Scoop: CBS Developing New CSI Spin-Off; Potential Series Will Focus on Cyber Crimes

Get More: Pilots

csi spin-offCBS is going back to the still-viable CSI well, ordering a planted spin-off focusing on cyber crime.

The potential series will center on Avery Ryan, Special Agent in Charge at the Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in Quantico, VA. Ryan is tasked with solving high-octane crimes that start in the mind, live on-line, and play out into the real world.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The character, inspired by real-life Cyber Psychologist Mary Aiken (who serves as a producer), will be introduced in an episode of CSI: Original Flavor to air later this season.

Franchise creator Anthony E. Zuiker will co-write the script with longtime CSI EPs Carol Mendelsohn and Ann Donahue.

Although previous offshoots CSI: Miami and CSI: NY are no longer with us, the mothership series — now in its 14th season — continues to thrive for CBS, regularly winning its Wednesday-at-10 timeslot. Its most recent episode on Feb. 5 drew 11 million viewers – its second largest audience of the season.

Tags: ,

Comments (49)

• I’ll have to see casting before I decide if I would give it a shot or not.

Comment by Elyse – February 18, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is a GOOD IDEA…..i HOPE it works….maybe they can get CATHERINE WILLOWS back for it…..she left vegas to work for the FBI….1 can hope.

Comment by Alisa Neely – February 18, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This sounds like an easy way to replace the new show Intelligence. Similar themes, but not the same back-story. I’ll be surprised if CBS has both the new show and Intellignece on their schedule come next Fall.

Comment by dan – February 18, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I tend to agree. As much as I enjoy intelligence, it’s just not doing well enough for me to see CBS bringing it back for next year.

Comment by writingmyownway – February 18, 2014 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sounds like a cheap way to recycle the props from Intelligence to me…… Although I do like the show I feel they haven’t given it much of a chance on the night and time slot its on. Like moving it to see comparable figures etc,

Comment by Mark – March 24, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t get Willows back because she’s on Intelligence and the head of their security there!! LOL!!! And doing a good job to boot.

Comment by Apres Ski – February 18, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too late. Both previous spinoffs are long gone. I don’t think it still has the same power. NCIS is playing a risky game, but it still has powerful ratings. I don’t see the same translation to CSI!

Comment by Stacey – February 18, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From the description it doesn’t sound like they’re duplicating the same formula in a different city this time. So as long as it’s unique enough and won’t be compared side-by-side to the original, it sounds good enough to check out.

Comment by elf – February 18, 2014 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. It sounds like they are just using CSI to help launch the new show but it won’t be a clone. Honestly, it sounds just different enough to be interesting. I may check it out.

Comment by Aimee – February 19, 2014 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drat..I might have to breach my long standing hatred of procedurals / CSI for this. Although I bet the stories will be totally over the top..real cyber crime is not all that exciting.

Comment by Scott – February 18, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this a joke? Of course, Mendelsohn and Zuiker have not had anything else to brag about–and CSI original has one more season, maybe. And who knows–maybe Marg will return to be the supervisor, cause don’t think “Intelligence” is going to be around long!

Comment by GuestHere – February 18, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The mothership is still quite profitable overseas. As long as it’s even marginally profitable in the US (which it will be for a long time to come), it’s not gonig anywhere.

Comment by elf – February 18, 2014 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS give a rest my god i know they work well but another crime show.

Comment by Joe Petitjean – February 18, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. The franchise is dying. They should learn to just be happy that the mothership is still going strong.

Comment by jethro stevenson – February 18, 2014 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything to replace Intelligence! I tried so hard to give it a chance but last night’s episode was so horrid that I’m done. At least this is a plausible idea, unlike last night’s nano – bot debacle on Intelligence.

Comment by rumbleinthekitchen – February 18, 2014 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was so excited about Intelligence and having Josh Holloway back on tv but was sorely disappointed. The show is getting worse every week. Great cast. Interesting premise. Bad writing. This CSI spin-off sounds like they might take the cyber crime premise and make it work.

Comment by Ava – February 18, 2014 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. I really wanted to like it but despite a talented cast it’s been a horrible show! Last night’s episode was a joke. I hope it gets put out of it’s misery soon. It’s the only intelligent decision.

Comment by rumbleinthekitchen – February 18, 2014 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will they be casting Josh Holloway in this?

Comment by Kim – February 18, 2014 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the biggest slap in the face to the CSI:NY and CSI: Miami fans, I am so sick of CBS and it’s need for spin offs. Ugh.

Comment by Megan – February 18, 2014 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t watch CBS!

Comment by Dr. L – February 18, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That makes no sense. How is another spinoff a slap in the face to Miami and NY fans?

Comment by Annoyed – February 18, 2014 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t be absurd. This is in no way a slap in the fact to anybody. Stop being melodramatic.

Comment by Dav – February 19, 2014 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the dumbest spinoff they’ve proposed yet. Pretty soon CBS’ schedule will be full of spinoff and remakes, how original. Looks like they are taking advice from NBC

Comment by Ram510 – February 18, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is this going to be the new trend? A bunch of new crime dramas based around US Cyber Command? I like the first one, don’t think I’ll follow the rest.

Comment by Dave – February 18, 2014 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they are really are making a new one they also could have kept CSI:NY by far my favourite! Still I would watch this. Shame about Intelligence though, I like Josh Holloway.

Comment by EJ386 – February 18, 2014 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they couldn’t. CSI:NY had falling ratings and was getting very expensive to make.

Comment by Dav – February 19, 2014 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, that is a far to rational respons to my liking… I liked it.

