Lost Reunion @ PaleyFest: Outrigger Mystery 'Solved,' the Clone Theory, Icky Kissing and More

Lost Reunion PaleyFestThey simply had to go baaaaack!

At PaleyFest on Sunday night, Lost alumni Josh Holloway, Yunjin Kim, Jorge Garcia, Ian Somerhalder, Maggie Grace, Henry Ian Cusick and Malcolm David “Walllltttt!” Kelley joined showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for a reunion panel that was moderated by comedian/superfan Paul Scheer and covered such topics as….

FAN FICTION | Asked about the wildest theories they ever heard from fans, “I had a guy once say that when the plane was in the air, we were all cloned,” Garcia shared, “and the story was really about our clones.” Holloway, meanwhile, risked an early death for Sawyer when during Season 2 he theorized to the producers that the island could move “like the Death Star.” Noting Lindelof’s reaction, the actor promptly zipped his lip. “I was afraid of dying!”

LOCAL HEROES | Holloway recalls from his time living and working in Hawaii “one fan I saw a few too many times,” and occasionally with the offer of a “chicken dinner” (which Lindeof joked was code for “sex”). Cuse, meanwhile, recounted a time that Terry O’Quinn hitched a ride home from the set, from a local, who blew past his house and instead drove straight to hers, explaining, “I have to show you to my husband!”

WORSE THAN KISSING YOUR SISTER | …is kissing her when Maggie Grace’s mouth is full of minced garlic after puffing on a cigar, Somerhalder recalled of an on-set prank that capped a long day of shooting Boone and Shannon’s makeout scene. (“One of my proudest moments,” Grace teased.)

‘STOLEN’ MOMENTS | Though no one could officially cop to pinching any props before wrapping the series, Lindelof allegedly has a coffee table at home made from the hatch cover (“Maybe it fell off a truck?” he claimed), Cuse might have possession of the hatch’s countdown clock, Garcia’s home possibly features paintings similar to Hurley’s and one might find in Grace’s closet a “tennis-themed prom outfit” that Shannon once wore.

MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH | Cuselof went back over the infamous tale of how an original plan was to get a “name” like Michael Keaton to play Jack, have him do all kinds of press for the premiere and be the “face” of the series, only to then be killed off in the pilot — thus suggesting all bets were off with this show. But an ABC exec countered, “If you [do that] in the pilot, the audience will never trust you again and never form emotional bonds with the characters,” Lindelof related. “It ended up being a great note.” Somerhalder, the first major player to be killed off, took the news well (and perhaps soothed the sting with some pinot, he said, as he was touring wine country when he got word), while Kim figured she was safe once she learned Sun was going to get pregnant. “I relaxed from then on,” she laughed.

OUTRIGGER MYSTERY ‘SOLVED’ | Presented with the undying question of who was on the other boat firing guns at Sawyer, Juliet and others in the outrigger in the time-trippy Season 5’s “Little Prince” episode, Lindelof said that the writers in fact wrote a scene that offered a “cool answer, but what’s much cooler is to not answer the question.” The scene still exists on paper, he said, and one day may be auctioned off for charity.

MATTERS OF AFTERLIFE AND DEATH | Invited to explain the origin of the final season’s flash-sideways/denoument, Lindelof recalled how early fan theories, from Day 1, suggested that the island was a form of Purgatory — which the producers readily discounted, to make clear that “this is real, all these things are happening.” Then as the final season rolled around, they decided to answer a mystery no one thought to raise — “like, I don’t know, what’s the meaning of life and what happens after you die?” Lindelof quipped. So they used Juliet’s whacking of the bomb to “Trojan horse a time paradox story” which segued into “this afterlife parable.” The more they consdiered that twist, “We got very excited … and became very engaged.”

PLANE CONFUSION | Asked to place some sort of quiet “buffer” between the series finale’s emotional final scene and the next bank of commercials, all the producers had handy was old, banked footage of the Oceanic plane wreckage on the beach — which Lindelof said “only exacerbated the problem” of people thinking the characters had been dead the whole time.

1. Eric says:

I know that Lost will go down in history, but if I’m being honest, they made a once cool show with a cool concept into a confusing mess of series that made no sense. Or heck, maybe it did make sense and I just don’t get it. Regardless, if the masses cannot understand the ending of your series and are overall confused, you did something wrong. I don’t mind television that is compelling and makes you think. In fact, I welcome it. With the overflow of ridiculous, mindless reality series, we need smart television. But there is a different between smart, compelling series and confusing, messy, complicated series. The later is what Lost became. I might get a ton of flack for saying it, but it’s the truth. For me at least.

• Naazneen says:

No Flack here. I acouldnt agree more. I looooved this series. And even the latter seasons have some golden moments. But in the end, there was too much ‘that the hell is happening here’ and not enough understanding of exactly well… what the hell happened.

• You won’t get any flack from me, I agree with you 100%! It was one of those series that i didn’t get into until it was over & i binge watched all the seasons in under a week & I was still incredibly confused when it was over. The writers & show runners just had no long term plan for the show so no matter how good it was at the beginning it fell apart because they weren’t laying the groundwork for the future seasons. You can always tell the long term planned shows from the season to season fly by the seat of our pants ones, they’re the great shows that last for 6+ seasons.

