HIMYM Recaplet: Here We Go Again With That Theory -- Plus: Robin's [Spoiler] Arrives!

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 RecapAny other How I Met Your Mother fans have a nervous feeling in the pit of their stomach…?

The CBS comedy added fuel to the The Mother Is Dead Theory with Monday night’s episode, as Ted and his wife spent time away from the kids at the Farhampton Inn (yet again) in the year 2024.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Finale Photo Mystery: Why Is Barney Wearing [Spoiler]?

Let’s go back and review the ominous, dread-inducing evidence:

♦ Ted and The Mother spend most of the half-hour sharing old stories — sad nostalgia alert! — and even though they’re enjoying reliving the past, she admits that she’s concerned about her hubby. “I love your yarns,” she says. “I hope you never stop spinning them. You’re the love of my life, pooh bear. I just worry about you. I don’t want you to be the guy who lives in his stories. Life only moves forward.” Gulp.

♦ The gang realizes that after Robin and Barney’s wedding day, they don’t know when they’ll be together again. It’s a heavy moment that leaves them all speechless because when something is too intense, Future Ted begins, it’s best to “leave it unspoken and just enjoy each other’s company,” The Mother finishes as they exchange a meaningful glance.

♦ The surprise appearance of Robin’s mom (played by Tracey Ullman!) is not such a big shock to Mrs. Mosby. After all, “What mother is going to miss her daughter’s wedding?” she asks as Future Ted looks like he’s about to burst into tears. Poor Penny.

In this January TVLine poll, 42 percent theorized that the reason Ted told the kids this story when he did — and there is a reason — is because The Mother is dead or sick/in surgery. But that was a huge five weeks ago. So…

1. lariet50 says:

Okay, yeah, I think this can now be considered a serious likelihood. Ugh.

• JP says:

Not sure I agree, only because the “ominous-ness” of Ted/Mother’s last conversation was too obvious. Or because my brain rejects the dead mother theory as too depressing.

• Brendan says:

With you on the “too obvious.” The mother being dead has felt like a misdirect to me the entire time. It just doesn’t fit with the overall identity of the show. I believe the creators absolutely want people to be fearing that outcome at this point, but I don’t for a moment believe that they’re actually going to kill her.

• Brooke says:

Yeah, especially since the Internet has been buzzing about this theory since the Time Travelers episode. Surely the writers have been well aware of it for a while, and I can easily see them faking us out with some too obvious hints. Who WANTS fans to be able to guess an ending that is so many years in the making? I’m sure they want us to not be able to predict how it ends.

Then again, I didn’t think the writers would actually strand us at Robin and Barney’s wedding all season long. So who knows at this point.

• Romney Galvao says:

Maybe Ted’s Mom died and she missed his wedding.

• Jellymoff says:

This is what I assumed.

• Justin says:

someone has to explain this to me. the phrase is “what kind of mother misses her daughters wedding”.

how exactly does this give anyone the impression that Ted’s mom dies before his wedding? Ignore the evidence in the show of the kids grandparents being alive when he’s telling the story.

it’s a TV show, if they want to illicit a certain response i.e. foreshadowing Ted’s mothers death for example. Then they wouldn’t use the very specific phrase “what kind of mother misses her daughters wedding”.

if that was what they were trying to imply, they would say “what kind of parent misses their child’s wedding”. since that isn’t what was said, and Ted clearly is nobodies daughter, where does this concept even come from? Is the denial so deep that the mom may be dying that we are taking a specific statement and twisting it to mean something totally different to soothe ourselves?

• Weezy says:

Yeah I assumed that it was Ted’s mom that died. I didn’t pick up on the other clues as much. I guess when you put them all together it’s possible, but more likely a misdirect.

• ewwww! says:

@Justin Ted has a sister- it’s as safe assumption that his mother died before either of them got married. That’s what I thought, anyways.

• JLK says:

Yeah, I thought Ted’s Mom died too….before his sister got married. I know my husband and my sister-in-law had a really bittersweet day when my sister-in-law got married. Her absence was acutely felt every step of the way through the planning process and on the big day itself. If the mother is dying, she’s a rock. The fact that she only seemed to feel sympathy for Ted and no sadness of her own at missing her daughter’s wedding some day is incredible.

