Gotham Scoop: Jada Pinkett Smith Goes Gangster in Fox's Batman Prequel Series

Get More: Casting News, News

Gotham Cast Jada Pinkett SmithJada Pinkett Smith will be among the big bads in Fox’s much anticipated Gotham series.

RELATED | Holy Gotham! Fox’s James Gordon Series Will Include Bruce Wayne, Penguin, Others

TVLine has learned that TV’s erstwhile Hawthorne has landed the series regular role of Fish Mooney, a sadistic gangster boss and nightclub owner. Wielding street smarts and the almost extra-sensory ability to read people, Fish is imposing and hotheaded — and not one to be crossed.

RELATED | Fox Orders to Series Gotham, Origin Story for Batman Lore’s Commissioner Gordon

Exploring the origin stories of DC Comics lawman James Gordon (Southland‘s Ben McKenzie) and the villains that made the titular city famous, Gotham also stars Donal Logue (Terriers) as Detective Harvey Bullock, Zabryna Guevara (Burn Notice) as Captain Essen, Erin Richards (Breaking In) as James’ fiancee Barbara Kean and Sean Pertwee (Camelot) as the wealthy Wayne family’s servant, Alfred Pennyworth.

Smith’s credits also include the two Matrix sequels (where she played badass Niobe), Collateral, Kingdom Come and TV’s A Different World.

Comments (27)

• “As previously reported, low-level psychopath Oswald Cobblepot aka The Penguin (to be played by Robin Lord Taylor) will be in Fish Mooney’s employ.” Penguin Begins, heh.

And, of course, Penguins eat fish. I’m sure a variation of that statement will be uttered at some point.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 19, 2014 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh god im already banging my head against a desk over how lame that will be.
      just when i thought the casting of donal logue means it wont be terrible they go and cast jada smith, one of the 3/4 of the smith family who has no talent, my expectations have gone back through the floor.

Comment by Alan – February 19, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am slightly concerned that this might mean the tone of the show will be campy. I won’t lie.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 19, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He better eat her in the pilot.

Comment by Hannah – February 19, 2014 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do not like this casting choice. I’ll still watch though. Hopefully she’ll prove me wrong.

Comment by enri – February 19, 2014 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You took the words right out of my mouth. I have loved every other casting choice but when I read this the first thought that came to mind was “Well, I WAS going to watch this”. I’ll still give it a shot though. Maybe she’ll have limited screen time.

Comment by Tookie Clothespin – February 19, 2014 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I love Jada Pinkett to pieces so I’m really looking forward to seeing her on my TV screen each week. The casting for Gotham keeps getting better. I’m excited for this project!

Comment by William – February 19, 2014 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of a bad ass female gangster and Jada can definitely play the role with the intimidating hard edge that it needs.

Comment by Kaycee – February 19, 2014 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay…love Jada! I will definitely be watching

Comment by L – February 19, 2014 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect casting! This role was made for Jada. Can’t wait to watch.

Comment by Jared – February 19, 2014 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She will awesome. She has this rough around the edges about her. This will be awesome

Comment by Liz – February 19, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a terrible photo of JPS, who is a talented actor AND a beautiful black woman. What’s up with the weird whitewashing, TVline?

Comment by DR – February 19, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that seems to be the headshot all the sites are using about this, JPS must have asked for it..?

Comment by Danyelle – February 19, 2014 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am ok with her casting as long as she does not and is not allowed to bring her children on the show then all will be fine in my book.

Comment by Butters – February 19, 2014 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haven’t you heard? Jaden will be Batman!!! And Willow Batgirl, obviously.

Comment by Hannah – February 19, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather see her as their CATWOMAN!

Comment by MamaLyn MamaLyn – February 19, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how to feel about this one. Is she really going to bring much to the show?

Comment by Ram510 – February 19, 2014 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit, I’ve started rolling my eyes whenever the Smiths are mentioned. As long as the kids stay far away I guess I will give it a shot.

Comment by Drew – February 19, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, might want to change that name; Fish? No.

Comment by Plum – February 19, 2014 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting idea for a female gangster boss. I’m sure she can do it and no I am not holding the downward trending career of the Smiths against her. As they say in baseball, “you are only as good as your next day’s starter”

Comment by Gregory Eckes (@UnitedWhofans) – February 19, 2014 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing she was ever good in was Set It Off. That’s it. I only enjoyed her in Scream 2 because she got killed in the first 10 minutes.

Other than that, I really can’t stand her (or that god-awful TV show, HawthoRNe).

Comment by Andrew – February 19, 2014 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROCK. BOTTOM.

Comment by Will – February 19, 2014 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually I do not learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that
    this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it!
    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

Comment by Babysitting telecharger gratuit – February 20, 2014 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have seen poorer choices and less talanted actors on many of the shows we all watch and comment upon. Interesting……..

Comment by betty – February 20, 2014 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t really see Pinkett as a tough mob boss. She’s going to have to convince me. First casting choice for this show that has disappointed me, all of the others have been fantastic.

Comment by Jefferson – February 20, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you not watch her in the Matrix?!?!?! She can do tough.

Comment by Jules – March 4, 2014 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the admin of this web site is in fact working
    hard for his website, since here every stuff is quality based information.

Comment by Nathaniel – April 18, 2014 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post