Grey's Anatomy Scoop: Isaiah Washington to Return to Take Cristina's Journey 'Full-Circle'

burke-cristina-300-2The plot surrounding Sandra Oh’s impending Grey’s Anatomy exit has thickened considerably.

Isaiah Washington is set to reprise his role as Cristina’s ex, Dr. Preston Burke, in one May episode, TVLine has learned.

VIDEO | Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina

“It’s important to me that Cristina’s journey unfolds exactly as it should,” said series creator Shonda Rhimes in a statement. “Burke is vital to that journey — he gives her story that full-circle moment we need to properly say goodbye to our beloved Cristina Yang.”

Washington was pink-slipped from Grey’s after Season 3 wrapped, in the wake of a months-long controversy that started with an October 2006 on-set incident in which he allegedly referred to castmate T.R Knight with a homophobic slur — and then he repeated said slur during a cast appearance at the Golden Globes.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: Will Katherine Heigl Return?

Washington’s character had already effectively been written out in the Season 3 finale, after Burke left Cristina at the altar.

Thoughts?!

• Whatevah says:

Ditto!

• Tav says:

excellent news, always wanted them together!

• Yeah, he’s suffered enough. He’s a good actor. And maybe he’s learned from this. Hope his career is back on track.

• sedeyus says:

Something about Shonda’s reaction to his controversy always left a sour taste in my mouth. She tried to flip the issue into a racial one when a couple of idiots suggested that Eriq La Salle take over the role. And after Washington left, T. J.’s material was basically junk until he felt it necessary to leave the show. She picked on sides on the issue.

• David says:

I agree Sedeyus. Shonda’s responses to Washington’s behavior never set right with me. Wasn’t it as recent as a year or two ago when she said she was going to have a line where everyone learns Izzie has died, but recanted it the night before filming. I was thinking why is that even remotely necessary?! Heigl is gone, Knight is gone, but something told me she would have Washington back one day if the network would allow it. It’s not a race issue when when he referred to Knight in epithet and harassed Dempsey. But it sure looks like one when Shonda stands by him as the acknowledged perpetrator.

• So Shonda is OK with homophobes and gaybashers, or at least pro-bigot.
          This surprises you … why? What is it about her that led you to believe she was a genuinely good and kind person?

• B says:

I haven’t watched greys in YEARS but I will definitely be watching this episode!

1. Mike says:

Jesus! Since 2007? Time does fly.

2. mile says:

OH MY GOD

3. Wow! Was not expecting this to actually happen.

4. Emma says:

OMG YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. abz says:

WTF??? WHY? They bring this character back but Shonda refuses to let Katherine Heigl return? That’s just bull!

• laura says:

You’re not making sense. Isaiah is only back to bring Cristina’s story to full circle. Bringing back Izzie wouldn’t do that for Cristina. You can’t compare the situations. If they had a good reason to bring Izzie back, maybe they would if Katherine was up for it.

• abz says:

How am I not making sense? Both actors left the show for controversial reasons (doesn’t matter what they were). A lot of time has passed and now one is allowed to come back but not the other?

• Soukatherine spit on a lot more shoes that Isaiah did, to be honest. Alas, time heals. Isaiah’s controversy has more than a few years on Katherine Heigl’s…maybe if and when Justin chambers leaves the show, she’ll come back again, too.

• Jen says:

actually it does matter. Isaiah had an altercation with a coworker, katherine publicly slammed her boss. Some may see it as petty but shonda has every right to not bring her back

• Princess says:

I agree I want Ozzie back too! But Burke hasn’t been on thes how for a long time!! Ozzie will come back when it’s her time

• abz says:

Also, there are many ways they could bring Izzie back. For example, her cancer came back, consulting on a case, visiting friends, etc.

• Mary says:

Why bring her back, she wanted out she got what she wished for. Sorry her career didn’t take off like she thought it would but the old expression don’t bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

• abz says:

Okay, this is all in the past (almost 4 years ago). Things were said, mistakes were made and the way we learn is through our mistakes. It’s not the end of the world. As Adele Dazim would say: “Let it go” :)
            Secondly, it’s primarily about the character not the actors. The character is who I want to see back, If I just wanted to look at Heigl’s face I’d go to Google images or YouTube or something. The character was a great one and as I’ve mentioned in previous posts, would probably be way better and more interesting to watch than anything that is currently going on in Grey’s. Anyways, you’ll probably get your wish. We may never see her on Grey’s again. Here’s to hoping maybe in the series finale.

