Scoop: TNT Eyes 10-Episode Librarian Series; Noah Wyle Poised to Return as Flynn

the librarians series tntThe Librarian is about to book a comeback — and he’s bringing reinforcements.

TNT is close to ordering a straight-to-series version of its popular Librarian movie franchise, which starred Noah Wyle in the title role, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Tentatively titled The Librarians, the cast-contingent project — exec-produced by Librarian boss Dean Devlin — would center on four ordinary people with extraordinary talents who discover that they have been selected by Wyle’s Flynn to work for The Library, an ancient fellowship of knowledge and heroism. The quartet travels the world investigating strange occurrences, battling ancient conspiracies and protecting the innocent from the dangerous, secret world of magic.

Wyle, who’s currently starring in TNT’s Falling Skies (which returns with its fourth season this June), is in talks to appear in the premiere and make guest appearances throughout the series.

The first pic in the trilogy, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, aired on TNT in 2004, and was followed by 2006’s  The Librarian: Return to King Solomon’s Mines and 2008’s The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.

Thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent about it? Hit the comments!

1. GeoDiva says:

So it will be the new Warehouse 13?

2. Joel says:

Glad to hear this. I was hoping the librarian series wasn’t over.

3. CBWBDK1 says:

It would have been better if he had the lead role.

• Brian says:

Who is to say he doesn’t have the lead role? The posted premise is that he has four ‘disciples’ who he can send out on a week by week basis as needed, none of whom will be the ‘star’.

• CBWBDK1 says:

It’s bad enough that you posted this nonsense one time, but then you repeat it again! Can’t you read? He is in talks to appear in the premiere and make guest appearances throughout the series. Does that sound like the leading role? No, i didn’t think so!

• Mary Anne says:

The comment was he would make limited appearances so I don’t see how he could be the lead.

4. Justin says:

Guest appearances? I want him to be the star. He made that series as great as it was.

5. A. D. says:

Awesome! Hope they cast good people!

• zaza says:

Agree. If Noah can’t be in every episode then I hope they create characters as likeable as his, with talented actors to play them.

6. Name That Tune says:

Love The Librarian!

7. Dalyce says:

Prefer him in Falling Skies…

8. Michelle says:

While I’m happy for a series, I’d rather see Noah as The Librarian instead of just a guest star!

9. Brian says:

It’s a great idea. A little of Warehouse 13 (based in my humble opinion on a cross between the Librarian and Indiana Jones) and a little of every other recent attempt to add a lightweight sci-fi fantasy element to today’s viewing.

10. Leanna says:

YAY!! This make me really excited!

11. Mrs. Peele says:

I loved that series – hope all cast members can return. i really enjoyed the adventures in the library.

12. Frank Rash says:

Looking forward to the series. Enjoy the movies & wish there had been more of them.

13. Pam says:

I guess he can’t take the lead because of Falling Skies. I would like to see him in the lead after Falling Skies ends.

14. james amerson says:

I.m very excited about the return of the Librarian. Please tell us that Bob Newhart will still be in his role.

15. I love “The Librarian” movies and find them very entertaining. I would definitely watch them in a TV series.

16. Terry says:

I loved them. Will miss Bob Newhart.

17. Mika02 says:

Yay I love this show

18. Brian says:

Will Bob Newhart have an occasional guest appearance?? it would be worth its weight in gold as a ratings booster!!

19. grys03 says:

What a wonderful show The Librarian was. Hopefully this follows the Warehouse 13/Indiana Jones style of show – along with some ineptness (humor). If only Lost Room would come back as well…

20. Red says:

Loved those movies and Noah Wylie, wish he and Bob Newhart would be in it.

21. Margie Clark says:

I really enjoyed the Librarian series of movies. I would love to see Spencer Reid (Matthew Gray Gubler) of Criminal Minds chosen as one of the travelers.

22. paula says:

I love those movies, and I would certainly watch the series! I’m hoping they include Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain in the series as well. Their characters are great.

