American Idol: What Should the Top 10 Sing for 'Top 10s of 2010-2014' Night?

AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 13 TOP 10This week’s American Idol performance telecast (Wednesday, 8/7c on Fox) will bring new meaning to the expression “tens across the board.”

Yes indeed, the official theme for the week is “Top 10 Sings Top 10” — in which the remaining contestants must tackle Top 10 hits from 2010 to the present.

To avoid an onslaught of overdone ditties (on reality singing competitions, anyhow) like “Radioactive,” “Stars” and “You and I” (which should have its jersey hung from the rafters thanks to Season 10’s Haley Reinhart), I’ve cooked up a dream set list of unexpected possibilities.

Check out my picks below, then hit the comments and do a little more brainstorming!

Dream Set List for “Top 10s of 2010 and Beyond” Night
Majesty Rose: The Lumineers’ “Ho Hey” or a slowed-down, acoustic twist on Rihanna’s “Where Have You Been

Alex Preston: Usher’s “More” (acoustic, of course) or The Script’s “Hall of Fame

Jena Irene: Karmin’s “Brokenhearted” or Sara Bareilles’ “Brave” or Fantasia’s “Bittersweet

Jessica Meuse: Miranda Lambert’s “Mama’s Broken Heart” or Phillip Phillips’ “Gone Gone Gone

M.K. Nobilette: Kelly Rowland’s “Motivation” or Miguel’s “Adorn” or Alicia Keys’ “Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart

Sam Woolf: Hot Chelle Rae’s “Tonight Tonight” or Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Malaya Watson: Mike Posner’s “Cooler Than Me” or La Roux’s “Bulletproof

Caleb Johnson: Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi” or Daughtry’s “Waiting for Superman

C.J. Harris: Kenny Chesney & Grace Potter’s “You and Tequila” or Jason Aldean’s “Fly-Over States” or American Authors’ “Best Day of My Life

Dexter Roberts: Carrie Underwood’s “Two Black Cadillacs” or Little Big Town’s “Pontoon” (maybe covering a female artist can help him avoid another karaoke moment?)

Your turn! David Cook up a list of your favorite recent Top 10s for the Season 13 Top 10 below!

1. scorpo says:

Sam should sing OneRepublic’s “Counting Stars”

• Or Sam Tsui does a sick mashup of Timber and Counting Stars that Sam could pull off.

• Flicker says:

Michael, you usually want someone to sing “Fast car” and this season I completely agree. Jessica or MK could do amazing things with that song. Where is Reality Check?!!

• Max says:

Tonight, Tonight is an awful, awful, awful song, it shouldn’t exist, and nobody should sing it. So I disagree with that suggestion for Sam.

2. Woodmeister says:

Majesty Rose has another shot at Let It Go!!

3. Love the choices of “Mama’s Broken Heart” for Jess and “Adorn” for MK. Take note, ladies.

4. I never thought I’d miss the themes as much as I do. I used to complain about the themes but it was because it was the same old crap over and over again. But I miss themes forcing people to be creative and interpret songs to their style. Those are the things that gave the “moments” they always talk about. A bunch of singers just doing karaoke version of current songs isn’t going to create moments.

As much as the show itself has improved this season, the stuff on stage is still very mediocre compared to other seasons.

5. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I don’t think I can see someone as timid as MK doing “Motivation.” Unless the goal is to make the poor girl spontaneously burst into flames on stage like that cheerleader on Buffy.

6. webly3 says:

I hope Dexter gets eliminated. He is soooo karaoke. I’m not sure how he has a fanbase. Just because he’s country does not mean he is anything special.

7. Jaszy says:

Jessica is in the center of that Top 10 picture. She is the winner. Well….hopefully.
    She’s amazing!
    Can’t wait to hear her Wednesday.

• Ben says:

I dont think Jess can win unless/until she begins to connect more. At the moment I think she is heading straight for an elimination at 4 or 5.

• Jaszy says:

I said ‘hopefully.’ To be honest, I know it’s more likely that she won’t win, but one can dream can’t they?
        But anyway, I’ll be a Meuse fan for life.

8. danin says:

I only know 5 songs on this list.I love Adorn and if MK is up to it ok then. Bittersweet is the best song I have heard Fantasia sing.Be curious to hear,Jena’s take on it.Ho Hey is a fun song for Majesty.And Caleb singing Paparazzi would be a hoot.Gone Gone Gone might lift Jesse up.BTW,what top 10 lists can they choose from??

