Report: 2% of Netflix Users Binged All of House of Cards Season 2 ASAP — Are You Done Yet?

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

House of Cards RatingsTwo percent of Netflix’s 33.4 million U.S. subscribers – or about 670,000 people – binge-watched all 13 episodes of House of Cards Season 2 during its first weekend, according to a report by Procera Networks, which solicits and analyses bandwidth usage data from multiple Internet service providers.

Netflix rather famously — and to the frustration of its broadcast/cable rivals — does not disclose viewing data.

RELATED | House of Cards‘ Kate Mara on That Scene, Rooting For Frank and Her Fear of [Spoiler]

Procera also reports that between 6 and 10 percent of Netflix’s U.S. subscribers watched at least one episode of House of Cards — marking a 400 percent increase over Season 1′s opening weekend — while the average number of hours consumed was three.

RELATED | House of Cards Season 2: We Binge-Watched It All — Here Are 5 Things to Know

In Europe, the average number of episodes binged was five, with 1 percent of subscribers consuming the whole season.

Procera also notes that, interestingly but in keeping with past trends, there was no statistically significant increase in overall Netflix traffic in the wake of this new release.

House of Cards was renewed for Season 3 well before its sophomore run dropped on Valentine’s Day.

Comments (37)

• I’m from Chile and I know am not the only one of my friends who binge watch HoC last weekend.

Comment by Paula – February 21, 2014 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it was pretty chilly (see what i did there?) in ohio on valentines day when netflix released it. plus i have no girlfriend so i sat home in my underwear and watched all 13 episodes at once and ate a pound of bacon. i hate myself.

Comment by benis – February 24, 2014 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If my husband watched the show, we probably would have watched the whole season last weekend. But I try to watch when he’s doing something else. The fact that half the country was snowed in last weekend probably helped those numbers, too.

Comment by Carla – February 21, 2014 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Took me 5 days to complete..wish I was this efficient in life

Comment by Sara – February 21, 2014 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL , completed the 13th episode myself last night , its a really great series.
      Looking forward to Scandal starting again ,, :)

Comment by Joseph – February 21, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • dont you dare compare house of cards to scandal. those 2 shows are not in the same boat or even in the same ocean.

Comment by benis – February 24, 2014 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the other hand, 98% of Netflix users have lives and will watch when convenient.

Comment by ChicagoDan – February 21, 2014 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No need to be a snob about it. Some people, like myself, binge-watched with an entire group of friends over the weekend it was released. We planned ahead, Mr. I Have Better Things To Do.

Comment by Drew – February 21, 2014 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Drew, don’t call ChicagoDan a snob. He was stating a fact as he sees it. I want to binge watch HoC myself, but have not found the time to even start; life in all it’s glory has gotten in the way, and that’s my fact. But glad to know you and your friends were “planning ahead”! The more people binge watch, the better chance for subsequent seasons! So please people binge away!

Comment by Mel – February 21, 2014 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a life and managed to watch all 13 episodes in 7 days.

Comment by Carm – February 21, 2014 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ive been waiting since November for season 2, I WATCHED IT ALL IN 48 HRS TV=LIFE

Comment by stanleyNYC – February 23, 2014 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How did you get to be so rude?

Comment by Gina Davis – February 22, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here in Paraguay most people haven’t even heard of the show until recently. Now it has become quite the phenomenon. Everyone’s binge watching and talking about it!

Comment by Martina – February 21, 2014 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m at Episode 7 at the moment. Was exhausted due to college classes.
    Most probably gonna finish them by this weekend!

Comment by Krys (@drywit_) – February 21, 2014 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have binged last weekend, but my kid was in the hospital. As soon as he was released I started watching Season 2, but realized I’d forgotten a lot of Season 1, so I rewatched it and now am on episode 11 of Season 2.

Comment by Kris – February 21, 2014 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All done. Is season 3 ready yet?

