CSI Spin-Off Scoop: Patricia Arquette to Star in CBS' Cyber Crime-Themed Offshoot

Patricia Arquette CSI Spin-OffMedium alum Patricia Arquette has landed the lead role in CBS’ cyber crime-themed planted CSI spin-off, TVLine has learned.

The Emmy winner will play Avery Ryan, Special Agent in Charge at the Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in Quantico, VA. Ryan is tasked with solving high-octane crimes that start in the mind, live on-line, and play out into the real world.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The character, inspired by real-life Cyber Psychologist Mary Aiken (who serves as a producer), will be introduced in an episode of CSI: Original Flavor to air later this season. (CBS will decide whether to order the spin-off to series in May.)

Franchise creator Anthony E. Zuiker will co-write the script with longtime CSI EPs Carol Mendelsohn and Ann Donahue.

Arquette most recently recurred on the fifth season of Boardwalk Empire as a love interest for Steve Buscemi’s Nucky Thompson.

1. Mary says:

Good for her. But another CSI? Can’t CBS find something else to put on the air other than more of the same thing?

2. Steven says:

Not a CSI fan, except for the occasional NY, but I’ll watch just for Patricia.

3. Kristen says:

I was all interested for this maybe spin off till I read this.

4. The Rookie says:

CBS is getting good actors for their new shows, I congratulate them on the effort to take procedural to a higher quality level. Great that we get a female to lead a team on a procedural. I am not a weekly follower (only of CM) but enjoy CSI when I can, I think this is a new concept and should do well.

5. nate says:

HELL YEA!!

6. Pengoozy says:

Doubt I’ll watch. I find PA to be a complete snooze especially in Medium.

7. Sharon says:

There are too many shows with female leads if you don’t get a good male second lead the show wil likely flop. Patricia is a good actress but I wouldn’t watch for just her.

8. ChicagoDan says:

Excellent choice. CBS desperately needs more programs with female leads and PA is more than capable.

9. Kalee says:

Whaaaaa??? A recent CBS crime procedural primarily led by a female that’s not Patricia Arquette’s “Medium”? Impossible!

10. Teag says:

She recurred in the fourth season, not fifth. Will she be in the fifth and final season though?

11. Daniel says:

Loved her in Medium and Really a great choice. Let’s hope this spin-off will be more like CSI rather than NY or worse Miami.

12. Linderella says:

I watch nothing on CBS. Patricia Arquette will bring me back to the network. Great news!

13. caitlyn says:

Hope the spin off will turn out great, am a big fan of CSI and CSI NY, but not Miami.
    don’ know why Horatio creeped me out lol

14. Broadwayfan says:

CBS had two perfectly wonderful CSI spinoffs. They cancelled them, people we had come to care about, and enjoyed. Once those programs were both gone I dropped the old original CSI, and I surely won’t be watching this thing.
    Thanks CBS, you give me a free hour I can spend on another network’s programs.

• Pengooz says:

I’m with you on this one. CSI Las Vegas was my fave but wasn’t the same after Grissom left. You are so right ……. looking forward to having a free hour to spend watching another network.

• Brian says:

The two seasons after William Petersen left were hard to watch. Laurence Fishburne is a great actor, but they wrote an awful role for him. Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue breathed new life into the show IMO. I like it almost as much as I did with Grissom.

• Pengooz says:

I agree about LF.. While a great actor, he just didn’t mesh well due to the role written for him. I love his role on Hannibal but on CSI he was a disaster.

15. Dragonfly says: