Big Bang Theory Renewed for 3 More Seasons

Big Bang Theory Renewed Three SeasonsCBS has renewed The Big Bang Theory — aka TV’s most watched, highest rated comedy — for not one, not two, but three more seasons, it was announced on Wednesday.

As such, Sheldon, Leonard, Penny et al will be sticking around through the 2016-17 TV season aka Big Bang‘s Season 10.

“Comedy is a big part of our schedule, and The Big Bang Theory is the biggest comedy force on television,” CBS Entertainment chair Nina Tassler said in a statement. “This multi-year deal further strengthens our network’s position for future seasons and marks another chapter in the great partnership CBS enjoys with Warner Bros. Television for delivering audiences the best in comedy. We’re proud to work with and showcase the incredible talents of Chuck Lorre, Steve Molaro and this amazing cast every week.”

RELATED | Big Bang Theory, Elementary to Dodge Thursday Football By Starting the Fall on a New Night

Season 7 to date, Big Bang is averaging 19.8 million weekly viewers and a 6.1 demo rating, with Live+7 DVR playback factored in. As previously reported, Season 8 likely will kick off (temporarily) on a new night, due to CBS’ new Thursday Night Football commitment.

1. GuessWhat says:

BAZINGA!

2. Carm says:

Awesome!

3. e says:

are all of their contracts already secured through that time?

• e says:

i ask because it would be pretty jarring if, around season 8, jim parsons decides he wants to focus on the theater and leaves the show… there is no BBT without sheldon, so these long-term renewals always make me nervous when the prospect of cast members leaving is possible.

• DJ Doena says:

Yes. Sadly you’re right. It has become “The Sheldon Show” just like “Family Matters” turned into “The Steve Urkel Show” at some point.

And that’s not a good thing!

• Nope, the main three have their contracts expire at the end of this season

• Jennifer says:

You would think that if they are renewing the show for three years, they’ve locked in the main characters. It’s not a show without them.

• david says:

I agree. I read in another article that they were focused on getting the show renewed first then they would focus on cast negotiations. The cast members are probably looking at Friends money now too. Wouldn’t be surprised if they got in the million dollar per episode range. They are also negotiating for Lorre’s other shows including a 13 episode final season for Two and a Half Men.

• e says:

i had that thought as well… they have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity right now… there are talented actors on the show, but the chances of them getting another moneymaker like this is slim… i bring up parson’s because he has demonstrated he is interested in serious acting (the normal heart), and i don’t know how fulfilled he would be from playing the same character this long. i see kaley cuoco and galecki staying on through the end, banking the money, and laughing their way to the bank while taking bit parts for the rest of their careers. not a bad deal to have if you ask me!

• David4 says:

I guess people here don’t understand how Hollywood works. You can not do contract extensions without the show being renewed.

• Kurt says:

They could do it in tandem? I don’t think, if I was CBS, I’d want to make promises I may not be able to keep and Chuck Lorre would certainly need to know how much they are going to cost before he could enter into any agreement.

• David4 says:

I remember when House was trying to to figure out if it had one season left in it or not and non of the actors could even talk about talking about coming back until it was renewed.

It’s a union thing.

4. Esaul says:

First – I need to watch this show. It’s been on my to do list. Just need time. Second – Surprised that it got three more seasons. Definitely deserves it though.

• Meg says:

I found the winter hiatus really helpful in catching up on shows. And with the rate it’s played on TBS it will probably cycle back to the pilot soon. Although I must have always missed the pilot because I watched the season 1 DVD on Netflix and it opened with Leonard and Sheldon at a sperm bank, which I had never seen.

• Pat says:

That’s because they cut about 3 minutes from the original episodes. We have it on DVD and the pilot DOES start with them in a sperm bank.

• Alice says:

I think the last time they renewed it, it was also for 3 seasons. And that paid off for the network in both ratings and Emmy nominations. Sounds like it was a no-brainer.

