Downton Abbey Finale Recap: The Rose Bowl

Downton Abbey Season 4 finaleIn this week’s Downton Abbey — sadly, the last of the season — Rose finally has her coming out. But neither the formalwear and waltzing nor even a cameo by the Prince of Wales can distract from the resolutions of the “Did Bates murder Green?” mystery and the “What will Edith do about her baby?” dilemma. And, frankly, everything — and I do mean everything — pales in comparison to the sweetness of what transpires in the episode’s last few seconds. If it doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, you are seriously broken inside, simple as that. Before we get there, however, just a quick plot point or two (hundred)…

RELATED | Downton Abbey Season 5 Scoop: Meet the New Additions

OFF AND RUNNING | “You’ll never guess what’s happened now,” says Mrs. Hughes as the two-hour episode begins: The Mrs. Hughes of Grantham House — aka Party Central — in London has taken ill, and both the Mrs. Hughes of Downton Abbey and Daisy have been called in as reinforcements. Which, frankly, is just as well since the rest of the gang is already there for the Rose Parade or soon will be. Trailing behind, Tom allows a curious Sarah to have a look-see around the abbey but — oof! — is caught by Barrow while she’s enjoying the view from upstairs (you know, where the beds are). The morning after, Tom tries to make sure that the weasel hasn’t gotten the wrong idea, and yes, it’s just as pointless an endeavor as you’d expect. “However you wish to command me, I am your servant, Mr. Branson,” Barrow responds (and it’s a wonder he doesn’t drool venom), “but I was not aware I was under orders as to what I might think.” Later, after Tom refuses to be blackmailed by the valet, Barrow tattles to Robert. (Not that anything really comes of that… )

FAMILY PLANNING | Since eight months have passed on air between last week’s installment and this week’s, Edith not only has given birth to her daughter, she’s also let the newborn be adopted by a nice Swiss couple. Hope they didn’t get too attached, though, because in no time, Michael’s almost-bride has decided that she is going to undo what she’s done and go with her original hare-brained scheme: Give the baby to Drew and his wife to raise. Luckily for her, the pig man — What? That’s his actual job title! — is more than open to the idea and promises to keep the secret of the child’s true origins from even his missus. (By the way, whether Michael is still alive remains a big question mark. The only new intel that Edith has learned in all this time is that, on his first night in Munich, her lover got into a fight with a gang of toughs. “A gang of toughs?” Rosamund gasps. Yes, a gang of toughs. And, from the way their hate speech is described, they sure sound like Nazis.)

RELATED | Save the Dates: Your February Calendar of 55 Premieres and Finales

THE PURLOINED LETTER | Out clubbing with gal pal Madeleine, Rose runs into her friend’s father, Lord Aysgarth, the Prince of Wales and his mistress, Freda. (Quite a hodgepodge, that table!) And it’s all cocktails and small talk… until Rose realizes that she accidentally tipped off that scoundrel Sampson to the presence of a mash note from His Highness in Freda’s purse. When the missive goes missing, Casa Crawley goes into crisis mode. Determined to help the prince save face, Robert hosts a poker game to lure Sampson away from home, then recruits Bates to forge a letter so that Rose, Mary and Charles can gain admittance to the extortionist’s flat in order to search it. Add to this chaos the wildcard that is Cora’s mother, Mrs. Levinson, and you can well imagine how exhausting it all is for the Dowager Countess. “I feel as if I’ve spent the whole evening trapped in the cast of a whodunit,” she exclaims. Worse, the Scooby gang’s search of Sampson’s apartment is a bust. Thank heavens quick-thinking Bates guesses that the cad would never let such a valuable document out of his possession — he’s able to snatch it from Sampson’s pocket while helping him put on his overcoat! Catastrophe averted!

A KILLER AMONG US? | Actually, TWO catastrophes are averted when Bates saves the day. You see, earlier on, Anna gives Mrs. Hughes an old overcoat of her husband’s to donate to charity. In its pocket, Mrs. Hughes discovers a ticket to London (which contradicts Bates’ alibi for the day Green “fell in front of a bus”). While I’d rather expect Mrs. Hughes to burn the evidence — she’d hardly blame Bates for taking vengeance on his wife’s rapist — she instead gives it to Mary to deal with. After that, both Mrs. Hughes and Mary seem to kind of bait the suspect (with accompanying ominous music to make us think… what? That he’ll kill them? Not likely!). Soon, Mary is saying that, no matter how reprehensible Green was, covering up his murder is wrong. BUT — thank heavens — Bates’ show of devotion to Robert and the family convinces her that it isn’t SO wrong, and she throws the ticket on the fire herself. Whew!

