Parenthood Exclusive: Look Who's Returning!

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Parenthood Sarah Ramos ReturnsA Parenthood fave is making her way back to the NBC drama after a lengthy absence.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Sarah Ramos is set to reprise her role as Adam and Kristina’s eldest daughter Haddie later this season.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Ramos was taken off contract at Parenthood at the end of the show’s third season as her character transitioned to college, although Haddie recurred throughout Season 4 to lend support to her cancer-stricken mom. Her one-episode comeback in the Season 5 finale will mark her first appearance in a year.

Back in September, P’hood boss Jason Katims left the door open for a Ramos return. “It’s always a question of finding the right story combined with Sarah’s availability,” he told TVLine. “We sort of dealt with this a lot starting on Friday Night Lights, where so many of our characters wound up graduating from high school and sort of leaving the show, and sometimes coming back for either one or a series of episodes, or sometimes a lot of episodes.”

Comments (64)

• I thought it was weird that she never showed up during Kristina’s mayor campaign.

Comment by Amanda – February 20, 2014 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! Realistically there’s a lot of times where she could show up. I understand going to school across the country means not being around as much, but come on. She’s barely mentioned. Plus it’s weird because she had so many problems in the first few seasons, and I understand that she grew from them, but Haddie has had a very TV-easy transition into college.

Comment by brycealexander – February 20, 2014 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand her not being there simply because I know the actor isn’t always available, but I hate when shows just forget about a character. Have they even mentioned Haddie since she went to college? I prefer when they throw in little lines now and then (at least once a season) like “Remember what happened when Haddie visited last weekend” or “I wish Haddie could’ve made it home for this.”

Comment by rhfairchild – February 20, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree they could have mentioned her here and there. Like I miss Haddie our daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin, or I wonder how she is doing? Haddie called she needs money, made all A’s, got a new boyfriend. They could have done video chat like Modern family did with the olest girl. That would have made it more realistic for a family who’s oldest went away for college. Glad she is coming back.

Comment by Cristi – February 23, 2014 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I too think Haddie should have been mentioned in so many of the different show. I wondered what had happened to her. Were they dissatisfied with her or had she done something and they booted her off. Nope! Now she is back. How do they think a family like the Braverman’s are supposed to be would never mention a member away at college. Ridiculous…

Comment by chevywrangler – February 24, 2014 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree!

Comment by P. Van Blaricom – March 25, 2014 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor actress, even worse character. A big fat NO from me.

Comment by Eddie – February 20, 2014 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But you dont produce the show, nor have any influcence on it, so the point is moot.

Comment by Jack – February 20, 2014 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +100 for understanding the difference between “moot” and “mute”

Comment by Daniel – February 20, 2014 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s “moo” point. Like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter. (A little Joey – Friends humor for those old enough to remember)

Comment by Nicole – February 20, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Will you marry me?

Comment by Pat – February 20, 2014 10:52 AM PDT
          • if Pat and Nicole don’t get married then true love is just a myth.

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 11:14 AM PDT
          • best line ever,

Comment by Emily – February 22, 2014 01:04 PM PDT
          • LOL I was so thinking Joey too <3

Comment by Julianna Northup – March 29, 2014 11:50 AM PDT
          • We quote that line all the time! I love when other people still have a love for Friends!

Comment by Miradna – April 3, 2014 12:14 AM PDT
      • Really we have no influence. You think the viewers have no influence? The show would not be on the air if it didn’t have so many loyal viewers.

Comment by Cristi – February 23, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And in real life, those family members that subjectively some people aren’t entirely fond of never show up again, I guess.

Comment by Ben – February 20, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree.

Comment by behindthereddoor – March 29, 2014 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad she’s coming back on the show. I miss Haddie.

Comment by Joey – February 20, 2014 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! I get that the actress is in college IRL, but they’ve barely mentioned her name this season! How hard would it have been to show Adam on the phone with Haddie calming her nerves about a big test, or Adam and Kristina having a bedtime chat about how proud they are of her?

Comment by Jon – February 20, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good! I missed Haddie! I feel that this is truly an ensemble show, and that every character is important to me; I notice when someone’s been gone. It’ll be nice to see her come back, even if it’s only for an episode this time.

Comment by Eric – February 20, 2014 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • $10 says they bring her back just to kill off the character.

Comment by Ari – February 20, 2014 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could see it. Season finale, they need some drama. Car accident on the way back to Berkeley; Braverman funeral. It would be awfully sad and I wouldn’t approve, but who knows?

Comment by Eric – February 20, 2014 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She doesn’t go to Berkeley – she goes to Cornell, on the east coast, which explains why she’s not been to visit much.

Comment by karenb – February 20, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But the family LIVES in Berkeley California….hence “on her way back to Berkeley”. I am glad to see her come back…she’s a refreshing change from Julia’s grating kids, Jabar (who can’t act), Max who is the most annoying child actor ever and Mae “I’m so edgy” Whitman.

Comment by Not Mae Whitman – February 20, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You’re insane. Mae Whitman is flawless and I love hyperbole. And Mae Whitman, seriously.

Comment by Meredith – February 20, 2014 11:39 AM PDT
          • Why do you watch the show if you don’t like anyone on it?

Comment by Tamy Massey Lemke – February 23, 2014 12:25 PM PDT
          • Someone must have a lot of time on their hands, to watch a show the hate.

Comment by Jon – February 23, 2014 06:43 PM PDT
          • Why do you even watch the show!? Geez!

Comment by BMK – March 7, 2014 12:32 AM PDT
  • So glad she’ll be back, even if it’s for just one episode. It just seems odd that she completely disappeared from the show, especially this year, without a single mention of her, almost like she never existed.

