Game of Thrones Likely Ending After Season 7

Game Of Thrones EndingThe end is nigh…ish.

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have confirmed their long-rumored plans to end the HBO drama after Season 7.

RELATED | New Game of Thrones Trailer: ‘The World Has Fallen Apart’ – But the Dragon Is Still Rad

“It feels like this is the midpoint for us,” Benioff tells Entertainment Weekly of Season 4, which premieres April 6 at 9/8c. “If we’re going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point. … Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us.”

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo tells EW that seven seasons sounds good to the network, though eight would sound even better.

As for the possibility that Thrones will reach its end before George R.R. Martin has a chance to complete the novels upon which the series is based — the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, is still being written — Benioff and Weiss have a back-up plan.

RELATED | Game of Thrones Season 4 Posters: Arya’s Out For Blood, Tyrion’s In Trouble and More

In the April 2014 issue of Vanity Fair, Benioff reveals that he and Weiss met with Martin last year to find out how he plans to end his series.

“If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it,” Benioff tells the magazine. “And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character.”

Martin, meanwhile, is doing everything in his power to avoid having to resort to Plan B.

“I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet,” the scribe tells Vanity Fair. “I’m hopeful that I can not let them catch up with me.”

How do you feel about Game of Thrones ending after Season 7? And for those of you bookworms, which major scenes are you most looking forward to seeing?

1. Norma says:

The scene I’m looking forward to seeing happens in Episode 2.

2. Bobklause says:

7’s a good number. Though, I thought (and still think) it could go longer. Given his pace of 1 book every 5 years…unlikely Martin will stay ahead of the show.

3. Steven says:

I don’t know HOW Martin thinks he will remain ahead of the show. Is he really that deluded?

• Pinky says:

You should read the article in VF. He’s not deluded at all.

• Rook says:

Seeing how it took him 5 years for the 4th and 5th book to be released, if he follows that plan the 6th book could be released next year and the 7th would have to be completed In like 2 years for the show to be able to write scripts off of it. It just doesn’t seem possible.

• silverr says:

But writing isn’t like … knitting, or driving on cruise control ( or whatever ‘steady rate” activity you want to use.). If you know where you want to end, the middle is often a slog. You’re impatient to get to the end, but rushing through the middle without getting everything into position can make the end feel arbitrary rather than inexorable. ~ So it’s entirely possible that once 6 is done, 7 WILL come along much faster.

4. CK says:

I kind of hate this. Hopefully, Martin finishes before them, but I feel like even though they know how it will end, we will be subjected to some bastardized TV ending if it isn’t written in stone by the books yet. I mean it seems like some pretty popular characters are going to have to die in the end, especially with multiple claimants to the throne w/ armies backing them. And I don’t know if Hbo would be willing to kill them off if it hasn’t been set in stone. If anything, I hope that HBO is smart and ends it right where the material cuts off. That way they have the option of a film or two to resolve the series if it is not done by then.

• CK says:

Edit: Then again, they are on season 4 while being midway through the third book. It seems like something needs to get gutted majorly for this to work out. Idk if they are foolish enough to solve all the ills of Westeros in 3 more seasons. I hope they follow a tactic used by many japanese manga adaptions, which is just not finishing. They can probably find a point that serves as a triumphant end for the series that’s not the end of the books.

• Joey says:

They’re not following the one book per season thing so many people thought they would do back in season one. They’re going to adapt whatever they can as the go along. So, for example, things that may not happen until book five could happen this season or next season because they can be shown as going on around the same time as the whatever else is going on. Its why we saw Theon last year even though in the books he was gone for awhile.

• Faster says:

Agree. As infuriating as it is for Martin to take his sweet time writing the sixth book (and beyond), I trust him to do it right. Now I feel like he’s going to feel this added pressure to make sure this scenario doesn’t happen. I hope this doesn’t affect the story.

5. BabyFirefly says:

They split one book into 2 seasons, so what are they planning on cutting/combining?

• Probably Feast for Crows & Dance With Dragons, since those two take place simultaneously anyway.

• Ryan says:

Hasn’t this also been kinda-sorta-confirmed now that Daenerys’s storyline from Dance with Dragons is being used in season 5? Granted, I haven’t been able to make it past book 2 so I’m just taking the word of comments on the articles about recent series regular promotions.

• Joey says:

They’re going to have to since Daenerys has no storyline in AFFC. Can’t just say, “Oh, Emilia, we’re only doing AFFC this season, and since Daenerys isn’t in that, we won’t need you until season six…”

Also why Theon was used in S3. After Winterfell got taken by Ramsay’s forces at the end of the second book, Theon doesn’t show up again until book five, and by then…well…

• zacqua10 says:

Season three was actually more like 3/4 of the third book. I believe it’s been confirmed they are taking stories from the fourth and fifth book. In fact, most of Bran’s story in season three was his whole story in the third book.

6. Bob Johnson says:

What does HBO have to say about this announcement? Are they fully supportive of seven seasons? I’m sure they are, but they’ve yanked popular shows in the past.