• mooshki says:

I keep thinking that I’d like to watch it again, but then I remember how it ended and I change my mind. There’s no good point to stop watching without feeling frustrated.

• Ben says:

I remember reading the 5th Harry Potter book. Man it was a pain. So negative. So frustrating. I never wanted to read it again.

I didn’t feel like that the second time, or any other time. Just the first time. I’m just saying – you know how it ended now. The second time you might see a lot more of the beauty in it, without the expectation that it is going to be something it isn’t. It is worth giving it a shot.

• Mikael says:

I completely agree about Order of the Phoenix. I hated it as I read it the first time, but now I can appreciate it in the context of the series’ progression.

• Ben says:

It did make sense – and one of the most frustrating things as a fan who ‘gets it’ is than the majority didn’t understand it at all. Your point is well made and makes a lot of sense, it helps me understand where the fans who ‘didn’t get it’ are coming from.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

Have to agree with Ben here. No flack at all to Eric above as he was totally respectful of the show (unlike so many others that have ripped it to bits since the finale aired) but as a fan that was never confused as to what was going on, it is a little annoying to see people always claiming that it was too complicated or answers weren’t given.

Honestly, pretty much every answer was offered. Occasionally those answers came in places you might not have noticed them at first, but that doesn’t mean that the writers failed. The show was the ultimate mystery story and the answers didn’t need to be entirely obvious all the time.

With the exception of the outrigger problem (which as I understand it was left out for time) all the major mysteries have answers and I’d be happy to point anyone in their direction. Unless it’s questions like ‘Why was Walt special?’ because then you just have to accept that some people within the Lost reality were ‘special’. Always makes me laugh that people get up in arms over Walt having psychic ability when Hurley and Miles both displayed similar attributes and no one seemed to want to know why! ;)

But basically? Awesome show that required an open mind and a lot of extra thought. One of my all time top five shows!

• Mai says:

100% with you and Ben. As someone who also ‘got it’ when it aired, i always thought people were asking wrong questions like “Why is walt special?”, ‘WHAT is the island?”. I think that to clearly understand the show the first thing to do is accept that the island is a special place and thats it. I’ve been explaining this finale since it aired and to me it was awesome and perfect, a full circle, as i did belive the show was about Love (as Cuselof later explained) and about these people and the mysteries were there to make we care about them. But i understand Eric’s point of view too, even tho to me it was an amazing ending, it could only have been perfect if every one had gotten it, and that didnt happen.

• Krystan says:

I got the ending. I loved the series. I can see how the ending could be confusing for some. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people who are still spouting off the purgatory theory as fact. That drives me nuts.
            However, even if I hadn’t gotten the ending I would not let one episode ruin the series for me. It is too good to let it get spoiled.

• 1543 says:

I got the ending perfectly. And I still hated it. It’s such a cop-out. Oh, they’re all dead and in the afterlife? Well, that does nicely solve the problem of EVERY SINGLE IMPORTANT CHARACTER DIES except for Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Miles, Richard, Lapidus, Hurley, Ben, Desmond, and Penny. Out of 30+ major characters, 10 survived. And why all the Christian mythology? Not all of the viewers are Christian. I loved the first 5 seasons, and the on-island stuff in Season Six, but the ending, with everybody being dead, well… I hate it every time.

• Jonathan says:

My partner has the same problem with the ending. I’m less bothered by it because I still think it can be read through two important lenses: one, the “afterlife” seems to be Jack-centric, so we’re seeing it through his eyes, literally and figuratively, at the moment he’s dying. Two, I think that the Island is providing him with this purgatory/afterlife experience at the moment of his death. Note that the series ends simultaneously with the afterlife church construct becoming bathed in bright light and Jack’s eye closing as he dies on the island. The show always messed with space and time, so it’s easy to assume that the entire “Sideways” world happened within that quick span of time that Jack was laying there dying. I read the end one of two ways, then: he dies and everything goes “light” in contrast to the Sopranos “everything goes dark” ending, either way, if you believe in an afterlife, fine (I guess), if not, that is just the end of Jack. The other reading makes more sense to me, which is that the end of the sideways experience sees Jack and the others ultimately return to the “source” (the magic glowing light at the heart of the island…shades of “The Matrix”) which fulfills a lot of the ideas and plotlines throughout the series (loops, death and rebirth, paradoxes, etc.).

• Thank you! I am in total agreement with everything both of you guys have said. The ending of this show was awesome and made me both gasp and cry. If you didn’t get it, that isn’t the fault of the writers. You just weren’t paying enough attention.

• Mary says:

I thought the ending was beautiful and fit perfectly with the series. I had no problem grasping the meaning of the show either. It seemed to me that many people wanted a specific ending, didn’t get it, so now they hate the entire show. I viewed it with no expectations and took it for what it was. It’s also one of my all time favorite series.

• Alex says:

Wow, thanks for slamming people who thought the show didn’t give comprehensible answers. Guess we just need your superior brain to be able to understand the meaning of life and all that. I hope you enjoy life perched on your stinky high horse.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

In my experience, if you take offense at the suggestion that someone might be questioning your intelligence, it’s usually because you secretly feel that you are in fact quite dim.