Comment by Sarah – February 20, 2014 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Love when the whole Braverman crew is together!!! It always amazed me how much she resembles Monica Potter, excellent casting!

Comment by Eric7740 – February 20, 2014 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is not like Sarah Ramos is making movies and other shows, so I am not sure how there would be issues with her availability.
    She has pretty much been forgotten on the show.

Comment by sarah – February 20, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Re: availability: Sarah Ramos is attending college (just like Haddie)

Comment by Erin – February 20, 2014 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is a full-time student at a university in NYC in real life which is why she is not acting at the moment. I am happy to have her back for an episode or two as I find her complete absence bizarre. They don’t even mention her, which is weird in that family!

Comment by CJ – February 20, 2014 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhm, maybe she is really in school. Hello.

Comment by Jon – February 23, 2014 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for Parenthood fans. Haddie’s back.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – February 20, 2014 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guess we’re wondering what happened during Season Three between Haddie and Michael B. Jordan’s character.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – February 20, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ohhh! LOVED him!

Comment by Elyse – February 20, 2014 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy that Haddie is coming back and i’m thinking something happens involving her family that makes her return necessary.The actress is in college but maybe there’s a way the show could work around that so that she could do a few episodes a season.For example the show could tape a few scenes in which we see Haddie calling her family from college and the show could spread those scenes over a few episodes.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 20, 2014 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! It’s annoyed me that we’ve had to deal with Drew’s dull college story but we didn’t get to see any of Haddie

Comment by Liz – February 20, 2014 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I was hoping that since we were following Drew to college and not Haddie it meant we would get a gay plotline, but, alas, no.

Comment by brycealexander – February 20, 2014 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! This was my problem as well. I do not care for Drew much at all and I just feel his storyline is wasted time.

Comment by Win – February 20, 2014 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About damn time!!

Comment by Ray – February 20, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Calling Haddie a “fan favorite” is a bit of a stretch. I think people don’t like her so much as they think it was weird how fully she disappeared/like seeing the whole clan together. Personally I think her character is rather annoying and self-righteous.

Comment by Merry – February 20, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup just like a lot of college aged kids. Which is why the show is so good,they make real characters that do real things.

Comment by Brad – February 20, 2014 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Being “real” doesn’t necessarily equate to being a “fave.”

Comment by Merry – February 20, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. “Parenthood fave” is extremely generous.

Comment by Milano – February 20, 2014 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I have never really cared for her and wouldn’t care less if she didn’t come back.

Comment by BMK – March 7, 2014 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear, are they bringing her back for yet another happy end season finale? The show’s season finale’s are usually rushed and incredibly unrealistic. usually everything works out great for the Bravermans.
    So this season it will probably be a school for Kristina, reunion for Joelia, wedding for Ryber, the 26st attempt to convince us that Mark and Sarah are made for each other … did I miss anything?

Comment by Arien – February 20, 2014 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, usually because they want to fix everything incase the show doesn’t come back. It is always on the fence sadly.

Comment by Jess – February 20, 2014 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be nice to see Haddie again, I haven’t missed her since there are so many loved characters, but I welcome the return. Let’s just hope she doesn’t start every line with “I mean…” as she used to! I could never figure out if it was a script thing or an actress thing, but either way she said it much too often!

Comment by Jen – February 20, 2014 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re-watching seasons one through three really made me realize how much I enjoy Haddie NOT being there. Her storylines were boring and she was always whiny.

Comment by RJ – February 20, 2014 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep thinking about how her own parents never mention Haddie as well! There was even a moment this season when it seemed like Kristina was talking about something that could affect their family and literally mentioned everyone but Haddie! She does remember she has a daughter right?

I am also surprised how Amber doesn’t mention talking to her. Didn’t they become good friends right before she left?

Comment by Nicole – February 20, 2014 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems strange to me that Haddie was sent off to college and barely makes any appearances, yet the show was able to incorporate Drew at college with no difficulty at all.

Comment by Ryann – February 23, 2014 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The actress herself is in uni.

Comment by cheddar – February 23, 2014 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they had plenty of contact with Haddie off camera…. Sarah Ramos probably coming in during spring break .. Good for her..

Comment by Doug H – February 23, 2014 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Haddie’s relationship to Max was one of the most realistic beautiful aspects of the show.

Comment by Laura – February 23, 2014 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too late to bring her back now. Its stupid!!

Comment by St. Louis – February 23, 2014 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gee, one’s daughter doesn’t just vanish upon entering college. Kids come home at the holidays, and what about summers?

Comment by dee – March 13, 2014 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many are are all on pointe in this discussion. No mention of Haddie was a major error in script. Out of sight, out of mind. She will never be the standout star but it will be interesting to see how she is weaved back into the script.

Comment by Erin – March 15, 2014 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they take it off channell 7 Queensland.hadnt been on last 2 weeks

Comment by Lisa parrella – March 18, 2014 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALL Family members need to be retained… just because someone goes off to college doesnt mean they disappear. If one of the stars has a movie to fulfill, they can leave for a few episodes, but NOT write them off. Each person is important to the storyline. I loved it when she was rebellious and dressed and looked a bit crazy. I think she is too tame now (and smoking some pot doesnt make one crazy). Please give her some meaty script to get back in the storyline. I loved it with the military guy. (but she needs to leave that behind; she’s mentioned it briefly lately; dont make it lame and bring him back — I LOVED him, but it’s too late now).

Comment by MtKat – March 20, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would Amber ( Mae Whitman) pay her ex fiancé a visit at the hospital only to end up getting hurt by the the jerk who dumped her? I would not give him any sympathy because he sounds like a selfish jerk!!! I think Amber deserves better!

Comment by Diana – April 18, 2014 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post