Was ABC's Mixology Hard to Swallow?

BLAKE LEE, GINGER GONZAGAIn ABC’s new comedy Mixology, which popped open its bottles Wednesday nigh, 10 single bargoers are looking for love (or something like that) over the course of one night, all with the help of their friends — and, of course, some liquid confidence. But did the premiere leave you thirsty for more, or should closing time come early?

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Before you vote in the poll below, a brief recap:

The pilot introduces Tom (Blake Lee, Parks and Recreation), the first single looking for love with the help of his best friends, serial-monogamist Cal (Craig Frank, A Good Knight’s Quest) and brutally honest Bruce (Andrew Santino, Punk’d). Cal and Bruce throw Tom back into the dating pool after his fiancée dumps him due to his beaver-like face. Ouch!

After Cal royally screws up a TV reference (he needs to binge watch Sex and the City and Friends ASAP) and Bruce dishes out some promising advice (“The higher the heels, the looser she feels,” groan), Tom decides to approach Maya (Ginger Gonzaga, Legit).

Raised as the son her father never had, Maya works at a sports law firm, dated Keyshawn Johnson (among other athletes) and is evidently not a very nice lady, calling Tom a “sniveling little bitch” after his cringe-worthy attempt at hitting on her. It turns out women don’t love when men reminisce about jean shopping with an ex. (Crazy, right?) There is, however, a heart in there somewhere — deep, deep down — as Maya eventually gives in to Tom’s innocent charm.

mixology-pollcap-2The Mixology pilot mainly focuses on Tom and Maya, but also looking for a good time is Jessica (Alexis Carra, Bones), a single mother from New Jersey. After meeting online and exchanging some very personal pictures, Jessica goes to meet Ron (Adam Campbell, Touch), a failed Internet entrepreneur who clearly can’t hold down his liquor — with Jessica’s red clutch purse taking the hit.

And then there’s Kacey (Vanessa Lengies, Glee), a bubbly cocktail waitress and one of the many ladies involved with the irresistible head bartender Dominic (Adan Canto, The Following). She briefly ends things with him, but quickly makes out up with him in the back room.

Rounding out the cast are Julie Hagerty Kate Simses (Wedding Band), as Maya’s newly engaged friend Liv, and Frankie Shaw (2 Broke Girls), as Jessica’s pretentious frenemy Fab.

RELATED Save the Dates: 55 February Premieres + Finales

Mixology serves up some knowing laughs and provides an array of physically attractive if morally compromised characters, offering up amusing-ish back-stories to go with them. But where will the show go once the 10 characters have met, mingled and moved on? One night can only last… well, one night.

Now let’s hear what you have to say. Did Mixology leave you wanting more? Grade Mixology via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

1. A. D. says:

Crap show…move Trophy Wife to this time slot!

2. schu says:

Turned it off after the first three lines…happened to land back on it 15 minutes later, took me only two lines that time to switch the channel. Oh how I wish Happy Endings was still on…

3. Matt M. says:

This is why Trophy Wife should be after Modern Family at 9:30 and The Goldbergs after The Middle at 8:30.

• David says:

Yeah but the only problem with that is it leaves out Suburgatory which is good enough that it deserves a spot. So they have to either cancel something or find another sitcom to pair something with on another night. Back in the Game was funny. It’s too bad they cancelled that instead of Super Fun Night. Mixology is DOA.

• Kristen says:

Perfect line up middle golbergs moderne family trophy wife!

4. Matt M. says:

Mixology and Super Fun Night should’ve been on Tuesdays at 9:00 from the start. Later timeslot, darker comedies.

5. Holly says:

I thought Mixology was pretty entertaining. I’ll definitely watch it again.

6. cjeffery7 says:

it wasn’t as bad as i thought it would be, but then again i wasn’t paying super close attention.

7. Scott says:

Comedies are normally funny. All this piece of **** did was make me want to vomit.

8. Cesar88 says:

I thought it was funny, like HIMYM meets Lost.

9. Tran 2.0 says:

Really hope Mixology won’t last that long and ABC knows that. Overall I would’ve give it an F but I give Mixology a C. Give it about at least four episodes tops.

10. Jodee says:

I actually thought it was pretty funny and I am not a fan of sitcoms. Will definitely tune in next week.

11. Et al says:

I can’t believe ABC squandered the Modern Family lead in on this garbage and Super Fun Night when they had potential hits like Goldbergs and Trophy Wife that could have flourished had they been scheduled appropriately. I look for Paul Lee to be canceled relatively soon.