I never claimed to have some sort of superior intelligence. I just said that the answers are there if you pay attention and look for them. If that offended you then maybe it’s because you know I’m probably right.

• Zayne says:

I get the ending. I just reject the premise of it outright. You will never convince me that they NEVER wanted to close out the plot mysteries of the series and that it was ALWAYS about the characters. That’s such a cop out and complete BS. I know there are fans out there that can let the plot threads hang and be satisfied with what they got. I’m just not one of them at all. After watching the show for 6 years. I wanted closure to plots that, in my opinion, were the more interesting aspects of the show in a lot of respects.

I think their answer to the outrigger question epitomizes everything wrong with their approach towards the last couple seasons and the fans in general. How hard would it have been to just answer the question if the scene is actually written? Treat your fans that stayed with you with a little respect. It’s not like they were asking for the explanation of the Numbers (god forbid). It’s a simple question that you supposedly have the answer to.

I loved the show for a long time. I especially loved seasons 4 and 5. I thought they were pretty expertly crafted seasons of television. I just think season 6 flushed that all away and left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I own seasons 1-5, but I don’t foresee myself ever going back to watch this series again.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

Out of interest, Zayne, other than the outrigger issue, what else do you feel was left hanging?

And as far as the outrigger goes, as I understand it, the intended explanation would have required a significant amount of set up, as it was a plot thread that involved the original crew of the Black Rock, also adrift in time at that point. So you can perhaps excuse the writers of admitting defeat in trying to shoehorn that in when other plots started to take priority.

• Zayne says:

If the original crew of the Black Rock really was the explanation, I feel like Ab Aeterno, where they showed the Black Rock crash would have been a very organic way to fit that in.

One of my main frustrations for me was all of the new elements we were introduced to in the final season that felt half-baked and left things even more ambiguous, like the Lighthouse that can see anywhere in the world. The Temple with a whole new sect of people that apparently have just been chilling out this whole time. The giant hole of shining light that somehow “made” the Smoke Monster. The big giant literal “cork” on the island, every single, terrible second of “Across the Sea”. It just all felt very rushed to me. You had 3 years to plan your ending, there’s no excuse for it to be this sloppy. I guess it’s less that the mysteries were unanswered and more that what we got seemed completely pulled out of nowhere, implying that they never had a plan to begin with.

Also, the Flash Sideways felt like a giant misdirect that was wildly unnecessary. The whole “we can go dutch” thing seemed like a back pedal in the finale. It was mildly confirmed with the answer above that it initially began as a time paradox story which is what it should have been.

I enjoyed the emotional high points of the finale and I cared for these characters, I just found myself frustrated on a weekly basis during season 6.

As I’m thinking about it, maybe the season would be better in a larger chunk as opposed to weekly. Maybe it would be better now that time has passed. I don’t know. The more I type the more I remember the good parts and the things that irritated me seem less of a big deal.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

Okay, well a lot of that is just personal opinion, which obviously I can’t dispute because that’s how you feel. Which is fine. As you say, it’s more that you didn’t like the elements introduced in season six than you felt that answers weren’t given. I have to say though, I disagree there.

The lighthouse, the cork, the energy it held back. All of these things were manifestations of the power of the Island, It was basically the doorway between life and death, and all the things we saw in season six were there not to be scientifically explained, but to further demonstrate the supernatural nature of the Island itself. The lighthouse, for example, showing the Island custodian the way to the various candidates. Its basic form was no more or less important than that of the cabin. It was an explanation in itself, rather than requiring one.

The temple had been mentioned before, so that was nothing new. And the idea that there were people there we had never seen before? When you consider just how little time that the survivors actually spent on the Island (at least in the present day) that shouldn’t be a surprise, It seemed that part of the reason that The Others existed was to keep people away from there, so it’s not such a big surprise that they succeeded.

I get it if you didn’t like the sudden influx of ‘magical’ type stuff in season six, given that the ‘magic’ had been dealt with in a very scientific sort of way up until then, but it was clear from very early on that the DHARMA lot were as much in the dark as to the true nature of the Island as any of the Losties, so seeing the Island from the truer perspective of what it really was felt necessary to me.

Honestly, I’d have been a lot more disappointed if they had gone with the ‘alternate reality’ option for the flash sideways. I felt much more attached to the afterlife versions of the characters, knowing that they were still our guys after death, than I would have done if they had simply been ‘What If?’ versions. And I daresay that if you watch season six again, knowing what you finally know, you’ll have a greater appreciation for what you are seeing.

In fact, speaking as someone who has enjoyed the show start to finish four times now, I’d really recommend that anyone give it another complete watch through. I promise you’ll see it on an entirely different level.

• Zayne says:

I agree it’s totally my opinion. I try not to speak in absolutes regarding this stuff because I know there are people that thoroughly enjoyed most of season 6 and that’s perfectly valid. That’s why my post has a lot of “felt” and “feels”

Regarding the alternate timeline vs. afterlife. I still would have wanted them to “awaken” the way they did in the show. I just felt like a lot of trials on the island were ways for them to get redemption and an actual flash sideways to an alternate life would have been the second chance they’d earned. It was especially my hope for that to be true after Jin and Sun bit it a whole 5 seconds after reuniting.

