Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Chris Colfer to Pen Episode

The American Foundation For Equal Rights & Broadway Impact Present "8"Chris Colfer‘s Glee duties are expanding.

The actor-writer is set to pen an episode of the Fox musical-dramedy to air later this season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS | Deathwatch: 24 Characters Who (Probably) Won’t Make It Out of 2014 Alive

According to sources, the show’s producers (including series co-creator Ryan Murphy) presented Colfer with the opportunity to craft his very own hour of Glee, and the burgeoning auteur jumped at it.

Details on the content of the episode are TBD, but I hear Colfer has already met with the show’s writing staff to hash out some ideas.

Colfer is certainly well suited for the gig. In addition to writing the screenplay for the 2012 indie Struck By Lightning (which he also produced and starred in), the 23-year-old multi-hyphenate is the best-selling author behind the Land of Stories children’s book series.

1. Matt says:

it makes sense. his writing is terrible and so is glee’s.

• popcorngirl says:

Why dose TV line have such awful readers? Are you all homo phoebes?

• dude says:

Why is someone a homophobe if they think one gay person is bad at writing?

• popcorngirl says:

No. But when an entire site says it without any example you have to wonder. Can you name any of his books? All you say is he’s a bad author. You don’t even say his name. Everybody wants a chance to hate glee and it seems Chris as well. Chris is a good person. Good head on his shoulders. Kind to his fans. Yet people are just happy glee once again gets hate and are willing to hurt others to do so. Give an actual reason why you think he’s a bad writer other than being on glee or being Chris. Then I won’t call you a homo phoebe because it seems this entire site just hates glee thus hates Chris without giving him a chance or knowing him.

• Britt says:

I’m still not understanding the connection between someone’s writing ability and their sexual orientation. I saw his movie. It was bad. He’s a fine actor. A fine singer. Bad screenwriter. You’re creating drama where there isn’t any.

• Janey says:

Reply to @Britt. I loved his movie. I thought it was brilliant. He’s a fantastic actor and a fantastic screenwriter. I guess we all like different things, hey Britt?

• Jessica says:

Agreed, with popcorngirl and frankly I’m excited because I’ve been a fan since pilot, and I’ve read his books his fairytales and struck by lightning and watched the movie, and I think they were all brilliant, not being biased here because I didn’t want to watch the movie before reading the book because I knew I would probably just love the fact it had Chris Colfer acting in it, so I read the book first and I have to say he got me laughing the whole way through it, and the quotes are Fantastic so for all those haters out there I say Bite Me Hobbit.

• Pie says:

Let’s forget about his sexuality for a second and remember the main point. His writing sucks.

• Andy says:

I love his writing. It doesn’t ‘suck’ as you put it @Pie, but I guess not everyone will like it. We all have different tastes and opinions. All writers, actors, celebrities have those that love what they do and those that hate what they do.

• popcorngirl says:

That’s your opinion then just don’t say it will be bad before you’ve even seen the episode and his name is Chris Colfer.

• Mel says:

I thought Struck By Lightning was brilliant. And my kids enjoy his fairy tale books very much. So no: his writing does not suck.

• ReplyToPie says:

Hey I’m a straight girl, and his sexuality has nothing to do with the fact that I think it’s gonna be awesome.

• ReplyToPie says:

Oops sorry I didn’t the fact you said forget about his sexuality, I didn’t think it was necessary for anyone to even point it out in the first place so that’s why I became defensive, but yeah I’m glad you spoke up your opinions

• Dan Wilson says:

Because if you don’t like a specific gay person, it obviously means youre a homophobe.

• jade says:

I don’t get why you read this you obviously just cant face that he is such a better person :D

• jaqui says:

I’m just curious if you’ve even read Chris Colfer’s writings?

• Barbara Mullin says:

And yet, here you are, reading every word about the show. Putz.

• sylv says:

no it’s not terrible. it’s good even.

