Pilot Scoop: American Horror Story Vet Lily Rabe Joins ABC's Alien Drama The Visitors

Lily Rabe The VisitorsAmerican Horror Story‘s Lily Rabe is staying in the terror genre, joining ABC’s alien-themed drama pilot The Visitors, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV, The Visitors chronicles a race against the clock to defeat an unseen alien enemy out to destroy the world using our most precious resource against us.

Rabe will play Claire Bennigan, a dogged Child Specialist with the FBI investigating a string of strange cases involving children and their imaginary friend “Drill.” Her intuition — and compassion into the child’s mind – are her “superpowers.” But when she makes the devastating discovery that her own son is in the Enemy’s clutches, Claire’s confidence as a mother – and Agent – will be tested.

The cast also includes Revenge‘s Barry Sloane and Heroes‘ Milo Ventimiglia.

Under the Dome scribe Soo Hugh is penning the script and noted video director Mark Romanek is set to helm the pilot.

1. so this means she’s done with ahs right ?

2. aa says:

NOOOOOO! She worked so well in the world of AHS!

3. Metoo says:

Noooooo! I love her on AHS!!

4. Fernanda says:

I was so pissed offf with Misty Day ending in AHS Coven. It would be a nice surprise if the final second of the show was Misty’s ashes moving and the audience could guess if Misty Day resurrected one more time. But Sadly AHS franchise should move on with other actors besides we always love the original female cast or how I call the show, The Jessica Lange Horror Show

• Joey says:

For basically every returning actor this season, their characters in Coven were by far a step down from the characters they played in Asylum. Even Jessica Lange as Fiona was a far cry from the excellent work she did as Judy in Asylum.

• Simon Jester says:

Agreed. I found Coven a disappointment overall… not least because it’s hard to build up any dramatic tension when characters can be resurrected at will!

5. Teag says:

People, this may not even go to series. And if it does, she may still guest star.

6. Et al says:

This will get canceled after 4 episodes. That will give her more than enough time to return to AHS.

• Gaara says:

This is what I think/hope too. There are actors that simply vanish in front of giants like Jessica Lange – and then there are the ones that shine more bright and are even able to steal the spotlight. AHS will lose some of its magic without her

7. Andrew Hass says:

That’s good for the actress and maybe she wants to try something else besides AHS.Plus The Visitors may not even be picked up by ABC.Plus is AHS even coming back for another installment?So maube Lily Rabe couldn’t wait around to find out if AHS was coming back or if they would need her because she got another offer.

8. Fernando says:

If this this gets picked up Liby and Jessica will be gone, I’m okay as long as Sarah Pualson is still in AHS

9. painter says:

Not entirely surprised. I sort of had a feeling that many of the female cast would be off to do their own thing after Coven. (Paulson, Lange, and Peters are probably the only multi-year contracted players) I also heard that Bates may have one more year on her contract, so she may come back.
    I guess the whole nature of the show is to let people do their own thing. Ryan Murphy practically adds to actors buzz reel with the nature of the show’s seasons. I guess the only worry about the future of the show is what name talent (actors and actresses) will be willing to go on the show after Jessica Lange leaves. I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear an announcement about that with somebody taking some of the reigns this season in preparation for their inevitable multiple year contract. ( I remember Murphy wanting Michelle Pfeiffer to do a season, so that’s possible.)

10. Linda says:

so is AHS coming back? when? it seems like it no more than comes back and its off again. also is there any scoop on the Bates Motel. i love that show. i know its coming on again here on 3/3 but will it be on for awhile or be like AHS and just be on a little while?

11. dude says:

Hope she can do both AHS and this.

12. painter says:

um AHS is coming back. It always airs from October to December and comes back for January.
    The show only has a 13 episode season each year.

13. Lisa says:

As much as I loved Lily as Mary Eunice, I’m okay with her taking the fourth installments. Make it more of a creative mix of s1, 2, and 3 players as well as new blood

14. Cool. says:

As much as she’s a standout on AHS, it really ties Murphy’s hands to have to always create new characters for the same group of actors regardless of what the story he has in mind might otherwise dictate. I mean, look at how little Evan Peters had to do this year. And even a lot of the supporting players, like Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibe, had more to do on the show than Lily Rabe this year. I just wish this new show sounded at all interesting.

15. theschnauzers says:

This one sounds way too much like Torchwood: Children of Earth.

And I doubt this can be better than CoE.

16. painter says:

Well after reading the Hollywood Reporter, I think that her roles on AHS have made her a favorite for casting directors for features and television. She is going to be in the last two Hunger Games movies, has this pilot booked, is filming a Universal movie with Jessica Alba, and just finished filming a movie with Tobey Maguire. I really wish her luck in the future, but will always have a spot for Lily as she showed everyone as Sister Mary Eunice, and scene-stealed as Misty Day.

17. Kaycee says:

It’s great she’s doing something new. AHS is an anthology series, it’s okay bringing back 2 or 3 regular cast members but anymore and it loses it’s edge.

She’s doing the right thing by trying out something different, it may not even go to series but I hope it does.

18. DL says:

This sounds like an interesting show, but I was not impressed by the writing on Under the Dome. So I am wary.

19. Phil says:

Gutted! She is my favourite actress and she has played two of my favourite characters in AHS. To be honest I’m not surprised. She was sidelined in Season 3 and wasn’t given enough screen time even though she was one of the most popular characters amongst the viewers.

20. Niejan says:

The premise sounds similar to ABC’s remake of ‘V’ (2009). Is this perhaps some kind of reboot?