5. xomareen says:

Well deserved because of their ratings and viewership, but damn, there are shows which deserve it more quality wise. In my opinion at least, but great for the cast and crew nonetheless!

6. CBWBDK1 says:

They should have ended it. It’s not funny anymore.

7. Liz says:

I’m not so sure about this. I know it’s a ratings juggernaut, but the show itself is starting to feel tired. I haven’t laughed much at all this season. It’s possible it’s a case of over saturation, but I just can’t help but feel they’re in a creative decline.

• Nicole says:

Really? I have enjoyed this season a lot! I think the scavenger episode was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on Big Bang. :-)

• Jerry says:

I thought it became really funny at around Season 5 or 6. And the fall episodes of Season 7 include some of the best laughs I have, but it just seemed that from 2014 onwards their episodes are just not that funny anymore. The writers have to get it together, not just Sheldon taking another shot at everyone, Penny’s failed career jokes, Raj being crazy and scaring away girls, Leonard being there.

• Andrea says:

I enjoy the show and don’t consider it to be tired, but I share your concern. My issue is the length of the renewal. I could see renewing the series for two seasons. Three seems like a very long time. Anything could happen, both good and bad.

• Mike says:

Then stop watching and let others enjoy.

• Whimsical says:

Agreed. The college lifestyle of the boys, Penny with no ambition that is realistic and her rudeness/poor treatment and attitude towards Leonard are making it unwatchable. At the point now that if is deletes from my DVR before I watch, I don’t care.

• veronica says:

I agree. I have loved this show for years, but this season the laughs are very scarce. Still, I’m a loyal viewer and hope for improvement.

8. Patrick says:

Smart business decision. CBS is losing HIMYM in a few weeks, and they haven’t had a new hit in a few years. 2 Broke Girls is OK, but it may not be a monster or a lead off the night type of show. Millers is OK, but it may not be as successful without TBBT ahead of it. 2.5 Men still gets solid numbers, but the cast is ruinously expensive. Nearly 2 million per ep. for the main stars.

This long term move solidifies a key component in their lineup for a few years while they try to find new hits.

Plus, this cast seems to be getting smart. The three main stars know this is as good as they will ever get, and the supporting characters know they are the second fiddles and that this is as good as they will ever get. Everyone seems content to count their money. Very smart, all around.

9. Nicki Dreyer says:

I’m happy because I’ve been watching BBT since S1. But I’m worried about the quality. Yes I know some people don’t like the show and prefer others, but this is probably one of the only shows where I don’t fast-forward through parts or walk out of the room because something is grating on my nerves. I even put my phone/kindle/tablet away during new episodes. My mom just started watching it this summer and loves it [even though she thinks it's really stupid - apparently that's a good thing :) ]
    The show has definitely changed over the years and I’m that knowing they’re guaranteed for 3 more seasons doesn’t affect the quality. Look how fast/often Glee got renewed and how the quality [in my opinion] has changed – I haven’t watch it since Xmas Season 2.
    Good luck BBT.

• TV Gord says:

I have to agree. Two shows immediately come to mind for me: Roseanne and The Drew Carey Show. When both shows were renewed for two more seasons, the quality took a nosedive and the final seasons were just awful. I want to believe that won’t happen to The Big Bang Theory, but I didn’t think it would happen to those other two, either.

• I am honestly not convinced there is 3 seasons left of material for this show. Leonard cant move out because of ‘insert X reason of the week’, Sheldon wont let Leonard move out for Y reason. Its almost like they dont want thinks to change , but struggle to write stories for what they have now.

• waffles says:

The Drew Carey Show was brilliant in its final season. Once they knew they weren’t coming back they took some very bold and funny creative choices, none of which I can remember now. I worry about how they can maintain the quality on the BBT but I am happy they have at least three more seasons.

• TV Gord says:

Brilliant? That’s not the final season I remember. The very noticeable absences of Kate and Mr. Wick and Drew’s brother Steve left huge voids in the show that couldn’t be filled by Drew’s sudden pregnant fiance or Mimi’s boyfriend of the week. You could tell the writers were struggling to figure out what to do with Lewis and Oswald, too, who went from one pointless and increasingly wacky subplot after another. It felt so much to me that they were just trying to churn out those final scripts to fulfill their contractual obligations that it was painful to watch and was a relief when it finally ended. The Drew Carey Show certainly had its moments of brilliance throughout its run, but those final seasons were dreadful!

10. James D says:

although i think this show has deminished in quality over the past couple of seasons i still enjoy it a great deal so good for them.

11. Dan says:

I wanted it to end last year with a flash forward to Sheldon and Amy talking to two little kids in glasses and saying, “…and that’s how I met your mother.”

12. Joanne says:

I didn’t initially watch this show, but now I watch reruns of reruns! I do hope the Penny can get a job acting though before the series ends!

• Whimsical says:

I hope Penny has to pack up and move home, she grates on my nerves, she’s always treated Leonard like garbage (unless she needs something).

13. Jennifer says:

So Happy!! This is the one show that my whole family (parents, siblings, in laws) can watch and laugh. It hits home since I have a brainiac in the fam who relates. Big Time!

• KM says:

I totally agree. It is a show that I can watch with my 3 year old in the room without having to expalin something too adult to her!

14. lk says:

This show is terrible. I still can’t believe people watch this garbage.

• Sam says:

Another said hipster Community fanboy.

• Angela says:

Hey, I like “Community” and yet I like this show.

• Sam says:

To be fair there are a lot of good ones out there but a lot of bitter ones who like to bash on other shows cause Community doesn’t do well in ratings.

• Angela says:

This is true. Which I think is ridiculous. There’s lots of reasons “Community” has struggled over the years ratings-wise-most of the blame can be laid at NBC’s feet, I think. But those fans also need to realize that despite the ratings struggles, the show is now in its fifth season. So the competition isn’t hurting them THAT much, apparently.
            Besides that, even if it was, it’s not like the show is part of some evil conspiracy to bring “Community” down, so to attack them is lame. I want my favorite shows to do well, obviously, but if they don’t, well…*Shrugs*. Sucks, but that’s how life is sometimes.

• Brian says:

I love “Community” and “The Big Bang Theory”. And I’m definitely not a hipster…

15. Gail says:

Does the Big Bang Theory run shorter than other sit coms? I noticed on the DVDs that shows run about 20 minutes instead of 22 minutes. Is this the new normal for 30 minute shows to have 10 minutes of commercials?

16. Mr. Sunshine says:

I still don’t understand why people feel the need to degrade something on a blog. If you don’t like it, why do you find it necessary to spout your negative views!!

17. Babybop says:

Yay!! This is one of the few shows that still makes me laugh.

18. Mr. Sunshine says:

Oh well, it’s still one of the best comedies if not the best on TV now!

19. Tran 2.0 says:

What are the chances TBBT will end in 2017 and what does this mean if the sitcom moves to Mondays next season depending on CBS’ telecast of Thursday Night Football?

20. Et al says:

To celebrate, the writers are going to write some new jokes. That’s something they haven’t done in 3 years!

21. Apres Ski says:

All they need in their contracts is wiggle room to do movies/plays/indie stuff on the side. Otherwise, I think the whole cast will stay on until 2017!

22. Andrew Hass says:

That’s great for The Big Bang Theory.For now at least the show knows it’s safe.Even though it’s been renewed for 3 more years the show could always end sooner for some reason.However i do think if it reaches 10 seasons they might end the show then.

23. Dick Whitman says:

I love this show. However, I feel they need to get back to more “nerd/geek”- type stuff again. I know people and shows have to evolve, but it seems they spend too much on relationships and more specifically Raj ALWAYS being rejected by somebody he finds to be attractive. I tend to watch a lot of their re-runs on TBS these days, but will continue to watch the newest ones as well. Congrats to the cast on another 3 seasons!