• CC says:

If it was aimed about Ted’s mum the quote would be “what mother misses her child’s wedding day?” when in fact it was “What mother misses her daughters wedding day?” I don’t remember Ted being a daughter.

• Patrick says:

I think it is Robin who died.

• Yolry says:

“daughter’s wedding” yeah, we know Ted’s a girl but I’m almost sure it isn’t Ted’s mom.

• Daca says:

Did anyone else notice that at the end of Ep. 2 (Coming home) Ted is doing a crossword at the Farhampton Inn and thinks that Vesuvius is the right answer but it doesn’t fit? Maybe this could mean that the whole storyline of this last ep. “Vesuvius” (mother dying…) doesn’t fit even though everybody thinks it is right? Just guessing…

• Captain Obvious says:

Not sure why people are totally freaking out over this. Stella was referring to her OWN mother missing their wedding…

• He ALWAYS refers to her in the past tense.

Especially note the episode where he first spotted her toy bus (I think it was) in the episode he was dating her room mate

• CC says:

That could be because he’s telling the story as a past story. Which means everything which happens is past tense.

• richi says:

Way too depressing! I voted “no”. Because I hope it’s not true!

• Eli says:

idk, i’m still not convinced… i understood the last scene as Ted crying because he thought about HIS mom. and i guessed that his mom died before Ted could marry the mother.

• A N says:

Yeah, I think that makes sense. But I think that his kids know Ted’s stepdad, at least, so I don’t know. On the other hand, he might also be thinking about his wife’s mother.I’m hoping that’s it, because frankly, if we waited 9 years for a plot twist this heartbreaking, I’m going to be furious.

• That’s that thing…millions of viewers will be pissed. If they want to jump start the “How I met your father” series next fall, I don’t think that they are going to end the show by pissing off their core group of potential viewers. There is no way she is dead.

• Justin says:

people need to stop saying that , of course there is a way that the mom ends up dead. It’s actually the most likely outcome. they have laid it out pretty clearly that she is dying, people are just refusing to believe it.

why else would a father gather his children up and tell them this long drawn out story if she is still around?

If she was, wouldn’t those stories be told one at a time over dinner or over the years?

there is a big difference between not wanting something to happen, and something not being likely

• Alyssa says:

But Ted specifically mentions to the kids about Grandma and “Grandpa Clint” so I think she stays around…

• He could still mention them even though they’re not around anymore. Just because the kids never met their grandmother doesn’t me she isn’t they’re grandmother, right.

• Ann says:

But if his mom isn’t around anymore, would he still refer to Clint as “Grandpa Clint”? Afterall, he never really liked that guy.

• It won’t let me reply to Ann, the comment below but this is really in response to her. A parent refers to a grandparent when talking to their children the way a child is used to referring to that grandparent. So yes, he would still call grandpa Clint grandpa grandpa Clint when talking to his children. If he was talking to a friend, he would simply call him Clint.

• CC says:

It said “What mother misses her DAUGHTER’S wedding?” not “What mother misses her CHILD’s Wedding?” You see how Ted isn’t a daughter?

• Elisabeth says:

Maybe this means that because of circumstances, Ted and the mother had to move away from his friends. And the story isn’t so much about meeting the mother, but about reminiscing about being with his friends, whose he’s no longer near now. Maybe…hopefully. I really don’t want the mother to be dead.

• X says:

Yeah, I think she might be sick. Something potentially terminal like cancer. I think he was realizing there was a good chance she might miss their daughter’s wedding because she won’t live that long. He wasn’t tearing up at a memory, he was tearing up over their reality. But the story could still take a turn. Future Ted could be telling his kids the stories to distract while they wait for some news on their mother’s health. And it could end with her getting a clean bill of health and a happy ending for all. I don’t know. But I definitely think she’s sick or potentially sick. Like at that point in time on their trip to the inn, maybe they hadn’t gotten test results back yet and were just taking on last trip in case she was looking at a cancer diagnosis. But again the story can always take a turn back to a happy place. You never know with this show.