RELATED | 2014 Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning?

LOVE AND MONEY | In other plotlines, Mary’s men — “Don’t call them ‘Mary’s men!’” the widow pleads — continue their pursuit. (You didn’t really expect them to throw in the towel, did you?) And thus far, they seem intent on playing fair: Tony, of all people, reveals to the object of his affections that his rival is not actually as different from her as she thinks — he’s the heir to a huge estate! (Point: Charles.) Lord Merton continues his pursuit of Isobel. Lord Aysgarth pursues Mrs. Levinson for her money and encourages Madeleine to go after her son, Harold, for the same reason. Harold’s valet, Ethan, takes such a shine to Daisy that he gets his employer to hire her as his new cook. But since she doesn’t fancy either him or a move to the States, she encourages him to take in her place an eager Ivy (who so envies Alfred’s new life as an under chef at the Ritz). And, while we still don’t learn what it is that Barrow is holding over Mrs. Baxter’s head, she does at last stand up to him. Afterwards, she thanks Molesley, telling him, “Your strength has made me strong.” Aww…

DIPPING A TOE IN | Throughout the episode, stick in the mud Carson tries to decide where to take the servants on the outing that Cora wants to give them as a thank-you for all their extra work surrounding Rose’s presentation. Unfortunately, his every idea is duller than the last — so much so that it’s all Mrs. Hughes can do not to groan aloud. When he finally takes the hint (which she gives him) and proposes a day at the seaside, it’s a big hit. And as the season draws to a close, she’s even able to get him to overcome his fears of falling in the surf and wade into the waves. Maybe he’ll hold her hand, he suggests, for balance. “You can always hold my hand if you need to feel steady,” she replies. And, though he says she manages to make the offer sound “a little risqué,” it’s actually heart-burstingly romantic. Be sure and have a tissue at the ready for the last shot of the two of them, together at long last. Caring as much about these two as we do, the sight is THAT moving.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode — and the season? Did you feel like you got enough resolution from the finale, or were you annoyed that even Mary and her suitors were back-burnered for “The Case of the Stolen Love Note”? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Stormy says:

I’m a bit deflated by the finale. Loved the Carson/Hughes pairing, but the rest seemed strung out and a bit empty. The American valet was a retread from Gosford Park [Ryan Phillipe].

• Alichat says:

Gosford Park? Sort of….but Phillipe’s character wasn’t a real valet, and was a bit of an ass. I thought this character was a bit more entertaining…..he was well intended in most situations.

• S. says:

I think the whodunnit line from Violet was an inside joke about Gosford Park given Maggie’s role in it and Julian writing it. I don’t think the American valet was though. I mean what other kind of valet would they have? Of course he’s gonna behave as this guy did.

• Rich says:

I really liked the American valet. I outlined the social freedom of the US as opposed to the stodginess of British society.

2. jenn says:

The season was way too short! But I totally loved the end. Very sweet!

3. Jen says:

The worst episode of the season. I am bummed that the traditional Christmas episode is not forthcoming. However, I did love the closing scene! I hope next season is better than this one.

4. uh huh says:

Thank god that’s over. Hopefully they’ll find their footing again next season. This one was a huge boring disappointment.

• S. says:

This was the equivalent of a rebuilding year. SNL gets to have those and people rant but it works out eventually. Mary had to be in mourning and off the market for awhile so we didn’t get to have some of the more fun aspects of S1 with interested men around. If you think this was boring, imagine if Matthew were still there and he and Mary had nothing to do but fake arguments and letters and forced drama. There’d be no estate tax crisis, she wouldn’t be in charge of anything except through Matthew. Would we be watching them try to keep Rose out of trouble? Or deal with Gregson? I remember Matthew didn’t like what he was up to with Edith. I just can’t help but think there was more going on this year than there would’ve been otherwise. I know Fellowes was probably hoping to go more than S5, but if certain people decide to leave he might have to stop. Just think how crazy busy the plot might get if this is wrapping up.