• NikkiL says:

Adele Dazim!!!! BAHAHAHHA

Ahem, sorry. I actually love it when a story comes full circle. Makes for a nice deep “ahhhhh” as you wipe away your tears. Sure am gonna miss that Cristina chick. I love everything Sandra Oh has ever been in. She’s seriously underrated. Who can forget the Cristina/Owen counseling sessions? They will forever be etched in my heart. What a performance she gave! Farewell, Person.

• leo21 says:

This! It always bugged me that there was never closure between the two of them. And the only character that needed to have that with Izzie was Alex and he got it. I don’t think that there is much else to explore with her character.

• sasha says:

We don’t need always a closure to bring character and huge one… I remember her last scene with Meredith and it was so out of character.

• Krystan says:

There are those eggs Alex fertilized for her. She could want to use them and need his permission.

• Cassie says:

Isaiah didn’t insult Shonda’s work to the media…

• sasha says:

Not true! he sais some bas things about the show! And Ellen confirmed between him and Katie he was the drama bitch

• abz says:

Also, even Patrick Dempsey in the media referred to musical episode, which I seem to remember that Shonda really wanted to do, as a mistake.

• dude says:

Patrick Dempsey isn’t a woman though so people are quick to forget anything he says.

True, sadly

• Addie says:

Unfortunately true. It’s why even though I don’t love KH, I’m not into hating her the way everyone else seems to. I even remember seeing interviews where both Patrick and Kevin talked about how long the hours can be- but no one called them selfish for that.

• Josh says:

So sad, so true.

• misha says:

Patrick has also said that he’s basically only on the show for the money. The difference between the two is that Mer/Der has always been a core relationship for greys so he can pretty much say whatever he wants without a fear of getting fired. Katherine Heigl on the other hand went through a period where she pretty much knocked all of of her major roles (grey’s, 27 dresses, knocked up). I always hated heigl’s arrogance of saying that she wasn’t submitting her name for an emmy that year, as if she would have automatically won had she decided to submit

• ggny says:

Because Isaiah didnt bash the show and its writers. The guy made a mistake and called someone a term that is commonly used as slang even though it shouldnt. Isaiah was a mistake Katherine Heigl sabotage herself and the show

• Tony says:

IMO, Alex got the closure he needed with Izzy whereas Burke just left Cristina high and dry without any words. While I would love to see Katherine Heigl back, I think this return has been long overdue

• Addie says:

KH stood up for TR publicly and was one of the only cast members to do so, that seemed like when Shonda starting hating her. That being said, it wouldn’t make much sense for Izzie to return for Cristina. They got close during the cancer arc but that was pretty much it. If it were Alex/Justin leaving (or even Meredith/Ellen) that would be a different story.

• abz says:

I never said she had to come back for Cristina or Alex. They could bring back the character just because the character itself. Having Izzie back even for one episode would be better than anything they’re currently doing with the interns

+100000000

• believe741 says:

Amen lol.

• Dani says:

Shonda has a version of the show where she said that an Izzie return wouldn’t make much sense. What’s wrong with that? What would Izzie do if she returns?
          Apologize to Alex or what would the reason be to suddenly appear again? I don’t see it having any real meaning at this point. Especially since Alex is in another relationship.
          People are quick to judge Shonda for the decisions she makes. I expect if she wouldn’t have Washington back for at least one episode, people would feel cheated there too.

• abz says:

I believe Shonda said that two seasons ago around the time when she was getting ready to kill Mark and Lexie off the show. That was a hectic time with the plane crash and the aftermath, so of course Izzie returning around that time wouldn’t have worked out because the show was dealing with a lot. But currently this has been a pretty poor season of Grey’s (the worst season in my opinion). It’s clear that Shonda/writers don’t care as much about Grey’s anymore and mostly about Scandal seeing as how Grey’s is continuously sucking with significant characters like Cristina, Callie, Arizona and Meredith being pushed to the sidelines in favor of storylines for horrible and widely disliked characters like the new interns. I mean Sandra Oh’s final season has been pretty much a complete disappointment so far. Half the season was wasted on a fight between her and Mer.
            I don’t the lack of story for Izzie is the issue. Shonda is creative. If she was willing to bring back Izzie, she could probably come up with a great or interesting storyline even if for an episode if she wanted to. After all, Izzie was one of the best characters on the show.

