Pilot Scoop: Homeland's Morena Baccarin Joins ABC Medical Drama Warriors

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards - ArrivalsFormer Homeland military wife Morena Baccarin is headed into battle herself with a series regular role in ABC’s medical drama pilot Warriors, TVLine had learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The potential series, from Party of Five‘s Christopher Keyser, centers on the doctors and nurses at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center who treat returning soldiers.

Baccarin — who parted ways with Homeland last fall at the end of the Showtime drama’s third season — will play Tory Sterling, a soldier, psychiatrist, mother and wife who just returned to work at Walter Reed after completing a nine-month tour in Afghanistan. A good mom and wife, Tory enjoys a great relationship with Clay — but something happened to her over in Afghanistan which she’s finding it difficult to talk about with Clay. (OMG, she’s Brody!) Tory is also troubled by an intimate relationship she started in Afghanistan with a fellow doctor, George Mann, also now back at Walter Reed, and though she feels that he’s the only person who can truly understand that part of herself, she’s determined not to ruin her marriage with Clay.

Keyser penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks.

Comments (34)

• This will be a great opportunity to show how the war affects our soldiers. I hope it is done well and does not become to “soapy.”

Comment by leigh – February 20, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it’s at least a little soapy.

Comment by Ally Oop – February 20, 2014 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ABC the soap network + Party of five + Army wives = can’t get soapier.

Comment by Hannah – February 21, 2014 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tory Sperling are you kidding me, ask them to please change, so many different combos they could use???!!!

Comment by E.F. Coleman – February 22, 2014 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rooting for this one. Great potential.

Comment by Anna – February 20, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blah. Cancelled. Just like “Combat Hospital” on ABC and Mercy on NBC, Trauma on NBC, even the attempt at a “different” medical show Off The Map on NBC, Emily Owens M.D. on The CW, even Hawthorne on TNT. The one i really liked and thought had a shot cause it was realistic feeling and gritty was Monday Mornings on TNT. Cancelled.
    Medical Dramas are the Call of Duty of TV show genres. When they first started they were totally fresh and new and epic (E.R. etc) and now they have been done for so long, we are TIRED of them. Theres only so many ways to show Doctors fighting, sleeping with each other, going into surgery, making mistakes, etc.
    I’m Tired of cheating characters. Also that exact story was on Mercy i believe, which is to say a Doctor (female) dating a guy and while she was over in Iraq she was with another Doctor intimately which i believe was cheating (she was dating or engaged or something) and he ends up coming and working at Mercy Hospital as well. Overall, sounds typical, just ANOTHER attempt at a medical show, chasing after the elusive hit, wanting to be the next “E.R.” or w/e.
    If this was on cable or HBO or something, i’d say the assumed grit/realism would make it a possibility to be a relative hit..but Network TV? Cancelled.
    (Btw i would LOVE a show, scripted or in fact id love a docu-series more that is of this subject. Returning Vets, their doctors, their mental health doctors etc…but this is gonna be more soap-drama crap. Cheating wives, stupid husbands, sleeping with a patient doctor, drama, etc….I dont want to “see how the war effects our soldiers” from a ABC show…thats like saying we see into the world of Cops cause we watch Chicago PD lol…couldnt be further from the truth.)

Comment by M3rc Nate – February 20, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There seems to be more cop/FBI type shows than medical dramas and people keep watching them. Though you are right many have been canceled too. Still, I am looking forward to a good medical drama. (Haven’t watched Grey’s Anatomy in a while), I did watch Mercy, Monday Mornings, & Gifted Man, which all ended too soon, but it doesn’t me the genre should die.

Comment by wingsstef – February 20, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *mean

Comment by wingsstef – February 20, 2014 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Man, I loved Mercy….

Comment by Jenna – February 20, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dont think it should die (i really liked Monday Mornings so obviously Doctor shows can still be good and worth watching), but for it to become a hit it has to be done right.
        I agree there are more Cop/FBI/Law Enforcement shows, but they also have more diversity (CIA, FBI, Cops, Marshals, SWAT, etc)…where as doctors are pretty much doctors on TV. TV goes on cycles and right now is the hit of survival shows, with Revolution and The Walking Dead, and gritty cop/outlaw shows like Justified, Sons of Anarchy….things outside the regular cop/doctor box. Even Chicago PD isnt regular cops, its a bunch of hardcore “breakin the rules” cops, as was the sadly cancelled Southland.
        Oh and my favorite Doctor shows of ALL time, and what i wish this show was like? Boston Med, NY Med. I bet it would win so many awards and become the center piece for seeing what Vets are coming home to and all that if there was a docu-series done by the Boston Med team on Walter Reed.

Comment by M3rc Nate – February 20, 2014 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Off the Map was a laughable excuse for a TV show and it was on ABC.