• Tran 2.0 says:

Both Super Fun Night and Mixology are two of the worst new sitcoms on ABC this season. I wouldn’t mind that if Suburgatory gets renewed for another season, it should go back to have a Modern Family lead-in and not have a lead-in with The Middle.

12. Tom Charles says:

Um………..I wasn’t impressed. None of these characters really appeared likable, and the only one of the cast I recognized from anything was the waitress. Not impressed at all.

13. robinepowell says:

Didn’t watch, haven’t watched any comedies since The New Normal was on last season. Comedies are starting to die out.

CTV (Canadian network) bumped The Tomorrow People to their secondary channel, CTVTwo for this crap and now I can’t watch it. My cable subscriber doesn’t get CTVTwo and the person whose name the cable in doesn’t have the CW.

Sometimes I wonder what network bigwigs are thinking…….

14. Jon says:

Get rid of that annoying narration, please!!

15. Martin says:

Is Sarah Bolger not in the show at all after the first episode then. Bummer. Never heard about that.

16. Forwardad says:

Could be Ryan Seacrests first failure…

17. Ram510 says:

If this bombs (which it will) is their any chance ABC will let The Goldbergs finish out it’s season in the post Modern Family slot? It’s clearly it’s only chance for a freshman comedy renewal.

• Cynthia says:

If this bombs the Goldbergs is a sure renewal even without moving after Modern Family. The Middle, Last Man Standing, MF and probably Suburgatory (for midseason) will be renewed and 5 new comedies picked up.

18. GeoDiva says:

I liked it.

19. jim says:

They should have just stayed with “Happy Endings”!!!

20. Craig Hansen says:

Blech.

Seriously, blech!

My comment to my wife was, “This is like a really BADLY-written episode of How I Met Your Mother, written by a fan who just doesn’t get the show, and quickly rejected by Carter Bays and company…

21. Elyse says:

I already watch so much TV that I can’t waste any of my precious DVR space on a mediocre show like Mixology. It’s definitely getting booted from the line up.

22. Jeff says:

It wasn’t great, but then most of the comedy on TV now (all CBS comedies, The Middle, Suburgatory) aren’t that great. Even Modern Family isn’t as funny as it used to be, though it is better than most comedies on now.

23. Apples says:

Pretty average. The cocktail waitress was the worst. Didn’t mind the main story (Tom and Maya)

24. missteff says:

it was just okay, not really my thing…..

25. greysfan says:

This show was pretty bad. I don’t really have anything positive to say about it except that it may be cancelled within the next couple of weeks.

26. Dave says:

The commercials turned me off. I too only stayed for a line or two. Not a single relatable character from what I saw and yes it could be determined in only a minute for that is how shallow this show runs. Happy endings was much better than this pathetic piece of marketing trash.

27. Steve F. says:

I didn’t think it was THAT bad… though Maya needs to tone the bitchiness down big time.

28. Richard says:

Keep in mind that pilots/first episodes aren’t usually good. Seinfeld was almost cancelled. I thought it was really good. Not great but really good. I saw so much potential for future episodes. I really liked the feel of a real bar instead of a set.

29. Ray says:

ABC canceled Happy Endings for this??

30. Ram510 says:

I liked it enough. The Bruce and Maya characters were really entertaining

31. ABC previewed the first 2 episodes on their Watch ABC App, Took advantage of it and “sat” through both.Characters are shallow and always horny. This is from the guys who wrote Hangover which may explain a lot. It’s basically Hangover for the small screen.

Don’t like it, Don’t Want It. It bored me.

32. daviduter says:

already off my DVR schedule. Absolutely inane. Wow.

33. Looking forward to future episodes! Terrific cast, funny one-liner, good premise…lots of promise! anyone who has ever hoped to meet that “special someone” in a club can relate!

34. Just sayin says:

Made it through about 15 minutes then deleted it from my DVR. Completely crappy show.

35. John sanders says:

Horrible, just cancel it already. If ABC keeps making this stupid predictable trash they will get canceled soon.

36. Jorge valdez says:

So lame, written for stupid America. Could they find a blander cast. Cancelology!!!!

37. Sara b says:

You cancelled Happy Endings for this?!? Shame on you ABC!

38. sierra says:

I loved it and I hope they keep it. I don’t like last man standing or suburgatory so keep this one.

39. pops says: