Scoop: TNT Eyes 10-Episode Librarian Series; Noah Wyle Poised to Return as Flynn

Get More: Series Orders

the librarians series tntThe Librarian is about to book a comeback — and he’s bringing reinforcements.

TNT is close to ordering a straight-to-series version of its popular Librarian movie franchise, which starred Noah Wyle in the title role, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Tentatively titled The Librarians, the cast-contingent project — exec-produced by Librarian boss Dean Devlin — would center on four ordinary people with extraordinary talents who discover that they have been selected by Wyle’s Flynn to work for The Library, an ancient fellowship of knowledge and heroism. The quartet travels the world investigating strange occurrences, battling ancient conspiracies and protecting the innocent from the dangerous, secret world of magic.

Wyle, who’s currently starring in TNT’s Falling Skies (which returns with its fourth season this June), is in talks to appear in the premiere and make guest appearances throughout the series.

The first pic in the trilogy, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, aired on TNT in 2004, and was followed by 2006′s  The Librarian: Return to King Solomon’s Mines and 2008′s The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.

Thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent about it? Hit the comments!

Comments (112)

• So it will be the new Warehouse 13?

Comment by GeoDiva – February 20, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that this sounds like Warehouse 13. Doesn’t anything original come out anymore?

Comment by FayeD – February 20, 2014 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the Librarian movies were out before Warehouse 13 weren’t they?

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think they were and I LOVED them. I’m not a huge fan of Falling Skies and I always wanted more installments of The Librarian so I’m about to be all over this.

Comment by Lena120 – February 20, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I hope TNT replays the movies because I haven’t seen them but they sound like something i would like!

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 05:40 PM PDT
          • They replay them all the time. Actually had a marathon of them not too long ago….

Comment by justsaying – February 20, 2014 06:14 PM PDT
          • For Elyse, the movies are out on DVD. Also, if you have Netflix, you can get them there.

Comment by Foster E. Baxter Jr. – February 21, 2014 07:14 AM PDT
          • I LOVE THE IDEA TOO I LOVED THE BEGINING LOOKING FORWORD FOR THE COMEBACK

Comment by bobbie – February 21, 2014 09:26 AM PDT
          • i feel the same it was a great movie series and i wanted more, thank goodness we will have it!

Comment by jim bob – February 21, 2014 07:16 AM PDT
          • This is very good news,loved the Librarian movies.

Comment by sandra thompson – February 21, 2014 06:55 PM PDT
        • they were definitely out before warehouse 13. It will be good to have this go to a series. On a happy note I can’t wait for the return of Falling Skies

Comment by Darth Draven – February 21, 2014 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It does sound like Warehouse 13, guess I will be watching this series :)

Comment by Teresa – February 21, 2014 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why don’t you ask Warehouse 13 since this came out first :p

Comment by Josh – February 20, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TV has been around over 60 years, so hard to come up with anything that has not been done before.

Comment by rehabber – April 17, 2014 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With in turn was a take on The Lost Room….

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 20, 2014 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Noah Wyle made the series, get him and No One back and that would be perfect, not all of this other crap. And yeah this was out well before warehouse 13

Comment by Pat – February 20, 2014 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can’t stand him so if he’s not front and center I can stomach this

Comment by Hannah – February 21, 2014 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Which

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 21, 2014 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved the Librarian series. Can’t wait to see it, Hope they make. It was not overly campy and was really fun to watch

Comment by chris – February 23, 2014 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear this. I was hoping the librarian series wasn’t over.

Comment by Joel – February 20, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joel, have you been watching the series already? I live in So. Cal. and I haven’t seen it yet.

Comment by Pat Bradshaw – February 20, 2014 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They meant film series, but good try at insulting someone.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – February 20, 2014 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved the Librarian movies and Noah Wyle. I think it would be a very good series. Especially in light of SyFy ending Warehouse 13, which is definitely in my Top 10. SyFy seems to be turning to cheap reality shows rather than quality scripted series. But that’s a peeve for another day.

Comment by Linbee – February 20, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly you do not watch any of SYFY’s other programing (Defiance, haven, lost girl, continuum, helix etc) because they are all phenomenal.