• Jenna587 says:

My parents did this when my mom got diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back. They went on a trip to a place they often went just to be together for the weekend, just the two of them alone, before heading back to reality and facing the diagnosis, telling everyone, and starting with the treatment plan. My mom is several years in remission. I’m hoping that you’re right and the story takes a turn back to a happy place, they’re waiting to pick her up from surgery or the hospital after she’s in remission, and this is just one big fakeout.

• Tom says:

I do not but the season is dead to me it has been sooooooooo bad. Watching it is like just trying to get to the end of a long road trip

• TFultz says:

I don’t think it’s “the Mother” … it might just be Lily or Marshall or Robin.. remember, it would be the last time they were together.. the mother wasn’t there when Ted said that.

• Yea, but in the past nine years we’ve heard Ted talk about them always getting together for Thanksgiving, reunions (all full of ‘sandwiches’), etc. SO I don’t think that’s it.

• Tatharnio says:

Don’t forget Robots vs Wrestlers every year. Future Ted told his kids that even though they grew apart over the years they always made sure to get together every year for that.

• Ella says:

I’m in two minds. On one hand, it seems extremely likely. On the other, I am hoping she pulls through and he is telling the story on their anniversary or the anniversary of her survival/successful surgery for whatever.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

I still choose to be optimistic. I am going with that she has cancer at the time of this episode and he is telling the kids this story because the mother is celebrating the five year anniversary of her being cancer free. This episode takes place in 2024, cancer free in 2025, five year anniversary in 2030. Ending the show with her being dead is just too depressing of an ending to think about.

• y says:

I think that Ted has Alzheimer’s. In many of the past episodes as he is telling the stories he forgets. It doesn’t happen that often and it’s not that significant, but why put it in if it doesn’t contribute to something? Also in an interview with the actress who plays ted’s wife and the mother, she says that the accusation of her death is “ridiculous”. I think it would make sense he has Alzheimer’s honestly.

2. Melanie says:

I guess you mean Robin and Barney’s wedding instead of Robin and Ted’s? Also, I thought that Ted’s Mother was dead having him almost burst into tears.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Remedied. –Mgmt.

• Daniel says:

That’s exactly what I thought too (re: Ted’s mom), but then the line probably would have been “What mother is going to miss her child’s wedding?” or something less specific than “daughter.”

• Matthew says:

well Ted does have a sister…

• Ed says:

I thought Ted was crying at how The Mother’s mother missed her wedding

• rachel says:

I agree…although Ted’s sad eyes may make us think that he is sad about his mother missing his wedding, perhaps he is sad for what “the love of his life (his wife)” had to go through when her mother didn’t go to her wedding…He just feels really bad for her. Maybe he even has regrets about not being able to change that outcome for his wife.

• Mags says:

i concur. I’m often way more upset over things that affect my husband than he is b/c my heart hurts for him. So maybe, Ted being the sentimental, emotional creature he is, is simply empathizing with his wife about her mother not being there….

• Name This Tune says:

IDK, but am I the only one who thinks that the Mother died
      , Barney and Robin divorce and Robin and Ted reunite?

• MG says:

I’m sorry but if this is what happens, the last 9 years were a waste of my time. The point of the show so far is that The Mother is Ted’s “The One” and his whole journey of meeting her; plus they’ve gone out of their way this season to show how much Barney and Robin are perfect for each other and love each other. Why throw all that out and just have Ted & Robin end up together anyway?

• Marianne says:

I agree with that. Plus it would defeat the purpose in the 1st episode how Ted refers to Robin as their Aunt. That is unless they really wanted to throw us off all of this time.

• Basal Ganglia says:

Well if you remember the episode where Lily and Marshall had their bet box, at the end of the episode Lily tells Marshall to pay up and Marshall goes “not yet.” Based on this and the fact that Bays&Thomas said they had decided on the ending before the show started, I think it’s highly likely.

• Shannon says:

I agree with how Barney and Robin are perfect for each other. I don’t think that the 9 seasons will have been a waste if the mother dies. Even though it is an ode to Ted’s journey to find “The One,” the reality of life means that even if he finds The One, she might die. It’s tragic and it’s depressing but that’s life. As much as I hope that she’s not dead or dying, I don’t think that the writers would choose against that ending due to Ted’s journey of meeting the mother.

