Looking Renewed for Season 2 at HBO -- Plus: 3 Actors Promoted to Series Regular

looking05.jpgHere’s Looking at Season 2, kid!

HBO has renewed the Jonathan Groff-fronted gay dramedy for a second season, TVLine has learned. The pickup comes in the wake of Sunday’s series-high ratings for the freshman sleeper.

Additionally, three fan favorites who appeared in Season 1 as guest stars — Lauren Weedman (Dom’s hilariously acid-tongued BFF Doris), Raúl Castillo (Patrick’s BF Richie) and Russell Tovey (Patrick’s boss Kevin) — have been promoted to series regulars in Season 2. (Hmm… are we getting a full-fledged Richie-Patrick-Kevin triangle next season?) The trio join current series regulars Groff (Patrick), Frankie J. Alvarez (Agustín) and Murray Bartlett (Dom).

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

An exact episode count for Season 2, meanwhile, is still being determined (the eight-episode first season wraps on March 9).

Production will resume later this year in San Francisco.

1. Tomguard says:

Please please please let it be a 12 episode season. 8 seems so short, and 12 is not too long, so the story remains good. So happy it got renewed!

• JP says:

the majority of HBO shows now a days are only 10 episodes so I expect season 2 to follow this suit.

• Shazay says:

I agree! 8 episodes was way too short, unless they want to make it an hour show. Who do we write to about getting Augustin to be written off the series?

• Caroline says:

I agree! I can’t stand his character! He’s an awful friend, boyfriend and artist. His beard is disgustingly gross, and he seems to just use Patrick. I get most people have that type of friend but you don’t make them a BFF. Get that character out of there ASAP HBO!

• J Al says:

Agreed!

2. Celia says:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!

3. Jared says:

Yes!!! This just made my day!!

4. YEEEEEES. best news of the day, and even better with russell’s promotion, love his character and patrick so much

5. Liam Tait says:

Its a shame that Augustín is still going to be a regular, he’s probably my most hated character on TV just now.

Beyond that I’m super excited for more Doris and more looking in general.

6. Carmen says:

I am so happy right now. But I don’t like the idea of the triangle, why writers keeping doing that on shows?? And this case damaging even more Patrick’s character??

7. Gyorgyi says:

great news!

8. Mikael says:

Great news! Hopefully Augustine doesn’t get as much screen time with the others being promoted to regulars.

9. Dan says:

Thank you, TV Gods, for the promotion of Russell Tovey to series regular for season 2…I’m loving his chemistry with Patrick and he’s hot as hell!

10. Ed says:

How about “Kirstie” on TVLand and “Broadchurch” on BBCAmerica?

• Broadchurch is an UK show, so it doesn’t depends on BBC America. Still, it is coming back for a season 2 this year!

• tigerfire2002 says:

Gracepoint will be airing on Fox this fall and it’s the US version of Broadchurch. At first I was hesitant however the same producer from Broadchurch season 1 is involved…aaaaand DAVID TENNANT IS BACK!! He’s going to play the lead detective again in the US version. They are filming it right now :D He took voice lessons to learn an American accent.
        I can’t wait!!

• Thomas says:

I sure hope those voice lessons have improved, because I heard is attempt at an American access a few weeks ago, and it was almost as bad as my attempt at a Scottish accent.

11. Henry says:

Great news!!

12. GuessWhat says:

awesome!

13. Lani says:

yay!!! So happy! Love this show. I mean at least give it 13 episodes next season. 8 is just too short for a half hour show.

14. tigerfire2002 says:

YES!!! I’m so glad Russell will be a series regular. I LOVED him in the UK Being Human. And Jonathan Groff is awesome. This show is great!!

15. omar says:

Love Doris!

16. Adam says:

YES! I really love this show, and happy with all the cast promotions.

17. Eric7740 says:

YAY!!! Great News!!! Thank you HBO!!!

18. Weezy says:

I knew the LBGT agenda would never stop Looking from getting a second season…even with some of the worst viewership EVER. Not to mention the show blows….it’s a shame because I really like Goff as an actor.

19. Robert says:

This is the best birthday news I received in years! I love all the actors they have promoted to regulars and the show keeps getting better with each episode.