The creators were really playing an expectations game with the final season and I appreciate how difficult of a position that was. They just didn’t meet my expectations at the time, which admittedly were high. I just really loved seasons 4 and 5. I thought they were excellent self-contained pieces of the story while still moving the larger story forward. Season 6 just seemed to grind down to a slow crawl to me. The mystical elements also seemed off. I understand your point and it makes logical sense, it’s just didn’t really gel for me at the time.

Thanks for the reasoned responses btw. This is the most sophisticated discussion of LOST, post-finale, I’ve ever had because most people quickly devolve into screaming out anyone that doesn’t agree with them are idiots. This is refreshing, and making me actually consider a rewatch and see if I feel differently now that time has passed.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

You’re welcome. I think Lost is one of those shows that divided opinion for a reason, so debating what was shown is a good thing. And it deserves to be discussed rationally because that was such a large part of the show when it was on the air.

But yeah, I’d definitely recommend that rewatch, if for no other reason than the superb character moments that never seem to grow old. You see connections and details that you never noticed the first time around, and that might even help give you more significance to the parts of season six you weren’t so keen on. If you get around to it, enjoy! :)

• 1543 says:

Totally agree

• I can agree with confusing and complicated, but messy? I thought it was very well put together. I agree that there was a point between season 4-5 that the story felt bloated and the story-telling became more about the mysteries than about the people, which was frustrating. But I think seasons 1,2,3, and 6 were all brilliant.

• darthlocke says:

The Island is a time machine that houses the essence of life (Heart of the Island = Life, Death, and Rebirth. “Heart” is an Ancient Egyptian concept of the heart being the doorway to the collective conscience)

The flash sideways is an ethereal [death] plane that is always a long side, in between, and within “material” existence (that is why you can never “leave” the FS, but move one)

It Only Ends Once, Everything Else Is Just Progress = as along as there is this Island with it’s exotic-electromagnetic water and light in tact, life never ends. The Island then presents life extension on every conceivable level and though out the series you get glimpses of other time lines (ex: all the way Charlie had died, The Constant – Widmore and Penny’s roles are reversed and “our” Penny never comments on Desmond asking her to call…)

Additionally I think the FS showed us the beginnings of the next 2004 in the next time line the characters made by time traveling (made branch off), but the idea was they had to remember to past to understand the connection and/or new time line made so they could move onto it together.
      The Island then recycles humanity in variable sets so they can spiritual progress, come to terms with themselves, and save the Island…

• guest says:

sorry – you just didn’t get it. yes the show required that people think, pay attention to details and most important – be able to remember plot elements from previous episodes. The entire show is like a puzzle and yes as they developed the show year after year it became more complicated – that tends to happen with any serialized story – ie. comic books.

and yes like life – it was designed NOT to provide all the answers – they did that ON PURPOSE. there are mysteries in real life that have forever gone unsolved.
      who killed JFK? where did Amelia Earhart go? what the heck happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370? Answer any of those questions (or other real life mysteries) and then you can say Lost was a mess.

the eery similarities to the disappearance of Oceanic 815 to the real life Malaysia flight just shows that reality is never too far off from fiction.

2. Tyarte says:

I was there. It was awesome because I LOVE LOST. But it has to be said…when the cast member literally doing the most talking is Ian (Boone) who is killed in the first season, you’re wondering a bit where the heck Jack, Kate, Locke, Sayeed, Ben, Juliet are….yes, this was a large cast, but their was a core cast and most of them were missing. Still worth every penny and the drive to LA but for sure was a little off because of that.

• We Have To Go Back... Again... says:

To be fair, aren’t most of them currently filming various stuff? Michael on POI, Elizabeth on Revolution and so on? No idea about the various production schedules but it’s fair to say that just because Ian and the rest were able to work it into their free time, others might not have been able to even if they had wanted.

• Alice says:

Ian probably forgot he wasn’t at a Vampire Diaries panel- where he also talks the most. Although, since he did get killed off first season of LOST, he probably never got to do the whole LOST Comicon or Paley panel experience after it got a big following, so maybe he was just making up for lost time.

3. Lysh says:

I could have watched this for another hour, tbh. Damon and Carlton should start up their podcast again. I really missed (real) Matthew Fox and Evi though. And Emilie.

4. James says:

So I’m confused. They hated the purgatory idea, but then ended up loving by the end? I watched all 6 and I’m still not quite sure what was going on.

• Lysh says:

They weren’t in purgatory the entire time, which was the theory of the Island, which was a totally real experience for everyone. But I guess they wanted to end it by answering the questions that people weren’t asking about the show: the meaning of life and what happens after it. So I guess the flash-sideways in the last season were kind of a purgatory.

• Ben says:

On the island was real life, not purgatory. The flash-sideways in the final season was afterlife to me, not purgatory. But either way, they never said they hated purgatory, they just always said (at the time) that the events on the island had to be real, had to be important (basically, they were saving the world and the human race) – otherwise the experience they went through and all the death it included would not have been worth it. So they hated the idea of the time on the island as being purgatory, but clearly not the idea of portraying purgatory/afterlife in a different way.

• They actually answered that at Paleyfest. I won’t go to far into it as both people above me have mostly already said it, but everything on island was real…their version of the afterlife was with each other because they spent the most important times of their lives with one another. If you rewatch the finale with that in mind I think it makes sense.

5. Sara says:

How can I watch it?

• Zack Quinti says:

well if you can’t figure that mystery out, I don’t think this show is for you.

• Kelly says:

I think she is talking about the Paleyfest panel. I too am curious about that. Last year they put it on Hulu.com. I assumed they would do it again, but right now, it looks like all the panels are live stream. Any chance they will post it later?

6. Teag says:

One of the best shows ever. Anyone who doesn’t understand the story doesn’t have an imagination.

7. kerry says:

Ugh. I just hate the whole “We know the answer and it is so cool, but we’re aren’t going to tell you.” They bug me.

• Mandy says:

that answer is so obnoxious.

• Mike V. says:

It’s tough to get the humor from their statements around the outrigger from reading it in the article above. The event live streamed last night and while they were totally serious that they did write the scene and that they won’t reveal it it was played to laughs. Some guy in the audience asked the question and they joked around that they wrote the answer and it definitively answered the question but then all of the writers together decided not to reveal it. In the writers room they then debated that one day at a panel some super fan would still ask about it and they made a pact to never reveal it until one day they auction it off for charity. Naturally, I can’t do Damon’s sense of humor justice but the packed theater was laughing, as was I.

But, the point they were getting to was that what people thought they wanted (and the writers did too until they started writing the final season) was a season of answers. People came in with a checklist of questions and said to themselves, “they better answer these questions or the whole thing will have been a waste”. Now, if you went to everyone’s house and read those lists of questions, I’ll bet you would have found many differing questions that the writers never planned on even being questions. But, the nature of the show caused people to speculate and come up with some crazy stuff. Anyway, when it came to answering things actually proposed by the show like “Why was Libby in the mental institution?” or “Who was in the outrigger?” they realized that providing these answers was certainly possible, but would it have been rewarding in the end? Do you remember how “great” the answer to the WHISPERS was? They just threw that one into a story but it also felt very forced with Hurley asking and basically telling the audience “That’s what the whispers are?” Imagine a whole season of little answers like that. Carlton said back then and said it again last night, they were afraid of making the final season “didactic” and just a rambling off of answers with no regards to telling a story in the final season. They often used the midichlorian example too as a reason why providing answers to the mysteries sometimes ruins things. Naturally, the difference with the FORCE was that no one was ever asking why the Force worked the way it did. People just accepted that it was awesome! And then George Lucas decided to write an answer to the mystery. But still, if you think about that awful scene from The Phantom Menace where little Anakin asked Qui Gon, “I’ve been wondering, what ARE midichlorians?” followed by an encyclopedic answer…you can start to imagine how boring season 6 could have been (yes, some may argue it was boring anyway). Think about the architect scene from The Matrix Reloaded…same concept.

Anyway, LOST answered the BIG questions that needed answering and most of the time they did it in a way that flowed naturally and was awesome. Kicking off season 6 with revealing who the Smoke Monster was comes to mind. Would I have loved to have known who was in that outrigger? Sure, it was on my “list” too. lol But, at the same time, I never felt it was an essential question that needed to be answered to understand the show and can laugh off the comments they made last night. But, I understand others not feeling the same way. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents (as I usually unnecessarily feel the need to do lol).

• Julie says:

Long and some won’t take the time to read it but great answer. I agree wholeheartedly. A
        Though I’ve never watched any of the Star Wars movies so I can’t make the comparison, nor do I have any interest to. However with LOST there was such a build up for six years of what this island was, what it represented, and what each little mystery along the way had to do with it that it was impossible for everyone to be satisfied with the answer. Hence the debate we as fans seem to constantly find ourselves in.

• Thank you. You are why I still have a tiny bit of faith in humanity.

• Zayne says:

I can understand your point. And honestly, Lindelof and Cuse took a LOT of crap from the generally awful people out there nowadays. While their answer may have been played for laughs, it’s still a generally callous approach to the non-obnoxious fans that were frustrated by the way season 6 played out.

Is it impractical to have wished that everything would be answered, absolutely. Was it too much to ask that they NOT introduce more concepts that would never receive firm answers? I don’t think it is.

• Mike says:

Understandable…I think in the case of the Outrigger, they probably planned on addressing that IN season 5 and logistically they couldn’t figure out a way to get back there. There were plenty of opporunities to fit it into season 6 as there were many outrigger scenes, but I’m sure they would’ve just been throwing it in there just to check that one off the checklist and where it might not make the most sense. Plus, they promised the world that season 6 would feature “NOTHING” about time travel. Answering the outrigger question in season 6 would break that rule. lol

I’m not saying that excuses them introducing it in the first place. But, I’m sure there were reasons beyond what they’ve said to why it didn’t make the cut.

