Pilot Scoop: Debra Messing to Headline NBC's Greg Berlanti-Produced Mysteries of Laura

"Outside Mullinger" Broadway Opening Night - After PartyOne pilot mystery has been solved: Smash vet Debra Messing has nabbed the lead role in NBC’s procedural The Mysteries of Laura, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Based on the Spanish series Los Misterios De Laura, the project (from über-producer Greg Berlanti and frequent collaborator Jeff Rake) follows the life and relationships of a female homicide detective (Messing) who can handle murderous criminals — but not her hell-raising twin children.

McG (The O.C., Chuck)  is set to direct the pilot, which will shoot in New York (per Messing’s request).

1. Joe says:

Please don’t cast her son from Smash as the twins on this show, thanks.

2. Rebecca Parker says:

Pass.

3. spindae2 says:

Ohhh nice love her but the Pilot sounds not so interesting. But Berlanti is playing it strong. With Arrow, Flash and TTP.

4. tatjash says:

I’m Spanish. I love this tv show in spain. And I think that I love Debra Messing for this. It’s great actress.

5. Barb says:

I love Messing but…Pass.

6. May says:

Great! I love the spanish show and the actress there is wonderful. I think Debra can do it very well too.

7. Dennis says:

Funny that today the dutch version of this spanish show was announced as well.

8. aaron s says:

Only Mystery for this show if it is picked up is how long until it is cancelled… it is NBC after all.

9. Magically Suspicious says:

I don’t see her playing anything other than the neurotic dingbat. Homicide detective definitely doesn’t come to mind.

10. Kires says:

Well, in the spanish version the character is a very goofy and kind of distracted detective that no one takes seriously until she starts solving cases seemingly impossible, divorced from her boss at the precinct, with an attractive but womanizer partner and her mother is allways interfering in her life. So I think they will try to mimick that dynamics.

I´ve only seen it from time to time, but I think Debra Messing will be great playing that character and as procedurals seem to be very appreciated in the US, maybe it will have a chance. (sorry for my english, not my mother tongue).

11. Jon says:

This series hinges on the age of her twins. Anything after preteen is a mistake IMO, as they’ll age out if the series lasts longer than a couple seasons.

12. Carolyn Levesque says:

I would rather see a younger version of Angela Lansbury in Murder She wrote. Debra would
    be great in that type of role. We have so many police stories.

• Pablo from Spain says:

That is more or less the idea! Procedural with twisting plot solved at the end of every episode ie you dont have to watch 300 from episode 1 to get the idea. The spanish version is nice family generic entertainment which is nice

13. Boston2AZ says:

Sorry. I’m out. I’m trying to imagine another current procedural (CSI, NCIS, etc.) dividing it’s time between the crime and the children. I stopped watching Major Crimes because it ground to a halt for me whenever the detective went home to the boy she was caring for.

• Kathie Menker says:

I decided to keep watching Major Crimes BECAUSE of the relationship between Rusty and Sharon. He humanized her and I was able to stop thinking of her as Brenda’s snotty, officious adversary. His presence has not kept her from being efficient in her job and his precinct “family” is also a plus for me.
      I never watched Debra Messing’s other shows, so will reserve judgement until the time comes. I will say that even though I watched the various Law and Order shows, I never got as into them as I have the ones with a personal thread running through them–Castle, Bones, Hawaii 50, Blue Bloods, Chicago Fire, to name a few. There’s got to be more than murder and procedure for me.
      As far as I am concerned, no one will ever replace Angela Lansbury, the queen of mystery.

14. Daniel says:

Today was announced that there is going to be a Dutch version of the spanish series. Sounds to me that this is a great show and i love Debra so much. Glad she is back.

15. Mark says:

I don’t get how it’s a dark drama? It seems very silly. She’s a mom and a detective! If anything, sounds more like a sitcom than a dark drama.

16. Joey says:

Love Messing, hate the show premise. She deserves better.

17. Mary S says:

Darn! I was hoping that Gibbs’ missing ex-wife could be Debra messing! We know he loves redheads and she is the right age to have been one of his wives…we can all see how he would be attracted to her…hey! Maybe not an ex, but a NEW love interest?
    This series sounds lame and I want her to be in a winner!

• Mary S says:

Sorry for the typos-classic case of Sending before proofreading!
      Well, maybe she can join NCIS after NBC pulls the usual stunt of cancelling early…

18. Michael S says:

I just saw her last night in the Broadway show “Outside Mullingar”. She was incredible. If she just brings a fraction of her wit and timing, this show could have a chance.

19. Julie says:

One more show not to watch — she has zero acting ability.

20. mobin says:

and a1 DATE IN earth IN THE MY LIFE IN THE MAP Igo to usa

21. Martha says:

I watch the Spanish version of the show my family and friends absolutely love it honestly one of the best I’ve ever seen!! We hope for many more seasons to come. Regarding the US version I’m sure the did their homework and if they do it just like the one in Spain trust me everyone will love it! I think Debra is an amazing actress and I wish her well and know she will bring Laura to life! Can’t wait!