• Stephanie says:

Which books of Colfer’s have you read? His debut novel, “The Wishing Spell” was enchanting,and, yes, a bit rough (like any debut novel). “Struck By Lightning” and “The Enchantress Returns” were light years beyond in technique and still very well done and engaging. Not to mention the essay/article in Time’s “100 People Who Never Lived”, which was very well-written and well-considered. Or did you stop at the first (debut) novel and judge? I see a great deal of potential, particularly for a 23 year old. Actually, his first book was written at 20-21. People who cannot do judge (and try to pull down) those who try and do. Pathetic.

• demi says:

……..that’s interesting! i mean……he is a good screenwriter and he’s extremely intelligent to write interesting things…………. i would watch the episode since i have watched his movie……….at first i thought that it was a comedy but………………no it was sad…….anyways….i believe that he will ruin the klaine thing………and thats a little sad! he might want ..more …..like MORE things cause its like a permanent relationship now………..and chris colfer doesnt seem to like it ..

• WeLoveChris says:

You’re just a neathendral who has nothin better to do than to pick on someone else’s talent.

• Anonymous says:

That is incredibly rude

2. SS says:

I wonder what horrible awful things he’ll do to Klaine if he can get away with it.

• KC says:

Was that really necessary? You don’t know how he feels about Klaine and neither does anyone but the people who actually know him personally. Take your hater shades off and shut up.

• persephone says:

I think Chris likes klaine. :)

• SS says:

That Chris isn’t a fan of Klaine is so blatantly obvious it’s ridiculous. Every pitch we hear from him about what he wants from Glee involves Kurt getting away from Blaine and the last time he tweeted about filming Glee was when Kurt made out with the robber Santa.

• persephone says:

hm but that doesn’t seem like him.

• SS says:

I don’t understand how things that he’s actually said and done can not “seem like him.”

Look, there’s a very good chance that he won’t let his personal opinions about certain things get in the way of his writing. But that doesn’t mean they’re not pretty obviously there.

• paniccord says:

I don’t know that Chris dislikes Klaine, I think it’s more that if he tweets about Klaine or working with Darren, CrissColfer shippers (people who want him and Darren to date in real life or think they are dating) tend to harass him on twitter. He may well dislike Klaine though, I mean the cheating really tainted them for me and a lot of other people so maybe he doesn’t like the relationship. I don’t think any of us can really speak for him though.

• Rogger says:

true! i totally agree …….he’s totally gonna ruin this ! i can see an awful break up …….. :\

• Sol says:

His character has not been allowed to do anything important or durable outside of that awful couple. I think he doesn’t. Not that I have hopes he could get out of in one episode, but I don’t think he likes klaine even close to how much you people love it.

3. TJ says:

Cool! Maybe it will be a good episode for a change! Or maybe he can write Blaine and Sam out of the series? lol!

4. Juned says:

It will be the best written episode of Glee since season 1.

5. Yessss says:

This will be the only time Kurt will be allowed an A plot, I’m guessing.

• Matt says:

Did you miss “Grilled Cheesus”?

• name says:

Did you miss how that was three seasons ago and there hasn’t really been a Kurt-centric episode in the last two years?

• Yessss says:

In season two? That’s your earliest example? So my point stands.

• Mel says:

And even in that episode the other kids not being allowed to sing their religious songs in glee club was a more important storyline than Kurt dealing with his father’s heartattack and possibly becoming an orphan.

• Lissa says:

Did you miss him coming out? Did you miss his bullying arch? Did you miss his “Finn crush” arch? Did you miss his Dalton arch? Did you miss his dad having a heart attack? Did you miss ex-bully stalking him? Did you miss his Vouge arch?…. I realize I could go on forever….. I mean you must missed like, the entire serious…..

• Taken says:

Umm the whole terrible second half of Season 2. Season 3 also had KURT written all over it. Even Season 4 and 5 scream Kurt in every single episode. Get over yourself.

• Lydia says:

Um I think you meant Blaine! They all scream Blaine and Blaine’s POV, but stay pressed.

