Glee Vet Naya Rivera Addresses Exit Rumors: 'People Take Little Things and Blow Them Up'

Naya Rivera Leaving Glee?Is Naya Rivera‘s Glee swan song imminent?

In the wake of recent rumors that she won’t be a part of the New York City storyline beyond the next episode (airing March 25), TVLine invited the musical dramedy’s vet to set the record straight, at Tuesday night’s 100th episode party in West Hollywood.

RELATED | Glee to End Next Season, Reworked Series Finale Will ‘Honor’ Finn

“I can say that I have to go out of town tonight for a job, and I have to be back Thursday at noon to go to work on Glee,” Rivera confirmed.

Rivera couldn’t account for the swirling exit rumors, but suggested that they were born of a recent interview costar Lea Michele gave, previewing the show’s new focus for the balance of Season 5. (“It’s New York now,” Rachel’s portrayer told E! Online. “So it’s me and Chris [Colfer] and Darren [Criss] and Chord [Overstreet] and Kevin [McHale].”)

“I guess Lea was doing interviews and had omitted me from the New York cast list, but I’m sure that was just a Freudian slip on her part, or maybe it wasn’t,” Rivera offered. “People just take things, little things, and blow them up. But like I said, I’m reporting for duty Thursday at noon.” (As for anyone’s involvement in the Fox series’ sixth and final season, decisions on that are not expected until late June.)

To be fair, Rivera herself planted a seed for the speculation, tweeting this during the Episode 100 shoot:

RELATED | Glee 100th Episode Recap: Reunited, And It Feels So Good

As far as what’s ahead for Santana, Rivera teases a resolution to a cliffhanger set up in Episode 100 — “Is Brittany going to go with her? Is she not?” — “and then go from there.”

“To have [Heather Morris] back was awesome,” she added. “Everybody loves a little Brittany/Santana action.” (Reporting by Scott Huver)

1. Kaycee says:

The show would benefit so much if they just kept a core cast of regulars featuring only Santana, Rachel and Chris, they have great chemistry together and focusing the show on them three alone would be much more entertaining then having the added torment of Blam.

Sure, have them guest, but it’s Lea, Chris and Naya that have been the standouts. I need Santana to balance with Rachel’s annoying tendencies.

• Jen says:

I agree and I think it’s a HUGE mistake to start the NY stuff by making it about Blaine and Sam. The best part of Glee is the NY PezHummelBerry dynamic. Taking that away and replacing it with the Glee idiot Bros is going to bite them in the already sinking ratings. I sure don’t plan to watch post 101 if all I have to look forward too is Sam and Kurt fighting over Blaine’s affections.

• Beth says:

I don’t understand why people have convinced themselves that NYC is going to be all about Blam. There are literally six characters there. Every single one of them is going to get some degree of focus in every single episode. They’re not going to replace the Santana/Rachel/Kurt dynamic with Blam. They’re all going to exist in the same space once Naya returns and Hummelberry will still exist in the episodes she’s missing. Just like the show had time for Blam and Santana/Rachel/Kurt when they were in separate places they’re going to have time for them both when they’re in the same place.

• Kaycee says:

It’s not about whether Blam is going to be the main focus, because they’re not, it’s a problem that they’re even getting an equal focus in the first place. It’s still time taken away from the NYC Trio.

• tracy says:

except the “NYC trio” is no longer a trio and therefore no longer exists. and if anything, those characters will be getting MORE screentime now that we’re losing tina, marley, unique, ryder, jake, kitty, will, and sue, plus demi is gone now and adam lambert only has one episode left.

• Beth says:

Except there is no “NYC Trio” now that the show is shifting to NYC. Glee is never going to be a show that’s only about three characters. The fact that they’re down to six/seven now is amazing and the smallest it’s ever going to get. Deal with it.

• Ali says:

The “NYC trio” is gone, and it’s for the best. I’m so excited to see what Blaine, Mercedes, Artie, and even Sam will bring to that side in the coming episodes. I never, ever would have watched a whole hour of Hummelpezberry in NY, no matter how many guest stars they tossed in there. I love seeing characters I actually really care about thrown in the mix.

• karenb says:

Don’t quit your day job Naya.

2. TJ says:

Or maybe Lea was talking about the current episodes filmed that she has scripts for that don’t include Santana and Lea not having any idea when Santana would return. She will be missing from at least 3 episodes post 513. And rumor started from the THR story about Glee going all NY when they omitted Naya from the cast list, not from Lea.