Comment by Rob – February 20, 2014 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why dont u wait and actually SEE before u holler “meh canceled” and shut the hell up

Comment by nate – February 20, 2014 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mad bro? How about my personal record has been pretty fantastic on new shows being cancelled. Id say if i was to come up with a number im like 16 for 20. So i say to you sir, shut the hell up.

Comment by M3rc Nate – February 20, 2014 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually ABC had a lot of failed pilots for the past few years. But I do remember that Once Upon A Time, Revenge and Scandal also had DOA written over them during their first year. I think Once Upon A Time and Revenge were amongst the top voters in a tvbythenumbers poll predicting which new shows will be the first the get cancelled.

Comment by Jerry – February 21, 2014 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched and liked Mercy and adored Trauma! I always wait until a show is 5 episodes in now before I even watch the pilot. If the ratings are ok I will watch. I was so upset with those two shows both being canceled after one season.

Comment by Mandy – February 21, 2014 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I think you’re expecting too much from a television drama. I don’t think you can expect anything you see on TV to be realistic; just take it as the entertainment that it’s meant to be.
      Btw, I seriously loved Combat Hospital. I think I’m the only person in the country that bought the first season on DVD. The season (series) finale just broke my heart.

Comment by Katherine215 – February 21, 2014 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Combat Hospital was grace. I loved the multinational team.

Comment by Apples – February 21, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like it might be good.

Comment by wingsstef – February 20, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a parent of a son who has returned from numerous deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan, it will be interesting how network TV deals with the subject matter. I’m a huge fan of Homeland and Morena Baccarin and was disappointed to hear she was dropped from the show. I’m absolutely thrilled to see her return to the small screen.

Comment by Norma Avalos – February 20, 2014 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is also going to be part of a brazilian tv show in 2014. Inara is a busy girl!

Comment by Lois – February 20, 2014 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Inara – how I wish she was still playing that role. Or at least had the chance to do it for a couple of years . . .

Comment by Anne – February 21, 2014 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christopher Keyser penned it, or Shonda Rhimes did? Sounds amazingly like Owen’s and Teddy’s story on Grey’s Anatomy.

Everything old is well, still old.

Comment by K Muck – February 20, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this, afraid more and more it’ll be too soapy with bed-hopping doctors and not gritty enough about the returning vets and such. Big fan of Morena since Firefly of course (can they grab Fillion for a cameo off Castle, maybe just one ep?!)

Comment by Apples – February 20, 2014 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen 100%

Comment by M3rc Nate – February 21, 2014 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In response to several posts here and above, I’m glad I’m not the only one who was bummed at the demise of Mercy, Trauma, Off the Map (hate when they cancel in the midst of crisis!), Monday Mornings, Gifted Man, and Hawthorne. I don’t like the cheating aspect either, but things happen and it’s not a new concept. Atoning for it is the challenge.
      I loved Morena in Firefly, which I disovered only a little over 2 yrs ago. I was at a family Xmas party and walked into the family room where the football game had been replaced by a Firefly marathon. I exclaimed, “Oh, that’s Castle!”, then my nephew told me about the short-lived series. I went home shortly after and watched it the rest of the evening and got totally hooked. I think there should be a contest to see who can name the most Firefly references found in Castle episodes, lol. Since Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin have been guests on Castle, I’ve often wondered if Morena might be, too, someday. I saw her on a couple of Mentalist episodes.
      I hope the new series is worth watching and a big success.

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 21, 2014 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets hope they give her a decend haircut this time and dont deliberately make her ugly like on Homelands Season 1.

Comment by Bark Star – February 21, 2014 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still see her as a Firefly alum :(

Comment by aplwrites – February 21, 2014 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still midd Firefly. thought it was one of the best series. Reunion?

Comment by CCHIARO – February 21, 2014 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool…I love Morena so I’ll definitely check this out if it is picked up. It reminds me a little of Mercy.

Comment by Lucky – February 21, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news about her getting a pilot in US is strange, yesterday in a Brazil news website was reported that Morena said yes to work in a series here in Brazil.But it depends of negociations with a local network if this new reported by TVLine is true so the negociations in Brazil didn’t make

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – February 21, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the actress, but could not stand her character on Homeland. I think she’s better off leaving Mrs. Brody behind. And hopefully she takes the rest of the family with her. I always hoped that Morena would be cast as Wasp in the Marvel Universe.

Comment by Mikael – February 24, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait to see warriors, i love morena

Comment by john rambo – March 13, 2014 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on The Muses Guild:AVEN.

Comment by Margaret Sanderson – March 21, 2014 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was an extra, so I really hope I can at least see the pilot episode I was in :) Btw, they used actual disabled folks not able bodied fakes.

Comment by kathy – April 9, 2014 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post