Tomorrow People Boss Justifies Marla's Lies, Previews John and Cara's Separate Lives

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersTalk about a mother of a secret.

When last we saw The Tomorrow People, Stephen’s mom Marla revealed herself to be one of the super-powered folk — but has Jedikiah been in the know about her true nature all along?

RELATED | The Tomorrow People Moves to Mondays

With a new episode airing this Wednesday (The CW, 9/8c), we took that burning question (and many more) to executive producer Phil Klemmer, who explained the extreme actions — like letting her own son think he was crazy when he started to get his abilities –Marla took to hide her identity .

Klemmer also previews The Founder and Jedikiah’s war over Stephen, Cara and John’s struggles as he moves above ground and the show’s chances for Season 2. Plus: You won’t believe where Stephen is getting some!

TVLINE | Marla is a Tomorrow Person. What’s her motivation for keeping it secret from her family all this time?
It’s a sad story. She basically had the most nightmarish version of a paranormal coming of age that you can imagine. As cruel as it might seem that she tried to impose a human life on her son even though it was fairly obvious that he was following in both of his parents’ footsteps, it was really done for the purest of reasons. She just didn’t want him to go through the trauma and the isolation that she had experienced. And it is tragic, because she was putting him on medications and sending him to doctors and trying to steer him away from the inevitable.

TVLINE | Does Jedikiah know about Marla?
Jedikiah does not. The bargain that Roger and Marla made when they got married was that she was disavowing her true nature, and that included keeping that secret from Roger’s brother… This is something that Jedikiah wasn’t aware of, and this has incredible special importance for Stephen [as a synergist]. We, generically, refer to him as The Chosen One in the pilot, but in the last run of episodes, we find out what that actually means, how The Founder plans on using Stephen and his abilities and why Roger had to disappear to keep that power from being abused by The Founder.

RELATED | Stephen Amell Sizes Up the Growing Team Arrow, Nixes ‘Jealousy’ Talk and Teases Massive Finale

TVLINE | Since Stephen does have these abilities that are at a higher level, does Jedikiah come to suspect that both of his parents are Tomorrow People?
He does, but he discovers it only after it’s too late. The back half of the season, the big question is: Who is Stephen to believe? The Founder or Jedikiah? You have these two diabolical, dangerous, zealot guys. The Founder [is] 100 percent pro-Tomorrow Person, and Jedikiah [is] 100 percent pro-human, and Stephen, clearly, is the keystone to both of their shadowy agendas regarding both species. Stephen will gradually fall under the sway of The Founder, and the big question is: What does The Founder hope to use Stephen’s powers for?

TVLINE | Could Luca still break out?
He absolutely could. The reason I haven’t answered that question yet is because I think the more interesting question is: Will the Jameson family be a version of history repeating itself?… We haven’t revealed whether Luca is a Tomorrow Person or not [because] I want it to drive a wedge between the brothers, and I want it to be a point of contention. Anyone who’s had a brother knows the rivalries. For Luca, [he would] wrestle with the questions like, does he want to break out? Do I want to be like my crazy brother who’s caught up in this life-and-death shadow war? Or do I want to be like my creepy Uncle Jedikiah? That’s a question that I’m happy to leave unanswered for a while, but we’ll certainly get to it.

The Tomorrow People Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | John and Cara are on the outs right now romantically and professionally, so to speak. How are they dealing with that tension between them?
Cara’s inheriting the mantle of running the Tomorrow People, in a weird way, has allowed her to understand John and the mistakes he made and the lengths that he went to to maintain tranquility and authority over them. So she gets to walk a mile in his shoes. At the same time, John, for the first time in his life, gets to breathe the air above ground… He gets to, for the first time, smell the roses and feel what it’s like to live life as a human. And the tragic consequence of Cara giving him the boot is that even when she comes around to maybe wanting him back, we have to wonder whether he’s going to want to come back. Because for the first time in his life, he’s living a life unburdened of all the crap that he’s had to carry for all these years, and we’ll see it bring him closer to people like Astrid.

RELATED | The CW Issues Early Renewals to Supernatural, Reign, The Originals and 2 Other Series

TVLINE | When I talked to Luke Mitchell, he said that the love triangle’s on the backburner for the second half of the season. But with John and Cara having trouble, does that open up a door for Stephen and Cara to reconnect?
You’d think it would, but at the same time, Stephen is becoming more involved with his work at Ultra and The Founder’s increased influence. There’ll be a moment when Stephen becomes more invested in his work. Eventually, we’re working towards a version of a kinder, gentler Ultra, and part of that is, Stephen finding sex, if not love, within those walls. So he and Cara, he professes early in the season, are inevitable, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t make a couple stops along the way.