9. danin says:

Love the Way You Lie? I bet somebody does Wrecking Ball, and Born This Way,

10. Simon says:

Even though I’m sure we’re all sick of the song “Say Something,” I think it could be a great moment for Majesty.

11. Lynn says:

I think we’ll probably get the same old rehashes. I expect to see songs by Katy Perry, Pink, Adele, Bruno Mars, Train, Rihanna, maybe even some thing from the competitor Maroon 5, all the stuff AI already has the rights to. Don’t know if we’ve heard a Taylor Swift song yet. Retreads in other words. I definitely expect something by a former Idol, maybe Kelly? I want to hear someone do Call Me Maybe, but I bet that’ll be a group number. I think Dexter, Caleb, Sam and MK are really gonna struggle to find the right song this week. And in my opinion, none of these singers has the vocal chops to do anything by Sara Bareilles. Agree 100% with suggestion for Dexter. Wait a minute, when did Chicken Fried come out? Lol.

12. Mark says:

Here’s a quick list with a few suggestions.

Majesty – Cough Syrup (Young The Giant)
    Jessica – Blow Me One Last Kiss (Pink)
    Malaya – We Found Love (Rihanna)
    MK – Jar Of Hearts (Christina Perri)
    Jena – Telephone (Lady Gaga)
    Alex – When I Was Your Man (Bruno Mars)
    Caleb – Tighten Up (Black Keys)
    Sam – Get Lucky (Daft Punk)
    CJ –
    Dexter – I’ve got nothing for these two. I just don’t do country.

• Max says:

Jar of Hearts=EW!
      When I Was Your Man=Boring
      Other than that, I thin they are pretty good suggestions (though Cough Syrup already has been done a LOT)
      A side note: Remember when nobody had ever heard of Stars, and it was a novelty that Amanda Brown sang it. Yeah, those days are long gone.

• Edward says:

Here are some of my picks.
        MK – Tegan and Sara Closer, Beyonce – XO
        Jena – Lady Gaga – Dope, Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
        Alex Preston – Vampire Weekend – Diane Young, Drake Hold on We’re going home
        Caleb Johnson – The Power of Love – Gabrielle Aplin, Avicii – Lay me down
        Jessica M. – Tie it up – Kelly Clarkson, ZZ Ward – Move like you stole it
        CJ Harris- You Ain’t Alone Alabama Shakes, Thinking About you – Frank Ocean
        Majesty Rose – Call Your Girlfriend-Robyn, Churchill – Change
        Dexter Roberts- American Honey – Lady Antebellum, Kacey Musgrave – Follow Your Arrow
        Sam Woolf – Love you like love song – Selena Gomez, Ed Sheeran – Kiss me
        Malaya Watson – Ciara – Body Party, Mary Blidge – The Living Proof

• Tamyra Gray says:

i think sam could pull off a stripped version of cough syrup.

13. Liz says:

Omg the every-single-post mentions of Haley have got to stop. We get it, you like her and so did we (though she hasn’t done anything too notable since she left Idol has she?) but if someone should dare to sing a song done by the Great Haley Reinhart then let them and maybe it will be good and maybe it’ll be terrible but stop acting like she’s, I don’t know Christina Aguilera or Steven Tyler or someone else that’s that established and inimitable. Geez sorry just had to get that off my chest lol.

• Parker says:

I’ve gotten so sick of the HR bs that I don’t read the articles any more. I just go to the comments. I couldn’t stand her during her season and hope to never see her again.

• Liz says:

Haha good to see from the responses that I’m not the only one annoyed by the Cult :P

Thing is, I did like Haley, she was probably my favourite contestant that season towards the second half, but is she one of the most significant contestants to ever be on Idol? No. If Michael constantly mentioned Kelly Clarkson or JHud or Adam Lambert- i.e. contestants that were prodigiously talented in their seasons AND who’ve gone on to do great things post Idol- I would not be complaining one bit but putting Haley on this kind of pedestal honestly just takes away from her and gets really annoying.

• Mark says:

You will never know true peace until you have accepted Haley into your heart. Long after AI is canceled (probably after next season), the cult of Haley will meet here every week to hear the prophet speak of her soothing songs. All praise Haley!

• Parker says:

Thhpptt!