• sasha says:

No. Patrick was the first! He even fight with him!

• S. says:

I’m guessing she didn’t really wanna get rid of Isaiah. It seemed like Shonda would’ve rather kept him on and waited for it to blow over, but when he shot his mouth off again (at the Golden Globes, I think) it made it hard. I think she always blamed Katherine and TR for the drama even though it was clearly Isaiah’s fault. ABC probably put a lot of pressure on her to let him go. Oh well, her loyalties are clear now.

No at this time Shonda & Katie were friends and close

• Dani says:

So you “guess” and “think” something but then you say something like “her loyalties are clear now”. You don’t know what you’re talking about or so it seems. Katie and Shonda were close back then. It wasn’t until T.R. decided to leave that Katie felt that Grey’s was stopping her from doing other stuff. And the way Katie wanted out of her contract, that’s when Shonda was pissed. Understandingly so.

• Jo says:

Umm how about the fact that Heigl actually didn’t show up for work then she was supposed to… that she had a contract and she broke that one by not showing up on the day of shooting… it was in season 6 she had episodes she was gone from but was going to come back for later episodes but she decided not to come to work then she was to… I dont like Burk much read at all or even the actors gay hate comments where as i actually do like Heigl not work related i do think she burned a lot more bridges there to hte show by not coming to work where as far as i have understood it was a a studio decision to let Washington go… and there in lies the difference do you prefer to work with one you let go that at least you think might be loyal to his/hers contract on showing up this time or someone that left you high and dry then expected to return and just didnt bother to and later trashed the drama and then was all i dont want to ever come back and suddenly all well i would love to come back… that is unreliable statements… and she has burnt a lot more bridges on that front…. and this is coming from someone that actually watched all her movies after, and never bothered following Washington…

• abz says:

It’s been I think 4 years since the KH drama! I think the woman has learned her lesson and wouldn’t be stupid enough to make the same mistakes with Grey’s again after how much she was hated for her actions. If the day comes where she returns and I’m wrong and she causes similar problems, I have no problem admitting it.

• sasha says:

jo? really? it’s on purpose? lol
        Not the true story she wanted to come back for season 6 and she signed a new contract but she had a baby girl and wanted to pass more time with her to create a connection because she was adopted… so she chose to kleave and broke her contract. Justin Chambers himself said how professionnal she is! The thing Shonda blame her is to said she doesn’t want to be nominated for an emmy because she didn’t have a material to… And you’ll tell me but she made movies and yes because it’s less time on set for a short time…

Since she apologized… And like I said if a man did what she did it would not have taken on such proportions

• Jo says:

how about you go to Ew inside and check 2010/3/11 there is a delicious article of her being finally released from her contract that coming after she was expected to return to set for filming march 1. after she had taken time of for her kid… but didnt show up for filming as she was expected to… and that is contract breech … yes some says it is more complicated to why she didnt show up… but facts that lay out is that she didnt show up for filming and that i can honestly understand why Shonda is pissed about… suddenly having to rewrite the remaining 5 episodes of season 6 because Heigl doesnt show up to do her job…

• David says:

Jo obviously you feel passionately about the fictional lives of these characters on television and these actors whom you will likely never be able to scrape the gum off their shoes…but the fact remains what Washington did was far more damaging to the series than anyone else. While reading that article on EW you should visit the Golden Globes 2007 video where Washington pushed Shonda aside so he could lie on TV and go on a homophobic rant.

• Whatevah says:

I never want to see KH on Grey’s again.

• judy says:

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• David says:

Burke left Christina at the alter and ran. That’s his and her end. There is no reason to bring him back except Shonda was always on Isaiah Washington’s side. She stated repeatedly how Izzie was her “favorite character to write” but rest assured we will never see her again. And she litterally threw George under the bus. I like Shonda’s shows but I don’t think I’d like Shonda the person.

• Antwon says:

Because Katherine Heigl asked to be released from her contract…i.e. She quit because she wanted to make movies. She did not leave on good terms. In fact, she didn’t show up for the start of season 5. She also went on a talk show and complained about working such long days but failed to mention that Shonda and ABC altered the shooting schedule to accommodate KH! She tried to pitch a story last year about wondering what Izzie has been doing and wanting to give close to Alex/Izzie fans…she sure wasn’t thinking about those fans when she quit. She’s a diva and ungrateful and I get why Shonda isn’t chomping at the bit to bring her back!