You make a valid argument in any case. I just think they had ambitious plans, but in the end it may have been difficult to coherently fit all of those answers in the final season where it wouldn’t overwhelm the story they were trying to tell.

8. Julie says:

I loved the entire series, cried at the ending and wish I could watch it all over for the first time. Things like who was in the outrigger, why Aaron/Walt were important, etc weren’t all that important to me because I loved the characters (or most of them at least). I think this panel including Josh and Jorge have it a little credibility but without Matthew, Evangeline, Terry, Daniel and Michael we were missing a lot of key people involved with the show.

I disagree that they didn’t know what they were doing the whole time, and I guess we’ll never know for sure, but shortly after it ended I watched the entire series again with my husband who had never seen it and I feel like in episode one you have clues to where it’s going. (Backgammon with John and Walt: “One is light , one is dark”). Maybe they didn’t have every little thing mapped out but to me it’s obvious that there was at least some sort of plan. To each their own I guess. To me it was a great ride that I’ll never get sick of watching.

9. Josh says:

I understand and respect that some answers are better left mysterious. Midochlorians is a great example. Walt was a tricky case. He pushed the plot forward the first two seasons and Ben implied they got more then they bargained for with him and then they just left it alone. Granted Walt was the protector of the island after Hurley most likely according to the DVD extra. So in that way they did explain his purpose. They used a lot of red herrings like that. Aaron was another case the psychic was basically a liar but the way it was presented they made you think he was the antichrist or something. Again I understand the need for misdirection.

Here’s where I get annoyed. It makes perfect and complete sense the smoke monster was the big bad of the show. He stalked them from the first night they landed on the island. He took a special interest in Locke and then Eko. They may not have always known he was a cloud of smoke but his actions make sense from the beginning. I read somewhere that some of locke’s stories were supposed to go to Eko but then he wanted off the show which they couldn’t help. They did the best they could. The reveal in the statue that Locke wasn’t Locke is still epic and then watching the smoke monster wipe out bran and his army and then turn back to Locke was a perfect answer. Then it started to go south. Since Jacob was dead he could only take locke’s form that was the only reason they would give. The ash circle was used to keep him from attacking but that was never explained. I understand how he was created but again doesn’t make sense considering jack and Desmond both went down the waterfall. I guess you can assume the man in black always had evil In his heart but still. And they implied that Egypt was a big part of the islands backstory and was related to the monster but never an answer. Same thing with dharma they were clearly aware of its presence they knew how to keep it at bay with the sonic waves but why did that work exactly? And his and Jacobs rules with each other almost seemed too convinent they weren’t explained very well they just fit the plot. Also Jacobs cabin is a confusing mess of you think about it. There was an ash circle around it either keeping the monster out or trapped in a mini prison. Jacob was using it at one time but then clearly the monster was too. But then someone scooted the ash to the side and they allowed the monster to go freely. Ben knew about te cabin but had never been spoke too before I guess Richard could have told him. But then Richard was getting Instructions from both Jacob and the monster. I think things like this is what drives the fans crazy. There were answers BUT a whole lot of misdirection too.

• Mike says:

I kept thinking you were going to get to a “BUT” and talk about your big gripe but you pretty much answered every question you had the way I would’ve answered it too. Nicely done! lol I totally agree about the misdirection. We have to assume that some of that may not ALWAYS have been misdirection and more “course correction”. Maybe my 2004 self actually believed that they had a bible and knew where this show was going at every intersection along the way, but my 2014 self (or my gradual acknowledgement of the process from 2004-2010 lol) understands more about the nature of television and how sometimes NOT having a plan and only making it SEEM like there was a plan is the way to go. It allows much more flexibility in the creative process…and writers thrive on that. Sure, they developed a loose outline to work towards, but all of the details in between needed to be flushed out in the writer’s room. Maybe the psychic WAS going to be a bigger deal, but they made him a fraud in the end. (but still…how did the psychic know Claire needed to be on THAT plane? Was he full of it? Was Jacob involved? Eh…choose your own adventure I guess lol) I’m fine with there being some loose ends like that. I’ve rewatched the show from start to finish without pausing to question WHY all of the time and I loved every minute of it. The questions and speculation were fun while the show aired. But, we were left with 6 years of a fantastic piece of dramatic television with great characters placed in this crazy environment where they essentially had a “do-over” in life and could do something meaningful. I always encourage people to rewatch the show and just enjoy it as a show first with questions 2nd. They may be surprised how good it is. (easier said than done I know) It was a fun 6 year ride…but yes if someone tries to pick apart the little things, they’re just begging to be disappointed. lol

10. Jerry says:

I, too am quite confused with the ending. But I’ve always seen LOST more of its process than its ending, so the ending didn’t bug me too much, though it really could have been better. I also can’t keep up with a lot of the mysteries, so I didn’t even keep count on what are the things they have missed out. The moment LOST goes into science fiction territory, and at the end of Season 3 where you know that leaving the island is NOT the end of the story, it has already set up to be a thrilling ride, but disappointment is inevitable.

Once Upon A Time probably will end in a “disappointing manner” for similar reasons, because the premise of the story have already changed from the beginning of people finding happy endings to whatever it is now.

