Memories From the Set: Legit's DJ Qualls Recalls Roles on Lost, Scrubs, Breaking Bad and More

dj qualls gettyA recurring feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs

DJ Qualls‘ copious number of guest spots over the past 12 years isn’t just a way to make a living – it’s a means of keeping him out of trouble.

Legit only shoots three months a year,” the actor says, referencing the FXX comedy on which he plays a 31-year-old with muscular dystrophy who’s getting his first taste of living in the real world.

“And I am so self-destructive when I’m idle. I’ll just sit and eat Cheetos and buy things on eBay. I need to get out of the house.”

RELATED | Carrie Fisher Lands Legit New Role

That drive has resulted in a slew of jobs over the past 12 years, including roles on Emmy favorites like Breaking Bad and crowd-pleasers like Criminal Minds.

“The beautiful thing about being a character actor is that you plug into so many different moments in pop culture over the course of a career,” he says.

On the eve of Legit‘s Season 2 premiere (Wednesday at 10/9c), Qualls looked back at some of his more memorable roles – including a Lost fried-chicken slinger and a Supernatural Winchester sidekick. Click through the gallery below for his take on some pivotal gigs.

Tags: ,

Comments (13)

• Thank you for posting this! I am loving this recurring feature. It’s really fun to walk down memory lane with a character actor and go “oh yeah… he was THAT guy!”

Comment by Lauren – February 25, 2014 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, that last sentence of your smade me miss “The New Guy” even more. Has it been really 12 years?!

Comment by James – February 25, 2014 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome idea and a good trip down memory lane. If you ever rope Glenn Morshower into one, you’d need 500 pages.

Comment by Pat – February 25, 2014 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s just not enough of DJ Qualls on our telly boxes.

Please, sir, can we have some more?

Comment by Katie_Mead – February 25, 2014 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hot pockets and Xena tapes! Love this article, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Comment by Meredith – February 25, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Qualls on ‘Memphis Beat’. That was a cool show, wish it hadn’t been cancelled!

Comment by Barbara Harney – February 25, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a great character actor! Always good to see him try a new role.

Comment by Lisa – February 25, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be The New Guy to me, I love that movie, it’s always nice to see him pop up on TV shows.

Comment by Steven – February 25, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping that the Supernatural spin-off would be based on Garth.

Comment by side3 – February 25, 2014 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him so much on Memphis Beat, that was one show that really wasn’t given a chance to grow.

Comment by Velveteen Rabbit (@dharawal) – February 25, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DJ Qualls as Sheldon… intriguing.

Comment by wordsmith – February 25, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to me he’ll always be the guy who was in Road Trip.

Comment by Isaac – February 25, 2014 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I had sex! WITH A GIRL!”
      That’s also how I see him.

Comment by Steve F. – February 26, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post