• WonderWaage says:

He’s a good actor. She’s an absolutely horrendous excuse for an actor.

• abz says:

Please. If we’re talk solely about their acting, KH was clearly superior to him and most people on the show. She won the Emmy for it. Even with unpopular storylines like the Denny hallucinations, she did a tremendous job.

• Bob Smith says:

To do what? There’s no reason to bring back her character at this point.

• bellydancer says:

yes but Katherine Heigl bad mouthed the show for ever & everywhere, bragged about being “to good” for the show etc. Now as I hear it she’s begging for a spot back on the show which I hope Shonda will stand by her word & just say NO to her!! She was a weak link anyway I thought! More importantly I think this show has more than run it’s time I personally wish they would all just quit & say we’re done that’s enough!!

• abz says:

“weak link” –> lmao please, she was one if not THE best character of the first five seasons IMO.
        This controversy is almost four years old and the bad mouthing you said she did happened quite a while ago, so I don’t see how she’s been badmouthing the show “for ever and everywhere”.

• J says:

Exactly.If the character of Burke can finally get some closure the the fans of Izzie and Izzie/Alex deserve it too.There is so much more story left to be told there.

6. wordsmith says:

That is a stunning bit of news. Did not think we would ever see this day come.

7. I really did not expect that. When people were saying ‘hope Burke comes back’ etc., I was thinking, yeah that’s not gonna happen, so very surprised about this decision. Not quite sure what to make of it at the moment.

8. GG says:

Best. news. ever.

9. Addie says:

Unpopular opinion time! I never liked Burke/Cristina and that was before Washington showed what a ~classy guy he is. Hopefully it’s just a brief thing and there’s no hint of them getting together after Cristina leaves. She deserves so much better than him now, he wanted to change her the same way Owen does.

• ggny says:

I dont think it will be about them getting back together. Im putting he offers her a job and to learn from him again

• jen says:

the way the article is worded I’m guessing it will be a storyline where burke never left her at the alter and they ended up going through with the wedding

10. spartan says:

Love this development … but since it’s just one episode, I suppose it won’t amount to much.

• GottaHaveEmAll says:

Unless…..its the last episode of the season and they go off into the sunset together or she takes an attending position at his hospital. OMG. I am so happy Burke will be back on my screen

11. Alichat says:

huh…..wow

12. ggny says:

Really good news. Also i betting this has nothing to do romance wise but rather Career wise. Im guessing Burke comes back to offer Cristina a job somewhere and to continue learning from him

13. Booger says:

Cool. He was a great character. He and Owen have a great deal in common.

14. Roxanne says:

OMG!!! I thought this is what was going to happen!! YES!

15. Alex says:

This completly undermines anything Christina has become, she became who she is because of loosing Burke, I hope she tells him where to stick it and moves on without him, it ruins who she has become

• Tony says:

We have no idea what the context of this return is. So I say we wait and see before declaring it of the romantic nature

• ggny says:

If it is about work only and her going to learn from him it undermines nothing. Burke is a Harper Award winning Surgeon. If it is about Romance then it does

• Alex says:

If it is about learning something even then, she is going back to being under someone who doesn’t appreciate her, she shaved off her eyebrows to make him happy, she will be influenced by him it will be romantic and if she runs off with him, she will not be happy, to be ” full circle” she would need to get in Erica Hahn too, as she was the one who also didn’t want to teacher Cristina, I think it’s a bad mistake

• She was always that person. Before, during and after Burke.

16. Meg says:

Excited, but I sincerely hope this isn’t a 10-second George Clooney appearance like when Carol left ER.

• JB says:

George Clooney was “GEORGE CLOONEY” when he did that…that situation shouldn’t even be compared to this. He was/is still friends with cast members, including Julianna. I don’t think Isaiah is in that much contact with the cast. And that 10 second shot was epic. Only a few people knew about it. It was literally in the director’s freezer until the final edit. The cast didn’t even know about it. And Grey’s is more about the personal turmoils right now than it is about the medicine, so Burke will be in the episode like a guest star and be featured in the episode.

