The Originals Recap: Sins of the Sister

The Originals RecapThis week’s episode of The Originals didn’t just rattle the Mikaelsons’ family tree; it knocked it down, chopped it up and threw it in the fireplace. Have we officially passed the point of no return?

Relations between Klaus and his siblings were already rocky (to put it mildly) when the episode began, and that was before Celeste and Genevieve worked their undead witchy juju to clue Klaus in on a major betrayal from Rebekah’s past. By the end of the hour, Klaus and Rebekah were literally at each other’s throats — and only one Original sibling was left standing.

RELATED | The CW Issues Early Renewals to Supernatural, Reign, The Originals and 2 Other Series

ET TU, REBEKAH? | Klaus has been betrayed by everyone and their mother (literally) over the years, but nothing stung quite as intensely as learning that Rebekah — with her lover, Marcel, as her co-conspirator — used Genevieve to locate Mikael back in 1919, an act of treachery that eventually led to Klaus and his siblings being driven out of New Orleans. Klaus was furious, and with Genevieve’s willing blood in his system, he was raring for a fight. I couldn’t believe the force with which he was slamming his sister, though I was even more surprised when Elijah showed up and turned the knife on Klaus. Elijah really will do anything to keep his sister out of harm’s way… even if she kind of deserves to be punished.

I DO DECLARE | We all know Marcel is warm for Rebekah’s form, but I wasn’t expecting him to make a full-on declaration of love this week. When Elijah confronted him about his scheme to bring Mikael to the Big Easy in 1919, he defended his actions, saying that he was in love with Rebekah — and that he’s still in love with her. Too bad she wasn’t around to hear him confess his love; it might have actually made her reconsider telling him to back off earlier this season.

RELATED | Exclusive: Killed-Off Originals Star Joins NBC Drama Pilot Odyssey as Series Regular

HAYLIJAH’s MOMENT | Speaking of characters pining for each other from a distance, can we discuss that scene between Hayley and Elijah? You know the one I’m talking about — when she walked in on him, shirtless and magically tatted up. It reminded me of the time Bonnie had to take pictures of Jeremy’s hunter tattoos on The Vampire Diaries, only Bonnie wasn’t pregnant with someone else’s baby and Jeremy’s hair pales in comparison’s to Eli’s flowing mane. That said, this scene was definitely thrown into the mix to keep the Hayley/Elijah speculation going, and I for one enjoyed it immensely.

SNEAK ATTACK | Hayley was a woman on a mission this week, determined to figure out if Celeste was the witch who put the curse on the New Orleans werewolves — and once she got the answer she was looking for, she tracked Celeste down and took her out with a single whack in the back of the head. Who’d have thought the most powerful witch in town, capable of bringing Klaus and Rebekah to their knees, would end up falling to a shovel? (You literally can’t stop watching your back on this show for a second.)

What’s your take on this week’s Originals? Is there any chance Klaus will forgive Rebekah? Should he? And how about that Hayley/Elijah scene, eh? Head to the comments section with your review of the episode.

1. Amber says:

Rebekah deserves to be punished. Stupid Elijah

2. D says:

Klaus is such an evil guy but I find him the most sympathetic character, I feel bad for him

3. Chris says:

That was really messed up of Rebekah. I guess she gets a little redeemed for realizing the stupid mistake she made but still to call the one person you know your brother is afraid of and was abused by which only her and Elijah know was really shady.

4. Rachel says:

Ehhh am I the only one who simply doesn’t care that Rebekah “betrayed” Klaus? Yes bringing Mikael to New Orleans was a dick move but Klaus was no/is no saint.

5. Justin says:

Rebekah hasn’t done anything to need forgiveness for. Anything she did to Klaus was justified. He is the monster of this story.

6. christine says:

I think Klaus is a tremendous hypocrite. He has betrayed his siblings how many times? Exactly.

7. azu says:

Rebekah and her love for boys. She has a problem

8. azu says:

Elijah’s involvement with Hailey is actually disgusting and is a recipe for disaster. Of all the women in the world to fall for. Klaus might be a monster but his siblings can be pretty annoying too

• Amber says:

Its ridiculous and another reason for Klaus to feel betrayed by him. Elijah would basically be playing daddy to Klaus’ baby.

• Sarah says:

Urghh! Enough with the pouting Hayley. She needs to have the baby and just die already. So annoying. If she could stop pouting, posing and batting her eyelashes after each sentence she might just be a decent actor. Really dont want her and Elijah to get together. Feel bad for Klaus tho.

• azu says:

Thank you!! Everyone is quick to crucify Klaus. There’s something that Klaus said that touched me. His siblings are usually so quick to allign with others to betray him. Rebekah led him deliberately into a trap where they planned bury him alive, remember she was not even punished

• janet says:

Good point.

• Sarahliz says:

How many years did she spend daggered in a box? How many of her lovers has Klaus killed? And how often does Klaus pay for it? Oh, that’s right. Never.

Yeah, Klaus deserves a little payback. She called on Mikael to run him out of town, not to kill him.

9. nateddog says:

Can’t wait to see what Hayley’s gonna do with Celeste.