• Mel says:

How can season 4 and 5 scream Kurt in every single episode if he wasn’t even in 3 episodes of season 4, and when the New York narrative only got about 10 minutes per episode (which mostly went to Rachel’s storylines btw) ?
        I think you confuse him with Blaine.

6. xx says:

Ugh. I’m sure he’ll either sideline Blaine/Kurt and Blaine completely or write them to prop up his character.

• La says:

Poor Blaine. It’ll be nice to see his character take a seat for once.

• Jase says:

Only here at the hate-filled orifices at Tow the Line is Blaine/Klaine considered a bad thing. Well…here and the Westboro Baptist Church meetings.

• ... says:

You’re a nutjob, Jase. Not liking Blaine – or more accurately, being sick of him being featured so much, which is not the same thing – is not equivalent to wishing death on gay people. Get a grip, because you make your whole fandom look insane.

• mm says:

Disgusting comment.

• Angela says:

Really? This was necessary?
          Besides that, if you think this site is biased in a way you’re not happy with, you don’t HAVE to be here, you know.
          Seriously, I’m looking through so many of the posts in this comment section and I want to ask everyone just how old they really are. I’ve seen five year olds who act more mature.

• Cosima says:

I think that’s what people need to keep in mind when they engage in heated arguments over this show – a lot of these posters are underage kids who watch Glee. Others are trolls who write inflammatory statements then sit back while people get upset.

7. Beth says:

You’d think someone who was so terrified of those crazy female Glee fans wouldn’t want to get anywhere near writing an episode.

8. trll says:

Probably the only episode i will watch of season 5, so excited!

9. lolwut says:

Hah, 5th seasons are always when they end up doing this kind of stuff. Should be interesting. At any rate, can’t be any worse than what the show already is every week.

10. Matt says:

I think at the very least he will write the characters well. I almost said consistently but it’s too late for that.

11. eh says:

This could be good or it could be bad.

12. Jen says:

Yes! I hope he gives Kurt some solos and makes klaine breakup. Lbr tho, RIB would never let him do that… Plus, he’d get so much hate from klainers. Nevermind then, I just want him to give Kurt an amazing storyline that doesn’t revolve around Blaine and some Kurt solos!

13. dinkys says:

Why are klainers so convinced he will write an episode against klaine? I don’t think this is his goal, also he has always given the best ideas to RIB!

14. Aries says:

Terrific! Chris is a wonderful writer/author. Can’t wait!

15. Sam says:

He’d break up Klaine if allowed. Fight for it, Chris. We believe in you.

• hedbeck says:

he wouldnt do that..

• persephone says:

Would he.

• Beth says:

As usual the klaine haters are trying to ruin Chris’s moment by spreading their hatred of Klaine.

• Jase says:

Fortunately they only congregate here at Tow the Line, where you’re not allowed to say anything nice about Blaine/Klaine/Darren Criss

• Angela says:

You know, the “Tow the Line” thing wasn’t really cute the first time you said it. Repeating it doesn’t make your point any more valid.

• GM says:

As usual the klaine lovers are trying to ruin Chris’s moment by immediately connecting everything he does and every accomplishment he gets with Klaine/Blaine/Darren.

• Andrew Hass says:

Where exactly did Chris say he wants Kurt and Blaine to break up?His comment a few weeks ago was that on his bucket list before the series ends he wanted a second love interest for Kurt but i don’t think at any point did he say he didn’t want Kurt and Blaine not to end up together.Plus unless you know Chris personally you don’t know what he wants.Plus i’m sure the show isn’t going to break up Kurt and Blaine at least not permanently.Pus i’m sure he’ll have to get story approval before anything is filmed.I’m thinking Chris will come up with 3 or 4 good ideas for an episode and then show them to Ryan Murphy and let him pick which one to go with.

16. fehr says:

Is he a good screenwriter?

• KC says:

Yes, he is. He wrote Struck by Lightning and that was a pretty great little indie film.

• tina says:

But it did not get the best reviews, did it? If he did not have a Glee fanbase to support his efforts would people consider it successful? No shade, just an honest question.

