Once Upon a Time: Wicked Vs. Evil, Yellow Bricks, Hook's Secrets and More Burning Qs Answered

ABC’s Once Upon a Time (airing Sundays at 8/7c) kicked off the back half of Season 3 with some answers — including how quickly Emma will get her memories back, and Regina’s first impression of her soul mate — while conjuring many new questions, most of which are centered around the mysterious curse that returned many to Storybrooke with no memory of their year in the Enchanted Forest.

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time First Look: A Wicked Midwife, the Return of [Spoiler], Sad Regina and More

Between TVLine’s visit with some of the show’s cast in Vancouver and a recent press event with series cocreators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, we rounded up some answers to several burning Qs. (And of course, any other questions you have can be directed to me via InsideLine@tvline.com.)

1. Kaycee says:

Really excited to see some images of Sunny Mabrey as Glinda!

2. Ana says:

Hahaha :)) Laughed so hard at Jennifer’s comments re: Colin not being allowed to wear anything but his Hook outfit. I gotta say though, I belong to the minority that believes that Hook changing clothes must be accompanied by a pivotal change inside of him. He has already been reminded by Emma of who he really is, or what else, except for being a pirate, makes up his true, complete self. He will always be a pirate and i love that about him. However, the moment he finds or arrives at his real home (hint Emma) could be such a pivotal moment… I bet Adam and Eddy have that moment all figured out and it’s gonna be epic.

I am very confused about the message possibly being a trap. Why would Zelena send monkey boy to our world to keep Emma busy if she wanted Hook to fetch her??

• JR1 says:

Agreed!!! I wonder too if it will be a big moment. But then again i would miss the leather on him coz we have been seeing it way too long on him and that long leather coat
      Walsh didnt even like she had the potion so its like why would the message be a trap if Walsh was there to keep an eye on her and be the perfect guy (even though he was somewhat too good, Emma and him still lacked the spark and chemistry) . I do think Hook’s home is Emma, wherever she is, he is lost without her, no wonder he didnt stay in the Enchanted Forest, Even Charming knew that.

3. Lysh says:

I like the red eyes on Walsh. Nice.

4. Alice says:

I suppose if Ichabod Crane can get away with permanently wearing his Revolutionary War -era clothes in Sleepy Hollow, Hook can get away with being permanently pirate.
    Oooh- the two of them need to be in a picture. For….scientific reasons.

5. Michelle says:

Well, that bit about the message pretty much shouts down every theory I’ve had about it. Now I’m REALLY curious!

6. Peach says:

I hate that the writers want Emma and Hook together. He is a woman beater.

• CC says:

I guess that makes them perfect for each other since she’s a man beater…(you know, the guy who’s face she slammed into the steering wheel for no good reason)

• K says:

No good reason except that he’d already attacked her and was a criminal trying to escape. It’s not like he was, oh I dunno, chained to a wall and hoping she’d free him?

• CC says:

He did not attack her. He flipped a table in an attempt to get away from her. All he did in that whole scene was try to run from her. She hit him because he asked her what did she know about family. Makes her just as guilty as Hook for ‘beating’ (and feel how hard my eyes are rolling over that because hitting someone one time is not BEATING). Others guilty of ‘beating’ would include Charming for punching Whale, Snow for punching Regina, Regina for punching Emma, Charming for punching Hook, I’m sure there is plenty more I’m missing here. See where I’m going with this?? Happens a lot on this show, but I’ve never seen any of those other scenarios called ‘beating’…generally it’s considered punching or hitting someone. Also, Belle wasn’t chained up at the time, he had already taken off her cuffs (you know, for clarification and all).

• Joey says:

Calling him a “woman beater” is a bit of stretch, but it’s not a stretch to say that he tried to kill numerous people (other than Rumpel), namely Belle and Emma, as well as several others…

• shandelle says:

When did Hook ‘try to kill Emma’ ??? Leaving her behind isn’t really trying to kill her. Besides Rumple, the only legit thing I recall was him shooting Belle.

• River says:

He had tried to kill Belle before that, in FTL. Only because Regina arrived in time and took away his Hook was Belle even alive when the curse hit.