• Jaszy says:

You got that right! All hail the princess! All hail the princess!
        Even though she has no career, it’s not her loss. It’s the record label that dropped her’s loss.
        Her album, (I DO OWN IT) is great!
        Haley will live on forever on Slezak’s blog.
        (But sometimes, I think Slezak mentions Haley a lot to piss some people off. But he’s laughing at them They should just accept the fact that Haley was one of the best contestants ever on this show.)

• Trouty Mouth says:

This whole “it’s Haley’s song, no one else should sing it” is super annoying. Haley didn’t even write the song, so why is it hers? I get that people here seem to like her, and I did too, but please cool it with that BS; it makes you sound like Rachel Berry.

14. Huba Buba says:

Michael, we love You for your undying love for Miss Reinhart.

• Stormy says:

Some of us love him in spite of it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thank you, Mr. Slezak, for loving Haley Reinhart!
      Seriously, what I liked about Haley is I didn’t care for her at all initially. In fact, I was upset when she made the top 13 or Top “whatever it was that season”. But when she sang “Blue” I thought maybe I can like this girl. And with each week I liked her more and more. By the time she sang “Bennie and the Jets” (not even my favorite Elton John song) I was hooked. And when she sang my all-time favorite Led Zeppelin song “What is and what Should Never Be” with her dad on the guitar I was a total fan.
      I also loved Crystal Bowersox – but she had me at hello. ;-)

15. Ryan P says:

Majesty Rose: “Undone” (Haley Reinhart)
    Jessica Meuse: “Let Her Go” (Passenger)
    Malaya Watson: “Girl on Fire” (Alicia Keys)
    Jena Irene: “Human” (Christina Perri)
    MK Nobilette: “Carry On” (Fun.)

Dexter Roberts: “I Hold On” (Dierks Bentley)
    CJ Harris: “Cough Syrup” (Young the Giant)
    Caleb Johnson: “Bleeding Out” (Imagine Dragons)
    Alex Preston: “Pompeii” (Bastille) – stripped down and slowed down
    Sam Woolf: “22” (Taylor Swift) – stripped down

16. Lisa Benwitz says:

To me, there is so much more artistry in watching young artists sing songs from different eras and the ever-hated “theme nights” and at least *try* to make them unique and current than there is in performing pop songs of the past four years and get karaoke performance after karaoke performance–except perhaps from Jena, who has shown originality in her performances. I hope I’m wrong and these kids blow me away. But then, I hope that every week and it hasn’t happened yet. I can honestly say that not one performance has blown me away. Not one.

17. Trouty Mouth says:

Jena – “Ain’t It Fun” (Paramore)
    MK – “Hold On We’re Going Home” (Drake
    Majesty – “Everyone’s Waiting” (Missy Higgins)

…don’t really care about what the others sing.

18. :( says:

Jessica-Gunpowder and Lead
    Majesty-Let Her Go
    Alex-Timber (but changing it up on his guitar)
    Malaya-People Like Us
    Sam-Story Of My Life
    MK-Jar Of Hearts

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Gunpowder and Lead” is a great choice for Jessica but I think the songs have to be from 2010 and forward. I believe that song is older.

19. osborn1116 says:

Majesty Rose- Clown (Emeli Sande)
    Alex Preston- Some Nights (fun), Payphone (Maroon 5), Pumped Up Kicks (Foster the People), We Can’t Stop (MIley Cyrus), Scream and Shout (will.I.am. & Brittney Spears)

20. Siobhan Magnus says:

Any florence and the machine, elle goulding or birdy songs will sound interesting to mk, majesty, sam, jess and jena ;)

21. Danny Noriega says:

What’s up with all these taylor swift and 1D suggestions for Sam?

• Ramiele Malubay says:

I dont really see him as the cute-boy-next-door type either. His charm is more dark and mysterious. His stare kind of reminds me of Dexter or Hannibal.

• Elena says:

That may be, but he hasn’t really done anything upbeat. Maybe he needs to change it up to get the votes.

• Brook White says:

He’s a white guy with guitar, he doesn’t need upbeat songs to get the votes. All he need to do is keep on singing with his guitar with lots of smoldering and smizing in front of the camera.

