Pilot Scoop: Katie Holmes to Star in ABC's Dangerous Liaisons-esque High Society Drama

Katie HolmesIn a major coup for ABC, Katie Holmes is plotting a return to TV in the network’s Dangerous Liaisons-esque high society drama pilot written by Richard LaGravenese (Behind the Candelabra), TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

The potential series, which will be set in modern day New York, finds Holmes playing Ann, a woman of education and breeding, who has never used those advantages for power over others. She’s smart, stylish and genuinely down to earth (it’s basically the Michelle Pfeiffer role). Ann runs a philanthropic foundation with her husband. When Philip (Rufus Sewell) and Margot (still uncast) make a bet and destroy Ann’s perfect marriage, Ann learns to play the game and becomes the ultimate match for Philip.

Taylor Hackford will direct the pilot.

If the project gets picked up to series, this would mark Holmes first full-time TV gig since her Dawson’s Creek days. The actress will next be seen in the Tribeca Film Festival-bound dark comedy Miss Meadows, and the utopian drama The Giver (out Aug. 15).

1. Kaycee says:

I was hoping she’d be cast in the Margot role, it’d be nice to see her play a darker character.

2. spindae2 says:

nice one. sounded good to me as I read the premise. Would love for Rose McGowan to be cast in the Margot Role.

• Kaycee says:

That would be perfect!

• kate'shomesick says:

ah…this is gonna sound really mean but Rose McGowans face can’t really be used for acting anymore…it’s just so distracting- I don’t know if she chose to do that much to it or if it was necessary after her accident but expressing subtle emotions just doesn’t seem possible…

• spindae2 says:

I really didn’t watched to much of her, after Charmed but I was surprised by her performance in OUAT. She was such a great devious character a real change from Paige. I would love to see her back on the small screen.

3. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

So, it’s Cruel Intentions for the above 30 crowd?

4. Brooke says:

I hope Katie has a glorious return to acting so that her bizarre marriage is but a nearly forgotten blip in her past. I’ve always had a soft spot for her.

5. Titina says:

This sounds like a great pilot! Hope it gets picked up instead of the usual police and FBI series. Enough of those!

6. Jay says:

I love Dawson’s Creek, I love Cruel Intentions, I love Katie Holmes and I will love the pilot :))

7. Carol says:

It’s a coup to hire someone like Holmes who can’t act? Really?

• Tarc says:

Considering that there are many seasons of television of proof that she’s a quite credible actor, that’s a pretty bizarre assertion.

• tiffglenn1@yahoo.com says:

“many seasons of tv as proof” how many years ago? so, are we going to see the same one-dimensional acting?

8. Erin says:

They need to recast the male lead and go with someone like Alexander Skarsguard or Charlie Hunnam or jami barber for the other female role how about Anna Torv

• CF98 says:

I like Rufus Sewell can’t really picture him and Katie together though.

Anna Torv would be hilarious given the Joshua Jackson connection.

9. Holmes=disaster. the coup was she got a job, not that ABC got her for the pilot. I know I won’t be watching this and I doubt many people will.

10. E.F. Coleman says:

This sounds good another night soap.

11. j. charles says:

This type of programming is really overplayed by now. The types of roles an actor utilizes pretty much dictates their future survival.
    I will be surprised if it gets picked up at all. Katie appears to be a person of great calculation. That said; it is difficult to imagine any of her choices to date have been made by her. Not one movie, play etc has had any recent success and her movie releases have ;huge delays.
    Ultimately; I see this talented ingenue allowing herself to just fade away.
    JW

12. Eli says:

Sounds like that show that they scheduled after revenge last season and quickly cancelled. I’m sorry but I’ll wait Til the cable adaptation that Christopher Hampton is bringing to television. It sounds more like the real thing and not a pale imitation.