20. Keith says:

Great news! I look forward to having my “must see” show of the week back for another year. (And thankful for the promotion of Doris!)

21. Bill says:

For me this show started out slowly, but by the end of the second episode, I was hooked. Glad it has been renewed.

22. Et al says:

Hooray for the renewal!

23. danin says:

Raul Castillo’s,Richie best actor and nicely drawn character on the show. I hope Doris’ character gets more filled out. I am not particularly taken w/Jonathan Groff’s work so far.

• Thomas says:

I def agree about Raul Castillo’s portrayal of Richie, and he has the advantage of Richie being written as perhaps the only character who is open & honest, as much with himself as with others. And it doesn’t hurt that Castillo is sexy as hell – when Patrick came out of the bathroom the morning after sleeping over & Richie was sitting there in bed playing the guitar – DAMN! I realize that the story lines are going to turn on conflict, so we can’t expect the three main characters to get their sh-stuff together anytime soon, but I hope the writers will at least give them a bit more self awareness, because that’s what I find so unlike-able about the Augustin & Patrick characters – it would be one thing if they were in their early 20’s, but anyone who gets to around 30 and is still so self-absorbed & clueless about the way they treat others, it’s hard to empathize with them.

24. Will says:

I’ve been “Looking” forward to a renewal *ba dum chh*
    But real talk, I went from hating the pilot episode.. like legitimately sat there going ugh this is a waste of life… to thoroughly enjoying it and anticipating each new ep! I haven’t seen this past Sunday’s yet but overall I’m totally shipping Kevin and his boss.

25. rachelle says:

Yaaaaaaay! I love my gay boys.

26. CJ says:

Yes yes yes! Wonderful news.

27. SELBFAN says:

HBO should really retitle Looking as Trying. Trying to find love, trying to be friends, while the writers are trying to find a plot which makes the show trying to watch. New title, new writers, new production design for season two please!

28. Daniel says:

Yes!!!!! Love this show

29. kate'shomesick says:

So happy….now if they could make Scott Bakula a series regular as well…his chemistry with Murray Bartlett ist lovely…(yes, that should be going somewhere but sloooooooooooowwwwwwllllyyyyy)

30. Mr.T says:

I think I’m gonna cry…………………………… Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Russell Tovey promoted to regular!!!!! THANK YOU HBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. paul says:

YAAAAYYYY! And Russel Tovey as series regular! I’m in heaven!

32. Marc says:

Glad the show is coming back… needs to pick up the pace a bit. Plus, get rid of some of the facial hair!!!

33. +1 says:

Cool. It kinda portrays faithfully what it is like to be gay nowadays.

34. EB Golesbee says:

Raul Castillo is by far the finest actor on THIS show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mark says:

Richie is best character and it doesn’t hurt that he is yummy to look at. I think Patrick is fascinator know so many he are like him,Like Richie says “just not ready” love the show

35. Geoff says:

I’m so happy about a season 2 that I could explode up to the sky!!! Yay!!!

36. ella says:

Yes! Russell Tovey as regular!!!Wonder who’s really the real couple here.Either Patrick&Richie or Patrick&Kevin. I hope it’s Patrick&Kevin. Besides,the feelings between these two are mutual.Well,I couldn’t blame Patrick to have his eyes on Kevin.He’s hot as hell and I don’t care whether the feeling is just passion & lust. They can start slow before they really fall in love.

37. Robert N. Moore says:

The characters lack depth. Nobody discusses college, or any solid subjects of interest. Richie is a fine actor, and has the best lines–real, deep, moving, worthy of identifying with. Please keep the series on. Just make some of the characters get more meat to themselves. I often feel I am looking at a straight daytime soap opera. Discuss some issues like acceptance, family, coming out (memories of), etc. But keep working on it!! It has great potential!

38. kylr says:

When is season suppose to be out????

39. So many characters in this show I can identify with. Even myself at times. I adored the first season and can’t wait for the (hopefully) very long second season. Hoping also for a more intimate relationship with Kevin and Patrick, and for Richie’s continued involvement with the season’s shows as well. He is very gorgeous and sexy.