TVLINE | How are you feeling about the chances of a second season?
I’m feeling bullish. I really do feel that, just watching this final run of episodes, regardless of what night we’re on, it demands a follow-up. Every episode feels better than the last, and there’s no reason to think that we can’t continue that progression in a second season. The don’t-look-back philosophy of the show is something that we would take a quantum leap with for a second season. I know there’s always numbers to be crunched, but there’s also quality to be admired, and the quality of our show, on every level, is improving. Every episode is better than the last, and how can you not want to see where that takes you?

1. Jim says:

I’m really hoping for a second season. It started out slow, but the last few episodes have put TTP in a good direction, especially the last one.

2. azu says:

The only storyline I dislike on the show is Cara and Stephen love story. It’s creepy and silly. She’s too old for him. I like John and Astrid together. Cara also deserves to suffer for driving John away!!

• Kaycee says:

She’s not too old for him. In the show there isn’t that much of an age gap. And the love triangle feels forced, I prefer Cara and Stephen to be just friends.

• jj says:

I agree Cara is too old for Stephen. He’s a teenager. But the same applies to John and Astrid, the age difference is even greater between them. I think the writer forget that Stephen and Astrid are teenagers. They had John ordering a drink in the bar/hotel and had the founder’s daughter hitting on him despite being in her mid 20s.

• Lena120 says:

I agree with the other commenters. You can’t really say Cara and Stephen are gross, because of their age then support John and Astrid. It’s the same situation. The only difference is that John might be older than both Cara and Astrid. I don’t like Cara with Stephen because they don’t have chemistry. It’s been forced since Day One. It reminds me of what they pulled with Jeff and Britta on Community. They tried to set them up from the beginning but the actors had natural and better chemistry with other people. John and Astrid naturally have a spark.

• Lena says:

Can’t stand Cara period. They could kill her off the show and I honestly would not care. I love the characters John and Astrid. I hope they develop a wonderful, close friendship.

• charissa29 says:

my problem is that Cara seems to have no chemistry with either Stephen or John. There is no sense of vulnerability to Cara that would make me root for her. I’m a John/Astrid fan, it’s true but not strongly. Astrid is just more oomphy than Cara. Stephen needs someone other than Cara. Basically, I wish that another actress was playing Cara. The girl is very pretty (CW rocks the pretty) but I don’t feel any connections from her to the other characters. Too bad. A more charasmatic lead would help the show. Sigh.

• X says:

You realize that makes no sense right? Cara and Stephen are creepy but John’s closer to 30 than he is to 20 yet it’s totally cool for him to date a 17 year old? I mean you are entitled to your opinion but you can’t call Cara/Stephen (22ish/17) creepy but say that John/Astrid (27ish/17) is perfectly fine. Because if Cara/Stephen is creepy to you then any other pairing with that age gap or higher is by default creepy too. Just saying.
      I am not a fan of either, but J/A is particularly weird. He doesn’t only have years on her, he has a butt ton more life experience. It’s not her fault, she’s a teenager and hasn’t been through what he has, but this pairing still makes no sense. J/A are creepy. Cara and Stephen at least having something in common. J/A are on like opposite ends of the spectrum in life. They don’t match at all and nor should they. Whether he gets back with Cara or not (hopefully he will) John is way too mature to be dating a teenager. He’s just beyond that. And Astrid is a 17 year old girl who doesn’t need to date an almost 30 year old man carrying endless baggage. I don’t understand the desire for this pairing to happen at all. It would be a really stupid path for the show to take. Bottom line, it makes no sense. And the age difference is really inappropriate, I don’t care if it is a tv show.

3. troll says:

She’s too old for him…..He’s a teenager in high school (16-17), she’s at least 26 and not worth watching. I doubt this show will get another season. The casting of Cara should have gone to an actress who can actually act.

• lll says:

I agree. Cara is the weak link, and they actually messed up casting with her. I would say the same about Stephen, but he’s coming around. John/Luke is the best thing going for this show, and the reason this show may get picked up for a second season.

• Kaycee says:

I actually like Peyton List… I think her character is a downer but she’s not a bad actress in my opinion.

• I also think it’s mostly about the writing. I liked Peyton in FlashForward and even in the early episodes of TTP. Unfortunately, as the episodes wore on Cara’s character got more and more unlikable. I can’t stand characters who are always bitchy and snarky towards everyone. She’s starting to remind me of Laurel from Arrow.

• X says:

Not a Stephen/Cara fan but she’s not 26. She’s more like 22 or 23. Her flashback showed her in high school only 5 years ago. So depending on if she was in her senior year or younger than that (my guess is either her junior or senior year), that makes her early 20s, so 22 or 23. John is the one who is 27 or 28. That version of him in his flashback had to be either 12 or 13, no way was he younger than that. And it was 15 years ago, thus making him late 20s, so 27 or 28. Sorry just had to point that out. But I do think John and Cara are just above these high school hook ups. Between being in their 20s and having gone through more than their fair share of crap in their lives, they are just way beyond dating high schoolers. Unfortunately we probably haven’t seen the end of S/C, but hopefully the show doesn’t make a similar mistake with J/A. Just keep them friends at most. They barely make sense as that. Romantically they make no sense on any level. John has more in common with and could relate better to Stephen’s mom than he could Astrid. Not that I want John/Marla either. Ugh, please no.