3. Sam says:

“but I’m sure that was just a Freudian slip on her part, or maybe it wasn’t.” Well, this seems to confirm a feud between them at the very least.

• David Stumme says:

Nonsense. All it does is show she is trying to not spoil the rest of the season by being evasive.

• Sam says:

You actually cannot get more blatant with the “or maybe it wasn’t” part.

• Daw Johnson says:

@Sam is referring to Naya’s comment, not Lea’s.

A “freudian slip” reflects an unconscious thought you have. If Lea omitting Naya was a “freudian slip,” it would reflect that the two have a feud.

Simply forgetting to mention someone is not a Freudian slip – it’s an accidental oversight.

• Babygate says:

Thank you! My immediate reaction was: does she understand what a Freudian slip is? And does this mean that there’s friction between Naya and Leah?

• Jen says:

OMG SEE!! This is exactly what naya’s talking about when she says people like to take the littlest things and blow then up ugh! Stop pls…

• Kaycee says:

Like one of the other users said, I think lea was probably purely commenting on the episodes she was filming at the time, which Naya isn’t a part of. So when mentioning the cast she just left Naya out because they hadn’t been filming for a while.

• uh says:

Do the two people directly above me not understand what “freudian slip” means? Go get a dictionary. Or here, I’ll help you out with a copy paste job: “an inadvertent mistake in speech or writing that is thought to reveal a person’s unconscious motives, wishes, or attitudes.”. So yes, Naya is saying it could be what Lea wants, which basically confirms that there’s a feud there. Deal with it.

4. Leo says:

The boobs are so distracting.
    Now that boob-job comment Sue made way back in season 2, I always thought it’s something the writers made up, but now I’m not that sure.

5. Diane says:

SHADE!! Lol, love Naya. Only reason I would continue to watch the show is if she is on. Having Brit back for some episodes would be great too!

6. Chris says:

Lea had only gotten the scripts for the next 3 episodes – where Naya is indeed not involved – when she was interviewed. Pretty unprofessional of Naya to take petty shots at her costar, as if it’s Lea’s job to stay abreast of Naya’s every move.

Then again, petty and tacky seem to Naya’s M.O.

• Jen says:

Literally go away.. Stop starting unnecessary drama

• Nat says:

Naya’s the only one starting unnecessary drama, dear. As usual.

• Jen says:

Look, Naya’s not dumb, she wouldn’t purposely and publicly “shade” Lea. especially considering the fact that they’re both still working on the same show.. I think fans are doing what they usually do, and are assuming that Naya meant it in a bad way when all she did was speculate on why the rumors of her leaving started..

• Daw Johnson says:

“Freudian Slip” has a very specific meaning.

Either she doesn’t know what it means (which makes Naya look bad) or she knows what it means (which means she’s starting a rumor)

• Alex says:

No. You the fans are starting unnecessary drama. Seriously. Naya didn’t say anything other than it was a slip up. And as you said, Lea was probably thinking of the next three slips which is why Naya called it a slip up. Read a damn dictionary. It doesn’t always mean a wish or whatever. I forgot majority of glee fans are twelve years who usually start petty drama. Seems to be you’re the tacky one, Chris.

• uh says:

I’m laughing so hard oh my god, you’re telling people they’re dumb, when you’re the one that’s dumb. A FREUDIAN SLIP means that it’s a person revealing something they unconsciously want. She’s shading Lea big time. If she’d said it was a “slip” it would be fine, saying it’s a “freudian slip” is a whole other thing entirely.

• June says:

There is something sketchy about the fact that Lea had several interviews and didn’t mentioned Naya once.

• Gon says:

Like naya said, glee fans like to take little thing and blows them up, like you did. Lea said that interview most likely because Santana isn’t features in the next three episodes and/or lea don’t have any scenes yet with naya. In case you didn’t know, in glee, if you don’t have a scene with some characters, you may not given scripts involving that particular characters, jane lynch confirmed that in recent interview. So stop drama.

• June says:

There is no excuse to exclude Naya. She know Naya’s character will be in New York even if she misses a few episodes.

• Terick says:

Tacky is repeatedly omitting a co-star name while specifically naming other co-stars when you know very well said co-star is still on the show.

• tina says:

The Hollywood Reporter did not include Naya’s name months ago in the list of people going to New York. Lea was not the source of that info. Did anyone think that Naya was possibly in contract negotiations, so maybe no one knew what the outcome would be? Just a thought.

• Abe Froman says:

Huh, you said “abreast”.

7. Nat says:

Maybe Naya can follow up her debut single that bitched about her fiance’s exes with one bitching about her costars.

