying she has the writers paint themselves into a corner and then gives them the task of writing themselves out of it. I think that the way the writers are burning through storylines means Scandal can’t last more than 1 or 2 seasons more. In fact, Sonda has said she doesn’t plan for Scandal to run as long as GA (10 yrs.)

39. GS says:

Give this man a freaking Emmy already! I was sobbing at the end of this episode. He’s made Cyrus such a layered character. You hate him but then you love him and hurt for him. He was unbelievably great last night. Love him on this show so, so much!

40. Overthinking says:

Looks like if you,re the press secretary in the White House you pretty much seal your fate – you’re bound to get shot.

41. Jim! says:

If Jeff Perry doesn’t get this week’s Performer of the Week there is absolutely no justice or appreciation for outstanding acting in this world. OUTSTANDING performance.

42. TinLV says:

Jeff Perry is so good on this show.. and last night he was so good they should just give him the Emmy now. I wish Jake had killed Sally.. can’t stand that woman,. I wasn’t the least surprised by Quinn and Huck.. grossed out, but not surprised.

43. LaLa says:

Still #TeamJake.

44. Amy says:

Really great interview Matt! I love Cy and Perry’s acting is really astonishing…I’m always mesmerized by the complexity he brings to his character and all the layers that make-up Cy. These days I find it hard for a tv show to really shock me but it wasn’t so much the killing of James that got me the most but the flashbacks this episode and the final scene with Jake and James…I just don’t know how I feel about Jake now, he’s obviously doing his job and trying to hang on to his humanity. Anyway as always thanks for the great interview.

45. MiaB says:

Awesome work from the men of Scandal last night. Like the episode where Mellie was raped, I know it’s not one I’ll watch again. Too jarring.
    –Jake shooting James and then, thinking that he’s doing the right thing, stays with him while he dies–horrifying. I was so upset by that scene. Telling James that his toddler daughter would be OK, awful.
    –David’s inner turmoil, so obvious on his face. I loved his last scene with Abby.
    –Cyrus trying to hold in his pain, the flashbacks to him falling in love with James, beautiful. I totally cried watching him break down at the podium, and I loved that it was Fitz who came out and hugged him and took him offstage.
    –That damn scene with Eli “being a dad” to Liv. I loved how he broke it down what being Command was really like and how Jake would be feeling. But dang, that last part. “Can I stop being a dad now?” while his daughter is sobbing, dropping her hand, and then deuces, he’s out. Cold.
    –I totally saw the Huck and Quinn thing coming. He told Liv last week that she shouldn’t have given him someone to love. So, yeah, but I think we can all agree that the spitting and then kissing thing, didn’t need that in our lives.
    –Maya is a bad mama jamma, good lord! Even an international criminal is scared of her.
    –Mellie getting her a little bit. Finally!
    –And I love that I can see strong Liv coming back. This is what we have been waiting for. No more crying, pretty please.

46. herman1959 says:

Ok gang, agreed this episode was out of this world, but when will we get to see the ENTIRE Harrison/Adnan back story? I’m guessing the loss of 4 episodes pushed it back, but now it seems to have been wrapped into the election storyline AND into the Mama Pope storyline. Also, how long will it take for Olivia and David to bring down B613? I hope it won’t take until the end of next season, we may never see another OPA case. Please Discuss.

47. natasha_0726 says:

