CBS Summer Schedule Scoop: Big Brother Bows Early (Again), Extant Debut Shifts and More

Big Brother 16CBS has released its Summer 2014 game plan, and it includes another early start for Big Brother and a slightly delayed debut for the Halle Berry event series Extant.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s (Still) on the Bubble?

For the second straight summer, the Julie Chen-hosted “social experiment” will launch in June — specifically, Wednesday, June 25 at 8/7c. The Thursday edition, featuring the live eviction show, bows June 26 at 9/8c, and the Sunday broadcast premieres June 29 at 8/7c (leading into new legal drama Reckless at 9/8c and the third season of Unforgettable at 10/9c.)

Summer event series Extant, meanwhile, will debut a week later on Wednesday, July 9 at 9/8c (vs. July 2). And, as previously reported, Under the Dome will return with its second season on Monday, June 30 at 10/9c.

1. Elyse says:

Can’t wait for Under the Dome to come back!! :D

• Zack Quinti says:

That Julie Chen is HOT!

• shazay says:

CLEARLY BB Canada has a bigger budget than CBS when it comes to the BB house. The house they’re in this year is AMAZING. BBUSA always has lighting that looks like a CBS sitcom in front of a live studio audience. Ugh, but that BB Canada house, is really raising the bar, so cool.

• James says:

They haven’t change the house much since adding the second story in Season 6 and it’s been in the same studio since Season 1. The only thing that needs a refresh inside the BB house is for the show to finally install HD cameras. They’re getting way way behind and it showed last year.

2. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I just pray this season of Big Brother doesn’t suck as hard as the last one. I always said nothing could trump the nastiness of BB9, but BB15 managed to do it. Please have a better cast!

• Geo says:

I’d hope BB would be better this summer, too, but considering the track record of CBS and BB’s producers, they’re probably combing Neo-Nazi rallies and Ku Klux Klan meetings for new houseguests as we speak.

• shazay says:

I would totally believe that would be the twist this summer. Each year I’m more and more disappointed with the crop of wannabe actor plastics they choose, along with the one or two weirdo/uglies they throw in. I guess average people wouldn’t be as fun and interesting.

• jasie says:

I really liked last season’s BB. I found it very entertaining. I know I’m one of the few but I liked it.

• Christian says:

U wouldn’t happen to also like attending KKK rallies, do you? I think your mom is washing your white hoodie as we speak!

3. jp2 says:

Hey Matt – time to begin that summer calendar ;)

4. Cathy Joyce says:

Always enjoyed Big Brother! Hoping for better cast, but will enjoy watching it again in June with Julie.

5. Barry says:

What do we have to do to get CBS to film Big Brother in wide screen format? I understand they might balk at HD because of how much they stream, but they could do 480P (or I) and not increase bandwidth demand by those streaming the cams online.

Come on CBS, this is the only show on a major network not in wide screen!!!!

6. didi says:

I am a bb addict, but didn’t enjoy the longer season last summer. It was JUST. TOO. LONG.

• James says:

Rite of passage for every Big Brother overseas to have a season last as long as 100 days. BBAU made this possible by making its entire 100 day-season last year fun to watch. :)

7. Tamera says:

I’m sure that this has already been posted, but has CBS announced when they will air the rest of Season 2 of Unforgettable? Thanks in advance for any info!

• leighbbrown says:

CBS has ordered a third, 13-episode season of the drama for telecast in summer 2014. In addition, there are half a dozen episodes still unaired from the second season that the network will show at some point.

• replayer says:

Yes, they announced that season 2 will resume starting Friday, April 4 at 8/7c

8. sls says:

Can’t wait for BB! For anyone thinking last season was boring…consider getting the live feeds this year. I watched BB for years but never really thought the live feeds would be very interesting, lots of sitting around doing nothing (which does happen). But I finally got them a couple years ago and it’s a game changer to me. Last year might have been boring if you only watched the aired/edited shows. But if you watched the live feeds it was probably much more entertaining.

For me, the live feeds are so much more interesting. You see things in the real life context and not the edited context. I couldn’t believe how different the people are and the situations are compared to what they show you on tv. Now I can’t go back to watching without the feeds. If you are a fan of the show but haven’t wanted to pay for the feeds, at least do a free trial if its offered again. It’s worth it!!!

• Christian says:

U must not have been paying attention last year if you think people’s main criticism with the season was that it was boring. It was vile, putrid and reprehensible!

• sls says:

??? Where did I say anyone’s main criticism was the season was boring??? I didn’t. I just pointed out that I enjoyed watching the live feeds compared to just watching the tv show and that maybe others might too.

If you wanted to comment about the drama regarding all of the racial/homophobic issues that went on during the show that’s fine but no need to start drama on my post when it had nothing to do with any of that.

9. meme says:

im a bb fan i love it no matter what i look forward to every one

10. Joey Padron says:

Can’t wait for new season of Under The Dome and check out Shawn from Southland new show Reckless.

11. Gerry says:

I am looking for more of Jane and Lisbon on the Mentalist, they keep putting him with the dumb FBI agent, the whole show’s drawl was Lisbon and Patrick. Get them back.

12. Pam Harris says:

When will Mistresses return?