Pilot Scoop: Doctor Who's Karen Gillan to Star in Suburgatory Creator's Selfie Comedy for ABC

Karen Gillan ABC Pilot SelfieGreat Scot! Doctor Who alumna Karen Gillan has landed the lead role in the ABC comedy pilot Selfie, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Penned by Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek, the single-camera project follows Eliza Dooley, a self-obsessed twentysomething who is more concerned with “likes” than being liked. After suffering a very public, very humiliating breakup, she becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media “followers” than she ever imagined… but for all the wrong reasons. Eliza then enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image.

The catch? According to the good folks at HitFix, Gillan will not be using her native Scottish accent.

RELATED | Former Doctor Who David Tennant to Star in Fox’s Broadchurch Adaptation

In addition to her run as Doctor Who companion Amy Pond, Gillan’s credits include episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV and the upcoming comic-book flick Guardians of the Galaxy.

1. Eric says:

Yes! I love her, this is great news. I hope they don’t make her use an American accent though. And what’s with Emily Kapnek and redheads?

2. Love Karen but who wants to bet this will end up like “Rex Is Not Your Lawyer” not picked up at all or “Emily’s Reasons Why Not” cancelled the day after.

• Lisa says:

I agree. I love her too, but this project seems meh, and she’s not well-known enough outside of the DW fanbase.

• rowan77 says:

It sounds like a spin on Awkward which is about an unpopular girl – who people mistakenly thought was trying to commit suicide in the school bathroom – who then becomes popular as a result. I love Karen Gillam, so I hope this show is much more interesting than it sounds.

The difference between Rex Is Your Lawyer and this is that they did an early pilot in the fall for Rex, so everyone was hot on it, but it was so early – well before pilot season for broadcast TV – that the execs eventually cooled on it and got excited about the new pilots they saw in the spring. much like jingling something shiny in front of a child – their attention got diverted.

Emily’s Reasons Why Not was just a terrible show, that I think was a put pilot, so they had to make it. Just one of the most horribly written shows ever – although I have to say that Mixology rivals it on crappy dialogue.

3. mike says:

awesome news

4. Rachel says:

Sounds pretty good… I miss Amy on DW, so I’m very happy for Karen. I’ll tune in if it gets picked up! (which it better)

5. Badpenny says:

Karen is not difficult to understand even with her Scottish accent. First David, now Karen needs to adopt an American accent to be on American TV. That’s sad.
    Americans aren’t so stupid that they cannot understand a UK accent. Shows like Dr. Who and Downton Abbey draw millions of American viewers.
    The reason Networks are losing the battle to Cable is because the Networks treat its viewers like we all have 75 IQs while Cable tries to give them intelligent and complex programming.

• Liz says:

I agree about the accent thing, though I would argue that only certain types of accents. Doctor Who and Downton have really clean accents on their shows – deliberately to appeal to foreign audiences. But if you watch other British shows (like Ripper Street or Coronation Street – haha two street shows – or a bunch of other ones) the accents are much harder for non native speakers to understand. I’m Canadian and my Dad and grandad are both English so I’ve grown up with it, but sometimes those shows are hard to catch everything.
      So yes, most accents are fine but maybe they’re worried about not knowing where that line is and so they just try to avoid it whenever possible. Which is too bad. Nothing should keep Alan Cumming from using his native accent

• Leah says:

I don’t think it’s entirely about understanding a non-American accent. It’s a US show and she’s playing the lead. US shows don’t typically center around a non-US character, nor UK shows center around a non-UK character. If a UK show cast an American as their lead, they’d probably have them do a UK accent. I imagine these decisions are different when it comes to supporting cast, but when a show is set in the US and a cultural backstory is not essential to the character and show, chances are, the lead character will be American regardless of the actor.

6. Liz says:

Awesome!! Love both Kapnek and Gillan so woot!

7. Kaycee says:

I’m surprised. I thought for sure she’d focus on an exclusive movie career with Guardians of the Galaxy coming up. Either way, she’s hilarious, beautiful and a real talent.

8. CourtTV says:

Has her hair grown back after Guardians? Hope her do will be better than what Blacklist has chosen.

9. S. from A. says:

Aaaaah, this is so exciting. x) I have been missing Karen on my screen. <3

10. Buffy0531 says:

Love the news, hate the fact that she has to suppress the Scottish accent. Come on, kids had no problem understanding Shrek. Why can’t the grownups do the same? Her accent isn’t even that thick! I hope they change that, and I hope it’s a good show. She’s a talented young woman.

11. SLE says:

I love Karen Gillan but this concept sounds terrible.

• AnnieM says:

I agree. Character doesn’t sound very likable either. If she wants to start a career in American television, she should begin with a role as part of an ensemble cast on an established show, so nonWhovians will get to know her, like Parminder Nagra did with ER. ::shrug::

12. Drew says:

The accent thing might just be about the character’s background. She is playing a part… Americans use different accents all the time too.
    It is a shame though, because her accent is hot.

13. Jefferson says:

Karen’s gorgeous.

14. Jefferson says:

Sounds like the ultimate show for this narcissistic generation.

15. Jonathan says:

Karen Gillan’s Scottish accent is part of what makes her sexy in my opinion.