Ok so I know that Livseems to have gotten on alot of peoples bad side but I dont get all the hate.. I dont think she is weak, I think they are showing her to be real. In season 1 she didnt show her feelings, she was a serious soldier but in all reality she was handling one scandal at a time so it was easier to juggle. Now she has to find the balance between her conscience and her heart because she knows that her loved ones are all questionable characters but she loves them and doesnt want to turn her back on them. Right now she is dealing with a fake boyfriend who runs a spy organization that was given to him by her real boyfriend who is a married president after he took it from her dad, because her dad ordered him to murder 300 people because her mom who is a terrorist lied to him. She is also running a campaign against a crazy bible thumping VP to get elected a man who is sleeping with the first lady. And then there is her lovely work family: Quinn who pulled a gun on her, Harrison who is sleeping with a criminal who is working with her terrorist mother, Huck who just seems to love spit n licking n death, Abby who is in love with the DA who is trying to destroy both the lives of liv’s fake and the real boyfiend. Lastly, her fake boyfiend murders her goddaughters dad. Sorry, but I totally get why she has spent quite a bit of time drinking and crying in the last few episodes, Seriously who wouldnt!!!! Her acting is perfect, her facial expressions honest. She conveys frustration.disgust, confusion, fear, love and hope with her portrayal of the character.

Also I love Jeff Perry, the man is incredible and Joe Morton is brilliant. I really miss the week by week scandals too but I think they almost needed to go off track for a while to show how far they all have fallen and if they can be redeemed. Cy, Mellie and Liv cant move on until they fix the mess they made by rigging the first election. Like most things this show expresses that things usually get worse before it can get better.

• MiaB says:

I agree with you somewhat. I understand–especially when she thinks her boyfriend shot down a plane that killed her mother, when she thinks her dad ordered that hit, when she finds out said mom is not dead, when she finds out her mom is a terrorist–that she’s zoning out/crying her eyes out. But in that very first episode of Scandal, Huck tells Quinn, who is crying in the bathroom, that gladiators don’t cry and that Olivia will get upset if she sees her crying. Now Olivia herself is crying every episode. She seems weak, not like that powerful boss lady she was all of Season 1 and Season 2 (even in the second half when Fitz dumped her). She seems like things are more happening to her whereas before she was happening to things. I just want to see more of that bad ass woman, and I’m cautiously optimistic we will.

• kitty says:

I don’t hate Olivia because her actions are so obviously the result of sensational writing that it’s hard to take them seriously. She’s undergone a complete character change.

48. BamaEd says:

I’m about over Scandal. (Prefacing all of this with IN MY OPINION) The whole Jake thing was ridiculous and the dialogue they gave him was equally bad. Staying with James until the end wasn’t noble, it was cruel, and it was to make sure he wasn’t discovered. Another super long monologue from Papa Pope? I think that reads better on the page than it plays out. The story with Mama Pope could be intriguing, but instead of Harrison being in the middle of it, he’s on the sidelines. Abby is on the sidelines except to warn David not to die. They are underusing those two characters and overusing Quinn. She was a little annoying at first but I warmed up to her. But Quinn in B6-13? No, just no. The Huck/Quinn kiss kinda grossed me out too. The overwrought writing is just too much and too overstuffed and wastes Kerry Washington. Probably stick with it for the rest of the season, after that, I may get my Thursday nights back.

• Rick says:

Yep, I think the writers are wrecking the show.

There’s close to no one to root for any longer, close to no way to understand their motivations and actions. We’re TOLD we should like and understand these people, but we’re not SHOWN why we should.

And as you said, they’re going back to the well too many times for some characters. Getting a halting monologue from Papa Pope in every episode? Ridiculous. B6-13 is necesary? And then it’s a necessary evil? And then it’s not? And ALL in the same episode??? UGH.

• Cheyenne says:

And yet you keep watching the show and posting the same complaints week after week, and then you come back for more. Face it, you can’t wait to see what happens next.

49. Babygate says:

I have to say that this is the episode that made me wonder if I want to keep watching Scandal. And it had nothing to do with Cyrus or James. It was that scene between Huck and Quinn that was beyond gross and disturbing. This show is turning into one serious mind-bending trip. Wrong is right, right is wrong, your friend is your enemy and your enemy is your friend. I love you but I hate you. I hate you but I’ll protect you. You are wrong but I will help you. It’s becoming all too much. All these relationships are so convoluted and becoming so complex that it’s getting hard to keep track of who I’m supposed to be rooting for and why. And that side story with Liv’s mom, what is that about? Olivia used to be the center of this universe so everything could be traced back to her and there was an order and a reason for things, but now Jack is off doing his own thing and Sally is running against Fitz and Quinn is working with B613 and everything is off the rails… Shonda is making the same mistakes she’s made with Grey’s: she’s juggling too many characters and storylines and losing track and focus.

