Ratings: Resurrection Is Still Killing It, Cosmos Dips, Believe Plunges, The Mentalist Drops

Resurrection ABC RatingsABC’s Resurrection is still very lively, drawing 10.8 million total viewers and a 3.0 demo rating in its second week.

Versus its boffo debut, that’s a drop of some 20 percent, yet still markedly bigger than what Revenge last did in Sunday’s 9 o’clock hour (5.4 mil/1.3). Resurrection also easily led all broadcast programs in both measures.

Opening ABC’s night, Once Upon a Time did 7.5 mil/2.3, ticking down just a tenth from its midseason premiere. Revenge at 10 pm (6.2 mil/1.7) slipped two tenths.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Once Upon a Time (Wicked Twists!) and Revenge

Elsewhere….

CBS | The Amazing Race (8.3 mil/1.8) ticked down a tenth, Good Wife (8.4 mil/1.3) was steady and bubble drama The Mentalist (8.7 mil/1.3) dropped 13 and 19 percent with NBC’s Crisis now in the 10 o’clock mix.

RELATED | The Good Wife Recap: Love in an Elevator

NBC | Leading out of a Voice recap show, Believe did 6.5 mil and a 1.4, plunging 39 and 48 percent from last Monday’s special preview but still delivering NBC’s best audience in the time slot since Jan. 6, 2013. The Crisis premiere (6.5 mil/1.6) — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B” — built on that demo number.

FOX | Bob’s Burgers, The Simpsons and Family Guy all saw demo gains, while American Dad dipped some. Cosmos then drew 4.9 mil and a 1.9, down 16 percent and two tenths from its week-ago launch on Fox.

1. Linda says:

If Resurrection starts losing viewers, it’s only because we can’t stand all the commercials!! Seriously, they show 3-4 minutes of show and another 3 minutes of commercials!! There were 3 commercial breaks in the first twenty minutes and that does not include the intro!!

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

As with all dramas on network TV it’s around 42 minutes of show and 18 minutes of commercials.

• StanJS says:

the episode is still 43 minutes.. even the 1st episode.

• Idolhead Ed says:

If you are sick of commercials get dish’s Hopper. It automatically edits out commercials. I’m not some troller just a really satisfied user. ..

• Alex says:

I love the whining about commercials. The ads pay the bills! I don’t enjoy watching them either, but they’re the main reason we get free programming. (Yes, nearly everyone can get broadcast for free rather than having to pay for cable.) You could live in a stinking place like the UK where a license fee is required for nearly every TV set (limited exceptions only).

• marlene says:

I agree! I was seriously thinking of selling my televisions beause of that reason. I’m sick of so many commercials all the time. I got so upset one night that I timed them. Yep you are right. One commericial went over 4 minutes. That is terrible.

2. Cosmos is a great show. Sunday at 9:00 is just way too much competition. I wish the networks would spread the love around a little more. All this means is my DVR gets a power workout on Sunday evenings.

3. Resurrection looks to be a success…I really enjoy Believe so I hope it can keep that fan base week to week. Doesn’t bode well for Crisis that it premiered to so few viewers.

• Idolhead Ed says:

Of the three new shows I watched this week, Resurrection, Believe, and Crisis my favorite by far is Believe.

• Emma says:

I wish Resurrection and Believe weren’t on at the same time. I enjoyed both premieres but having to choose one (I don’t record shows), I chose Resurrection.

• tiffanie says:

Crisis was great everyone should give it a chance really exciting and the next episodes look to be just as great. NBC should really air pilot again on another night and poor Rachael Taylor everything she stars in since Grey’s Anatomy has been canned. Bad Luck Actress

4. sarah says:

Just when the mentalist is getting good! Fingers crossed that they don’t cancel it. Last night’s episode was one of the better ones since red John finished.

5. Francine says:

I watched Believe last night because I enjoyed the pilot, but it was just more of the same. I don’t get what this show is trying to be.

• Alex says:

Another procedural with supernatural trappings.

• Lucy says:

My thoughts exactly. Believe’s pilot seemed to have promise, but ep. 2 was just more high-action running, her helping a random person, and them being saved in the end by Winter. Not any real substance or storyline. I’m out.

6. iMember says:

Revenge doing really well at 10 pm. Loved last nights episode!!

7. KCC says:

YAY Resurrection!!

8. Leo says:

Hooked with Resurrection.
    Keep thinking they could do better casting with the leads but the current ones aren’t that bad.
    The story is getting interesting though.
    Jacob and Tom just break my heart.

9. Alienate says:

I really wanted to like Resurrection, but could not watch more than half of Ep#2 last nite before I gave up. Instead of doing a “smart” show ala Audrey Rose, they are doing a “stupid” show with insane inaccuracies of “past lives” theories as described in countless books and articles. Is their nothing ABC can’t bastardize?

• David4 says:

Being that no one has ever come back from life how is it possible that and “past lives theories” be inaccurate?

• JLK says:

This isn’t anything like a past life. It’s not like a completely different person with all the memories of someone else’s life. It’s the same people as confirmed with preliminary DNA…and their memories are intact, except for the period of time they’ve been dead.

10. Eric7740 says:

ONCE UPON A TIME!!!

11. Bob Smith says:

I still don’t understand CBS. The Mentalist gets an 8.7 rating and it’s “on the bubble”. After Resurrection, do you see any other show on Sunday with that high a rating?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because it’s not about how a show does relative to shows on other networks, but how it stacks up against shows on the same network. (The Cancellation Bear explains it in detail here.) And right now, the only CBS dramas with a lower average demo rating, season to date, are HOSTAGES and INTELLIGENCE.

• cathy says:

Matt, would it also depend on whether they think a new show would be better cost wise and get more viewers? For example, if CBS thinks that HIMYF will bring in more viewers and cost less than The Crazy Ones, then they would be more likely to cancel it, wouldn’t they? (Love the Crazy Ones, but am prepared for disappointment).

• bk says:

The Walking Dead there’s more than just 4 networks these days. Walking Dead is the highest rated show on tv if you eliminate the over 50 crowd

• wrstlgirl says:

And why would we do that? Do they not get a vote?

• Cory says:

Not really, considering the advertisers don’t pay for them, so 10 million people over 49 could be watching something but if the 18-49 rating is a .9 it’s still gonna get canceled.

12. Too many shows on at 9:00 on Sundays. The Walking Dead comes first, DVR Cosmos. Not sure I care enough about the new shows to find them on demand or somewhere.

13. Boiler says:

What I learned from last night…I hate having “All New Resurrection Next” constantly on OUAT

14. herman1959 says:

After two episodes of Resurrection I still really like it, and I’m interested in seeing what the second “resurrectee” (the man) has against the first (the boy). This seems like a perfect show for mid-season into Spring/Summer; I hope that even if the ratings drop, ABC will give it a chance.

15. SS says:

Hey Matt
    How is OUAT down a 10th? The viewship was up from 7.3 to 7.5 but the demographic stayed the same at 2.3. Wouldnt it be steady?

• Jerry says:

Last week’s 2.3 was adjusted up to a 2.4 rating. Therefore, this week’s preliminary rating of 2.3 is down a tenth. Ironically, this week’s 2.3 is now adjusted up to a 2.4 too!