7. LS1 says:

I also feel they all want Colin in pirate clothes until something pivotal happens, yes he is pirate and yes he has been wearing those sort of clothes for 300 years and over. So i do hope WHEN they want to finally let Hook change his clothes it will be a moment for him and in his life. I really do believe Hook’s home is Emma, its not the place, its the person that makes the home. We got the big subtle hint in the last episode.. Home being the theme. That he goes to find her aka his Jolly Roger (which again has to be taken as a foreshadowed in meaning Emma, coz he does find her) and i think Jolly Roger is connecting into finding Emma and how and why.
    Really liked New york city serenade episode – theme of home for the characters esp Emma. Its not the place its in the person. Emma is now ready for love and making trio out of her and Henry and someone which to me is Hook… the episode clearly set it up even further with Henry outlining Hook’s arc, even though he was talking of Walsh, it indicated to Hook! And that was clear as anything. Hook finds her!!!!

I think Neal enacts a curse that was hinted in the last episode (i mean to even be thinking about it is pretty dangerious terrority) , i feel like he is going to make a bad choice that is not going to end well, and very easy choice to well lets cast a curse and dont care about others, why else would you need to cast a curse.

I do like Regina is so far away from thinking of love coz she is grieving for Henry, but it would be so nice to see that hope is still there for her, that Robin and Roland will ignite some hope in her.

Seems like Snowing baby is special but what about Aurora and Philip’s kid? does she just want a true love baby or something

• Louise says:

There will be no trio involving Emma, Henry and whoever may be Emma’s partner in the future anymore outside of fanfiction because that whole scenario was based on them having fake memories. Now that Emma has her memories back and knows that she’s not the only parental figure for Henry she’ll make sure his biological father and his other mother are going to be a very active part of the kid’s life too. And even if Regina and Robin were to end up together, it doesn’t change the fact that Regina and Henry are mother and son who love each other and want to be part of each other’s life. It’s not like loving Roland would make Regina love Henry any less.

8. Robert says:

I just seen the sneak peek scene for episode 13 and I have to say (spoiler) I am so tired of the town and Emma automatically assuming Regina is behind the new curse; are they seriously saying there are no other beings who have powerful magical abilities? Where is Emma’s. gift to detect lies, when Regina told her she was not responsible for the new curse Emma was suppose to see she is telling the truth.

• Amy says:

yeah but we don’t know that it’s not a rouse to smoke out the real culprit, the press release for the episode says that Emma and Regina work together to uncover what’s going on ..I sometimes wish people would wait and see the episode before passing judgement, but I do get your concern…I do think that the sneak isn’t what it seems though.

Thanks for the teases Matt! I’m looking forward to seeing how everything plays out…

• shandelle says:

Exactly. The sneak peaks and trailers always seem to lead people astray due to being out of context. I’m convinced Emma said all that in an attempt to throw off the actual culprit she suspected was in the crowd. And we might even see that this was pre determined by Emma and Regina anyway. No need to pass judgment just yet.

• Rachel says:

While I agree with you about how tiring it is that the whole town automatically suspects Regina, I honestly think she IS the only one powerful enough to cast a huge curse. The only other one is Rumple, and who knows where he is now. Regina has been the one to do it in the past, so the town knows she’s capable of it.

9. Montie says:

I wonder if Regina or Snow could also be Dorothy?

• Rachel says:

I actually wondered if it could be Regina too! It would make sense as to why the Witch hates her and wants to take everything from her… Plus there was that think in a season 2 flashback where Regina was in the room when Rumple was talking with Jefferson about “magic slippers”… I think it’s a possibility!

10. Rachel says:

Thank you so much for the awesome scoop, Matt! While seven days is nothing compared to three months, I’ve been going crazy looking for stuff on the new episode. I’m so excited to see what happens with Belle and Neal… Those two need more action!

11. Leny says:

Thanks Matt
    Judging by how defensive and big kid like Hook got with Henry commenting on his clothes, dont think we gonna see Hook change soon lol… but i would like to see it and then i would miss his leather pants and coat. But i also do feel maybe it will come a point a change will happen and it will be a moment, and i bet with Emma and Henry.

Hopefully we more of the dynamic of Charmings team back together – Charming/Snow/Emma/Hook and Regina being a team etc

12. Kelly says:

I hope we get to see a lot of Neal and Belle. I’m definitely interested in the Rumplestiltskin family of Belle/Neal/Rumple/Henry and I hope we get a lot of Neal and Henry. I don’t want Henry to have a father but HIS father Neal. No matter who Emma and/or Regina ends up with.