4. Joey Padron says:

Hope the show will get a second season. The show is so good.

5. Dmac says:

I can not stand any thought of Stephen and Cara, it is like we are being forced to want these two together and I just can’t…they don’t fit. John and Cara fit and these silly roadblocks with high schoolers is just creepy and takes away from the story.

• I think John and Cara have the chemistry and are a believable couple, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to root for them given how unlikable Cara has gotten.

Now, Stephen/Cara is just a fail on every level. I still can’t believe we were supposed to find it romantic when they were ripping each other’s clothes off, all happy-go-lucky, while Cara’s boyfriend of two years was away supporting a grieving friend.

6. MandaJ says:

The Tomorrow People is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I look forward to watching, although, I too think the Cara/Stephen thing is too forced. Even if I ignore their age difference. For me actually, Cara is the weak link on the show in general. She is such a judgemental downer. It would be nice if she lightened up once in a while. That doesn’t sound like it’s in the cards though. I vote for Season 2!

7. Phyllis Strickland says:

I hope this is renewed!! The only thing I don’t like is the spiteful Cara personality, she is grating to say the least and it doesn’t fit the show. She does things out of revenge, not out of good judgment. I just don’t see the chemistry with Stephen/Cara. If they go that route I doubt I’ll continue to watch.

8. Midnight says:

I don’t understand why people dislike Cara. I like how intense Cara can be. She’s the one most concerned about survival, the one who gets things done, the one who has a take-no-prisoners attitude. Sure, she isn’t cheerful or bubbly, but the show isn’t really cheerful or bubbly either.

The only character I dislike is Stephen, who is by far the worst double agent ever.

9. pep says:

Wow, I thought it was just me but apparently everyone dislikes both the character Cara and the forced chemistry between she and Stephen. I really like the direction the show is heading in and the story is getting damn good. I really hope it gets another season it would be a shame to end it when it’s finally hitting its stride.
    The ratings ticked up by 25 % last episode so here’s hoping.

10. The show has gotten better and better since the start, with more tense and action-packed episodes and more development on the mytharc. I hope it can pull through and get a second season, despite the current state of the ratings, the move to Monday and The CW renewing Reign, none of which is a good sign.

11. Scott says:

I refuse point blank to believe any mother would let their son think he’s crazy, and have him medicated, when she knows exactly what is happening to him. I haven’t re-watched the first few episodes though and maybe there were hints in there – but I don’t think so. Its also ridiculous that she would hide everything totally and then do something as mundane as stopping her date’s camera falling into a river. I think the show didn’t intend Marla to be powered originally and the cracks are showing.

12. Mari says:

I’m all in for a second season. I also don’t like the Stephen and Cara pairing. John and Cars are more believable but the way she’s acting, she doesn’t deserve him. He does have chemistry with Astrid, I’d like to see where that goes.

13. L says:

TV Line must you ask about the love triangle every interview? Its the worse part of the show and Cara is the worst character on this show and clearly dragging it down.

14. Eric Armstrong says:

I really wanted to root for this show because it’s my favorite genre sci-fi/fantasy, but the forced triangle, an apparent mandatory staple at the CW, and with a teenager, that made me pull back on the show. Am I supposed to cheer for a show in which your two main leads Stephen and Cara are the least likable people on the show? I’ll pass, what’s new on the horizon?

15. hallie says:

Honestly i love this show and hope they can pull a second season. As for the ages stephen is 18, astrid is 17, cara is about her mid 20’s and john is in his mid to late 20’s and to be honest i think we aren’t suppose to think about age similar to TO and TVD age isn’t suppose to be a factor. I think fans had an issue with cara from the begining and i think the triangle never pand out they way the show wanted which is why they switched gears to astrid and john

16. Amanda says:

What about John and Marla? I saw an inkling of a connection btw them, especially when he cooked for them….has potential for all sorts of dramatic tension on multiple levels.

17. JimC says:

TTP is not bad, I’m hanging with it. I hope it hangs for another season only because the potential CW replacements look absolutely horrid.

18. A.W. says:

I agree with all the comments the whole cara and stephen thing while john was away was gross but the part i liked was stephen and john fight. Plus its sweet how john and astrid are getting close but a romantic relationship would be a deffo no. P.s hope it stays on for another season.

19. Vanessa says:

To be honest I don’t like cara and John,Cara and Stephen , John and Astrid but I would prefer Cara and John. Stephen and Astrid are cute together.I hope there will be no love triangle.I have had enough with TVD,no more please.My favorites characters on this show are Jed,the Founder and John and I am hoping to see them next season.Jedikiah is so evil but I think there’s more to him.

20. keira says:

I love tomorrow people so does my mom we watch it all the time we don’t miss one it is awesome and does cara like steven because they are made for each other and cara is my favourite and astrid they are pretty