• cb says:

It did well for an indie. It’s rated super high on netflix, and not just by fans. It has a few hundred thousands votes and 4/5 stars. Fan votes only account for a few thousand of those votes. It wasn’t some award winning masterpiece, but it was fine and far from a disaster.

• yeah says:

It wasn’t that well reviewed to start with, but it has a 3.7/5 or so on netflix with 200k+ ratings, it found a good audience there and it’s a decent film with some good moments. Obviously not a huge work of art or anything.

• jazzcolfer says:

Also the movie was at Tribeca and others indy movies Festivals in the US and in Europe,France (Champs Elysées Festival) in Italy (Gifonni) and in Scotland. It’s not bad for an indy movie from a very busy 21 years old. You don’t necessarily go to Cannes with a first movie.

• sindi says:

rotten tomatoes gave it a 29% for critics, and 54% for users.

• GradualClimb says:

And on IMdB it’s got a pretty good 6.4 rating. The point is, for an extreme low budget movie, and we are talking less than a million to make and virtually no budget to promote the film, and for a first time screenwriting attempt, Chris’ done pretty darn well. It is also circulating beyond fandom and fandom haters now too, and is being very well received and enjoyed by the GA. It has certainly not only made back what it cost to make, but it has also made a pretty hefty profit and has a solid fan following that is not from Glee. The film itself has a very impressive message that many teens especially, (but also many older viewers) are picking up on and rolling with and although the script had to be cut and edited severely due to lack of funds, what was produced overall has been very impressive for a first time screen writer, and the original ideas and concepts of the film are very strong. Chris certainly shows a lot of talent and potential for future screenplays.

17. el says:

i see no good that can come from this. He is a great actor but I don’t think he has enough investment in ALL the characters to write for the show. I’m sure he can characterize Kurt and Rachel very well and Blaine to some degree but I can’t see him write for characters like Sam or Artie that makes them true to their characters. He also has heavy opinions on the show but I hope he keeps it out of the script. I’m curious to see how this turns out. (I expect badly but who knows?)

• Fiona says:

So he will only write what he is good at. My guess is this will be a kurt centered episode. It’ll be ineteresting to see what he sees in kurt and the relationships(with blaine, with rachel and others) around him….

• La says:

Only a few characters have a plot in each episode anyway, so why would he need to be invested in every one? And it’s not like the current writers have any more investment.

• jazzcolfer says:

Frankly, I think the writers have very few investment for most of the characters save for blarren and sam and they are um let’s say very special

18. Katy says:

Oh good a NEW writer!! LOL no seriously maybe Chris can write a great or at the very least good episode he has to be better than some of the writers already employed at Glee.

19. LOL says:

He will probably want to break up Klaine! I get the feeling he doesn’t really care for that paring lol!

20. Cris says:

Not a big fan of Chris but I can definitely say that the episode he’ll write will be 90% chance better than the horrible writers on Glee ever written excluding Ryan, Brad and Ian.

21. SW says:

Chris has stated several times over the years, when asked if he’d ever write an episode, that he wouldn’t write one unless it was an Alternate-Universe type of episode because he doesn’t feel like he knows all of the characters well enough to write for them, and do them justice, in a regular episode. So, whatever he comes up with, it’ll all probably be some type of dream-esque episode. In any case, I’m excited to see what he comes up with.

• Mena says:

Well, this might be one of the first of the NY episodes new ideas won’t hurt. Chris might have a lot of good ones. I’ll give him good chance. He deserves one.

22. dude says:

Lets hope he’s better at writing TV shows than he is at movies. Struck By Lightning was terrible.

• BraveAndTalented says:

Awwww I loved that movie. It was amazing. Chris is a great writer so, even with the limitations that he will have on writing this episode, I think he’ll do well.

• karen says:

Would you have loved it , if someone besides Chris wrote it?

• Sol says:

I would. Hate it or love it, it’s nothing like anything else out there comercially and in my case it happened to be exactly what I had been waiting for from a coming of age movie.