• Ann says:

I also think this is how it would end. Why else would Ted start his story off at the time he met Robin? And why is he telling his kids about his great love for their Aunt Robin? I actually think the Mother is dead in the future and he’s retelling this story to his kids as a way to tell them that he’s moving on and rekindling his relationship with Robin… This would in no way disrespect the Mother. Because, as we have seen, she had met The One also, but he died and it took her many years to move on from his death. There’s even a quote from her saying that in life, you only get to have One person in life that is The One and he’s dead. But then she met Ted, who was also The One. So, these nine years of storytelling is Ted’s way of moving on from The Mother’s death. She was The One also, but it’s time to move on, and she would have wanted it that way.

• LB says:

Robin and Ted together at the end would be a HUGE disappointment for me! First of all, over the years they’ve become almost like brother and sister. Robin and Barney have such great chemistry…way more chemistry than Robin and Ted ever had. I think all the hints that were dropped in this latest episode where just that, hints. To me, they were very obvious and deliberate and I think the writers put them there to lead us down the path that so many have speculated about over the years. The only way I can ever see Robin and Ted together is if BOTH the mother AND Barney were dead….and that would be an even worse ending!!

• Here’s my theory … people are thinking the reason we don’t see a future Barney (well, we do in Time Travelers and in Buenos Aries in 2016). MAYBE — since it was a girl rejecting Barney that turned him into the “suit” at GNB, perhaps, just MAYBE since Robyn caused him to love again, maybe the writers are doing us a huge favor by telling us the love of Robyn has turned him back into the hippy barista!

• Sarah says:

That may be the case but boy would that be sucky. “Hey kids, too bad your mom is dead but gather round, I’m marrying Robin who I always loved more anyway! Btw Penny, you’re not getting a car after all. Papa’s gotta buy a ring.”

3. Paul J. Reedy says:

That closing song was about death as well as being there in the dead of winter

4. Jeff says:

Totally didn’t even put that together…thanks TVLine

5. Brigid says:

NOOOOOOOOO!

6. Caiti says:

Ok with dead mom… But not as an excuse to reunite Ted/Robin!!

7. Nope. “Nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach” was the reaction to last season’s time travel episode. “Tears streaming down my face” was the only reaction I could manage tonight.

8. Eric7740 says:

OMG! The mother is going to die isn’t she???

9. Sheila says:

I can’t believe they’re really going to pull this on us!

10. gnort88 says:

No! No! No!
    I know that they’re just fictional characters but, come on, we’ve all come to love and care about them right? After literally everything that’s happened in his search for love, Ted is fated to lose her after only 10 years??? Way to kill the joy of syndication! Praying for a bait and switch!!!

11. TaMara says:

Doesn’t it seem like a bad decision? I mean, not only would it piss off fans, but wouldn’t it kill the syndication? I think a lot of people wouldn’t rewatch a show that ended that way. But maybe that’s just me.

• Ahoy says:

Definitely not just you.

• MG says:

Plus wouldn’t it make a lot of fans so upset they wouldn’t bother watching How I Met Your Dad? Yes I know it’s totally different characters but I feel like many of us would feel betrayed by the writers and not want to invest any time in another show of theirs.

• Olivia says:

This is why, despite having been a huge fan of both, I will never rewatch Dexter and Chuck. I’ve sold my dvd sets (and of course never purchased the final seasons) for that very reason.

• Chuck is a tough one. Definitely one of my top 5 shows of all time, but I can’t bring myself to open the shrink-wrap on my season 5 blu-ray. My head gets what they were doing and appreciates how they pulled it of. (End on hope, and all that.)

But Chuck was a show I watched with my heart, and I just can’t accept the ending. I’m not big on preconceiving endings to things, but with Chuck starting in season 2 or 3 I literally was telling people that it was the one show that needed to end a certain way, the hero, with his girl by his side (or depending on your pov, the heroine with her guy by her side,) riding off into the sunset.

So I’m holding out for a limited series, or a movie, or a TV special, or, hell, a six-minute short… something.

• Brandi says:

Holy crap.. Add Lost and Prison Break to that list. They all betrayed me, but at the same time, they all gave the ending a twist that I didn’t see coming. After watching all of those shows and being disappointed, I feel that it is perfectly reasonable that she die. I don’t want her to, but I have seen other endings that did similar things. I’m really sad thinking about it. As much as I think I don’t want her to die, do I really want an ending that has no kind of twist to the ending? I do want a twist..