• Sam says:

I think even split between relationship and geek stuff.

• abz says:

I agree. More of a balance would be really nice. I know after seven seasons it might seem silly to want to see grown men play paintball or other nerdy stuff they did every now and then given that a lot has changed, but it’d be nice if they start getting back to the show’s roots once in a while with all they nerdiness.

24. John NYC says:

Welcome, VERY good news. This is the only show where I’ve got a season pass to the Thursday one (new and repeats) as well as “ALL” reruns everywhere. Oh I’ll cull the occasional dud as it comes along but for a quick relaxing twenty minutes it’s reliable and entertaining.

Sweet show, great cast. And for the future? I was skeptical of the addition of the additional women and they’ve turned out to be awesome! So for me TPTB have established their credibility and, apparently, also to CBS’s decision makers.

25. Anna says:

I wish that I could find it in me to love Amy, but I can’t. I just can’t. So I am not as happy about this renewal as I should be… Still, three years! Does this mean we are gonna get a Howard/Bernadette baby after all? I’d love that!

26. Mike says:

Here is a radical idea, if you don’t like the show don’t watch. No one is forcing you.

27. herman1959 says:

WHAT! Now I know we’ll have see at least one baby born.

28. Pat says:

I really enjoy watching this show. Now with that said, I know right now in this moment in time, that this is by far the #one comedy hit for CBS but, anything can happen and to lock this in for a 3 year renewal may have just put a curse on this show. I am not sure why CBS would have come out with this long term renewal so quickly. So with that said, Good Luck goes out to the writers of this show and I hope by season two of this renewal that storylines can be fresh and not stagnant which sometimes happens to comedies when they are on to long.

29. Jamie says:

This show is bad, 3 seasons ?-glad I don’t watch

• Jennifer says:

Ummm … just a personal observation … if you don’t watch the show and are not interested in the outcome, besdies just being annoying, why are you commenting here? Just curious …

• Angela says:

People enjoy doing that all the time for reasons I will never understand. They seem to think their not caring is that important that they need to share it with others.

• Temperance says:

Since it’s easily the funniest show on TV, I’d suggest a funny bone repair.

• Max Ames says:

Then, seriously, why the hell are you even commenting? A great show and am glad it’s continuing on. Plus, am glad I’ve watched since day 1

30. Lauren says:

I enjoyed the first two seasons but it quickly got old. I think I lasted around season five before I stopped watching. Congrats to the cast and crew though, and good news for the many people still watching.

31. jinx says:

I loved the first 3 seasons of the show and once they began the relationships it became boring for me. I think they should have kept the same premise as the first 3 seasons. These are brilliant scientists and they all live in a broken apt building with no elevator, I am sure they could afford better lodging. I watch it off and on, thinking it could be getting better, but I find myself laughing much less. I am happy for the cast members and their 3-year contract but hope it doesn’t put a hex on them.

32. David4 says:

I hope the return Amy to female Shelden and not what she has been the last couple seasons.

33. Justin says:

Awesome news!!! Love this show!!!

34. heyitsmejosh says:

hey look another 3 years of making fun of geek culture.. good to see

35. Liz says:

why would you care about the renewal of a show you don’t like??? hmmm well it’s pretty obvious (although if you think this show is funny then maybe it isn’t obvious to you), this crap is filling a time slot for the next 3 years. That means that something better won’t be able to get picked up…

• Liz says:

also that the key actors who are reasonably talented will be locked in to their parts on this show and also not able to move on to something better.

• Mike says:

what does CBS have that is better?

• Liz says:

honestly nothing yet, I really dislike most of CBS comedies. However there could be a better pilot that could be picked up were BBT to be cancelled.

• Community fans are probably also annoyed since direct competition and all…

• Liz says:

not a community fan. so there’s that.