• Will says:

HBO actually hinted in the Vanity Fair article that they’d prefer 8. So I highly doubt early cancelation is a huge worry.

7. Quinn Mallory says:

It’s all just speculations at this point, in case it isn’t clear from the article.

8. Ryan says:

Part of me wishes the show had a different ending than the books. I mean, I feel like the general consensus is that it has to be Daenerys and/or Jon Snow on the throne and that’s certainly what the show is pushing (and I’m a-okay with that). But there’s literally no way the seventh book will be published in the next four years given that the sixth still isn’t finished. So the series is going to “spoil” the books (that’s quite the twist, isn’t it?). Why not diverge and let the showrunners choose their own ending instead of sticking to Martin’s material (which seems to be generally considered as getting progressively worse with each book)?

• The writers of the show pitched it to HBO by pitching their theory of behind Jon Snow’s birth. It was their big selling point, so I don’t think it is necessarily a big spoiler since the majority of the books fans have put their weight behind a particular a theory regarding Jon. To be honest I don’t think Daenerys and/or Jon Snow on the throne is a twist. I will be surprised if something OTHER than that ending occurs.

• gdv says:

I just discovered this Jon Snow theory the other day. (I know, I’m behind the times.) WOW! Now I will be disappointed if that theory doesn’t pan out. It makes a TON of sense in the overall narrative (so far).

• Joey says:

I still find it a bit incredulous that there are some book fans who think this isn’t a possibility for Jon. If it isn’t true, then it’s one of the biggest red herrings of all time.

• Lyndsey says:

Surely there aren’t people who don’t believe that’s even a possibility for Jon?! That was my first thought as soon as I got into the books (which wasn’t until the show came out). Agree that it would be the biggest red herring I’ve seen in modern literature.

9. Mike R. says:

I’m still putting my money on 8, I fully expect( hopefully) winds of Winter to be out by the beginning of season 6, and I could see them getting a season and a half out of it, than a season and half to finish the story, and the show is a big enough of a hit, that if HBO can get eight seasons, I think they will do everything in their power to get eight seasons.

10. gdv says:

Has it been confirmed how many books will make up the series? 7, 8? (Sorry if this is already well-known, but I haven’t heard the exact count myself.) I guess they can always take a longer hiatus to give GRRM a little more time.

• Martin has said 7 books.

• Malkatraz says:

Martin has said 7 books, but then he thought it’d all be done in 3 to start with. Given his increasing tendency to ramble, and the amount of loose threads to be tied up, I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t run to 10 books. There’s no way he’s finishing before the TV show is scheduled to, unless they take a break for a season or two, or work on a couple of prequel seasons (Dunk & Egg, anyone?) for a while.

11. John says:

I believe it’s been mentioned that this season will get into material from books 4 and 5, which is evidenced in some of the trailer footage (particularly Daenerys and the size of the dragon). Three more seasons should be about right, given that a LOT of the 4th and 5th books are people wandering the countryside not really doing much of value to the overarching plot. And anyone who thinks the show isn’t going to catch up to Martin is living in a dream world.

12. trainwreck says:

i think seven seasons … and .. wait for it .. A MOVIE! the movie can be one action packed block buster! a banging ending for the series.

13. arianeb says:

Books and TV are both very different story telling mediums. I’d be perfectly happy with a “Plan B”. TV producers finish season 6 at the end of book 6, book 7 no where in sight but they know how it should end, TV writers will come up with a TV friendly season sure to wow all Game of Throne fans. Two to four years later Martin releases his version of the final book, while the ending is similar, the way he gets there is very novel friendly and satisfying to the readers. The debate between the two endings will be epic and go on for years.

14. Guest says:

Jaime and Brienne. I don’t care how the whole thing ends as long as Jaime and Brienne are still together

15. Fernanda says:

please, Game of Thrones will be the next big HBO crossover from TV to the cinemas. And when does the next book arrive?
    By the way, waiting for the original writer ends the whole story not always is a good idea, HELLO CHARLAINE HARRIS. True Blood fans will want for a decent finale better than the horrible ending from the books.
    My dreamy HBO ending is this, Daenerys Targaryen will rule the seven kingdoms and the Stark Family will get their revenge.

16. Scott says:

Other versions of this interview say “after series 7 OR 8″, so its nothing like as definitive a 7 as this report makes out.

17. Ella says:

If Martin doesn’t want the show to catch up to him, he better crack on with all that writing!

18. Mikael says:

I’m sure the next book will be out before they catch up to it, but I highly doubt the 7th will.

19. Bailey Garmson says:

Please do not make a movie sorry but that is a terrible idea all I want is Dany on that throne with Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion

20. Rob says:

The scene I would love to see is the one where John Snow is finally told his true heritage. There is one person still alive In the story who knows (if the theory is correct). I’ve been waiting it seems like forever (18 years but who’s counting). Seriously.

21. Wanda says:

Nooooooooooooo this show needs to stay longer!

22. mstxfynest says:

If they end this series before the books are finished being written,it would be such a disappointment.