• Not just you. If this is the case I’ll forever Craig Thomas and Carter Bays as two-bit hacks, and never watch another thing they touch.

12. Jewel36 says:

Nine years of waiting for Ted to find the one, only to have to watch him and their kids lose her? That’s just cruel. I’m not sure how they can possibly redeem themselves to the viewers in these last few episodes. I hope they try.

13. lariet50 says:

So someone check me here, because I can’t remember the year that was shown at the beginning of the episode. I want to say 2024? Which would put Ted at least in his mid-40s, and their kids still 10 and under. The timeline is bugging me. At the beginning of the season, I remember the episode where Ted proposed being dated as 18 months or 2 years in the future, which I found sketchy because according to a previous season, the daughter was born in 2015. Anyway. Why the heck am I trying to make sense of this show?

14. Chris says:

Come on TVLine! Don’t give into the fears! I expect this on the HIMYM wiki but not here!!

15. Lillian says:

Heck, I would never watch another show by the creators, much less watch re-runs. This is supposed to be a comedy. The signs point to death of the mother, but maybe there are too many signs and it’s a fake-out. At least that’s what I hope.

• Jewel36 says:

True….Who is going to watch this new show, How I Met Your Father, if they feel burned by this ending?

16. Nina says:

I will not accept the mother dying. Maybe Teds mom died before she could see his wedding? I’m going to stay in denial until I see a gravestone and even then! Zombies!

17. meghananna says:

I hope that since they made it like the mother dying seemed obvious that they’re going to go the other way… But that’s probably just wishful thinking.

• Alex says:

The writers made a clear nod to B/R-eventually-have-kids theorists/wishers in the last episode with that fake out. Ted mentions in an episode voiceover that Robin never had children, but yet people wish for it all of the time. The writers are not dumb; they are aware of fan theories. They also mentioned in their reddit AMA recently that they had heard about the Mother-is-dead-theory but that obviously couldn’t say yes or no. I think they easily could be writing toward it to fake everyone out. They are clever and want to surprise us. What’s going to be more shocking at this point than leading us to believe she’s a goner and then having everything fine? I’m thinking the writers are trying to fake us out.
      If I’m wrong, I will be so sad but I really don’t think they would kill off our titular character.

18. John NYC says:

That sort of betrayal and there’s no way in hell I’d invest in their new one. Zero. Plus couldn’t ever watch a repeat in syndication.

They may have gone there, there’s always that urge to top the last craziness. But I hope not.

19. Nicole says:

Hopefully, this is a reference to the mother’s mother not having been alive when Ted and the mother were married.. Seems too obvious for them to go down this route when it has been theorized for so long.

On a side note- shouldn’t the mother have known Robin’s mother was at the wedding, considering she was playing there?

• Carm says:

I hope this just means the mother’s mother was not alive at their wedding too.

• Lisa says:

I obviously can’t say for sure yes or no on theories I’m not a writer but they filmed the ending to the show very early on because they knew the “kid” actors would grow up… so far before these theories ever had a chance to develop.

• Nicole says:

Hmm, never thought of that. That’s way more depressing..

• Meg says:

Ted is alive in 2030 to tell his story to his kids. I don’t think he’s dying in 2024.

• could depend on what he’s dying of…

• Jaws says:

What if it isn’t 2030 Ted telling the story? What if Ted made something for the kids & the mother to watch after he died of something like cancer? He could’ve made it in 2024 because he was dying that year or in 2025?

• Meg says:

In the pilot the kids question Ted (“Are we being punished? Is this going to take awhile?”) and he answers them, so I’m assuming he’s telling the story in person.

• JLK says:

Those comments are exactly the reason I don’t think anyone can be dead or in peril here. Unless Ted’s kids are a-holes, I would think that they would want to hear about their deceased mother…or at least humor their old man while he’s grieving her loss.

• Bob Johnson says:

Keep in mind that the show’s creators filmed the last two minutes of the series with the then-teenaged children. So the answer to the question of dead or not has been cast in concrete for eight years (they filmed the finale scene after Season 1). They can’t change it on a whim.