Comment by sy – February 20, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t forget Being Human!

Comment by DL – February 20, 2014 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Don’t forget Haven

Comment by Teresa – February 21, 2014 08:04 AM PDT
  • It would have been better if he had the lead role.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 20, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is to say he doesn’t have the lead role? The posted premise is that he has four ‘disciples’ who he can send out on a week by week basis as needed, none of whom will be the ‘star’.

Comment by Brian – February 20, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s bad enough that you posted this nonsense one time, but then you repeat it again! Can’t you read? He is in talks to appear in the premiere and make guest appearances throughout the series. Does that sound like the leading role? No, i didn’t think so!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 20, 2014 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dude you need to calm down, and maybe go outside for a little bit.

Comment by The Truth – February 21, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guest appearances? I want him to be the star. He made that series as great as it was.

Comment by Justin – February 20, 2014 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Noah is a leading man and should be the sole lead of the series.

Comment by Jon – February 20, 2014 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • See my comment above.

Comment by Brian – February 20, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your comment is wrong.

Comment by dude – February 20, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, but I’ll watch this in whatever form it takes.

Comment by Dr. M – February 20, 2014 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Hope they cast good people!

Comment by A. D. – February 20, 2014 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. If Noah can’t be in every episode then I hope they create characters as likeable as his, with talented actors to play them.

Comment by zaza – February 20, 2014 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love The Librarian!

Comment by Name That Tune – February 20, 2014 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prefer him in Falling Skies…

Comment by Dalyce – February 20, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m happy for a series, I’d rather see Noah as The Librarian instead of just a guest star!

Comment by Michelle – February 20, 2014 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a great idea. A little of Warehouse 13 (based in my humble opinion on a cross between the Librarian and Indiana Jones) and a little of every other recent attempt to add a lightweight sci-fi fantasy element to today’s viewing.

Comment by Brian – February 20, 2014 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (to brian) that is so true, I loved the movies. and warehouse 13 was great.

Comment by missteff – February 21, 2014 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!! This make me really excited!

Comment by Leanna – February 20, 2014 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved that series – hope all cast members can return. i really enjoyed the adventures in the library.

Comment by Mrs. Peele – February 20, 2014 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to the series. Enjoy the movies & wish there had been more of them.

Comment by Frank Rash – February 20, 2014 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess he can’t take the lead because of Falling Skies. I would like to see him in the lead after Falling Skies ends.

Comment by Pam – February 20, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I.m very excited about the return of the Librarian. Please tell us that Bob Newhart will still be in his role.

Comment by james amerson – February 20, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love “The Librarian” movies and find them very entertaining. I would definitely watch them in a TV series.

Comment by Norma Jenkins – February 20, 2014 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved them. Will miss Bob Newhart.

Comment by Terry – February 20, 2014 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay I love this show

Comment by Mika02 – February 20, 2014 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Bob Newhart have an occasional guest appearance?? it would be worth its weight in gold as a ratings booster!!

Comment by Brian – February 20, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also wondering if Bob Newhart or Jane Curtain would be involved.

Comment by zaza – February 20, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The sister site Deadline reports both will be involved

Comment by Jared Munson – February 20, 2014 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bob Newhart – Jane Curtain – YAY

Comment by majamabe – February 21, 2014 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a wonderful show The Librarian was. Hopefully this follows the Warehouse 13/Indiana Jones style of show – along with some ineptness (humor). If only Lost Room would come back as well…

Comment by grys03 – February 20, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved those movies and Noah Wylie, wish he and Bob Newhart would be in it.

Comment by Red – February 20, 2014 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the Librarian series of movies. I would love to see Spencer Reid (Matthew Gray Gubler) of Criminal Minds chosen as one of the travelers.

Comment by Margie Clark – February 20, 2014 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love those movies, and I would certainly watch the series! I’m hoping they include Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain in the series as well. Their characters are great.

Comment by paula – February 20, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first Librarian was wonderful, the second, pretty good, and the third, at the bottom end of mediocre. So I’m not at all sanguine about this news – though I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Comment by Sheldon W. – February 20, 2014 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • first off:
    A thousand times yes.