• Jo says:

Amen and lets not forget Clooney and Julianna both returned to an episode for the finale season together and only after agreeing with each other with real and more scenes… there were completely other things at play… from what i know Washington isn’t Oh’ real life close friend she still hangs out with and talk about in interviews and says there is nothing unsexy about (yes gals Julianna did that just last week)… this isnt what you are playing with… depending on if it is in the sliding doors episode or another one and i assume another one as the sliding doors one is in the end of this month and it says Washington returns for May… my guess he returns for sweeps season… and maybe in the sliding doors episode Cristina sees that she needs a mentor and boss like him to keep developing to not pausing and that is why he comes back… or he comes back to offer her a job or closure after that episode… those are my guesses…

17. scb says:

I’m shocked! Do any of you think he’s coming back on so hm and Cristina can ride off into the sunset?

18. Robyn says:

Didn’t Cristina leave Burke at the altar, not the other way around?

• Jo says:

No she didnt… she was ready after a freak out but he ended it and then she returned to their apartment he had moved completely out and left her high and dry…

19. believe741 says:

Jesus Shonda just let the drama go and bring back Izzie darnit! THERE ARE so many ways Izzie can come back are you kidding? If Burke can come back Izzie can too.

20. XrysaK says:

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

21. Mary says:

Wow. I stopped watching Grey’s during that those “ghost sex” time so I’m not up to date on all the new stuff that has happened to Cristina but I’m very interested to see how they use Burke to to a proper farewell for her! I totally remember the episode when he left her at the altar and even I was crushed! I thought the whole controversy with Isaiah was overblown – yes, he used a tasteless slur and who the hell knows what was happening in the background and clearly he could have used some sensitivity training but at the end, it was all too ugly. I feel like Grey’s always had so much off set drama and those tend to turn me off the shows.

22. Brooke says:

Why does the slur always come up when recounting Washington’s misdeeds but not the physical attack on Dempsey that was reported at the same time? Back in the day, the word was that Washington was creating a hostile work environment for everyone, it wasn’t just two slips of the tongue.

• sasha says:

It’ what I said.And in Hollywood when a man say/do something nasty/direspectful it’s ok, forgiven or he’s a badass, have balls… but when it’s a women she’s a bitch, she should shut her mouth… double standards much?! (same for cheating)

• Goldie says:

I adore Patrick Dempsey but from what I remember Patrick got up in Isaiah’s face yelling. Isaiah told him after that he had beautiful eyes. I’m guessing that didn’t go over too well either.

• sasha says:

Not at all! Patrick stood up for TR and they really fight

• Addie says:

Patrick was yelling at him because of what Isaiah said to TR. He then starting choking Patrick because…I don’t know, it made him feel manly or something?

• Amanda says:

He was not yelling at him because of TR…get your fact straight! Washington was yelling at Dempsey because he was always late and was being unprofessional. They were arguing and that’s when Washington put his hands on him, TR wasn’t even in the room…..Actually if you go back to the interview that Rhimes and Washington did on Larry King Live, he wasn’t even talking to TR when he said the slur, he was talking to Dempsey and TR felt he was implying him because he was the only gay man in the room! (He confirmed that on Ellen) Geez the way all of these imaginations fly!!!

• Ninna says:

How sensitive this TR is! If he had been shut maybe this witch-hunt could be prevented. It seems to me that Shonda is slapping someone through the face with this action of being IW back and getting her revenge.

In fact his returning is so relevant as, KH or TR. Has no relevance at all, at this point. Even more in Cristina SL case, because as all of us who follow the soap know, Owen was the new Burke after IW was fired. They only needed him to wrap the SL, not IW.

23. shay says:

What about NO? Cristina is the one she is because she lost Burke and was independant…. She needs to go out because she has a better great job somewhere else! Plus Isaiah is ot here since season 3 so too much time to have again a connection with her

24. Linda says:

People! Relax! Another article speaks of the episode exploring timelines. The fact he is only back for one episode suggests he is part of that exploration alone. Besides, KH did come back to Seattle Grace to give Her storyline some kind of closure. I do not approve of I W’s loose tongue but I can see why a send off for Yang would be incomplete without him.

• sasha says:

Hummm he leave her at the latar and they don’t have a scene since season 2 I think so she doesn’t need him to have a closure! and the Izzie “closure” was the worst because it wasn’t Izzie at all to leave like taht mainly her last scene with Meredith

25. dude says:

Just another way to insult Katherine Heigl.

• Bob Smith says:

Heigl doesn’t want to come back for any length of time, so what’s the compelling need to bring her back for one episode? There’s no storyline for her any longer.