• I’ve heard since it’s someone else’s voice (love that it’s Bob Saget, but I digress) it’s possible that it’s because Ted wrote the story before he forgot it, and it’s the executor of his will or something, telling the story. Although Meg’s comment about the pilot has me seriously re-thinking that theory.

• Tatharnio says:

But, does Ted seem like the type of person who would leave any letter in a stream of thought format? Like when he confused the story of the goat, or was telling the story of how Lily and Barny fought a year before it happened? Wouldn’t he just erase that out of the letter an write about it at the appropriate point in the timeline? The Ted we’ve come to know and love would NEVER leave such errors in it.

• Lisa says:

That was my thought while watching this episode. They were setting it up that Ted is dying. He is sick and she is worried he is already giving up on life.

Wouldn’t it put negativity on the Mother spin off series if you know when the main character will die ?

• Murph says:

Thats kinda what I thought too

• CNV says:

I agree with this theory. He’s got alzheimer’s or dementia. Here’s why I think so:
      1. He cries about a mother (or parent) missing a wedding. He’s afraid its him.
      2. He tells a lot of the same stories over and over again.
      3. Telling his kids the stories while he’s still sane in a way.

So freaking sad but I’m putting it out there.

• Delirious says:

Maybe my memory’s screwing with me, but… Didn’t they fast-forward in one episode to a distant future, with elder Ted, Marshall & Lily sitting on a porch, drinking [lemonade? or some other drink] and playing [some card game]?

• Jo says:

Yes they did. And they said the mother was in the house in the kitchen. Which makes me think that if anyone dies it will be robin.

• Delirious says:

TBH, I’m trying to find the episode online now, since the recaps don’t include a full description of the scene/dialog (and you know, out of US = no Hulu), to see if it was an actual flashforward or just Lily picturing the scene… But if it is indeed a flashforward, my bets are fully on the mother recovering from a potentially fatal illness, and this episode happening right before she starts treating it, or right before she goes into surgery, or whatever. As in, Ted crying because their kids can lose their mom if she doesn’t recover, not because she’s dying for sure.

• rachel says:

I completely agree. Ted is telling his story because he thinks he won’t be around when the kids are older to hear it.

• People assume that Ted’s reference to a mother missing her daughter’s wedding refers to his wife missing their daughter’s wedding. Have you considered that maybe the Mother’s mother missed their wedding because she died?

20. Em says:

This feels just too cruel. I’m not going to want to watch any of the show again if they do this.

21. Joe says:

As soon as I saw the look on Ted’s face from The Mother’s question, I knew exactly what the answer was. But remember, we don’t KNOW that she IS dead. All we can really surmise is that in 2024 they had reason to believe that she wouldn’t be around for Penny’s wedding. Which is still at minimum probably 9 years into THEIR future. It’s possible whatever terminal ailment she (most likely) has goes into remission/been cured. While it looks like Ted might be telling the story because they lost her, it may be that she just got a clean bill of health and he’s telling the story out of relief that they won’t lose her after all.

• Zed says:

Love this theory.

• aw says:

hooray for this theory!!

• B says:

Yeah, it was obvious that Ted was thinking of her missing their daughter’s wedding. But that doesn’t have to mean she definitely does die. The meaning of his line doesn’t have to change just to keep the mother alive.

• Justin Sturm says:

Problem with the mother being dead is, why would you tell a story to your kids about their dead mom and only include her in the last 1/8 of the story? Yes, there were missed connections and her room mate and other little tidbits, but if I am hearing a story about my mom I would like to have my MOM in the story.
      The story is abut Ted and his friends and the 9 years leading up to meeting his wife. I am guessing Ted is sick. He chocked up last night because he instantly drew a connection from “Mother missing her Daughter’s wedding” to Father missing the wedding.

• Tatharnio says:

Except that look wasn’t one of personal regret, that look he gave right before he started crying was sympathy, mixed with attempting to be strong for someone else and not succeeding. He wasn’t sad that he would miss an event like that, he was feeling bad that he thought SHE would miss it. And kudos to Josh Radnor for pulling that scene off so well.