What will probably happen is IF Falling Skies ends after this season or next, Noah will jump ship and be a full time Librarian hahahahahaha.
    Its the same thing that Cobie Smulders said last year. That after HIMYM ended, she would jump ship over to Agents of Shield (IF it gets a second season)

Comment by Mare – February 20, 2014 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s great I saw the others and loved it . can’t wait

Comment by bobbie – February 21, 2014 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me VERY happy!

Comment by Monica – February 20, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would Stana Katic make a guest appearance????

Comment by Lupe – February 20, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stana Katic’s character died. I can’t see her making a guest appearance – not to mention the fact that she’s the lead in her own show on a different network.

Comment by Author – February 20, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know about Stana’s show I’m in love with it. And I know what happened with her character in The Librarian, but anything could happen with a vampire, right?

Comment by Lupe – February 20, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well we are talking about a guest appearance…not a recurring role. And we’ve seen plenty of dead characters returning in Sci-fi shows for more than 1 episode, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. Besides Nathan guest starred in Community last month and played some key roles in films Monsters University & Much ado about nothing in the past 2 years, all while leading in Castle!

Comment by Rich Abey – February 20, 2014 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For example she could appear in a dream sequence or a memory, which could be filmed during a Castle hiatus, like she did for CBGB.

Comment by Krissi G – February 21, 2014 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be cool! I love SK and so what if her character died, vampires don’t die…..I would watch the new show either way.

Comment by missteff – February 21, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We also definitely need Jane Curtin to lend her curmudgeonly presence in there to keep team in line.

Comment by Frank Burt – February 20, 2014 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so does TNT replay the Librarian movies? I need to watch them now!

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elyse- They do replay them quite a bit. All 3 were just on not too long ago. That’s when I first watched them. I’m not sure where you can watch them online but I’m sure you can.

Comment by Francine – February 20, 2014 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would definitely watch this series. The movies were a lot of fun – I think the series would be just as much fun, if not more. :) :)

Comment by Author – February 20, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normally I would watch a show like this but after what this network did with Monday Mornings, I’m going to take a pass. The way they just cancelled that wonderful show left a bad taste in my mouth for anything else they come up with. I’ll never trust them again.

Comment by John Dee – February 20, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way about TNT because of the way they cancelled Leverage.

Comment by Mary – February 20, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Leverage got five seasons and a proper finale. I loved the show too but, there’s no reason to be mad at TNT about the end of it.

Comment by Tookie Clothespin – February 20, 2014 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Leverage needed to end anyway, it was good but getting dragged out. It had its time

Comment by Pat – February 20, 2014 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, I’m pretty sure I remember John Rogers writing in his blog that he had always thought of Leverage as a five season show. However, it did kind of irritate me that they aired the series finale on Christmas….

Comment by Amy – February 20, 2014 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome!! I loved the film series. Will for sure be watching, especially if Noah reprises his role

Comment by Liz – February 20, 2014 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I watched all three movies a few months back. Hopefully it’ll be a good show.

Comment by Ann – February 20, 2014 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see a series of this. Loved the movies they were fun to watch and would like to see what other thing they discover or recover. Will miss Bob Newhart but will still be interested in seeing where it leads and what happens to Flynn!

Comment by Desiree – February 20, 2014 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure if the Librarian has had any exposure outside the States. In my country the 3 movies went straight to DVD and are stocked in the children’s section of only a few stores. Doesn’t exactly make me want to watch it.

Comment by Scott – February 20, 2014 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the films were direct-to-dvd in every country.

Comment by liz – February 21, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are great movies. They might be more TV-PG than TV-14 but they are not kiddie-fare either. Family friendly to older children. The third one, I don’t remember to well, but believe was a bit more dark. They are campy action comedy movies, woven with some tales about old legends.

Comment by wingsstef – April 11, 2014 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is wonderful news. I wonder if Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart will be back in their original roles for the tv series.

Comment by tvdiva – February 20, 2014 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup. I will be watching. Those movies were fun, and well, Noah Wyle.

Comment by wingsstef – February 20, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh sweet Zeus yes.