• Christine says:

I agree. This was a very limp season. Perhaps “Matthew” leaving the series really threw a wrench into Fellowes’ story arc, and what we witnessed in season 4 was his attempt at recovery. Nothing has been more dull than Mary’s suitors … I can’t help to wonder wistfully what this season would have been like had Matthew lived :-( And, the season finale was very poorly strung together – a big disappointment. Ah, well … I expect much better for season 5!

5. Lillian says:

I’m surprised at how much I came to love Harold. He was the epitome of the Ugly American, and then he wasn’t (at least to me). I still don’t like Mrs. Levinson, though. Of course the “toughs” were Nazis, especially with the description of them wearing brown shirts. I’m afraid Mary’s looking a bit mercenary, now that she knows Charles isn’t a commoner. Reminds me of when she felt like she didn’t have to marry Matthew when her mother was expecting another baby. And just when I was thinking she had turned into a near-saint this season.

• ben says:

Completely agree that Harold (and his scenes with Madeleine) were great. He was not at all what I was anticipating him to be. I think the main problem with Mrs Levinson is that she does not belong – she seems far too plastic and feels (to me) far more like an actress than a genuine character. Though I found her more bearable this time – just.

• Stormy says:

ITA. Fellowes was kinder with her character this time, or maybe less harsh would be closer to the mark. She’s still rather garishly made up and dressed IMO.

• S. says:

Mary’s not suddenly liking Charles because of the estate though. She already seemed to and was kind of sad it seemed to think of him as on the other side, in the case a group of people who don’t like or understand the aristocracy and who wouldn’t care if they all fell apart tomorrow. He actually does get them because he is one, he just has new ideas of how to move forward. She didn’t know that before. Mary thought he’d be trying to bring down people like her, making her job of trying to save Downton harder. I don’t blame her for be concerned that someone that seemed opposed to the aristocracy might not work as hard as they could to make sure she kept Downton for George. We all saw how she reacted when she thought Matthew wasn’t on their side, that he was willing to let the estate go because he felt he didn’t deserve that money. She almost called off the wedding to the love of her life (at least the human love of her life), in the end deciding to try to have her cake and eat it too but she has no need to do that with someone who’s not Matthew. She doesn’t have that kind of history with the new suitors. Downton’s the other love of her life and she’ll defend it even if she had feelings for Blake. Now with his potential estate in Ulster–and we still don’t know if he’ll lose it in 1925–she knows he gets where she’s coming from and in theory would have to find a way to support an estate himself one day. They can argue and he can challenge her, but he’s coming from a position of knowing that life and still taking issue with it. Really it carries more weight. I respect him all the more for that.

• Plum says:

Ditto, I expected another over the top American, but Paul G. was subtle and just terrific.

• gregk says:

Giamatti was great. The recapper did not mention his name, maybe unsure of the spelling (just a joke, had to look it up myself to be sure). He plays memorable roles and so well.

• Marc says:

Giamatti’s Harold makes me sad we’ll never see Isidore Levinson, unless they make the wedding prequel they talked about in 2012. I still see Dustin Hoffman in the role, even if it’s just a photograph on Martha’s nightstand.

6. Alichat says:

Gotta say, I’m not a fan of Miss Bunting. She reminds me too much of Edna….without the con artist bits of course. But frankly I’m sick of people trying to make Tom feel bad for loving Sybil’s family and considering them his own family. I would like it if she challenged him without insulting him and the family. And considering his history, why would anyone in that family believe Thomas’ moments of concern are noble in anyway? I was rather bothered that Robert felt it was necessary to question Tom. I’d prefer he’d have said to Thomas ‘I don’t see that as a reason for concern. I have no doubt Tom was not doing anything out of sorts.’…..or something like that.

• Lecholls says:

I can’t stand Miss Bunting. Or Edna. Why does Tom attract all these horrible women?

So glad that Alfred and Ivy are gone. Good riddance to that endless storyline. I wouldn’t mind if Bates left either.

I used to be enthralled by Mary and her stories, but I’m pretty bored by all of her “suitors.”

Thank goodness for Violet, Carson, and Mrs Hughes. They always bring it.

• Eye says:

couldn’t agree more

• Scott says:

I like Miss Bunting. I like that Tom’s relationship with the Crawleys will make her re-evaluate her own feelings.