23. Sheldon W. says:

The first Librarian was wonderful, the second, pretty good, and the third, at the bottom end of mediocre. So I’m not at all sanguine about this news – though I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

24. Mare says:

first off:
    A thousand times yes.

What will probably happen is IF Falling Skies ends after this season or next, Noah will jump ship and be a full time Librarian hahahahahaha.
    Its the same thing that Cobie Smulders said last year. That after HIMYM ended, she would jump ship over to Agents of Shield (IF it gets a second season)

25. Monica says:

This makes me VERY happy!

26. Lupe says:

Would Stana Katic make a guest appearance????

• Author says:

Stana Katic’s character died. I can’t see her making a guest appearance – not to mention the fact that she’s the lead in her own show on a different network.

• Lupe says:

I know about Stana’s show I’m in love with it. And I know what happened with her character in The Librarian, but anything could happen with a vampire, right?

• Rich Abey says:

Well we are talking about a guest appearance…not a recurring role. And we’ve seen plenty of dead characters returning in Sci-fi shows for more than 1 episode, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. Besides Nathan guest starred in Community last month and played some key roles in films Monsters University & Much ado about nothing in the past 2 years, all while leading in Castle!

• Krissi G says:

For example she could appear in a dream sequence or a memory, which could be filmed during a Castle hiatus, like she did for CBGB.

• missteff says:

that would be cool! I love SK and so what if her character died, vampires don’t die…..I would watch the new show either way.

27. Frank Burt says:

We also definitely need Jane Curtin to lend her curmudgeonly presence in there to keep team in line.

28. Elyse says:

so does TNT replay the Librarian movies? I need to watch them now!

• Francine says:

Elyse- They do replay them quite a bit. All 3 were just on not too long ago. That’s when I first watched them. I’m not sure where you can watch them online but I’m sure you can.

29. Author says:

I would definitely watch this series. The movies were a lot of fun – I think the series would be just as much fun, if not more. :) :)

30. John Dee says:

Normally I would watch a show like this but after what this network did with Monday Mornings, I’m going to take a pass. The way they just cancelled that wonderful show left a bad taste in my mouth for anything else they come up with. I’ll never trust them again.

• Mary says:

I feel the same way about TNT because of the way they cancelled Leverage.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Leverage got five seasons and a proper finale. I loved the show too but, there’s no reason to be mad at TNT about the end of it.

• Amy says:

To be fair, I’m pretty sure I remember John Rogers writing in his blog that he had always thought of Leverage as a five season show. However, it did kind of irritate me that they aired the series finale on Christmas….

31. Liz says:

That’s awesome!! I loved the film series. Will for sure be watching, especially if Noah reprises his role

32. Ann says:

Yay! I watched all three movies a few months back. Hopefully it’ll be a good show.

33. Desiree says:

I would love to see a series of this. Loved the movies they were fun to watch and would like to see what other thing they discover or recover. Will miss Bob Newhart but will still be interested in seeing where it leads and what happens to Flynn!

34. Scott says:

I’m not sure if the Librarian has had any exposure outside the States. In my country the 3 movies went straight to DVD and are stocked in the children’s section of only a few stores. Doesn’t exactly make me want to watch it.

• liz says:

the films were direct-to-dvd in every country.

• wingsstef says:

They are great movies. They might be more TV-PG than TV-14 but they are not kiddie-fare either. Family friendly to older children. The third one, I don’t remember to well, but believe was a bit more dark. They are campy action comedy movies, woven with some tales about old legends.

35. tvdiva says:

This is wonderful news. I wonder if Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart will be back in their original roles for the tv series.

36. wingsstef says:

Yup. I will be watching. Those movies were fun, and well, Noah Wyle.

37. Morgan says:

Oh sweet Zeus yes.

38. Liza says:

Love this idea!!!!

39. Linderella says:

Great news! Noah in every episode would be ideal. If that happens, all the better!