13. Jair says:

By the way about Hook’s clothes … I would know if we will have chance to see him shirtless more than in other clothes!:P

14. Babybop says:

Thank you for asking about his clothes! I’m always wondering why everyone is in street clothes and he’s just over there in his leather outfit. I wish they would give him something new to wear…

• Lily says:

I always assumed, it had something to do with the actual hook. The hook requires an optical allusion, and probably does not fit under regular sleeves.

15. Amber says:

Im confused about the book. Why is there a mystery still about who authored it? I thought we already knew that was August/Pinnochio…

16. Kay. says:

I can’t wait for Belle’s storyline to pick up and for her and Neal to go on their adventure. I know she’ll figure out what happened to Rumple and be a hero!

17. Steve says:

I can’t believe they brought storybrook back already – what a cheat. Really disappointed by the show and thinking about dropping it for good :/

18. Anthony says:

Matt,

Don’t know if you’ve addressed this in another post, but I’m wondering if I imagined seeing Meghan Ory’s name amongst the guest cast credits for the season 3B opener, along with Christopher Gorham, Rebecca Mader, Lee Arenberg and Beverly Elliot. I swear I saw it, but I deleted the episode from my DVR before I thought to go back and check after realizing I hadn’t see Red/Ruby anywhere in the episode.

• abz says:

I think Adam tweeted last month that she’ll be returning.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ruby was in the scene where Aurora and Philip first see the crowd of people back in TEF.

• shandelle says:

I thought I read it was just a stand in for Meghan Ory in that scene but I really hope Ruby comes back in soon. I didn’t really like how her disappearance was never addressed with any explanation.

19. Bae says:

I blame Neal for this new curse…I’m pretty sure he did something lol.

20. Allie says:

Can’t wait for more Killian/Emma scenes. I really want to know how he was able to find her! <3 Also YES Belle is getting more use! :) and More Charming family time will be awesome. I hope Henry gets his memories back sooner rather than later. Poor Regina!

21. janet says:

we need a hashtag #newclothesforhook

22. M says:

First, we only have Hook’s word that a bird gave him a note and the potion. It would not be the first time he teamed up with a witch to get to “our” world to gain his heart’s desire (revenge for Mila’s death before and to see Emma again now). He could have teamed up with someone to restore Emma to his life and be lying about the rest. Second, Neal might have concocted the potion to wake Emma and bring her to Storybrooke, tricking Hook into doing his bidding. We haven’t seen Neal, he could have joined up with Zelena as Rumple worked with Regina to get a curse that would reunite him with his son. Knowing Emma would return if she remembered, Neal sent the potion for her, not figuring that Henry would be angry with the man who betrayed his mom since he wasn’t angry the first time. Neal doesn’t do magic, you are probably saying. He used Rumple’s staff once and they have shown that Snow picked up some tricks simply by watching Cora (the ink trick in season 2), so Neal could have studied up and used what he watched his dad do and voila!

23. M says:

Forgot to say that Hook is probably in the pirate clothing because he looks awesome in them. Would different pirate outfits be nice? Some variations of style or color on leather coats? Yes, but putting him in normal clothing would dim the sex appeal and they have to know that.

24. Iman says:

Well we haven’t seen Neal so does that mean he’s dead because it says everyone who is not dead is in Storybrooke.

25. I wasn’t shocked to see Rumple was back. There were “spoilers” about his return. But, in my opinion, Rumple’s two minutes in each episode is not my idea of “coming back”. We still haven’t seen him in the storyline or heard him say one whole paragraph. Now I’m wondering if Rumple is ever really going to be a big part of the series. If not, then I will not be watching the show. Robert Carlye IS why the show did so well in the past. Without him, and with these stupid, pointless episodes we’ve seen in March, the show is getting pretty boring. Also, are Aurora and Prince Phillip really living in that gazebo? Where do they sleep? I keep watching and hoping something will happen (besides doplegangers). What a waste of time that episode was! Come on, writers, give us a story.

26. Danna says:

we really want Emma and Hook together

27. Good site you have got here.. It’s hadd to find quality writing lik yours nowadays.
    I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!