TVLine Items: Tom Bergeron to Exit AFHV, Sarah Connor Vs. Syfy's Tentacles, Good Guest & More

tom-bergeron-afvNo need to write “Attn: Tom Bergeron” the next time you submit a “wiffle-ball-bat-meets-crotch” or “alpha-cat-slaps-eager-dog” video to the good folks at ABC.

Next season of America’s Funniest Home Videos – the show’s 25th — will be the host’s last.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s (Still) on the Bubble?

“I’m embracing change this month,” said Bergeron, in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “DWTS will sure have plenty of it. And I’ve decided that, after 15 wonderful seasons as host of AFV, next year, the show’s 25th anniversary(!!), will be my last. As Doctor Who fans know, every so often a regeneration is a good thing.”

Bergeron tweeted the news, writing that he will wrap his penultimate season on the show later this month.

Read for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

Linda Hamilton (Chuck, The Terminator) will star in Syfy’s original movie Bermuda Tentacles, airing April 12 at 9/8c. She will play an Admiral of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier battling an ancient monster.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

• Laura Benanti is The Good Wife‘s latest…victim? The Go On actress will guest-star on the CBS series as the new fiancée of wife-killer Colin Sweeney (played by Dylan Baker), reports TVGuide.com.

• CBS’ summer series Extant has tapped Louis Gossett Jr. (Roots) to play dad to Halle Berry’s character, reports TVGuide.com. The show, about an astronaut (Berry) trying to reconnect with her family after a year in outer space, premieres Wednesday, July 9 at 9 pm.

About a Boy has snagged Tony Hale (Veep, Arrested Development) to portray Fiona’s ex and Marcus’ father, EW.com reports.

All My Children and One Life to Live continue to be plagued by drama. Prospect Park Networks, the production company behind the briefly revived ABC soaps, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, per TheWrap.

• Ben Daniels (House of Cards, Law & Order: UK) has been cast in Starz’ original ballet drama Flesh and Bone as the volatile and brilliant artistic director Paul Grayson.

1. Amanda says:

AFV is still on??!

• N tTVf says:

That was my thought exactly. My mom [not in any demo] still loves AFV, and she watches both the ABC Sun/7pm show as well as the Ch33/WGN repeats daily/nightly, etc. She loves the children on the videos, and the men/fathers being humiliated in any number of ways by the children, pet dogs, tractors, trampoline accidents, pool/diving board accidents and so forth… the normal, standard AFV stuff. A laugh riot if you love children and love seeing their father’s be humiliated.

I just assumed that ABC was running additional repeats in the 7pm Sunday slot, but apparently I was wrong.

And people wonder why broadcast television in struggling to survive: AFV is still on.

2. Dav says:

Oh Linda Hamilton…what happened to you?

3. Babybop says:

Wow, I can’t believe AFV is still on… I remember begging my parents to let me stay up late so I could watch it when it was hosted by John Fugelsang (or something) and Daisy Fuentes…

4. abz says:

So happy they’re bringing Dylan Baker back to The Good Wife!!

5. Tran 2.0 says:

Hate to wonder if AFV is going to move on without Bergeron depending on his hosting duties at DWTS.

6. SouthernBelle says:

We watch AFV every Sunday night with the kids after church. It’s a little tradition we’ve had for years, to kind of come together as a family one more time before beginning the new week (there’s no way to explain that without sounding cheesy, sorry.) There’s not much on TV anymore that is appropriate enough to watch with young children and still entertain the adults . I HATE that Tom Bergeron is leaving. He has been the only good host AFV has ever had. All the other hosts ruined the show for me, and I can’t imagine anyone who replaces him will be any better. Bummer!

7. Ron says:

I pride myself on my (pointless) TV knowledge. However, I had no idea AFV was still on. This is actually shocking news to me.

Also, I’ve seen a couple minutes of ‘About a Boy,’ and I wasn’t sure if I should actually watch it or not. But, count me in for anything with Tony Hale. Even if I don’t start watching the show regularly, I’ll definitely be checking out Tony’s episode.

8. David4 says:

It’s on Sundays at 7pm Eastern, the perfect time.