• Cheyenne says:

Real life doesn’t always run on the rails, and it’s never all black and white; it’s all various shades of gray.

• herman1959 says:

Yes Cheyenne, and I will use your point to discuss why, although I agree with everything Babygate posted, I came to the opposite conclusion – this episode made me feel that I DO want to keep watching Scandal.

I’ve noticed that in every post-break episode Olivia has seemed increasingly disenchanted and downright weary of her world, personally and professionally. Here, I’m speaking about Fitz, Huck, Quinn, Rowan, Maya, Cyrus, and finally Jake. Finally, in this episode, she had to face the fact that she had been dealing (in her own mind) with black and white in a grey world, and she feels lost. This is why she looked to her father to provide some sense of meaning and context.

Olivia finally drops the “I’m better than you Dad” attitude and honestly asks Rowan to school her. He finally drops the “you’re just a little girl” attitude and does so – it just got real for Olivia! This new maturity is what allows her to talk to David the way she did – the old Liv would never have tried to convince him to try the wrong man for murder.

At this point, Olivia’s endgame will be taking down B613 with David, not the Olitz-Vermont dream and this is why I’ll be sticking with the show through episode 318. That said, in order for me to return for next season, Shonda had better deliver!

• Cheyenne says:

I think it’s going to take more than 4 more episodes for Olivia and David to take down B613. Just saying.

• herman1959 says:

You’re probably right, but I hope it doesn’t take an entire season.

• lolita says:

I totally agree with you. It is going to take more than a few episodes for Olivia and who ever she can trust to get rid of B613. I love this show so much but I am a little bit tired of the B613 saga. I would like to know more about Harrison and Adnand or what ever her name is. B613 is a horrible organization. They kill innocent people,then frame another innocent person. When does it end? Is the republic worth all of this? Olivia’s father is so cold. He doesn’t have feelings for nothing but the republic. I thought Jake was going to be a different commander,but that position won’t allow you to have feelings about nothing but the republic. I still want Olivia and Fitz to be together regardless of come what may.

• mmel says:

She needs to kill off Mellie, David ,Abby and Quinn.

50. Brad says:

Why are there people on here bitching about the last episode being ” over the top”? What episode hasn’t been? That’s the reason this show is popular. It’s a what will they do next type of show. I enjoy the fact it “goes there” when there’s so many by the book shows out there. Is it realistic? Hell no and if you are watching it expecting it to be then you haven’t been paying attention.

• Torie says:

@Brad Thank you! finally! Somebody who makes since on here. I mean seriously, that’s what makes the show interesting. I rather be watching something crazy that keeps me on edge, verses something that I can predict & know it will be boring. & btw, Jake is not a bad guy. Now what he did wasn’t right, but just like he said, he did what he thought needed to be done. If he could have done it differently he would have, but it is what it is.

• A Rocks says:

So he thought that committing murder is the right thing to do and you claim that he isn’t a bad guy? I’m curious, if committing murder isn’t being bad, what act do you think makes someone bad.

• Torie says:

Well just to put this out there, i never said murder was the right thing to do. All I said was Jake needed to do what he needed to do because sadly it’s the whole point of his job. Would i have wanted him to do it differently? Yes, no questioning about that. Because murder is wrong, & should in no way be a solution. But no he is not a bad guy, because he showed no pleasure in what he had done, verses Charlie, who finds pleasure in killing people, while showing no remorse. Now that right there, is a bad guy. Unless the writers of Scandal show Jake with a sick side like that, my opinion still stands.