22. Lariet50 says:

Here’s a wacky thought. Maybe they’ve been told she’s dying, but at the end when he’s wrapping up the saga to the teenagers, she’ll pop up and it will turn out she recovered.

• Bob Johnson says:

They filmed the ending of the show eight years ago with the actors portraying the children while they were still in their teens, since they couldn’t age. They didn’t know who would be playing The Mother at that point, so she will NOT be in the last two minutes. The producers have already stated that.

• Missy says:

We were also told that Michael wouldn’t be in for season finale of the office. The final season of that made divorce between Pam and Jim seem inevitable. I was also positive dexter would die. But producers like to lie

23. Matt says:

she has to have cancer or something. she said something along the lines of “somethings are better to left unspoken, and enjoy the time we have”.

• Tara says:

I’m holding out for the Mother is going to prison and won’t be out for 20 years. Ergo she would miss Penny’s wedding potentially.

24. Carm says:

It does seem like she is going to die. Sucks. This is supposed to be a comedy, Right?

25. Jess says:

I thought Ted starting to cry after “What mother doesn’t go to her daughter’s wedding?” was more confirmation than hint. Unless it’s a fake out, which I think in this case, would be too cheap for them.

26. Amy says:

If they do this I will never forgive HIMYM. I am good at holding grudges. I’m still mad at Gilmore Girls for breaking up Luke & Lorelai.

27. wasabi says:

Maybe in 2024 she’s facing a life-threatening illness and things aren’t looking good, but in 2030 they’ll celebrate her life-affirming remission/recovery? Please?

28. tara17 says:

If they kill the mother, I’ll be pissed. But isn’t the mother alive when Ted shares a “sandwich” with Lily and Marshall while visiting their son at college?

29. DarkDefender says:

Until the comment about a mom not seeing her daughter marry.. I thought the point was they knew each other’s stories so well, that they needed a new audience.. Hence the kids had to hear all Teds stories.
    I am now back on the mother is dead/dying train.. I truly hope I am wrong.

30. Lara says:

I don’t like the idea of the mother being dead but sometimes great loves do die. And it’s sadly sweet and romantic for him to share his story of their mom with his kids. I really hope the mom isn’t dead but it won’t ruin the story for me. 10 years with the love of your life is better than nothing. I WILL be furious if the mom is dead and he reunites with Robin. What was the point then? Robin should have been the mom all along

• bestshoeson says:

THIS is the possibility out there that makes me mad. If all of this is him telling the kids that he is remarrying Aunt Robin I will be sad. (As one not in the Ted/Robin camp). If it’s about the story of the love of your life getting cut short, it will make me sad but I will appreciate it.

31. Babybop says:

Please, Carter Bays, please please please don’t do this. PLEASE. I have given 7 years of my life to this show and if the Mother is dead, I will be crushed.

32. Cori says:

I think they’re throwing us red herrings to play up the hype on the theory she’s dead.

33. jenferner8 says:

I’d hope it’s a smoke screen, if the mom is dead then it’s quite a cop out. I would hope the writer’s would be more creative then a deceased parent.

34. Anon says:

No, I don’t care if it makes perfect sense, it would be too sad to bear!

35. Stacey says:

I think this episode all but spelled out that the mother is dying. There was so much not so subtle hinting towards it….the way Ted starts crying at the table, the song at the end and Robin’s grandmother’s story was not just thrown in there for the heck of it. That will be revisited. That being said I will be very disappointed if this is true. I have been a loyal fan since day 1 and to have it all end that way would feel like a slap in the face.

36. C.I.L.O says:

Am I the only one who actually WANTS the “mother’s dead/dying” theory to be true? It would actually fit alongside Ted’s character arc that no relationship ever truly lasts for him no matter how hard he tries (Victoria, Stella, Zoey, the mother, etc.) Furthermore (though I don’t really like this option because Barney would be ruined) maybe this would be a way (albeit poorly received) to show that all along, Robin’s been the 1 constant woman of his life (not counting Lily) and that they really were meant for each other.

• GM2K says:

You’re not the only one who wants the theory to be true. I doubt it will be but I hope it it. Honestly, I don’t want it to end any other way.

• partisan says:

Ted has always referred to her as Aunt Robin so I don’t see him ending up with her.
      No you’re not the only one, there’s always a few who want a “bold and daring” end which means they hate happy endings, but you are definitely in the minority.