10. Amber says:

Klaus is sympathetic to me. He goes too far with most things, but his siblings seem to forever be betraying him

11. shuayb says:

Klaus is a self serving egomaniacal, despicable, a-hole bastard. I don’t feel sympathy for him. He has done worse, wrecked more lives than any of his siblings. He created Katherine Pierce. He killed Aunt Jenna just so he could be a hybrid. He’s just psychotic. Rebekah may have brought Mikael and destroyed the good times he was having but it would have happened sooner or later. It wasn’t gonna last. I’m glad Elijah did the sensible thing and stopped Klaus. I feel no sympathy for him. The only reason I watch The Originals is for Hayley n Rebekah.

• Kali. says:

That is stupid!klaus was killing her boyfriends to protect her not because he is selfish.& by the way we are not gonna to count how many people klaus has killed because rebekah has done the same.klaus daggerd her he didn’t call the most hated person in her life .she is as stupid as her parents & brothers except klaus.I can’t wait for klaus to recover & kick their asses.and I hate Hayley so much & she is not good enogh for elajia.he deserves better.

12. Robert says:

What Rebecca did to Genevieve and Clare/Celest was unforgivable and beyond cruel. The 1919 epidemic was a long brutal death that is mostly forgotten due to the advancement of medicines.

13. Marlene says:

Klaus is a giant bully and a cry baby. He goes around threatening and daggering his siblings and cries betrayal when they stand up for themselves.

I don’t care about Rebekah destroying his good times in NOLA. He’s been destroying her happiness for centuries.

I loved Hayley and Elijah.

14. Menzobaranzan says:

I feel for Klaus. You just have to put you’r self in his shoes. He wasn’t always a bad person/vampire. His life just kinda dealt it to him that way. He hated his father for wanting to kill him, because he was an abomination and he wasn’t even his son. His mother for having an affair which led his father to hate him. Elijah didn’t even help him when there father was suppressing his wolf side. Instead, Elijah helped there father chain him up. Don’t remember what Kol did. Then there’s Rebekah, his one and only love. The one person who hasn’t betray him. Of all his family members, she was his shot at an unconditional love from a family. That’s why he keeps killing off all of Rebekah’s boyfriend. He felt threaten that some schmuck is going to replace him in Rebekah’s life and that she will love him less. I know it’s a little selfish, but when the world around you is dark and there is only a glimmer of light, you will do what’s in your power to hold on to it. Her betrayal was probably more painful to bear than that dagger to the heart. And that look when Elijah stab him, damm.

15. martina says:

they are all complicated charachters but i do sympathize with Rebekkah (she is no saint at all but i feel pity for her), i don’t think she deserves to be punished, she tried to do what was best for her, and klaus, klaus is like a child that want only to be loved but in a really creepy way, he doesn’t care about the others he is supposed to love, he is like a really jealous child that doesn’t understand that the parents love all their children with the same love and this love is not splitted but always more and more. I do love this show, along with the supernatural story that is a story about family and love and hate and there is a lot of psycology in it :)

16. Naazneen says:

What a fantastic episode! Loved every single moment. Felt the Rebekah’s fear and Klaus’s rage and woah! the haylijah chemistry train just keeps charging ahead. Love it.

17. janet says:

This was a good episode! I’m still a little unsure what the witches endgame is. I realize they wanted Klaus to dagger Rebekah but they didn’t see that part of their plan through. So now the originals have the dagger and they’re all awake/alive. And physco Celeste got a shovel to the head from Hayley, using her preggo wolf strength. I feel like Hayley is kind of out on a limb here, is she going to do something stupid like try to make a deal with Celeste? On her own?
    Man! All these characters are scary and damaged, I really felt myself hating Rebekah but I agree that she shouldn’t be punished. Just when I think I’m tired of the siblings fighting they throw some gasoline onto the fire to make it interesting.

18. Sarahliz says:

I just have to say that FINALLY Elijah picked Rebekah over Klaus. It’s about damn time.

19. Jo67z says:

Great episode. My guess is Claus will have now plenty of time hyley and his brother,tough luck for them.I think genivievve. Will be an ammense alley to Claus,who knows maybe a little romance partner,untill Caroline admit s her feelings and come for him

20. divya says:

Wat abt d last scene……ellijah stabbed klaus.
    ……..wat nxt nw

21. cece says:

So much for elijah not picking sides

22. DavidSask says:

Am loving this show, so much better than Vampire Diaries, don’t you agree to those who watch both?

23. Mikael says:

Klaus daggers his siblings whenever they annoy him, so I don’t blame Rebekah for one second. Not to mention, in the 20s, she fell for Stefan and Klaus daggered her and made Stefan forget he ever met them. He demands loyalty but shows his family none. I personally am glad that Elijah chose to protect her. I like Klaus for some reason, but he comes off as such a baby sometimes. And yes, The Originals is FAR better than TVD.

• ClaireC says:

Agree! But on the other hand, in the 20’s when Mikael had shown up, we saw that he questioned Stefan about Klaus.. and if Klaus hadn’t compelled him to forget then he would have been killed by Mikael, thus giving me the impression that he erased his memory, not only for his and Rebekah’s own safety but also for his best friends! Just my opinion

24. Chantall says:

I feel for klaus he has been betrayed so many times by his own family..no wonder he turned out to be such a bastard its because of all the pain

25. Anonymous says:

Thank you very much, a++++++++++++++a+++++++++++++++