40. Sarahliz says:

So Wyle wouldn’t star? Not interested. He’s the best part of those movies, and most projects he’s in. ER began to die as soon as he left. I’ll pass on this one, thanks.

41. Margaret says:

I’m very happy to hear anything about Noah Wyle!!!! He has such charisma. I can’t wait
    to see this new Librarian series. I’m also looking forward to Falling Skies returning.

42. Avinash says:

It sounds a little like Zero Hour, which I enjoyed very much. Hopefully I will like this too.

43. Big D says:

Awesome news! I was wondering if we would ever get another Librarian movie. This is even better. I love these kind of stories/movies/shows.

44. rfincv says:

CAN’T WAIT!! LOVE IT!

45. Rich Abey says:

Love it! Big fan of the series and especially fond of the third installment “The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice”, what with Stana Katic’s eye-catching turn as Simone. The next best that can happen now is Stana guest-starring. Fingers crossed!

• missteff says:

third one was my fav too…..when I watched the movie didn’t even know Stana was in it (am a huge Castle fan by the way) I just love it cause I know a lot about New Orleans and I remember walking in those places….I love to see what they come up with next. I always wanted another movie, hope this will be as good. sounds like a fun run….can’t wait.

46. John Harnes says:

You know, it’s not a new idea but it could be fascinating. They need to get Good Writers involved, real actors and maybe great locations instead of just studio sets. Please just don’t turn it into the artifact/monster of the week plot. There are so many aspects of human history that have been lost. Why not an intricate story involving the Eastern Roman Empire that actually is filmed in Istanbul? Actually visit Mayan ruins. Have a story involving Viking remains at L’Anse aux Meadows. Stories that involve real history, with interesting plots.. If you put something that challenges the audience, it has to stand out in the sea of stupid reality shows and poorly written comedies.

47. Ethel says:

well, for all of us Leverage fans, these new characters sound a lot like our Leverage crew.Perfect chance to see some more Christian Kane and Aldis Hodge.

• Mary Anne Waddick says:

We do get to see Christian Kane, but I haven’t heard anything about Aldis Hodge showing up yet. But that would be awesome as well. I loved the Librarian series, so add my two favorites together and you can bet that I will definitely be watching this one!

48. Dragonfly says:

YAY, love the Librarian movies. when we will know more?

49. Went yippee when I read the headline,went “oh no” when I read that Noah Wyle is to be only an occasional part of the cast. I adore the films and the actors,ALL of the main ones who appeared in them.I’ve wished long that more FILMS would be made and thought my wish had been granted.Instead it’s a tired old “team of 4″ series but instead of a police station or Governmental Agency it’s set amongst people who play at being Indiana Jones, but with special abilities.Must have special abilities these days! It’s obligatory. Or seems so.I suppose the proposed series is engineered for the young adult 14+ age group.Probably a handsome hero, a geek, a beautiful but deadly female and an older “sage” will be the group. Just a guess. Maybe the geek will be an older teenager.
    As you may have noticed from my comments,I’m hoping this concept never gets ON to paper never mind into production. Running short of original ideas again people of T.V. Land? And regurgitating and hardly noticeably altering old ones?
    I tend to give most things a chance. Let them get settled in. If this series happens,I doubt I shal do that. Instead I’ll scour the T.V. series reports for news of it’s sudden cancellation after one season, maybe less.This has happened a lot over the past few seasons.I’ll wait and see what happens, and if you succeed, congratulations,but to keep it going strong after one season is hard work.And too much hard work has been known to kill.

50. kingeomer says:

Noah Wyle has a starring gig on Falling Skies, so there is no way he can be the star of this one too. It is comforting to know that his Flynn Carsen will turn up from time to time and the producers want to get Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain back in some capacity (per Deadline). The Deadline article mentions Wyle will be an executive producer and perhaps direct an episode. I know Jonathan Frakes directed the last two TV movies, wonder if he will direct some episodes too?