Chris Colfer on Writing Glee Episode: Expect 'Animals and the Elderly' (But No Miley Cyrus)

Glee Season 6 Spoilers Just one day after TVLine broke the news that Chris Colfer will write a Season 5 episode of Glee, we caught up with the future scribe for some scoop on his highly anticipated creation — which will most definitely not involve twerking.

RELATED | Glee Vet Naya Rivera Addresses Exit Rumors: ‘People Take Little Things and Blow Them Up’

“I promise that it’s better than it sounds,” Colfer said Tuesday night at Glee‘s 100th episode party in West Hollywood. “I think we’re going to do something … with animals and the elderly. I kind of have this shot to do a really selfish episode, which if it was for me, I would probably have done a Miley Cyrus tribute episode. But I’m trying to do the best episode that I can, rather than do something selfish.”

Colfer said getting to write an episode was a “complete invitation,” one he never expected to receive.

“I’ve been asked in interviews if I ever wanted to write one, and I said, ‘Absolutely not because it was not my world,'” he explained. “I didn’t want to tamper with someone else’s image. Then they were like, ‘Here, come tamper.'”

Colfer also confirmed he’ll get to pick out the songs in his episode, though he admits his dream number (“a mashup of ‘Who Let the Dogs Out’ and ‘Jellicle Cats'”) probably won’t make the cut.

RELATED | Glee Recap: Reunited, And It Feels So Good

For now, Colfer is excited for fans to witness Kurt’s return to New York City — and all the Klaine drama that will come with it.

“He’s living in New York, working at the diner and Vogue, going through some ups and downs with his relationship,” he teased. As for Kurt and Blaine being in the same city, Colfer thinks that makes their relationship “a little more grown up. … It’s not so, like, ‘love letters.'” (Reporting by Scott Huver)

Any suggestions for Colfer, musical or otherwise? Drop a comment with your hopes for his big episode below.

1. Sam says:

I suggest he give himself a solo and give Blaine laryngitis.

2. sam says:

I hate glee but will watch this episode. Nice that he was invited to write it. Always good to bulk up the resume.

3. Larry says:

I suggest he send Blaine and Sam to Russia for the remainder of the series

4. Kylie says:

Have everyone adopt a cat, please.

5. Happy says:

I know they’ve done a lot of Beyonce’s songs already here and there, but I would love to see a Beyonce tribute episode. I mean, she is the biggest star. Mainly, i wanna see Lea Michele sing Halo (the slow version, not the mashup with Walking on Sunshine), a perfect song for Rachel to sing for Finn.

6. Kaycee says:

Please write out Klaine, Chris! Make Kurt a strong character once again and not someone who would take back a guy who cheated on him. Kurt is better than that.

• Aries says:

Never gonna happen. Klaine is forever and endgame

• Roxy says:

“…inevitable divorce” though ;) I think there was a little hint here…

• Axel says:

Inevitable divorce if they marry young… I can see this engagement period drag on for years… so in the end Klaine will be endgame…

• May not be necessary. Whether they intended to or not, they’ve set Blaine up as a potentially abusive spouse (the similarities between him and one I know personally are quite scary) – in which case Papa Hummel may get to finally use his flamethrower. ;)

• Axel says:

Maybe it can be one of those feverdreams in which all of a sudden there is no Blaine…

• Molly says:

Glee is about as close to reality as The Princess Bride. Even though in real life high school sweethearts don’t end up living happily ever after, it will happen on this show.

7. Katie says:

“Grown up relationship”-thank goodness, it’s what we have all been waiting for!

8. sarah says:

that sounds boring and and i hope he dosent bring brian to glee im getting sick of that fat cat he is everywhere.. go to his instagram brian , go to his twitter brian , whatch his interviwes brian and now glee?just no i really hope he doesnt do it

• Brian says:

Who peed in your cereal this morning, Sarah? Being a bit of a negative Nellie this morning with all your Brian hate. I rather like my name.

• Anne says:

If you don’t like his cat why are you following him on twitter/instagram? I would think if you ignore Chris it would be simple enough to ignore his cat… or perhaps that is too much logic for you to handle.