• Gloria says:

As someone who watched Struck By Lightning before even knowing Chris Colfer as “that kid from Glee”, and who was not aware that the lead actor wrote the script too untill I saw his name in the credits, I think it’s safe to say that yes: I would also have loved this movie if someone else besides Chris wrote it.

23. Andrew Hass says:

That’s great for Chris and maybe this could be the start of a new career and maybe he’ll write an episode for next season too depending on how this one goes.Plus i don’t think it’s fair to judge the episode he’s written until it airs.As for Chris not liking that Kurt and Blaine are together the only person who knows if that’s true or not is Chris himself.

24. Paige says:

What Chris does or does not feel about Klaine is irrelevant here – getting to write an episode doesn’t mean he has carte blanche to break them up or have one of them cheat or whatever. There are new writers for Glee all the time – the last two episodes were written by new writers, in fact, and they clearly have an outline of what to write. He will obviously get some input as to what they sing or do, but it’s not just going to be his own personal wish-fulfillment. That being said, I could see him writing an AU episode… but again, he will have to be in discussion with the other writers. And I personally can’t see him writing anything too inflammatory or against Klaine or Blaine because I’m pretty sure he knows how that would be received. Hopefully it’s just a fun, light episode – good for him!

25. Sammy says:

Some of the comments on here make me want to jump off of a cliff. This is seriously a wonderful opportunity for Chris, let’s drop the drama and just be happy for him.

Also, Chris’s personal opinions mean nothing; he will basically write the stories higher-ups tell him is pre-approved. He has no say in making characters break up or leaving the show, or anything of the sort.

• Angela says:

Ahhhhh, a sane, rational post at last :D!
      Yeah, I imagine this would be a very exciting opportunity for Chris, so hey, good for him, Interested to see what he comes up with.

26. Tyler says:

Jesus calm down people, regardless if Chris likes klaine or not the writers will still have more power over what is actually allowed into the episode. It’s not like Chris can kill off anyone he dislikes if this person or couple is bringing huge views in. It’s like how they couldn’t kill off finchel, regardless of how horrible of a relationship that is it’s an image of glee. Tweens love it and despite it driving away a large portion of views (it’s actually a joke how much the views have dropped for glee, they’re just dragging a dead cow now), it’d be like removing Patrick from spongebob.

• Sol says:

That 0 is not exactly huge views for the klaine group, tho. Pandering to them is a big reason why so many people have left.

27. Karen says:

This sounds like it could be really good! Chris has proven himself as a good screenplay writer with Struck By Lightning, so I think whatever he writes can’t possibly be worse than some of the awful things the Glee writers themselves have written in the past (but it could potentially be much better since Chris has first-hand experience with being subjected to some of the terrible writing on the show).

As for Klaine – I think some people forget that just because Chris will write an episode he can’t just do whatever he wants. It doesn’t matter how he personally feels about Klaine, he will still not be able to do anything that changes their relationship in a big way unless he gets it sanctioned by Ryan Murphy – and I don’t think Ryan will let Chris do something like break up Klaine (after all, they were already broken up for a while and only recently got back together. If Ryan and the other producers didn’t want Klaine together they simply would not have reunited them – end of story). If anything, I expect this episode to be fairly light on Klaine scenes.

28. Allison says:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe his episode will be funny and it can go back to being a comedy for at least one episode.

29. Elizabeth says:

Haters you are so pathetic. Keep your nasty opinions to yourself!

30. Sara says:

Good for him! I am excited that he is getting this opportunity!

31. Juliet says:

I think Chris is an amazing screenwriter, of course he has to improve some things but Struck by lightning was a great first movie for him. He is very talented and has a lot of potencial, besides he is 23 and has accomplished so much more than people who twice his age.
    I’m a huge gleek and in particular a big fan of Chris, he is hilarious and has a amazing sense of humor, I think this is a great opportunity for him and I’m looking forward to watch that episode

32. Jen says:

Very happy for Chris. This is a great opportunity for him.