Comment by EJ386 – February 19, 2014 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! Fair enough. :-)

Comment by Dav – February 19, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this series comes to be, it’s going to fall under the “too much of a good thing” category, and won’t last. Marg coming from CSI to a cyber command show, and then another CSI spin off that deals with cyber command? Come on.

Comment by Michael – February 18, 2014 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I don’t think Intelligence will be around next year so it probably won’t be “too much” of anything.

Comment by Jax – February 19, 2014 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL CBS is Spin-offville lol
    soon they gonna make NCIS: CSI …. spin-off of both shows lol

Comment by Titoveli – February 18, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL. CSI is running on fumes; I don’t think it can launch a new show. I guess CBS anticipates one more season, so they want another show to carry the brand. But, CSI is about crime scenes and forensics, so I don’t see this as having anything to do with that. CBS needs to start cultivating a younger, smarter audience. Too many of their shows are dumbed down, and it shows; Elementary and The Good WIfe being exceptions, and maybe Person of Interest.

Comment by mandy – February 18, 2014 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I quit watching CSI when William Petersen left. Nobody else does it for me, lol. I watched the other two, in spite of David Caruso’s emoting, for several years, but lost interest long before they got canned. As for the new spin-off, I can’t imagine a show whose whole premise is cyber-crime having enough action to spur my interest.
      I have watched 3 episodes of Intelligence, mostly On Demand because it’s opposite Castle, and like it well enough, but don’t see it lasting.
      BTW–I did watch part of one re-run episode of CSI with Ted Danson where Sara was skyping Gil, who was on sabbatical in Africa. He said he would be back soon and they would be together again. I had seen her on the CSI ads and wondered what happened with them. I always pictured them happily ever after, saving the natives in the S. American jungle. She seems to still be back on the show, so what happened to him/them?

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 20, 2014 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS, The very best show on T V

Comment by Steve B – February 18, 2014 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IN YOUR MIND

Comment by @TVMaury – February 18, 2014 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS has done enough with spin-offs whether it’s CSI or NCIS. Enough is enough already and CBS’ reign of terror still needs to end.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – February 18, 2014 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! CBS needs a new point of view and get rid of Nina Tassler who failed to launch a real NEW success show so far. She doesn’t know how to do her job anymore so she has to be replaced and then CBS can look forward. It looks like CW with Dawn Ostroff.

Comment by Jo3y – February 18, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, this is an old pilot that CBS had in development a couple of seasons ago. They ordered the script from Zuiker, but it was never sent to pilot.

I like the move as it represents old school TV development. I know people are referring to it as a “spinoff”, but it is really an “embedded pilot”. The nets used to do this all the time. Hell, I think Golden Girls had one just about every year with only Empty Nest’s making the cut. By filming an embedded pilot, the net gets to see if the premise will work without actually incurring the cost of a pilot and the episode itself automatically gets included as part of the parent series syndication deal. This practice should work really well with today’s technology because the nets would get immediate feedback as to whether the viewers like the pilot or not.

Also, think of this. Intelligence is more than likely a goner, and if CBS picks up this new show, they can have Marg play Catherine Willows in the new show because her character left CSI to work for the FBI. :D

Comment by ragincajun – February 18, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Deadline is reporting that this pilot is not related to the Cyber Crimes drama Zuiker created for CBS four seasons ago. Still, it goes to show that he has been thinking about the topic for quite a while.

Comment by Dav – February 19, 2014 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t this what the recently ordered MTV series Eye Candy starring Victoria Justice is about? Cyber crimes and the mystery of catfish-ers and whatnot?

Comment by Fabe – February 18, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right now CBS is developing the show but that doesn’t mean it’ll become a series.Plus i don’t think it’s fair to judge if it’ll be good or bad before we even see it or who will be starring in it.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 18, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the casting is as good as what they got for the new NCIS spin-off I will definitely check it out.

Comment by April – February 19, 2014 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m one of the few who like Intelligence. I really like the show. I love the cast and their chemistry. I do hope it gets renewed. You guys should give it a chance. It’s one of the fastest hours on tv.
    As far as the new spin-off, I’ll have to see who they will cast. I was a CSI:Miami and CSI:NY fan although I gave up on Miami a year or two before it ended because I just got tired of Horatio. I was bummed when NY was cancelled though. We’ll see.

Comment by SK – February 19, 2014 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A new CSI would mean a new team. Willows could not be used since she is on the other show Intelligence. This new CSI would have to involve a new team who could at some point do a cross over with the original CSI since both New York and Miami have both done it. The only thing that could happen is one of the stars of CSI gets recruited to run the new division featured in the new CSI since you cant use Willows.

Comment by Jared – February 19, 2014 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Willows could not be used because her character works in criminal forensics. She has no training or experience in cyber crime and it would be absurd to suggest that someone with no history or training would become the head of the department. (that doesn’t rule out an occasional guest appearance though if the two departments have to work together.)

Comment by Dav – February 19, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait…

Comment by cali – February 19, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dont do another CSI. Bring back CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. In my opinion they are better than the original CSI unless Grissom comes back. You can bring on all the NCIS you won’t to but they wont be as great as the original NCIS. Maybe someday Ziva will come back. The “new girl” is ok. She reminds me of Spencer Reed on Criminal Minds. This cast has always “gelled” like they were supposed to be together.

Comment by Beth – February 21, 2014 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love CSI and if you want to make another one, bring back the cast from CSI Miami. I really miss that show.

Comment by Wanda – March 7, 2014 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post