Gotham Scoop: Jada Pinkett Smith Goes Gangster in Fox's Batman Prequel Series

Gotham Cast Jada Pinkett SmithJada Pinkett Smith will be among the big bads in Fox’s much anticipated Gotham series.

RELATED | Holy Gotham! Fox’s James Gordon Series Will Include Bruce Wayne, Penguin, Others

TVLine has learned that TV’s erstwhile Hawthorne has landed the series regular role of Fish Mooney, a sadistic gangster boss and nightclub owner. Wielding street smarts and the almost extra-sensory ability to read people, Fish is imposing and hotheaded — and not one to be crossed.

RELATED | Fox Orders to Series Gotham, Origin Story for Batman Lore’s Commissioner Gordon

Exploring the origin stories of DC Comics lawman James Gordon (Southland‘s Ben McKenzie) and the villains that made the titular city famous, Gotham also stars Donal Logue (Terriers) as Detective Harvey Bullock, Zabryna Guevara (Burn Notice) as Captain Essen, Erin Richards (Breaking In) as James’ fiancee Barbara Kean and Sean Pertwee (Camelot) as the wealthy Wayne family’s servant, Alfred Pennyworth.

Smith’s credits also include the two Matrix sequels (where she played badass Niobe), Collateral, Kingdom Come and TV’s A Different World.

1. “As previously reported, low-level psychopath Oswald Cobblepot aka The Penguin (to be played by Robin Lord Taylor) will be in Fish Mooney’s employ.” Penguin Begins, heh.

And, of course, Penguins eat fish. I’m sure a variation of that statement will be uttered at some point.

2. enri says:

Do not like this casting choice. I’ll still watch though. Hopefully she’ll prove me wrong.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have loved every other casting choice but when I read this the first thought that came to mind was “Well, I WAS going to watch this”. I’ll still give it a shot though. Maybe she’ll have limited screen time.

3. William says:

YES! I love Jada Pinkett to pieces so I’m really looking forward to seeing her on my TV screen each week. The casting for Gotham keeps getting better. I’m excited for this project!

4. Kaycee says:

I like the idea of a bad ass female gangster and Jada can definitely play the role with the intimidating hard edge that it needs.

5. L says:

Yay…love Jada! I will definitely be watching

6. Jared says:

Perfect casting! This role was made for Jada. Can’t wait to watch.

7. Liz says:

She will awesome. She has this rough around the edges about her. This will be awesome

8. DR says:

What a terrible photo of JPS, who is a talented actor AND a beautiful black woman. What’s up with the weird whitewashing, TVline?

9. Butters says:

I am ok with her casting as long as she does not and is not allowed to bring her children on the show then all will be fine in my book.

10. I would rather see her as their CATWOMAN!

11. Ram510 says:

I don’t know how to feel about this one. Is she really going to bring much to the show?

12. Drew says:

I have to admit, I’ve started rolling my eyes whenever the Smiths are mentioned. As long as the kids stay far away I guess I will give it a shot.

13. Plum says:

Yeah, might want to change that name; Fish? No.

14. Interesting idea for a female gangster boss. I’m sure she can do it and no I am not holding the downward trending career of the Smiths against her. As they say in baseball, “you are only as good as your next day’s starter”

15. Andrew says:

The only thing she was ever good in was Set It Off. That’s it. I only enjoyed her in Scream 2 because she got killed in the first 10 minutes.

Other than that, I really can’t stand her (or that god-awful TV show, HawthoRNe).

16. Will says:

ROCK. BOTTOM.

17. Usually I do not learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that
    this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it!
    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

18. betty says:

I have seen poorer choices and less talanted actors on many of the shows we all watch and comment upon. Interesting……..

19. Jefferson says:

Can’t really see Pinkett as a tough mob boss. She’s going to have to convince me. First casting choice for this show that has disappointed me, all of the others have been fantastic.

20. Nathaniel says:

I think the admin of this web site is in fact working
    hard for his website, since here every stuff is quality based information.

21. JoeG1988 says:

I love batman,..ever since I was a kid. I was digging what the show was gonna be about until their making up characters and casting Jada Smith, ugh. How much did Will pay to get his wife the part? Fish Mooney, ROTFL. Lame.

22. JoeG1988 says:

Just like Halle Berry in Cat Woman..worst movie ever, plus they made cat woman black! wtf was that.

23. betty says:

I enjoyed 1st episode of Gotham/will try to follow the series if Fox dosen’t get too crazy and change the times and days that might interfere with my other viewing.