• Alichat says:

I hope that is the case. I would like it if she learned some manners and decided it might be nice to show Tom some respect.

• What I loved was Violet telling Tom these are his people now. We know that Violet is on Tom’s side. He needs to accept his “lot” has changed and find him another fancy woman.

• Granny Eileen says:

I feel exactly the same way aboaut Miss Bunting. I couldn’t stand the way she was trying to make Tom feel inferior to the family. And I wish Robert had handled Thomas the way you suggested too.

7. Nina says:

This entire season was a letdown for me!

• The build-up to the finale would not have been so disappointing had the finale not been so empty. What a contrived piece of crap. Bates is suddenly a criminal mastermind, able to get away with forgery and murder, but dumb enough to leave the only evidence AND most damning evidence of his trip to London in his coat pocket…he who has a maid for a wife? I found that so absolutely preposterous in every way that the other storylines, most of which were equally lame, weren’t as terrible in comparison. Mary considers doing something about the murder until Bates commits another in service to the family(Not to mention the crime Mary and co committed by entering the man’s premises)? Also ridiculous.

• Stormy says:

Deus ex machina. It would be second nature for Anna to go through the pockets of any clothing destined to be discarded or donated. For that matter it would be more likely for Bates to ditch it at the train staion before going home.

8. Nellis says:

I really liked this season with the moving forward in time and would love see Mary and Tom together before the wwll comes . My favorite mini series, as I call then, ever! Looking forward to more next season!

• Stormy says:

The idea of Mary and Tom together is repugnant to me. And WWII would make George ready to be in the army himself. Yes, I know there was conflict between England and Germany in the 30s, but it wasn’t a world war until the USA was involved. it was “The war in Europe” until Dec. of 1941 and that would make George 19 years old.

• Fred says:

It wasn’t a world war until the US (finally) got involved? ?? So all those European , Asian and Commonwealth countries fighting and dying weren’t part of the world?

• Stormy says:

Don’t misunderstand me. Until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the America’s [ North America and South America] were not in it beyond the U.S. Lend Lease policy with Britain. When we declared war against Japan, Germany as an Axis power declared war against the U.S,. We, in turn, declared war against Germany. It wasn’t called a World War until Dec. 1941.

• Lady Coco says:

What an insulting and ignorant statement, one that not only reinforces the arrogant American stereotype people throughout the world have unfortunately become accustomed to – but worse – one that diminishes the deaths, torture and tragedy of millions of people throughout the world caught up in the world war prior to December 1941. (Note my use of the word “world”. That’s all the other massive sections of the globe that aren’t in America, you know, the World?)

Whatever narrow, US only definition your countrymen may or may not have given World War II prior to US involvement, I can assure that historically, morally and factually – the other 4 billion people on the planet at the time called it, and were caught up in, a world war.

I certainly hope you don’t watch Downton for the historical accuracy then, you may find a great deal of it not to your blinkered, uninformed American-only view.

• Sarah Elias says:

Lady Coco, why are you arguing with historical fact? It’s true – the war wasn’t called a World War until America joined. You may not like it, you may be offended by it; but you should take that up with the people of that generation who in 1939-1941 didn’t see things quite the way you see them in 2014.

9. Lillian says:

Also, after what Bates did for Thomas, how the hell is he still such an ass? Did I miss something in the first episode or 2 (which I wasn’t able to watch)? He should be bending over backwards trying to be a loyal, honest employee of the house and if not friendly towards Bates and Anna, definitely not scheming against them. I’m very disappointed in how they just threw away the dramatic storyline and reverted him back to the scheming jerk.

• S. says:

He still personally hates Bates. Too much went down for him to be a fan or vice versa. Thomas is an ambitious guy and always has been. I think he also hates that in spite of the drama, Bates helped him out. Thomas is mad that he had to be in debt to an enemy. He resents Tom getting to play the role of an upstairs person probably for that reason. If he’d been in Tom’s place, he’d be a tyrant. We saw it when he was in charge of the convalescent home/Downton. I just wonder what’ll happen to Baxter next season and what’ll happen if Thomas finds out what happened to Anna.

10. Luli101 says:

I have really enjoyed this season, even though I wasn’t sure I would. I like where everyone is now. It’s a much better place to leave them than last season. The Anna/Bates storyline I could have done without, but otherwise I loved it.

11. PS says:

I wish Mrs. Hughes had burned the ticket herself, not take it to Mary for her to decide. Now, Mary has more information than she needs and it will probably come to be bad for Bates at some point.

The American valet was a twit, as is Edith. Levinson’s presence was pointless. As much as I hate Barrow, at least he is staying true to his scheming, opportunistic self. Violet was wonderful as always, even with her horror at having to travel without a maid! I did love Mary’s line; “I don’t mind lying.”

I will continue to watch until the series is over, but it is no longer a ‘must see’ show for me.

12. Kathleen W says:

Downton has at least one more season (http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/16639/20140221/downton-abbey-season-5-spoilers-twins-cast-to-play-edith-baby-daughter-filming-begins-with-new-cast-members.htm). And it’s not an American show, so don’t expect an ending with all of the loose ends tied up like a little bow (think more Sopranos than Lost…thank goodness…Lost’s ending was atrocious).

13. J3 says:

When Hughes said “You can always hold my hand if you need to feel steady”. It touched me. When she followed up basically saying “what if it does sound risque” I loved it!

14. I loved the “Steal Back The Letter!” shenanigans. It was fun and added a bit of mischief. I wish they’d give Tom a love interest…a GOOD love interest, not the condescending teacher. He was fun when he was in love with Sybil. It would be interesting to see him pursue someone else and watch how the family deals with another woman in Baby Sybil’s life.

15. Stormy says:

Does anyone other than myself think that Edith is actually Rosamund’s daughter? It makes sense that she found herself unmarried and with child and that Robert and Cora took Edith to avoid scandal. That would explain why Edith never felt as loved as her “sisters”.

• uh huh says:

I had that thought, too. She also looks like Rosamund, and nothing like any of her family. But sadly, I no longer have any faith that Julian Fellowes, would have planned something like that far in advance.

• Znachki says:

I hadn’t had that thought, but Lady Rosamund’s reaction to Lady Edith’s “you’ve never been a mother” comment does sort of make you wonder if, in fact, LR did at least have a child under similar circumstances.

• Christine says:

I agree that it is a possibility – or, as you state, at the very least Rosamund did have a child that is not known and/or spoken of …

• reannring says:

Hm, hadn’t thought of that … great insight. Was thinking this past season how much she does NOT favor either her mother or father … that could be a great twist!

16. TamCat says:

Does anyone else notice the lack of chemistry between Mary and Charles? There is definite chemistry in the scenes where Mary and Tony are together. I’m hoping Mary doesn’t choose Charles just because he’s going to ‘come into money’.
    LOVED the Carson/Mrs. Hughes scene at the end!!
    Overall, the finale didn’t feel like a finale at all, more like a regular episode to me.

17. Jeff says:

Mary went through the same “do I say anything to the authorities about Bates” quandary last week when she asked one of her suitors a hypothetical question about it, and she decided then not to do anything. Why does the train ticket make her rehash this again? I really hope they don’t go into this next season.

18. jennyquack says:

I’ve felt sympathy for Edith this season but, being an adoptive parent myself, I was really angry when she decided to take ‘her’ child away from the adoptive parents and bring her close to home. I had hoped that Tom would marry her and then she could have kept her child. In a way, I think she’d earn respect/sympathy/feeling of any kind from Mary if she knew. Also, having a problem keeping track of Mary’s ‘men’. They both have brown hair and I can’t keep them straight. Would love to know what Barrow has over what’s-her-name. Was pretty bored about the Americans visiting, but is WAS great that Cora’s mom put Violet in her place. Oh…loved Violet’s compassion with Edith; pretty progressive Dowager!

• Stormy says:

The only good thing IMO about Edith wrenching the baby back from the Schraders is that she can’t be more than a few months old and will not remember it. Not that that helps the Schraders.
      I hope they never hook Branson up with either of the remaining Crawley sisters. That would put them all beyond the pale[ both aristocratic sisters marrying the same chauffeur?].
      About keeping the two suitors straight: Tony Gillingham, the impoverished sort of engaged one, has nearly black hair, looks mediterranean [though he's Welsh] and is taller than Mary. Charles Blake the one fixing the farm policy has lighter hair and is only just the same height as Mary.
      I’m thinking that Violet is compassionate because she’s seen it before with Rosamund, the result being Edith who IMO is Rosamund’s daughter. JMO

• MiaB says:

Ohhh, wouldn’t that be awesome, Stormy. For Edith to be Rosamund’s daughter. I also thought Rosamund had been pregnant before, and that’s why she went through so much to help Edith, but now I will be disappointed if Edith is not her daughter. I hope that’s the big reveal in Season 5. And that would make sense as to why Violet has been so kind about it.