• Kristy Lee Cook says:

Now that you mention it, he really does look like a young serial killer in movies lol. My votes, my heart (and brain?) are still on him though. Haha

22. Lyn Jensen says:

Top Ten/Top Ten?
    Majesty–“Girl on Fire” (Alicia Keys)
    Malaya–“Royals” (Lorde)
    MK–“Get Lucky” (Mackelmore and Ryan Lewis)
    Jessica–“Same Trailer, Different Park” (Casey Musgraves)
    Jena–“Begin Again” (Taylor Swift)
    Dexter–“Boys ‘Round Here” (Blake Shelton)
    Caleb–“Springsteen” (Eric Church)
    Sam–“Pumped Up Kicks”
    Alex–“Now You’re Just Somebody that I Used to Know”
    CJ–“I Drive Your Truck” (Lee Brice)

23. mydoctor93 says:

I can see Jessica possibly doing Pumped Up Kicks for this week.

24. Ann says:

Y’know, decided I don’t care ’bout this season at all. Yay — one less thing!
    Candice was my apex it seems. None of these ‘warblers’ are going to come close to her. Still, best of luck to (nearly) all. It must be a real meat grinder of an experience.

25. Mafs95 says:

Sam – “Somebody That I Used To Know”, Gotye
    Jena – “Clarity”, Zedd feat. Foxxes
    Caleb – “Demons”, Imagine Dragons
    Jessica – “Jar Of Hearts”, Christina Perri
    CJ – “It Goes Like This”, Travis Rhett
    Malaya – “Girl On Fire”, Alicia Keys
    Dexter – “Pontoon”, Little Big Town
    MK – “Say Something”, A Great Big World
    Alex – “Pumped Up Kicks”, Foster The People
    Majesty – “Team”, Lorde

26. AprilD says:

I’d love to hear MK sing a stripped down “Some Nights” by Fun.
    Alex could do “Live like we’re dying” if it fits the criteria.
    I think Majesty could handle “Royals.”
    Sam could do “I won’t give up” by Jason Mraz.
    I bet Caleb could pull off a “Too Close” by Alex Clare if he rockified it.
    Malaya could definitely do “Girl on fire.”
    I want to hear Jena do an Adele song, maybe “Set fire to the rain.”
    Agree totally with “Jar of Hearts” for Jessica.

27. Kersh Kurt says:

Jena – Firework by K Perry
    Sam – Just the way you are by B Mars
    MK – Someone like you by Adele
    CJ – Wrecking ball by B Springsteen
    Jessica – Begin Again by T Swift
    Malaya – Treasure by B Mars
    Dexter – That’s my kind of night by Luke Bryant
    Alex – Moves like Jagger by A Levine
    Caleb – Demons by Imagine Dragons
    Majesty – Royals by Lorde

28. Ken says:

Slezak, “Top 10s of 2010s” does not mean “Songs of 2010s.” I’ll give you a pass on the country songs you name check, which all went top 10 in their own league and might be allowed that way, but Usher’s “More” topped at 15, “Motivation” and “Adorn” both only made it to 17, “Brave” stopped at 23, “Gone, Gone, Gone” at 24, “Hall of Fame” at 25, “Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart” only went to 27, “Waiting for Superman” has only made it to 66 so far, Fantasia’s “Bittersweet” peaked at 74 for goodness sake. Some neat song suggestions….but many of them don’t even fit this week’s theme.

• Mark says:

iw as wondering about the chart performance of some of those selections. I don’t listen to much radio, but some of them seemed a bit of a stretch for the top 10.. On the other hand, there are numerous charts. I picked one or two from Billboard’s Alternative top ten. There’s also a country top ten, and a rock top ten.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I wondered if they changed the theme a bit. I could have sworn it was originally just “Billboard Hits from 2010 and forward”, or something like that.

29. enzo says:

Majesty Rose- Safe and sound- Taylor + The civil war (quiet, foggy, with purple lights, dark, just sit on a high stool) / Fireflies-owl city /

Alex- Counting Stars-one republic/heartattack-demi (No guitar alex/folk vibe) ROCK IT!

Jena-royals-Lourde (some weird/mysterious kind of moment)/skyscrapper-demi

CJ- Wake me up-avicii (go country but pls no techno sound) not slowed down version. Cmon, give us ome energy!

MK-Wake me up-avicii piano only (ok i know you are not that versatile but your voice is,if that makes sense)

Malaya- i love malaya but why is it hard for me to choose songs for her? wreckingball? try-pink? or maybe applause-lady gaga

Jessica- Raise Your glass (show some personality) have fun/demons-imagine dragons

Dexter- i knew you were trouble (spin: haunting sound/dark)/ ho hey

• C.J. says:

I really, really, desperately want to hear Majesty sing Safe and Sound – I actually posted on several message boards last week that it would’ve been a perfect choice for her for the Movie Songs theme. Seeing as it only peaked at 30 on the Hot 100, I don’t think it’s eligible this week. I still hold out hope that she’ll do it someday, though.