Oh wait. She’s never getting another single.

8. end of story says:

so much drama for nothing, lea was talking about the scripts that they were filming in NY that week (there wasnt scenes with naya), so yes she didnt add naya because naya wasnt there.

9. lorena says:

Well thanks, Naya, for getting my hopes up that you would be finally leaving the show.

• Khleo says:

Stop watching then. Need less of you hatin’ ass hoes.

• lorena says:

Last time I checked, the show was made up of more than one character. Just because I don’t wanna see Santana on my screen doesn’t mean I don’t want to see the others.

Sorry that your only reason for watching this show is for this fake ass woman.

• Khleo says:

You wrote a lot of words but said nothing, so just gonna repeat myself: Stop watching. Need less of you hatin’ ass hoes. They come out with clips of your faves, do they not? Exactly.

• Say, What? says:

What’s an “ass hoe?” Is the letter “L” forbidden to you due to religious reasons, or something?

• LOL says:

I know. This is so tragic. Thought we’d finally be rid of her inflatable sex doll look.

10. Becky says:

Nothing gains more attention than two feuding costars, think 90210 and Gossip Girl. With Glee having miserable ratings that not even the 100th episode brought up, they need stuff to keep the buzz up. All this Naya missing and Naya vs Lea just seems like a publicity stunt to keep people talking about Glee because no one seems to care about the actual show now in days.

• Nick says:

Basically. That’s all this is and the fans are eating it up. These people know what they’re doing. They have every interview down to the nitty gritty. It’s all for PR. It’s sad that the fans can’t see it though.

11. ann says:

So Naya’s saying that Lea Michele wants her to leave the show? Either that or Naya has no idea what Freudian slip really means.

• Jace says:

Not always. A Freudian slip could also mean that she was simply thinking about Naya not being in the next few episodes which is why she omitted her. It doesn’t always mean a simple wish or desire.

12. Kels says:

No. Lea wasn’t just talking about those episodes because when asked again about the New York side, Lea stated a second time that it would be just her, Kevin, Chord, Darren, Chris and that Mercedes comes in for a few episodes, ending it with a “That’s everybody.”

13. Gon says:

This interview intended to clear things up but ended up to feed another speculation. I’m not sure if two of them are feuding since naya posted photo of lea along the other costars. But it’s interesting that tvline also pointed out that naya was the one that created the Santana’s leaving speculation, thanks for clearing things up that the speculation it’s not solely based on lea’s interview.

14. Happy says:

Now i feel like they might be feuding. I’ve realized this for a while. Who to blame? No one.

15. Khleo says:

Naya didn’t start the speculation. “Start together, end together” is a line from the unholy trinity, which she was quoting. But since fans take every little thing and blow it up, she deleted the tweet.

• Daw Johnson says:

She kind of fueled the speculation though.

This rumor dates back to a THR article that listed everyone but Naya for New York.

At the time, why didn’t Naya just say, “LOL – I’m obviously not leaving.”

• Khleo says:

Good point but I’m sure she expected Glee PR to speak up on it first. That or she paid the rumors no mind figuring they’d blow over and not become as big as it did.

16. Kane says:

Lea just happened to fail to mention Naya in several interviews which started rumors about Rivera leaving.

Maybe Naya is right. We are all blowing things out of proportion.

17. Kalee says:

SHADE INDEED! Yes, Lea knows that Santana isn’t part of 5×14 to 5×16 (or at least the group never filmed scenes with her) until 5×17 (where both Sue and Tina are confirmed for as well), but Naya saying “But I’m sure that was just a Freudian slip on her part, or maybe it wasn’t.”

“Or maybe it wasn’t”? Woah. That just raised some more flags after a blind item you can find online hit last week claiming that an actress who has been with the series from the start will run off with a smart dumb blonde (Brittany) by season’s end not returning as a regular for next season because of another cast mate’s actions (everyone has guessed Lea Michele).

18. J.B. says:

Forget Glee, can we talk about her slow transformation into a younger looking Jennifer Lopez with a funker nose?

19. Matthew Morrison says:

These super fans sure are scary. It’s amazing how they think they “know” these actors AND what they are thinking.

• Scott says:

They can also take the “credit” for the show being cancelled next year, and for all the newbies losing their jobs this year. Their parents must be so proud.

20. RZZ says:

Naya Rivera and Lea Michele are both gorgeous talented women. They have a great dynamic on the show and quite frankly are two of the only cast members who consistently bring their A game to every scene and performance. They can BOTH handle the vocals, the choreography, the comedy and the drama. If Ryan Murphy ever does a spin off he should make sure these two stay together. These two women and Chris Colfer are the one part of the show that the media consistently praises and the praise is well deserved. I hope the rumors of Naya leaving prove to be false and that we see more of all three of these characters in season 6 of Glee.

21. Breanna says:

They could be feuding… A couple weeks ago, Naya had this weird tweet that said this “”I wouldn’t play that album in my car if you paid me 100million dollars and a bad bitch” And that was the same week Lea released her album. Maybe I am reading too into it, but it seems like there could be something going on between them.

22. Gigi says:

IGAF as long as I get Santana Lopez I’m fine.

23. abba says:

I hope they are not feuding…. sure looks like it, but who knows. naya has not been very supportive of the glee cast after cory’s passing, she was the one most people talked about not going through a mourning period… maybe that put some distance between them? who knows… I also saw her tweet about the album and she seemed jealous of lea’s success with her album since naya’s song really bombed. but yesterday she posted a collage on instagram and out of 9 photos lea is on 4, if they were feuding she wouldn’t have put so many pictures of lea… it’s all speculation though.

24. AmbleAlong says:

Is it just me, or does every picture of Naya in the last six months have her made up (clothes, hair, smirk) to look like JLo 2.0? It’s rather weird…

25. Anna Lee says:

I’d rather have Quinn in NY than Santana any day. Santana was WAY out of line in the 100th episode and once again, nobody says anything to defend Rachel. That story line is tantamount to bullying and it needs to stop.

26. Aries says:

Poor Naya. She’s trying so hard to ‘reinvent’ herself to make herself look like a Kardashian. Newsflash: “It’s not working”
    She was so pretty before she started having all this work done on herself and changing her hair color.
    Her record label dropped her because she was such a diva!

27. Kate says:

I really don’t think that the show should be called Glee anymore. I think that the series should’ve stopped ever since Season 3, maybe an exception of a short Season 4. This should’ve just been a spin-off of Glee because Glee was about the New Directions, Glee club, WMHS, Cheerios, drama for high schoolers. Getting rid of Will, Sue, TINA, New New Directions, and the rest of the Ohio crew is just pointless. Sure I love the NYC plot line wayyyy more, but they’re getting rid of the thing that makes glee, Glee: the Glee Club. The show’s not about Rachel, or Finchel, or Klaine, or Brittana. It’s about a Glee Club. Plus, the episodes are really crappy nowadays. The ratings from season four to five compared to one to three are horrible. Seriously, the New Directions episode got a rating of 1.1.

I think that they should just stop Glee all in all instead of even continuing this season, let alone moving on to the next. I love Glee and am a hardcore Gleek, but they’ve got to know when to stop. Enough is enough and plus, there are so many open gaps now. Jarley vs Ryley. Kartie. Unique, well, not much of problem, I’ll miss her/him the most. Bree, she was just a waste of space. And I hate how they treated Tina. I couldn’t imagine her in the NYC setting and sure she was bitch, but she was treated so poorly and unfair. Season 1-3: Rachel, Quinn, Kurt, Mercedes, Finn, occasionally Santana and Blaine and Sam. They said to let Rachel shine and Tina will have her year in Season 4. Season 4-Mid 5: Marley, Kitty, Artie, Blaine, Sam, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Finn. Tina wasn’t even The New Rachel and she only won prom queen and made it to Brown!

Plus, I also realized that with ANY SONG Rachel has a solo in, whether it is a duet or with more people, the camera is focusing on her most of the time and she sings pretty much 2/3 parts of it. She isn’t my favourite character, in fact I don’t like her at all, but I know rant she can sing. Everybody knows that already, no need to make the show about her. This is just my honest opinion on Glee now. I’ll still watch the episodes just in case they take a turn down memory lane an start singing old, retro songs or at least, get better with the plots and all, but seriously, Glee is stupid now.

Or at least, to me it is.

• Breanna Wood says:

The show from episode 1 season 1 was going to be very Rachel Berry heavy. Ryan Murphy said she was the very first person he thought of for it while thinking of the show. So if you didn’t like her very much, you should have gotten out from the beginning.

28. Any source of flame, or even a spark will ignite this.

Don’t gallop yoyr horse unnecessarily, if he’s hot, dismount in the shade,
    loosen his girth and leet him have some time out. Be careful iff
    splatterkilloing thse demon guys with thhe whip arms, one time there were
    three all bunched tpgether and I splatterkilled one and it glitched pushing mme behind him while iit did the
    animation and when it was done, he was still alive and now invincible.