• Max Ames says:

So, simply sour grapes, party of one? Makes sense…smh

• Liz says:

It’s more like this, If it were renewed for just one season whatever but a three season pick up? Really, I mean even if you are a fan of the show does it really deserve 3 more seasons? Can they possibly continue to hold the same standard they are meeting without having to worry about being cancelled. There is something about that just rubs me the wrong way. I dislike when mediocre (at best) shows get multiple season pick ups because if it went on for say another season and was cancelled something in the next pilot season that could be even better would have a shot. BBT will be filling a time-slot for the next three years and that’s just meh. Look what happened to Glee, as an example of how fast a show can spiral down hill with a multi-season pick up. Even before Cory died the show was garbage.

36. missteff says:

congrats! Funny show.

37. Sam says:

Haters gonna hate

38. Gerald says:

Meh… I still enjoy the show but I have to admit that the show has long been in a creative decline.

39. Now if only the writers can stop going through the motions… The last couple of season we’ve had a few really great episodes but also had some really awful ones. Be nice to have a better balance again.

40. Jane says:

This show is amazing. I would much rather watch repeats of Big Bang than anything else on Australian TV. Keep up the story lines. So funny.

41. JB says:

What’s great is that the characters actually develop over time, just like real life.
    That’s unlike many other shows…like Two and a Half men…to name one.

42. AdamJ says:

Penny better get here boobs out soon or im done with this show…they aint getting any perkier.

43. PJR says:

This May Signal That Mom , Mike and Molly, And Or Two And A Half Men May Be Canceled. Chuck Lore Keeps A Show On The Air While Big Bang Theory Pumps Life Into Either Millers Or Crazy Ones. Besides Lore Will Have 3 More Years To Produce A New Hit. I’d Be Worried About His Aforementioned 3 Sitcoms.

44. Spencer says:

Great, shows like this get renewed for 3 seasons, whereas quality comedy like Parks and Rec and Community struggle to finish a complete season. And that’s nothing against BBT, I thoroughly enjoy it occassionally, but it upsets me how a show with such little character development and overused jokes has a better reputation than shows with actual humor and heart.

• Sam says:

Parks already got picked up for a 7th season, hard to say its struggling. I am a big Parks fan, is right below BBT for me. Not a fan of Community though. Doesn’t have a better rep, critics love those shows more. It has more viewers because it is a mainstream comedy and a a niche show.

45. Bella says:

Fantastic news. I never thought I’d love this show but I do, was hooked from the first episode.

46. TV Gord says:

The syndication phenomenon has come to The Big Bang Theory. Once a show hits syndication, people watch the old shows and there’s so much affection for them, the new episodes don’t “seem” to measure up, even though they’re just as good. The same thing happened to other shows (The Simpsons springs to mind).

It’s like looking at an old high school yearbook. They make us remember those years with much more nostalgia and fondness. I would wager that in another few years, people will be looking back on this season’s shows with the same affection that they have for the early years.

47. Brian says:

Can only hope they shake things up a bit then, as this season has been more miss than hit so far.

I agree with the previous poster referencing the scavenger hunt as an example – they need to switch up the pairings more for a start.

Also, the creepy/pathetic stuff with Raj is more tired than the Red John arc ever was – please do something different with his character!

And for the love of Mike, let Howard loose with impressions – the guy is ridiculously good at them!

48. Marc says:

I was surprised when I heard they are gonna making three more seasons. But I’m glad, too. I’m really sad because my alltime favourite HIMYM will end in three weeks, but to see three more seasons BBT will hopefully make me forget about that. When they keep the niveau of greatness they have currently in each episode, three seasons is a good choice. Not too few episodes and not too many episodes. In my opinion, ten seasons are the absolute maximum for a comedy show, after that, it just cant keep it’s amazingness. Just look at Two and a half men or the simpsons. And of course Scrubs and Himym, too, the last seasons weren’t as great as the earlier ones, but still pretty good. I still love the ninth season of HIMYM, it was a good decision to make it, it was a good decision to end it after this season, and it was a bad decision to make a silly spin-off. But yay for three more season BBT!!!