9. misha says:

“animals and the elderly” thats so chris colfer i was hopping for something more exciting but i take it too. i dont watch glee anymore but i will see this episode for him. love him

10. Marie says:

I would so want to watch that mashup of ‘Who Let the Dogs Out’ and ‘Jellicle Cats’, lol.
    Can’t wait what Chris will do with the characters, although I’m sure he will be limited in what he actually can do.
    Still: it will probably be better than most of the crap Glee calls storylines these days.

11. Asmadeus says:

Please give yourself a solo. Something brilliant and unexpected. Maybe even a challenge…

12. Sue B says:

I hope Chris finally gets to sing S&M! At least he should Kurt a solo, since no one else will. I’m really excited, but also a little nervous about how he’ll handle Klaine…

13. Axel says:

Maybe he will fly in a timemachine and all the glee club members are 70 years old and in an old people’s home…

I like the idea about involving animals in the story … Lea Michele is a member of PETA so maybe she can give him some inspiration. Chris had dogs in his youth and now has a cat and compares himself to a lama… Or maybe a story about an elderly couple or a single living elderly person who lost his pet… and the Glee kids become a bit like a pet-detective ( a less vulgar version than Ace Ventura)…
    Or maybe someone gets a feverdream… Mercedes or Sam or Blaine and all of a sudden all she or he can understand the animals…

Looking forward to the episode though !

14. jazzcolfer says:

I watched my last New York edit recently and thought I was done, since you know… but I’m definitely going to watch Chris’ episode. I’m really excited about it.
    So my wishes are no klaine/blarren. Kurt+independant storyline, sexy solo(s),sexy duet(s) with starkurt/mercedes/santana, make out scenes with either starkurt, adam or santana.
    In all seriousness, all I need is a chris’ script with loads of kurt. Can’t wait.

15. Lisa says:

Everything sounds great. Really. A glee episode filled with kittens and getting to know everyone’s grandparents would easily be the best in years, let alone his non enthusiasm for bad!fic domestic klaine. I hate glee but will sure watch the episode he writes.

16. Aaron says:

a mashup of ‘Who Let the Dogs Out’ and ‘Jellicle Cats’ sounds freaking amazing. Please try and include it. :)

17. Can’t wait. Hopefully he’ll give himself some actual airtime. I spent 90% of the 100th episode either flipping channels or muting the tv.

18. sylvia says:

Totally agree that chris should write glee.
    Please write something very unusual+groundbreaking for all NYC characters. Please give kurt at least 40% of the entire 50 minutes, including a kurt solo, kurt duets with each blaine and rachel and Elliot!, n trio with samcedes+artie.
    A lot of outdoor is also great!
    I know a good song very suitable for your voice: Take on me by A-ha (80s hit); please check it out Chris! Pls dont put too much musicals in the episode.
    All n all; good luck n wish you the best, Chris!

19. Courtney Larson says:

Be true to the characters. I can’t be alone in thinking that the characters aren’t behaving the same as they have in similar situations and have changed so that they aren’t true to themselves. Example: Mr. Shue all of season 4 on. He could be oblivious at times, but his behavior and attitudes changed so much that it wasn’t in line with who we saw him as prior. It wasn’t a positive growth.

I’d also love to see less of the story focus on Rachel and the other characters and more on Kurt. It feels like Kurt’s been more of an afterthought or add on in much of the past season and a half. Out of all of the songs performed on the show, Kurt has only really been a lead or co-lead on 33 songs. We might hear him sing a line or two in others, but out of over 600 songs so far, 33 is the total musical numbers Kurt has been featured as lead or co-lead (duets, trios, etc). I would love to see and hear more Kurt. Especially if the song(s) is/are one(s) that make(s) great use of the massive vocal range Chris has.

All in all, I’m looking forward to the ep and hope it’s a wonderfully written episode!

20. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy to see that Chris wants to do the best he can and maybe not risks.Plus depending on how this one goes he could write another one next season.As for Kurt and Blaine for the very first time they will be living together and adjusting to it.I think Klaine are endgame but that doesn’t mean they have some bumps along the way.If they are happy all the time that’ll get boring very fast.