Looking Renewed for Season 2 at HBO — Plus: 3 Actors Promoted to Series Regular

Get More: Renewals

looking05.jpgHere’s Looking at Season 2, kid!

HBO has renewed the Jonathan Groff-fronted gay dramedy for a second season, TVLine has learned. The pickup comes in the wake of Sunday’s series-high ratings for the freshman sleeper.

Additionally, three fan favorites who appeared in Season 1 as guest stars — Lauren Weedman (Dom’s hilariously acid-tongued BFF Doris), Raúl Castillo (Patrick’s BF Richie) and Russell Tovey (Patrick’s boss Kevin) — have been promoted to series regulars in Season 2. (Hmm… are we getting a full-fledged Richie-Patrick-Kevin triangle next season?) The trio join current series regulars Groff (Patrick), Frankie J. Alvarez (Agustín) and Murray Bartlett (Dom).

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

An exact episode count for Season 2, meanwhile, is still being determined (the eight-episode first season wraps on March 9).

Production will resume later this year in San Francisco.

Comments (60)

• Please please please let it be a 12 episode season. 8 seems so short, and 12 is not too long, so the story remains good. So happy it got renewed!

Comment by Tomguard – February 26, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the majority of HBO shows now a days are only 10 episodes so I expect season 2 to follow this suit.

Comment by JP – February 26, 2014 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! 8 episodes was way too short, unless they want to make it an hour show. Who do we write to about getting Augustin to be written off the series?

Comment by Shazay – February 26, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree! I can’t stand his character! He’s an awful friend, boyfriend and artist. His beard is disgustingly gross, and he seems to just use Patrick. I get most people have that type of friend but you don’t make them a BFF. Get that character out of there ASAP HBO!

Comment by Caroline – March 10, 2014 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by J Al – March 10, 2014 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Comment by Celia – February 26, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! This just made my day!!

Comment by Jared – February 26, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEES. best news of the day, and even better with russell’s promotion, love his character and patrick so much

Comment by joão pedro sampaio (@joaotc) – February 26, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its a shame that Augustín is still going to be a regular, he’s probably my most hated character on TV just now.

Beyond that I’m super excited for more Doris and more looking in general.

Comment by Liam Tait – February 26, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need a character like Augustin in the series to balance out the voices. He’s horrible but he’s representative of a lot of my friends. I dislike his attitude but what he said to Patrick about Richie is not that far off base.

Comment by Jose Arribas – February 26, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad I’m not the only one. He’s awful.

Comment by magicallysuspicious – February 26, 2014 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy right now. But I don’t like the idea of the triangle, why writers keeping doing that on shows?? And this case damaging even more Patrick’s character??

Comment by Carmen – February 26, 2014 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news!

Comment by Gyorgyi – February 26, 2014 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Hopefully Augustine doesn’t get as much screen time with the others being promoted to regulars.

Comment by Mikael – February 26, 2014 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just think the writing for Augustine has been bad. I like the actor.

Comment by davey – February 26, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely!!! Right now “Augustin” is supposed to be the character we “love to hate’, but I think he’s headed for a melt-down…and will become more sympathetic. Excellent actor.

Comment by Geoff – February 28, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For any of you who watched the original 1 Girl 5 Gays, the actor who plays Augustin looks so much like Michael Yerxa.

Comment by Bill – February 26, 2014 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, TV Gods, for the promotion of Russell Tovey to series regular for season 2…I’m loving his chemistry with Patrick and he’s hot as hell!

Comment by Dan – February 26, 2014 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, I have loved R.T. ever since History boys.

Comment by Huba Buba – February 26, 2014 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree wholeheartedly. The more he’s on my screen, the better.

Comment by Vetle – February 26, 2014 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about “Kirstie” on TVLand and “Broadchurch” on BBCAmerica?

Comment by Ed – February 26, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Broadchurch is an UK show, so it doesn’t depends on BBC America. Still, it is coming back for a season 2 this year!

Comment by αrmαиdo α. – February 26, 2014 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gracepoint will be airing on Fox this fall and it’s the US version of Broadchurch. At first I was hesitant however the same producer from Broadchurch season 1 is involved…aaaaand DAVID TENNANT IS BACK!! He’s going to play the lead detective again in the US version. They are filming it right now :D He took voice lessons to learn an American accent.
        I can’t wait!!

Comment by tigerfire2002 – February 26, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I sure hope those voice lessons have improved, because I heard is attempt at an American access a few weeks ago, and it was almost as bad as my attempt at a Scottish accent.

Comment by Thomas – March 14, 2014 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!

Comment by Henry – February 26, 2014 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome!

Comment by GuessWhat – February 26, 2014 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay!!! So happy! Love this show. I mean at least give it 13 episodes next season. 8 is just too short for a half hour show.

Comment by Lani – February 26, 2014 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I’m so glad Russell will be a series regular. I LOVED him in the UK Being Human. And Jonathan Groff is awesome. This show is great!!

Comment by tigerfire2002 – February 26, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Doris!

Comment by omar – February 26, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s my favorite character on the show by a mile….

Comment by Tarc – February 26, 2014 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I really love this show, and happy with all the cast promotions.

Comment by Adam – February 26, 2014 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! Great News!!! Thank you HBO!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – February 26, 2014 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew the LBGT agenda would never stop Looking from getting a second season…even with some of the worst viewership EVER. Not to mention the show blows….it’s a shame because I really like Goff as an actor.

Comment by Weezy – February 26, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The gays have been demoted to third place? Sneaky bi’s!!!

Comment by Et al – February 26, 2014 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kind of like how the heterosexual agenda keeps getting shows with straight leads renewed?

Comment by Brooke – February 26, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best birthday news I received in years! I love all the actors they have promoted to regulars and the show keeps getting better with each episode.

Comment by Robert – February 26, 2014 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I look forward to having my “must see” show of the week back for another year. (And thankful for the promotion of Doris!)

Comment by Keith – February 26, 2014 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me this show started out slowly, but by the end of the second episode, I was hooked. Glad it has been renewed.

Comment by Bill – February 26, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH!!!!!!

Comment by TL – February 26, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for the renewal!

Comment by Et al – February 26, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raul Castillo’s,Richie best actor and nicely drawn character on the show. I hope Doris’ character gets more filled out. I am not particularly taken w/Jonathan Groff’s work so far.

Comment by danin – February 26, 2014 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I def agree about Raul Castillo’s portrayal of Richie, and he has the advantage of Richie being written as perhaps the only character who is open & honest, as much with himself as with others. And it doesn’t hurt that Castillo is sexy as hell – when Patrick came out of the bathroom the morning after sleeping over & Richie was sitting there in bed playing the guitar – DAMN! I realize that the story lines are going to turn on conflict, so we can’t expect the three main characters to get their sh-stuff together anytime soon, but I hope the writers will at least give them a bit more self awareness, because that’s what I find so unlike-able about the Augustin & Patrick characters – it would be one thing if they were in their early 20′s, but anyone who gets to around 30 and is still so self-absorbed & clueless about the way they treat others, it’s hard to empathize with them.

Comment by Thomas – March 14, 2014 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been “Looking” forward to a renewal *ba dum chh*
    But real talk, I went from hating the pilot episode.. like legitimately sat there going ugh this is a waste of life… to thoroughly enjoying it and anticipating each new ep! I haven’t seen this past Sunday’s yet but overall I’m totally shipping Kevin and his boss.

Comment by Will – February 26, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaaaaaay! I love my gay boys.

Comment by rachelle – February 26, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes yes yes! Wonderful news.

Comment by CJ – February 26, 2014 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO should really retitle Looking as Trying. Trying to find love, trying to be friends, while the writers are trying to find a plot which makes the show trying to watch. New title, new writers, new production design for season two please!

Comment by SELBFAN – February 26, 2014 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!!!! Love this show

Comment by Daniel – February 26, 2014 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy….now if they could make Scott Bakula a series regular as well…his chemistry with Murray Bartlett ist lovely…(yes, that should be going somewhere but sloooooooooooowwwwwwllllyyyyy)

Comment by kate'shomesick – February 26, 2014 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely… but Bakula is the lead in the new NCIS spin-off…

Comment by Tarc – February 26, 2014 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m gonna cry…………………………… Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Russell Tovey promoted to regular!!!!! THANK YOU HBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mr.T – February 26, 2014 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAYYYY! And Russel Tovey as series regular! I’m in heaven!

Comment by paul – February 26, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad the show is coming back… needs to pick up the pace a bit. Plus, get rid of some of the facial hair!!!

Comment by Marc – February 26, 2014 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t count on it. Not a bit.

Comment by Tarc – February 26, 2014 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. It kinda portrays faithfully what it is like to be gay nowadays.

Comment by +1 – February 27, 2014 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raul Castillo is by far the finest actor on THIS show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by EB Golesbee – February 28, 2014 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Richie is best character and it doesn’t hurt that he is yummy to look at. I think Patrick is fascinator know so many he are like him,Like Richie says “just not ready” love the show

Comment by mark – March 20, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy about a season 2 that I could explode up to the sky!!! Yay!!!

Comment by Geoff – February 28, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Russell Tovey as regular!!!Wonder who’s really the real couple here.Either Patrick&Richie or Patrick&Kevin. I hope it’s Patrick&Kevin. Besides,the feelings between these two are mutual.Well,I couldn’t blame Patrick to have his eyes on Kevin.He’s hot as hell and I don’t care whether the feeling is just passion & lust. They can start slow before they really fall in love.

Comment by ella – March 10, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post