19. MiaB says:

I really hate where they’ve taken Thomas’s character this season, After last season, I thought they had softened up a bit on him, but for no reason whatsoever, they just make him an even worse jerk. I especially don’t like or believe the storyline of him hating Tom Branson. All Thomas talks about is how much he liked and respected Sybil, so now he’s doing everything he can to hate on her widower??? Makes no sense, not believable at all.

• uh huh says:

The reason was that, with the departure of the woman who played O’Brien, they needed a villain. And Thomas was it, despite all the time they’d spent last season redeeming his character. I guess they thought we wouldn’t remember.

• gdv says:

I agree, they really should’ve found more for him to do rather than just scheming. It made sense at the beginning of the season when he started hating the nurse maid (governess?) and—rightly, in the end—got her dismissed. But the rest of it was silly. Thomas shouldn’t be reduced to the “villain” after all we’ve seen him go through. And now that he’s under butler, why should he scheme? He’s already at the top!

I also wonder why Edith doesn’t have more suitors? I know she’s supposed to be the dowdy/mean sister—but with her money and title you’d think some good-looking younger men would be interested.

My hopes for next season are:
      1. Get more for Thomas to do (not scheming!)
      2. Get a GOOD love interest for Branson
      3. Have a happy/uplifting storyline for Edith (for once)

20. The Beach says:

I assume that this Prince and his commoner mistress were supposed to actually be a younger Duke and Duchess of Windsor (the king that gave up his throne to marry the American divorcee)? After the letter was discovered, Mary (I think) said that this would probably not be the last time he embarrassed the royals.

21. Plum says:

I love Edith, but why does that hot farmer have to be married, can’t he be a widower? Edith needs a big love, stat. And not the dandies that Mary attracts, that handsome pig man will do just fine.

• Stormy says:

And what, exactly, would Edith have in common with a farmer? She’s obviously smart enough to write for a newspaper what would she and the farmer have to talk about? Woman’s Suffrage? The London Season? Which country on the continent to vacation in? Medieval architecture? Which sow will farrow first?

• uh huh says:

You have forgotten that during the war she helped someone out at a farm (and learned to drive!), and quite enjoyed herself.

• Stormy says:

That was a boredom driven diversion for several hours a week, not a life together with the farmer. And it was partially because Sybil was so motivated and Edith felt useless.

22. herman1959 says:

I enjoyed the finale but, like others, was uncomfortable with the cliff hanger aspect of it. Evidently, this is what we get when an additional season has been confirmed, and it also explains why this was not the “Christmas episode” resolution that we were expecting.

I do appreciate the fact that some old, and less interesting, characters are being weeded out to make room for some new ones. I really liked Harold and I would love to see him back next season. Maybe he could rent a townhouse in London (without Mother).

23. Lisa Edmond says:

I want to see the Crawleys come to America. That would be a great storyline! Have Edith swept off her feet by some dashing Yank, or Tom meet fabulous flapper and get the pep put back in his step! anybody else with me?

24. Gayle says:

I hope season five is better. The whole idea that Mary would have 3 men courting her seems absurd. This was after the war and men in this age group would have had women lining up for their attention! The idea she would have three to string along is jumping the shark IMHO. The same logic follows with Tom, why would he give the buck toothed teacher Sarah bunting the time of day? He would have had his pick of fair maidens! I am hoping JF will give his full attention to writing season five and whatever his distraction was during season four is gone. Glad Ivy and Alfred are gone too. His characterization of Mrs. Levison is an over the top of an ugly American and insulting. But other then that I love the show!

• Stormy says:

It has rather turned into 31 characters in search of an author. I’d like to see Thomas find love, Mrs. Patmore get together with Daisy’s father-in-law, Isobel get together with Dr. Clarkson, and Carson stop being such a stuffed shirt [he's too droll by half].