• CandyCurses says:

I want the mother to be dead but I don’t think it will happen simply because it’s an American show.

37. Michelle says:

I am not 100% sure — but I do recall Ted telling stories of him/The Mother and Lily/Marshall playing cards (at a beach house?) in their golden years. The Mother is also as being present at a class reunion (don’t know what year). Ted’s mother is alive for the kids because I remember grown-up Ted (LOL – Bob Saget) that Grandma and Uncle Clint (? – Clive? something) being great grandparents.
    I don’t think she’s dead. I will hold out hope that the writers would not have people hang on for almost a decade to pull a Jump the Shark scene.

38. Adam says:

Too obvious. My thoughts: Mother is revealed to be dying but by the final episodes end, it’s shown she either recovered or is in remission and all ends well.

• Jaws says:

I agree with you that the mother dying does seem too obvious, but I still think someone ends up dead in the end because (at least to me) HIMYM has built itself up to be end in a way that doesn’t give everyone the clichéd happy ending.

39. thatdude says:

Maybe Ted just lives too much in his story, does not mean that the mother is dead. i refuse to believe we have 9 years of a sitcom that is funny thougj tired at time, i think this season was flawed but i cant see there not being a happy ending

40. Kk says:

Is it possible that the Mother/Ted had a second daughter and lost her/had a miscarriage?
    Thus meaning the Mother wouldn’t be at their lost daughter’s wedding?

Or maybe Ted’s mom died and wasn’t at his sister’s wedding … Maybe it was recent and the wound was she fresh.

41. Tom Charles says:

So why is he telling the story in 2030 if she dies in 2024?

42. Jaws says:

Here’s a theory that is probably wrong, but in my mind anyway so I’m sharing it ;)
    The whole story of Ted meeting the mother started when he met Robin. He then met the mother when Robin and Barney got married.
    So… what if Ted’s telling the story because Robin’s dead?

• colleennicole says:

I’ve thought about this theory, too.

• JLK says:

I’ve kind of thought that this may be his way of breaking the news to the kids too. He’s kind of upbeat because he’s putting on a brave face for the kids. He’s telling them how important Aunt Robin was to him…and to the whole family, really. And it’ll end with, “Kids…I’m sorry to have to tell you that Aunt Robin passed away this morning.” It would explain why the kids are impatient and snarky with him and his long-winded story. They just don’t know why he’s suddenly decided that this is the moment to tell all these stories yet.

43. E says:

Maybe it is Lily who dies.

• MM says:

Can’t be. Ted has said to the kids “That’s why every year, we go to Aunt Lily and Uncle Marshall’s for Thanksgiving.” It’s in the present tense, not “we used to go”, so she’s still alive.

44. Dave says:

I for one never came across this theory before this episode, and this is probably the first time I tried to look up community opinion about the show.
    A part of me hopes it’s not the case, but it would far from ruin the show for me. A dark turn doesn’t take away from the fun times of the last 9 years. And it would actually be quite poetic when you consider that the mother’s “one true love” died previously.

45. Kre says:

I was really hoping they would not go down this road and it really hit me in the “Time Travelers” episode last season that this could be a possibility. Man, this is going to be one depressing finale.

46. Eli says:

i might be a minority but i undesrtood the last scene as Ted crying because he thought about HIS mom. and i guessed that his mom died before Ted could marry the mother.

• Brooke says:

Could very well be the correct interpretation of that scene, especially if it’s meant to be a fake-out.

47. hope says:

They ended rosanne like that…..she was just telling a story and everything was different…but I still watch it

• JLK says:

Yes, and it was not well-received. Not really something anyone would want to emulate really. :)

• Justin says:

to be fair, the last few seasons of Roseanne went off the rails a bit and weren’t super well recieved. so how the finale was received isn’t really analogous to this show which is still one of the highest rated sitcoms on TV

48. sha100 says:

I’m not going to jump to conclusion the idea that The Mother is dead is so depressing, yes I know that’s what happens in life I just think it’s sad. I hate this theory but as much as I hate it the more I think it could be true.

49. Larry says:

Cmon this is a mainstream comedy, If I was a betting man I would bet she is not dead.