Comment by Morgan – February 20, 2014 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this idea!!!!

Comment by Liza – February 20, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Noah in every episode would be ideal. If that happens, all the better!

Comment by Linderella – February 20, 2014 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Wyle wouldn’t star? Not interested. He’s the best part of those movies, and most projects he’s in. ER began to die as soon as he left. I’ll pass on this one, thanks.

Comment by Sarahliz – February 20, 2014 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy to hear anything about Noah Wyle!!!! He has such charisma. I can’t wait
    to see this new Librarian series. I’m also looking forward to Falling Skies returning.

Comment by Margaret – February 20, 2014 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds a little like Zero Hour, which I enjoyed very much. Hopefully I will like this too.

Comment by Avinash – February 20, 2014 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! I was wondering if we would ever get another Librarian movie. This is even better. I love these kind of stories/movies/shows.

Comment by Big D – February 20, 2014 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAN’T WAIT!! LOVE IT!

Comment by rfincv – February 20, 2014 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! Big fan of the series and especially fond of the third installment “The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice”, what with Stana Katic’s eye-catching turn as Simone. The next best that can happen now is Stana guest-starring. Fingers crossed!

Comment by Rich Abey – February 20, 2014 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • third one was my fav too…..when I watched the movie didn’t even know Stana was in it (am a huge Castle fan by the way) I just love it cause I know a lot about New Orleans and I remember walking in those places….I love to see what they come up with next. I always wanted another movie, hope this will be as good. sounds like a fun run….can’t wait.

Comment by missteff – February 21, 2014 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, it’s not a new idea but it could be fascinating. They need to get Good Writers involved, real actors and maybe great locations instead of just studio sets. Please just don’t turn it into the artifact/monster of the week plot. There are so many aspects of human history that have been lost. Why not an intricate story involving the Eastern Roman Empire that actually is filmed in Istanbul? Actually visit Mayan ruins. Have a story involving Viking remains at L’Anse aux Meadows. Stories that involve real history, with interesting plots.. If you put something that challenges the audience, it has to stand out in the sea of stupid reality shows and poorly written comedies.

Comment by John Harnes – February 20, 2014 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, for all of us Leverage fans, these new characters sound a lot like our Leverage crew.Perfect chance to see some more Christian Kane and Aldis Hodge.

Comment by Ethel – February 21, 2014 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY, love the Librarian movies. when we will know more?

Comment by Dragonfly – February 21, 2014 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Went yippee when I read the headline,went “oh no” when I read that Noah Wyle is to be only an occasional part of the cast. I adore the films and the actors,ALL of the main ones who appeared in them.I’ve wished long that more FILMS would be made and thought my wish had been granted.Instead it’s a tired old “team of 4″ series but instead of a police station or Governmental Agency it’s set amongst people who play at being Indiana Jones, but with special abilities.Must have special abilities these days! It’s obligatory. Or seems so.I suppose the proposed series is engineered for the young adult 14+ age group.Probably a handsome hero, a geek, a beautiful but deadly female and an older “sage” will be the group. Just a guess. Maybe the geek will be an older teenager.
    As you may have noticed from my comments,I’m hoping this concept never gets ON to paper never mind into production. Running short of original ideas again people of T.V. Land? And regurgitating and hardly noticeably altering old ones?
    I tend to give most things a chance. Let them get settled in. If this series happens,I doubt I shal do that. Instead I’ll scour the T.V. series reports for news of it’s sudden cancellation after one season, maybe less.This has happened a lot over the past few seasons.I’ll wait and see what happens, and if you succeed, congratulations,but to keep it going strong after one season is hard work.And too much hard work has been known to kill.

Comment by Linda Piper (@Hazelbough) – February 21, 2014 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noah Wyle has a starring gig on Falling Skies, so there is no way he can be the star of this one too. It is comforting to know that his Flynn Carsen will turn up from time to time and the producers want to get Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain back in some capacity (per Deadline). The Deadline article mentions Wyle will be an executive producer and perhaps direct an episode. I know Jonathan Frakes directed the last two TV movies, wonder if he will direct some episodes too?

Comment by kingeomer – February 21, 2014 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post