• enzo says:

the song reached no.8 based on my research.. it really suits her

• C.J. says:

You’re thinking of a completely unrelated song by the band Capital Cities that happens to have the same title. Trust me, that song would NOT work for her. :P

30. C.J. says:

Sorry if I made any repeats in this list as the good folks above me…

Jess: Someone Like You (she has an absolutely killer cover on Youtube) or Edge of Glory.

Caleb: Demons (I feel he can, and probably should, play it safe this week)

Jena: Rolling in the Deep (her audition!) or Royals/Team

Majesty: Diamonds (refer to Ashley Dubose’s excellent Voice audition as reference) or Lights

MK: Wake Me Up or Perfect (she has a somewhat shaky but convincing live cover on Youtube)

Alex: Mirrors or Say Something

Sam: PP’s Home, or Story of My Life (Yes, seriously. It was surprisingly difficult to think of songs that find Sam’s limited range)

Dexter: Cruise (straight up his bro country alley)

CJ: The best I can come up with is I Won’t Give Up. If top 10s from other charts are allowed, though, CJ should absolutely do Thinkin’ Bout You.

Malaya: Diamonds (if Majesty doesn’t want it) or Stay (she really needs to show some restraint this week)

• Lynn says:

Ok, well, now we know pretty much what Jess is singing. Every single week she sings something from her set list. Hopefully she’ll do better, and the band will not screw up.

31. David says:

cup song for majesty, with her sitting down with actual cups. Could be a moment.

32. darcy's evil twin says:

Dexter – “Pontoon”, Little Big Town
    Majesty Rose – Kelly Clarkson’s “Tie it Up”
    MK – Nelly’s “Only a Dream”
    Sam – Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe”
    Jena – “Firework”, Katy Perry
    Caleb – Carrie Underwood’s “Undo It”
    Jessica – Miranda Lambert’s “Fastest Girl in Town”
    Alex – Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi”
    CJ – “Cruise”, Florida Georgia Line
    Malaya – “Stay”, Rhianna (yes, it’s a duet but who cares when they’ll cut it down to 90 seconds)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, I misunderstood the theme – for some reason I thought it was “Billboard Top 100 from 2010 and to the present” so some of my choices may not qualify. But I’m positive “Cruise” is good to go. :-)

33. Stormy says:

I may skip this week altogether because there hasn’t been much great music topping the charts in that time frame and what there is won’t be selected or cleared. I’ll just wait for the recaps and watch any performance that stands out.

34. CK from DC says:

(Yes; I know some of these came out before 2010).

An unsuspecting Michael Slezak turns his set on for American Idol. Somewhere nearby, an autographed pic of “the Slayer” gazes at him, as our hero begins his task.

First up, Alex and his trusty guitar do a stripped down version of “You and I”.
    “Not as good as yours,” grumbles our Michael to the picture
    frame.
    Next, Jena not Jenna storms to the piano, and belts a version of “Free”. Michael smiles. “A nice homage,” he tells the photo. Wonder how Randy felt about that one.
    A decidedly dressed up MK takes the stage to “Breathless”. Michael wonders aloud, “Why did she pick that song? It just swallowed her whole.”
    Then Sam’s version of “Oh Darling” just set him off. “Never mind that he sucked the soul out of two straight songs, ” he ranted. “But you diid better in the audition!”
    The celluloid said nothing. Nor did it speak as Michael tried tomake sense of Malaya’s “God Bless the Child”, Caleb’s “Carry on My Wayward Son” and CJ’s version of “House of the Rising Sun”. Majesty’s “Rolling in the Deep” wss jusr too much for him.
    “I’VE HAD IT!!!” He was now holding the photo in both hands. “WHAT IS GOING ON??” He was livid. “They are ruining my fondest Haley memories. They are ruining you. And they are driving me nuts.”
    Just then Dexter came on screen. Michael was beside himself. “And what will you do? I Who Have Nothing? MOANING?”
    Dexter launched into a spot on cover of Keith Urban’s Cop Car. A mortified Michael realized that Dexter was the only performer not covering Haley, and would be the only one getting the coveted A from Michael. A visibly shaken Michael devoted nezrly six minutes of coverage to the following week’s The Voice.

35. Mike says:

Get rid of the niggas on the show!!!!