33. iWoman says:

I’m really happy for Chris. This is a great opportunity for him.

34. jaqui says:

WOW! This is so cool, I can’t wait to see what Chris puts together. He’s a very good writer, very original. There’s nothing like Struck by Lightning out there, I broke down at the end. His fantasy series is excellent. His books, like his acting leave me wanting more!

35. Naiki says:

What a stupid idea.

36. Kim says:

My suggestion is very simple if you don’t like Chris … turn the channel… It’s that simple and quit wasting are time and get a life!!

37. Fernanda says:

is Ryan Murphy mentoring Chris Colfer to be his TV heir? Chris should write one episode of AHS instead.

The next thing, Darren Criss would write original songs in a new musical inside Glee. Does anybody remember Pip Pip Hooray the Pipa Middleton Broadway Musical said by Kurt at the end of season 2?

I always wanted to hear Glee versions of Darren Criss songs like Not Alone.

38. Sol says:

Great news. He really can’t be worse than the normal writers have been for the last 2 years even if he wrote a crack!script and mixed the page numbers. You go, Mr. Colfer!

Also lol at all of you being so responsive to this but said nothing about Matt Morrison directing. Shows a lot where are you comming from.

As for myself, this will be the only episode I will watch from beginning to end. Really, I trust Chris more than any resident Glee writer.

39. Stephanie says:

I can’t wait to see the episode! Colfer’s writing has developed amazingly well in a very short period of time (he IS only 23) and Struck By Lightning was a very well crafted movie (and book), particularly given that it was made on a shoe-string budget in a short period of time. I find a lot of insights in his writing, as well as quick wit and interesting characters. Sure, he’s still maturing as a writer, but most writers do so. Try reading any author’s early works and see if the same doesn’t apply. In my opinion, I like his freshness and outlook. Even a rougher early work such as “The Wishing Spell” was entertaining and enjoyable and I could not put “The Enchantress Returns” and “Struck By LIghtning” down!

40. paniccord says:

I liked the SBL and the first Land of Stories book (bought the second one but haven’t had a chance to read it yet), so I’m looking forward to this episode he’s writing. Let’s be honest, his writing can’t be any worse than Ryan Murphy’s and hopefully he’ll write some good stuff for Kurt and give him some narrative focus/something to do!

41. ann says:

the burgeoning auteur ….

LOL

42. Jayne says:

Chris is very talented as an author – I can’t wait to see what he comes up with! I’m sure it will be as witty as he is! Can’t wait!

43. Denise Beckett says:

I Love the Idea of Chris getting to write an episode! My guess is it will be a funny episode! with him probably making fun of himself and maybe some of the other Characters because he has a sarcastic since of humor! So I think it will be a good episode!

44. Dr. says:

Did Nathon Fillion more air time on 3/17/14 because he has been petulant and Stana Katic was not on the case this week?

45. Dr.Enie says:

Did Nathan Fillion get more sit time this week because of his petulant complaint, since Beckett was off doingbsomething else. Dr. Enie

46. Patty says:

Wow. Some people here are just closeminded douchebags. (You know who you are) Seriously? What is your problem? Stop hating on Chris. He’s an amazing person inside and out and he clearly doesnt give a flying fudge about ur ignorant and hateful spews of hate. Seriously. Grow.UP. Stop acting like a frickin jerk. Please stop hating on Kurt and Blaine as well. If you have nothing nice to say.,shut up. Do you know that Chris probably reads this thread? Chris is talented and he doesnt deserve all of yous homophobic hate. Geez. Why cant you realize the fact that sexuality isn’t important. The character is.

47. Aries says:

Some of the comments about this story are so petty and immature. Oh, and so are the posters who said them. You are all just jealous.
    Chris is a wonderful writer who will be the show justice. You all need to step away from your computers and think about what you’ve said. Idiots!

48. mandi says:

my goodness, some of you are douche bags like leave him alone, he is awesome, instead of trying to break me, encourage him, all this hate is stupid, no one is forcing you to watch just flip the screen. Geez