26. Goldie says:

This is amazing news imo. I figured when I heard someone from the past was returning it would be Burke. With Cristina’s ground breaking surgery it makes so much sense. I don’t care that it may not be as a romantic partner, it truly will be full circle.

27. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy that Isaiah Washington is coming back and we can find out what Burke has been up to since he left.Plus depending on how things go Christina and Burke can find closure to their relationship or even a new beginning.

28. Sims says:

Love this news. I bet it’s a job offer to go and work with him.

29. Sarah says:

Why!? Again WHY!?!?! Too much to give that character a happy ending?

30. Lauren says:

This crossed my mind when I saw about the ‘Sliding Doors’ episode, but I didn’t actually think it would happen. Awesome! I’m excited to have his character back, even though what he said to TR was way out of line.
    Also I don’t understand how this is a Burke vs Izzie situation, if Alex were leaving, sure, it would make sense for Izzie to come back. But right now she wouldn’t really fit in Alex’s storyline. I do hope Katie comes back but I hope it’s for the finale to be honest.

31. Dominique says:

i really hope this is only in a professional way, like he’s returning to offer her a job or something. if this is about trying to get them getting back together, then no please. he nearly destroyed cristina trying to shape her to be his perfect woman.

32. Bette says:

Can anyone tell me why Shonda Rhimes who is an incredible advocate for LBGT rights and equality is allowing a homophobic asshole to return to work after his previous actions? Because honestly I don’t understand what’s going on.

• sasha says:

I don’t understand too! Shonda is a bit hypocrit too and maybe for the buzz. Cristina is my fave and alreasy a lot of others one I loved left so for me the show is done (and it’s time but we know P & E signed 2 years again)

• Lena says:

Bette, interesting comment. Isaiah should pay for his mistakes forever. Shouldn’t he? I hope someone feels the same way about YOUR mistakes and you have to pay for everything you have done wrong in your life…without EVER getting a second chance. Sound good?

33. SFZ says:

BAH. It has been too long and bringing him back is gratuitous and trite. There is NO good backfill story or reason for that moment. Even if it’s to merely to allow Christina a moment to express her righteous indignation; that will only serve to minimize who she is today because of what he did and not who he was.

34. Olivia says:

Mentioning Burke, the character, or showing flashbacks is one thing. But allowing back a known homophobe on the set, even for a nanosecond? That’s real life insult to the LGBT viewers.
    I’ve put up with boring as hell writing, a billion characters all over the place, plot holes galore, over the top drama that actually makes regular drama shows want to cry, ghost sex, the departure of Addison, the very existence of Mark Sloan, the deaths of George and Lexie, the destroying of previously well written characters such as Callie, Arizona and Bailey and finally the news that Cristina is leaving.
    But that? This is where the line is crossed, because it’s not fiction anymore.

100% AGREE

• Amanda says:

That was back in 2006, he apologized and even did a PSA….what more do you want?
      He isn’t a KNOWN homophobe, he’s a KNOWN asshole, there is a difference! He has had NUMEROUS LBGT supporters in his defense stating that he isn’t homophobic, they know him, you don’t so stop basing a man’s live off of a mistake. I hate when people take things too far…..

• Olivia says:

Yeah sure, just like racist people all have friends of color, misogynists have wives and so on. What’s your point?
        What more do I want? I want homophobes to take responsibility for their words and actions and stop being excused by ignorant people all the time on the stupid basis that it happened ‘so long ago’ or that they have done a poor PR stunt to show how sorry they are, like it was nothing serious.
        Now, if Washington was giving some of his time to help LGBT homeless youth for example, or got involved with some LGBT rights organization (and I mean sincere commitment, not some kind of one shot apparition at an event) in order to show people he’s really sorry and how utterly stupid and wrong of him it was to do what he did because there are real life consequences… then I would consider forgiving him because people deserve a second chance, provided that they really want to change and make things better. It was never the case with him in 8 friggin’ years, so get off your high horse and stop implying that LGBT people should get over it. I’d hope you’d never say that to a person of color when talking about a racist trash, so please don’t feel entitled to do that to LGBT people expressing their dislike of an homophobic trash. And if the fact that people still stand up against people like him even years later is “taking things too far” in your opinion, then I’m proud to say that I will not stop taking things too far as long as someone finds excuses just like you did. Hate and discrimination are never ok. If you have to rank hate speech’s gravity you need to work on yourself.

• Lauren says:

He was not excused. He was fired from his job. He took responsibility – he apologized and even did a PSA. Should the man be punished forever?

