Star-Crossed's Aimee Teegarden Previews 'Rift' Between Emery & Roman, Plus Major Atrian Twist

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Star-Crossed Roman & EmeryEmery and Roman may be Star-Crossed lovers, as the title of The CW’s new alien drama suggests, but Aimee Teegarden tells TVLine not to expect the couple’s ‘happy ever after’ anytime soon.

In fact, Monday’s episode (8/7c) introduces even more obstacles for the couple, both earthbound and extraterrestrial. And as if Emery’s relationship with Roman didn’t complicate her life enough, the aliens might just be harboring a pretty nasty secret of their own.

RELATED | Star-Crossed‘s Matt Lanter Previews The CW’s Alien Love Story (With a GoT Connection?)

TVLINE | Obviously, everybody’s rooting for Roman and Emery to make it work. When can we expect to actually see them together?
It’s a fun romance to play; it’s almost more intimate not touching than it is touching. There’s definitely hope for Roman and Emery down the line. I’m not saying it’ll be this season, or next season, but at some point, I think they’ll be together. I mean, there will always be ignorance from outsiders as these two people from different races try to form a relationship and cohabitate, but they have such a magnetic force between them that I think it’s inevitable.

TVLINE | I assume Emery’s dad getting Roman’s dad killed certainly won’t help speed up that process.
No, that definitely creates a huge rift between Roman and Emery. Now that his dad is gone, Roman is forced into a new role as the leader of the Atrians, and Emery is trying to get him to open up to her. She also tries to fix things, which doesn’t go so well, but there’s a lot of learning that happens along the way. Not only do they have to figure out where they stand with each other, but also with the people around them.

TVLINE | She also seems curious about the Atrian culture, in general. How far down the rabbit hole will she go?
Yeah, she really wants to know more about the Atrians and to understand what they’re all about. As the season goes on, she dives deeper into Atrian culture, and the writers definitely give you a lot about the Atrian mythology — who they are, why they are. Was it really a crash landing, or did they arrive on Earth for some other purpose?

RELATED | Star-Crossed Stars Talk Civil-Rights Issues, Crazy Fashion and Three-Way (!) ‘Shipper Names

Star-Crossed Roman & EmeryTVLINE | So there’s quite a bit we don’t know about them then?
You have no idea.

TVLINE | Back to the humans, I don’t trust Grayson. When will we find out where his loyalties lie?
You’ll find out more about Grayson and his secrets this week. He becomes an intricate part of the Atrian integration situation, and he also comes between Roman and Emery. His whole family has a history of being baddies.

TVLINE | Lastly, what’s something you’re really excited for us to see that we probably won’t expect?
Well, I get to do something really cool this season. Emery has a dream-like sequence where she actually gets to embody an Atrian. She learns a good bit about why they’re here.

Comments (19)

• “Major Atrian Twist” The men are actually the females of the species and viceversa.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 24, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is really pretty and her innocent look suits the role well. But I hope she won’t be the damsel in distress all the time. I generally enjoyed the pilot, the show has space to grow..

Comment by spindae2 – February 24, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree, she’s a good choice for the character. She’s also sparky and creative and stands up for what she believes – so no, no damsel in distress here. At the same time, she can be vulnerable which is attractive when mixed with bravery.

Comment by jack – March 6, 2014 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted to like this show and I did think Amy T. was other-wordly gorgeous, but Lanter was SOOO bad….I’m not sure I can take another episode to give it a second chance. And given the ratings, I’m not sure there’s any point.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – February 24, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also wanted to like SC, but it was difficult because the show is truly unrealistic. They don’t really have a reason to hate on aliens, and even so, it’s quite upsetting that the aliens are basically humans with a few more organs (which is also stupid). The whole show is silly, filled with clichés and the performances sucked. It had potential but was lost on translation.

Comment by Claudia – February 24, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please re-read your post and then apply it to today’s modern society keeping in mind a history of racial and sexual bias…and THEN tell us if you think it’s still unrealistic in regards to hating on other people. ;)

Comment by TL – February 24, 2014 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you, TL. I thought about race relations in America a handful of times when I watched the pilot last week.

Comment by MP – February 24, 2014 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Of course there’s racism and prejudice today, but there’s doing it in a rich and complex way that does justice to that history, and then there’s giving it a shallow, topical treatment just because.. SC is the latter, cliche ridden drivel that copies the civil rights era without really understanding it, that’s why it’s so silly and unrealistic.

Comment by mmm – February 24, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well said TL

Comment by relatableordebatable – March 23, 2014 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Having lived in the US all my life, the only realistic thing about the show was that there wasn’t enough hate going on. vastly worse things get done to gay folks all the time… being an alien? Heh… they’d get the scum under the bottom of the barrel treatment,

Comment by Tarc – February 24, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lantner was actually quite good here. Did you actually watch Star-crossed?

Comment by Tarc – February 24, 2014 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I fully agree. Matt acted thoughtfully, expressively and convincingly he got that mix between protective male and evolved ET, right! Also have to agree with those who said – there are such dreadful, simplistic reactions that go on to outsiders…in today’s world – its not just about the civil rights era and if you think that youre living in a dream bubble of privilege.

Comment by jack – March 6, 2014 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly I’m surprised they didn’t have Aimee’s character named Jules instead of her friend. Roman and Jules had to be intentional.

Comment by Angel – February 24, 2014 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless Jules and Roman are the real star-crossed lovers !!! Honestly, I think Jules has more personality and is more likable than Emery. Plus, she has a physical connection with Roman now.

Comment by dreamlife613 – March 1, 2014 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my god. I’m kind of upset I didn’t pick up on that. Could be because I could never remember Jules name. But thats so true. There is no way that’s not intentional! I mean star crossed lovers. Romeo and Juliet. Roman and Jules. Definitely something there.

Comment by Felicia – March 11, 2014 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show but I watch tons of other shows, I think if the writers decide to drag out Roman and Amy not being together its just going to be boring.

Comment by flower – February 25, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry I meant emery

Comment by flower – February 25, 2014 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me, or does this just seem like a reboot of the Alien Nation series from the late 80′s? Seems like similar storylines and issues. I must admit, I still think Alien Nation was much better done 25 years ago than this.

Comment by CDM – February 25, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • matt lanter when he was a alien he saw aimee like he know her when they roman go to lunch he talk to Aimee roman said thanks for anyway but roman dont talk to aimee because they can be together when roman talk to aimee friend he said we could talk laylr when aimee said what did he say nothing i have to go class

Comment by aaliyah – March 15, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post