Probably only a few drama series where how it ends will truly matter, like Revenge (as that is the premise of the entire show).

11. Caren says:

i absolutely loved Lost! sure, the time travel and time lines made my brain leak out my ears from time to time; sure, i had lots of questions as i was watching it… but at the end of the day, it was an awesome TV show, and i still loved *every* minute of it.

12. I don’t want to get into a whole exhausting conversation about the show. We’e all had enough of those. I only want to say that when the final scene ended and we saw the footage of plane wreckage on the beach, I knew immediately–IMMEDIATELY–that this was intended to be an emotional rest stop before ABC began assaulting us with “COMING UP LIVE ON EYEWITNESS NEWS” promos for the 11 PM broadcast. It was clear that the purpose of the quiet, poignant film was to give us some breathing room before life started up again. NO MORE, NO LESS. People who decided to make something else out of it need to stop drinking Red Bull and visiting government conspiracy websites.

13. Pat says:

I am so enjoying all the comments here on this site about ” LOST “. When this show started up, I watched it and I stayed with it to the very end. During the first season, my husband tried to watch it once when he was at the gym, but told me are you kidding you need to take acid to understand what the blank is going on. I just laughed at him but you know what there were times that I started to think my husband was right because as the seasons went on some of them started to get confusing, but I stuck with it to the very end and no I did not have to do any drugs to watch even some of the confusing parts, PS For everyone’s information, my husband was referencing an old “60’s” saying. Neither one of us do drugs!!

14. Josh says:

Mike- agree about the rewatch they were always big on the characters and they said that from the beginning. If you can rewatch it and don’t get caught up in the misdirects or course corrects it really is good tv. For example locke’s dad and sawyer in the brig. They had a conversation about how their in hell and he died ad woke up In the boat. Now we know the others could travel off the island and brought him there with the sub. That also takes care of the magic box Ben talked about. It’s more enjoyable when you know things like that already and you can appreciate the story being told. Those characters really grew during the course of the show. Locke’s story is so epic/ tragic it’s crazy when you get to the resolution that he was a pawn since he was born. Incredible story telling.

• Jonathan says:

I know I’m one of the people who got obsessed by the “magic box” thing, but I really think that it’s an important element to understand the show, particularly since so many odd things were never directly explained (like the cabin, the lighthouse, the resurrection pool thingy at the Temple, etc.). Not only does this island appear to be the source of life and death (and rebirth), but it does appear to have any number of other mysterious, mystical powers which can pretty much explain away most nagging questions. I think it’s safe to say that Hurley, Miles, and Walt all got their strange abilities from the island, I think that there is an element of wish fulfillment that the island uses to manipulate people, and it’s fairly obvious that the island created the purgatory/afterlife for the characters in the final season. It’s important to look at these aspects of the island to understand the themes of the show, which always dabbled in science, philosophy, and religion. This is a thing which is ultimately unknowable, although the main characters are closer to it than anyone else in the end.

15. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Lost is my favorite show as you could probably tell from my name. For all of those that complain that answers weren’t given I always just say that’s just like real life, we never can and never will get answers to all of the questions we have. Also for me the show was always so much more about the characters than the mysteries which is why I found the ending to be so rewarding.

16. Chris says:

With all the talking on here about people wanting the answer to the outrigger mystery I figured I’d let everyone know that they actually DID answer that mystery – just not in the show.

OUTRIGGER MYSTERY ANSWER:

One of the cool extras that came with the big “Complete Series” box was a small excerpt from the Black Rock’s ship’s log (an actual piece of paper, not on a disc). In that excerpt one of the things it mentions is that before the big storm ran them aground they sent out a scouting (outrigger) party that ran across (and fired upon) another group of people in an outrigger who suddenly disappeared.

So there you have it, straight from the Complete Series bonus content – crew members from the Black Rock were in the other outrigger – mystery solved.

17. Mikael says:

I would like to go back and revisit the series now that some years have passed. Unfortunately the Complete Series on blu-ray is out of print and is being sold for crazy prices by 3rd parties. They should really release another complete set. I don’t think the final season will bother me so much this time around.

18. shar says:

Best show ever. I cried for days when it was over. When Jack and Juliette died, it was like someone in the family. I watch the whole show ever summer. Each time I see it, there is something that I seemed to have missed.

19. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I’ve been checking TVline and sister-site Deadline to see how things went at Paley Fest over the weekend, and have been reading how things went for the HIMYM team at the Fest, and wanted to drop by this post to see how things went for the Lost reunion.

I loved/love this Lost series, and many times use this show to help explain/better understand some of the things that are happening at HIMYM as it winds down to the end. Lost and HIMYM – how’s that for a crazy combo! ;)

I didn’t enjoy all of the seasons of Lost equally, and I’ve not been able to fully understand season 6/final season, but the very good of the series (and there were plenty) make up for perhaps one or two of the moments/themes/seasons that might not have been as good in my mind, or that I didn’t/couldn’t/can’t fully understand. I’m okay with that – Lost has provided so much for fans/viewers to have enjoyed and remember fondly.