• TRM says:

I read an article on another site that says that GLAAD approves of the work he’s done showing support, and that they’re supportive of his return. It’s one flipping episode. I hope you’re someone who’s never said something is “retarded” either, because you’d be just the same.

• joe says:

i’ve got to wonder if you’ve actually looked into any of the work he’s done….

• Amanda says:

Excuse me, I am a person of color, so does that give me permission Olivia to tell you to get over it?

• Jen says:

except he’s not a known homophobe…washington used the word in an argument with dempsey. TR was in the room and took it as an offence against himself. He may be an ignorant asshole but he isn’t a homophobe

35. nitemar says:

Great news! This could have made a great blind item article. Guess who’s coming back to Grey’s. (:

36. tamy says:

Can we just stop with the actors and think about the characters? Personally I didn’t like Burke but look forward why he come back and I think it’s for a job offer! And I liked Izzie and I wish she’ll come back and yes there’s many ways to make her come back… The first seasons were the best

37. Babygate says:

Hate this. It seems evident that they’re going to have Burke whisk Christina away to some new, fantastic opportunity that she can’t turn down. Like he’s a knight in shining armor. After he left her at the altar that is just a slap in the face. Especially to Owen. The casting choices at Grey’s have been a real downer lately.

38. Stacey says:

WOW! Never thought it would happen, even with the references to Burke lately. Given how he exited.

39. Felicity says:

Perhaps she is not leaving with Burke for career or romantic reasons. Since this is a “Sliding Doors” episode it’s possible we are getting a “what would have happened if Burke never left Cristina at the altar” storyline.

40. Keith says:

The homophobic bigot is back? Well, Im not returning to watch. Just deleted ‘Greys’ from my DVR.

41. Tina B. says:

I FREAKIN LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. E says:

Awful news! I refuse to watch anything Isaiah Washington is attached to.

43. Tiffany says:

Bring Burke to give Cristina proper goodbye. Well that sad since she give Lexie and Mark such a crappie goodbye. Shonda went to the mat for Burke and kept his character alive. While Lexie and Mark, who no one wanted died, she killed. I guess we know “Who do ya Love” Shonda

44. Tiffany says:

Bring Lexie and Mark back to life instead of bring Burke back.

45. Court says:

This is such great news. He’s an amazing character and it was a shame to see him go.

46. kelli says:

I was hoping this was going to happen!

I always felt that Cristina had rushed into marriage with Owen just like George did with Callie.

47. Josh says:

Yuck. Not to mention, Burke was such a boring character. He was so slow, low energy and IW’s line readings could put anyone to sleep.

48. Alicia says:

GUYS, did no one read the article from earlier today! It says in it that the episode focuses on different ways that Christina’s life could have gone. So, my guess that there are two major things she sees when she does her “what if?”. Is what would have happened if Burke didn’t leave and what happens if she didn’t abort her and Owen’s baby! I’m praying even though I love Christina that Burke just appears in the “What if?” scenario and not in the actual timeline and that in one or both of the alternate versions that Lexie and Mark are alive and are just on vacation or something!

My guess is that in the “What if?” scenerio with Burke that he becomes chief in season 6 instead of Derek when Webber’s drinking is revealed and he still runs the hospital to this day. I’m interested to see if Callie and Arizona would still be together in this version of the story because Hahn would have never come to open Callie up to the possibility of being with a woman. Also I wonder how it would affect Jackson and April (more on whether they are present in the scenario than anything else.) Would Owen even work there? How would it effect Mer/Der (not that I really think it would change that much). Also whether Arizona would even work at the hospital and would it change anyone’s specialty. My guess is that the hospital is still SGMW or SG not GSMH.

For the Owen and baby parallel universe I think the major change besides she and Owen being happy is that the plane crash would have never happened or happened differently (to were Lexie/Mark are alive or people have different injuries or Alex was on the plane instead of Arizona!) I want to see how it effects everyone in the present even though I don’t see a lot changing beside Owen/Christina having never been divorced!

• scb says:

Even though those are interesting ideas, Isaiah’s returning in May, and the what if episode is airing at the end of this month.

49. Fernanda says:

yess…. I always love Isaiah’s character, the actor behavior never affected me my opinion of the character and I will always love to watch Burke and Yang together one more time.

Thanks Shonda, now bring back TR too for a dream sequence or another What If episode.