Pilot Scoop: Debra Messing to Headline NBC's Greg Berlanti-Produced Mysteries of Laura

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

"Outside Mullinger" Broadway Opening Night - After PartyOne pilot mystery has been solved: Smash vet Debra Messing has nabbed the lead role in NBC’s procedural The Mysteries of Laura, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Based on the Spanish series Los Misterios De Laura, the project (from über-producer Greg Berlanti and frequent collaborator Jeff Rake) follows the life and relationships of a female homicide detective (Messing) who can handle murderous criminals — but not her hell-raising twin children.

McG (The O.C., Chuck)  is set to direct the pilot, which will shoot in New York (per Messing’s request).

Comments (29)

• Please don’t cast her son from Smash as the twins on this show, thanks.

Comment by Joe – February 19, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This so much. I wouldn’t even want to see him as a corpse on this show.

Comment by CK – February 19, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HEY YOU/IN THE YOUR CONTRY FREE YOUR NICE FEELING IN THE TV FOR PEPALE SHOW/OBOUT I DONT IN THE MY CITY IN THE MY HOMEIN MY BED ROOM FREE TALK OR FREE SEE YOU OR EVERY THING /DONT MISTAKE AT MYLIFE/I LIKE YOU

Comment by mobin – March 25, 2014 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pass.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – February 19, 2014 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhh nice love her but the Pilot sounds not so interesting. But Berlanti is playing it strong. With Arrow, Flash and TTP.

Comment by spindae2 – February 19, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where can I see the pilot?

Comment by Mary – April 1, 2014 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Spanish. I love this tv show in spain. And I think that I love Debra Messing for this. It’s great actress.

Comment by tatjash – February 19, 2014 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Messing but…Pass.

Comment by Barb – February 19, 2014 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I love the spanish show and the actress there is wonderful. I think Debra can do it very well too.

Comment by May – February 19, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny that today the dutch version of this spanish show was announced as well.

Comment by Dennis – February 19, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only Mystery for this show if it is picked up is how long until it is cancelled… it is NBC after all.

Comment by aaron s – February 19, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see her playing anything other than the neurotic dingbat. Homicide detective definitely doesn’t come to mind.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – February 19, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she kills the victims, than uses her position to get away with it.

Comment by Hannah – February 19, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her!

Comment by N – February 19, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, in the spanish version the character is a very goofy and kind of distracted detective that no one takes seriously until she starts solving cases seemingly impossible, divorced from her boss at the precinct, with an attractive but womanizer partner and her mother is allways interfering in her life. So I think they will try to mimick that dynamics.

I´ve only seen it from time to time, but I think Debra Messing will be great playing that character and as procedurals seem to be very appreciated in the US, maybe it will have a chance. (sorry for my english, not my mother tongue).

Comment by Kires – February 19, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This series hinges on the age of her twins. Anything after preteen is a mistake IMO, as they’ll age out if the series lasts longer than a couple seasons.

Comment by Jon – February 19, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather see a younger version of Angela Lansbury in Murder She wrote. Debra would
    be great in that type of role. We have so many police stories.

Comment by Carolyn Levesque – February 19, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is more or less the idea! Procedural with twisting plot solved at the end of every episode ie you dont have to watch 300 from episode 1 to get the idea. The spanish version is nice family generic entertainment which is nice

Comment by Pablo from Spain – February 25, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry. I’m out. I’m trying to imagine another current procedural (CSI, NCIS, etc.) dividing it’s time between the crime and the children. I stopped watching Major Crimes because it ground to a halt for me whenever the detective went home to the boy she was caring for.

Comment by Boston2AZ – February 19, 2014 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I decided to keep watching Major Crimes BECAUSE of the relationship between Rusty and Sharon. He humanized her and I was able to stop thinking of her as Brenda’s snotty, officious adversary. His presence has not kept her from being efficient in her job and his precinct “family” is also a plus for me.
      I never watched Debra Messing’s other shows, so will reserve judgement until the time comes. I will say that even though I watched the various Law and Order shows, I never got as into them as I have the ones with a personal thread running through them–Castle, Bones, Hawaii 50, Blue Bloods, Chicago Fire, to name a few. There’s got to be more than murder and procedure for me.
      As far as I am concerned, no one will ever replace Angela Lansbury, the queen of mystery.

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 20, 2014 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Today was announced that there is going to be a Dutch version of the spanish series. Sounds to me that this is a great show and i love Debra so much. Glad she is back.

Comment by Daniel – February 19, 2014 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get how it’s a dark drama? It seems very silly. She’s a mom and a detective! If anything, sounds more like a sitcom than a dark drama.

Comment by Mark – February 19, 2014 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Messing, hate the show premise. She deserves better.

Comment by Joey – February 19, 2014 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn! I was hoping that Gibbs’ missing ex-wife could be Debra messing! We know he loves redheads and she is the right age to have been one of his wives…we can all see how he would be attracted to her…hey! Maybe not an ex, but a NEW love interest?
    This series sounds lame and I want her to be in a winner!

Comment by Mary S – February 20, 2014 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry for the typos-classic case of Sending before proofreading!
      Well, maybe she can join NCIS after NBC pulls the usual stunt of cancelling early…

Comment by Mary S – February 20, 2014 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just saw her last night in the Broadway show “Outside Mullingar”. She was incredible. If she just brings a fraction of her wit and timing, this show could have a chance.

Comment by Michael S – February 20, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One more show not to watch — she has zero acting ability.

Comment by Julie – February 20, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and a1 DATE IN earth IN THE MY LIFE IN THE MAP Igo to usa

Comment by mobin – March 25, 2014 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch the Spanish version of the show my family and friends absolutely love it honestly one of the best I’ve ever seen!! We hope for many more seasons to come. Regarding the US version I’m sure the did their homework and if they do it just like the one in Spain trust me everyone will love it! I think Debra is an amazing actress and I wish her well and know she will bring Laura to life! Can’t wait!

Comment by Martha – March 30, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post