Comment by Kris – February 21, 2014 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • is your kid ok? jesus.

Comment by benis – February 24, 2014 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t take it that I have to wait another year for season 3! :(

Comment by cogamimaje – February 21, 2014 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 670k persons will have to wait 362 days for the next season.

The release of 13 episodes in one day kill all buzz around all Netflix series because nobody is at the same episode and can’t talk about it

Comment by Roger Canada – February 21, 2014 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You make a good point but this show still manages to get plenty of buzz. Everywhere you turn someone was talking about it or it was being spoofed on other shows. Being nominated for an Emmy certainly helped I’m sure.

Comment by Jackson – February 21, 2014 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True. Just today I’ve read 4 separate articles about how many people binge watch the show.

Comment by April – February 21, 2014 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on episode 6. I like giving myself breathing room between episodes. When I binge on a show, I find that I forget a lot of what I’ve watched soon after.

Comment by dude – February 21, 2014 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that just makes it more enjoyable when you watch it again in advance of next season’s release!

Comment by Wallow – February 21, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally caught up on Season 1 and just finished Ep 1 season 2. After that season premiere I felt i needed a break so I probably wont be back watching for a few days. Hubby who is a night owl did the binge thing and watched it all of season 2 in a few days.

But that is a good point about everyone not being in the same place in the series to talk about and for those that haven’t finished trying to avoid spoilers.

Comment by PB – February 21, 2014 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just binge watched season 1 does that count? I don’t know why I put off watching for so long but all the buzz for season 2 convinced me to try it and I was hooked. Taking a breather and will jump into season 2 next week.

Comment by Aimee – February 21, 2014 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doing the same. It’s heavy stuff though, so i take comedy breaks very couple of episodes.

Comment by flutiefan – February 21, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still have 2 episodes of S1 left! I started streaming The Americans on Amazon Prime around the same time and got much more engrossed in it than Cards, so I fell behind on my plan to have Cards done by the time S2 was released. But that’s the beauty of streaming—you can watch when you want to! (Side note: Cards is really good, don’t get me wrong, but The Americans just hooked me a little more.)

Comment by gdv – February 21, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I happened to be home from work the day it was released and binged it all on one day. Then I realized now I have to wait a whole year for season 3. That annoys me.

Comment by knd – February 21, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all 13 – and I spaced them out to savor them, but I couldn’t wait no mo’.

Comment by bobbie – February 21, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both seasons in 5 days. Hate that we have to wait a year for season 3!

Comment by Amanda – February 21, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Binge-watched last Saturday from 5pm to about 5am Sunday morning. I got up to go to bed several times but kept saying, just one more episode.

Comment by Marc – February 21, 2014 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm not only have I watch all of Season 2, but I had to watch Season 1 the week before to catch up. (I’m going cross eyed at this point)

Comment by artisan – February 21, 2014 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • btw please tell me that American politicians aren’t really that wicked!

Comment by artisan – February 21, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Given the “do-nothing” Congress,, perhaps they should be

Comment by cuius – February 21, 2014 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else have bandwith problems while watching it? We use a roku this time and it was rare HoC was in HD, it was in SD 90% of the time. We also had loading issue. I think it happened in every episode. I have read articles where some internet providers are not happy with Netflix and they are trying to get money out of them. Hulu worked just fine for us and in HD. No load issues either. I would have enjoyed HoC much better in HD. I would have also liked a “previously on” wrap up of season 1 too.

Comment by Tammy – February 21, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually have far more issues with Hulu than I do Netflix. Hulu freezes constantly in the middle of shows and I rarely have that issue with Netflix– it’s one of the reasons why I canceled my Hulu Plus subscription.

Comment by Jillian – February 21, 2014 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! I’ve never been in the top 2% of anything! I binge-watched Season 1 the weekend ir was released, and likewise, Season 2. LOVE HOC!

Comment by Judi – February 22, 2014 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post