Ratings: Grey's Ties Low But Tops Relocated Idol, Parks and Reign Dip, Crazy Ones Ticks Up

Parks and Recreation - Season 6Fox’s Thursday shuffle paid off. Facing fiercer competition than it ever did on a Friday, Hell’s Kitchen opened Season 12 with 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.9 rating, matching its year-ago premiere audience while dipping just two tenths in the demo.

American Idol’s later results show led out of that with 8.8 mil and a 2.2, matching its week-ago demo and improving greatly on Rake‘s most recent Thursday numbers (3.3 mil/0.8).

That said, Idol was edged out in the demo in the 9 o’clock hour by Grey’s Anatomy (7.1 mil/2.3), even as the ABC drama dropped three tenths in the demo to tie its series low.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s American Idol Results Recap: Can’t Look at the Stars

Elsewhere….

CBS | Pending any college hoops-related adjustments, Big Bang Theory (17.3 mil/4.9) slipped four tenths, The Millers (11.1 mil/2.6) dropped three tenths, Two and a Half Men (10 mil/2.6) was steady, bubble comedy Crazy Ones (7 mil/1.8) ticked up a tenth and Elementary (9 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth.

RELATED | CBS Renews NCIS, Good Wife, Two and a Half Men, Mom, Five-0 and 12 Others

ABC | Wonderland (3.1 mil/0.8) inched down a tenth to tie its series low. Scandal (8.1 mil/2.7) also ticked down a tenth, to a season low.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Who Got Shot?!

NBC | Community (2.9 mil/1.0) and Parenthood (3.9 mil/1.2) were flat, Parks and Rec (2.7 mil/1.1) dipped two tenths and Hollywood Game Night (3 mil/1.0) ticked down a tenth.

THE CW | Leading out of a Vampire Diaries rerun, Reign (1.65 mil/0.6) lost 100,000 viewers and a tenth in the demo.

1. jasie says:

Parenthood was at the top of it’s game last night. It was a stellar episode. One of the best in the series imo.

2. Is idol getting cancelled

• Julia says:

Probably not this year. It’s still the highest rated show on Fox. If the numbers stay in this range next year I suspect it will be done.

• Emma says:

I love that Grey’s beat Idol but it ain’t getting cancelled anytime soon. They will milk it for all it’s worth and watch it die a slow painful death.

3. spindae2 says:

Ohhh good Reign didn’t drop more, this is the first time it aired without Vd as a lead in. Thankfully it won’t have any breaks till the season final.

• Brandy says:

Actually, it will have one more week off,.Last night was episode 14 and it has 22 episodes with the season finale on May 15.Torrance Coombs tweeted a couple weeks ago that after it returned Feb 27 from hiatus it would air five new episodes ,take a week off, then air the remaining six episodes.

• dude says:

I think this proves the naysayers wrong who say that it only does as well as it does because of TVD. It clearly has a devoted fanbase willing to stick by them whether The Vampire Diaries is on or not.

4. GuessWhat says:

NBC’s #s are horrific. Remember when they were a Thursday powerhouse?

5. sarah says:

Parenthood and Community were both fantastic! Not happy they fell flat.
    I am happy that Crazy Ones did well, CBS please renew this show!
    WOW, Grey’s dropped that much! That is not good, but at least it beat Idol.

6. Lindsey says:

I wasn’t able to watch “Reign” last night because my cable provider decided to show the SEC basketball tournament instead. I hope this kind of thing is taken into considerations when judging ratings!

7. Eric7740 says:

OMG!!! Scandal was AMAZING last night!!! I did not want the hour to end!!!

8. Eric7740 says:

The Crazy Ones will have to put up better numbers than that if they want a renewal, those numbers would be good for a sitcom on any other network, but not CBS. The only way Crazy Ones will get renewed will be if FWBL and Bad Teacher are DOA!!!

9. Boiler says:

Good for Crazy Ones. If you didn’t watch Wonderland I thought it was really good last night. The actors are really growing on me. Hopefully ABC recognizes how they screwed up and keeps it for OUAT hiatus next year

10. Brian says:

Any ideas when providers will re-air CBS shows that were moved to 1:00 am due to basketball (why in the world didn’t they jus wait until after the SEC tournament was over to air new episodes is baffling to me)? My DVR picked them up but everything was thrown off like Craig Kilborn took up almost all of TBBT and then Andy Griffith came on for some reason.

11. crog says:

Wow I didn’t even know hells kitchen was on. I didn’t see any commercials for it or any mention of it on here

12. Ron says:

At this point, I’m not sure how likely Community is to get renewed or cancelled. I know it’s on the bubble right now, and in my mind, it’s probably one of 3 shows (across networks) that I think could legitimately go either way. But, if NBC does cancel Community, can we all rant and riot until we get at least one more season?!?! This season has been very spot on with very few disappointments. I need it in my life just a little bit longer.

13. Coop says:

It is Spring Break in a lot of places around the US, so numbers are generally lower plus it’s light longer so people are outside longer and watching DVRed shows more :)

14. I don’t think Hell’s Kitchen has ever aired on Fridays, at least not since I’ve been watching it (started back during Season 4). Plenty of Ramsay’s other shows have, but Hell’s Kitchen and the normal version of MasterChef never have during their first run.