My favorite season of Lost was season 3 – what a ride that was! Starting out with Jack, Sawyer, Kate, and co. as captives of ‘The Others’, the introduction of Juliet, Jack helping Kate and Sawyer escape (RUN!!!) after he sees them hooking up in the cage, Jack and Juliet hitting it off, Kate going back with Said to rescue Jack, Sawyer staying behind at the camp: “there’s a new sheriff in town”, etc. That hole story arc was absolutely amazing and thrilling, ending with that great shot of Jack, Kate, Said and Juliet walking back across the island to their home base again. And then the season ending with ‘We have to go back,’ and the season starting out with Juliet and ‘Downtown’. Wow. Stunning. That season 3 was an entire 8-season run for most television dramas – there was so much going on in season 3 of Lost. Incredible.

My second favorite season was ‘4’, with the focus on the ‘Oceanic-6′, with Jack and Kate trying to make a go of it back home (she can’t, she’s haunted by Sawyer, Jack haunted by guilt over Sawyer and the others left behind), and back on the island, Sawyer and Juliet ‘setting up house’ and the time shift on the island. Crazy, good stuff.

I can’t quite recall what season (4?) the ‘island escape’ took place, when the freighter explodes, Sawyer jumps out of the helicopter, and swims to shore to greet Juliet (who has been watching in horror as the freighter explodes). Sawyer comes out of the water to shore and with that cat-ate-canary Josh smile says: “Nice day for a swim.” Good stuff – I still laugh thinking about that Sawyer-Juliet scene that turns nasty real fast when Juliet tells him to look back out over the water at the freighter engulfed in flames. What a moment. The look on Josh’s face.

Regardless of whether I understood every aspect of the final season 6 [and I got 'lost' many times during that final season], this series was remarkable, and the only sad thing in my mind (and I feel this as well with HIMYM as it comes to an end) is that these types of series come along very, very seldom, and I worry that I may not see another Lost or HIMYM come along any time soon. That make me sad sometimes, but these memories, syndication re-runs, Paley Fests and DVDs help keep the smiles and laughs close by for all times.

See you on the other side….

20. Max says:

Load. of. crap.

21. Lolo says:

I like to think that I really ‘got’ Lost. But who knows, maybe I’m wrong. But to even have that understanding I have watched it 3-4 times. I always recommend watch this show multiple times because there’s always something new that I never got which is great, And a lot of those unanswered questions weren’t super important to the plot. Just tibits. What I got from watching Lost is that sometimes, some things might not need to be answered for our own good, and that we need to accept these things and move on. To me it’s one of the most beautiful and emotional stories when you get it. It was about the characters.

22. Carl says:

Consumption of multivitamin and multimineral dietary supplements useful for and prevent disease.
    Why the FDA refuses to recognize stevia as a likely healthy alternative to
    sugar still remains a mystery, since there are still no known studies that support its benefits or alleged side-effects.
    Found near the bladder and rectum, it helps to regulate
    bladder control and sexual functioning.

23. Jael says:

I read a comment on here stating that a viewer understood the show perfectly and got the ending but didn’t appreciate the show for having ‘Christian’ views. If you understood the show you would understand that the writers wrote the show according to a standard custom belief that does not cast out any religion and that this show can be applicable for all without anyone of any religion or belief feeling left out or dismissed. Lost is the most intricate written show and for any to say that it doesn’t make sense is sad and a discredit to the writers.

• hayleyscomett says:

Perfectly said :) So glad to see there are others (pun intended) who get it and understand LOST – Best show ever!!

24. Joshua says:

All of these comments are amazing! I just want to say anyone who has questions might want to watch Lost again. After watching the entire series right when the show ended, I learned a lot of valuable life lessons. I understood the show and all of the concepts 100%, but for those who don’t, I urge you to watch the entire series again. Since the mystery of flight 370 happened, I have been watching Lost just because I was in the mood for it. … You have know idea what length of detail the show went into. … In the first season, one of the first episodes (not sure which one, but the one that flashbacks into Locke’s story) we see Locke at his work. He uses a calculator to do some math and when he pushes the total button … a specific noise is made. That noise is quite familar but at the time we don’t really know it. The noise of the calculator is the same noise of the black smoke. Small details like this have a huge impact when analyzing the entire series.

25. After reading all these comments, I decided to go ahead and enter my 2 cents. I’m currently on a rewatch, just started season 5, and I have to admit that I am loving lost even more than ever before. To be sure, this is probably my 7th rewatch but for some reason everything is clearer. But I am dreading season 6. I Hated season 6. They went through SO much trouble trying to established the science aspect, Faraday going to Ann arbour, Hughes, the reset. It is just so disappointing that they felt the need to negate the plan of an alt, and just cop out with a happy afterlife ending. It blows. Hard.

26. MCXX says:

” Lindelof said that the writers in fact wrote a scene that offered a “cool answer, but what’s much cooler is to not answer the question.”

-Damon Lindelof in a nutshell, folks.

27. James says:

As for the outrigger question, it was answered in the DVD complete series box set. The answer came in the form of a journal entry from the first mate of the Black Rock. While the scene was cut for time, it really didn’t need to be shown, as it was something that wasn’t at all needed for the story arc.