Scoop: CBS Developing New CSI Spin-Off; Potential Series Will Focus on Cyber Crimes

csi spin-offCBS is going back to the still-viable CSI well, ordering a planted spin-off focusing on cyber crime.

The potential series will center on Avery Ryan, Special Agent in Charge at the Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in Quantico, VA. Ryan is tasked with solving high-octane crimes that start in the mind, live on-line, and play out into the real world.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The character, inspired by real-life Cyber Psychologist Mary Aiken (who serves as a producer), will be introduced in an episode of CSI: Original Flavor to air later this season.

Franchise creator Anthony E. Zuiker will co-write the script with longtime CSI EPs Carol Mendelsohn and Ann Donahue.

Although previous offshoots CSI: Miami and CSI: NY are no longer with us, the mothership series — now in its 14th season — continues to thrive for CBS, regularly winning its Wednesday-at-10 timeslot. Its most recent episode on Feb. 5 drew 11 million viewers – its second largest audience of the season.

1. Elyse says:

I’ll have to see casting before I decide if I would give it a shot or not.

2. Alisa Neely says:

this is a GOOD IDEA…..i HOPE it works….maybe they can get CATHERINE WILLOWS back for it…..she left vegas to work for the FBI….1 can hope.

• dan says:

This sounds like an easy way to replace the new show Intelligence. Similar themes, but not the same back-story. I’ll be surprised if CBS has both the new show and Intellignece on their schedule come next Fall.

• I tend to agree. As much as I enjoy intelligence, it’s just not doing well enough for me to see CBS bringing it back for next year.

• Mark says:

Sounds like a cheap way to recycle the props from Intelligence to me…… Although I do like the show I feel they haven’t given it much of a chance on the night and time slot its on. Like moving it to see comparable figures etc,

3. Apres Ski says:

You can’t get Willows back because she’s on Intelligence and the head of their security there!! LOL!!! And doing a good job to boot.

4. Stacey says:

Too late. Both previous spinoffs are long gone. I don’t think it still has the same power. NCIS is playing a risky game, but it still has powerful ratings. I don’t see the same translation to CSI!

• elf says:

From the description it doesn’t sound like they’re duplicating the same formula in a different city this time. So as long as it’s unique enough and won’t be compared side-by-side to the original, it sounds good enough to check out.

• Aimee says:

I agree. It sounds like they are just using CSI to help launch the new show but it won’t be a clone. Honestly, it sounds just different enough to be interesting. I may check it out.

5. Scott says:

Drat..I might have to breach my long standing hatred of procedurals / CSI for this. Although I bet the stories will be totally over the top..real cyber crime is not all that exciting.

6. GuestHere says:

Is this a joke? Of course, Mendelsohn and Zuiker have not had anything else to brag about–and CSI original has one more season, maybe. And who knows–maybe Marg will return to be the supervisor, cause don’t think “Intelligence” is going to be around long!

• elf says:

The mothership is still quite profitable overseas. As long as it’s even marginally profitable in the US (which it will be for a long time to come), it’s not gonig anywhere.

7. Joe Petitjean says:

CBS give a rest my god i know they work well but another crime show.

• jethro stevenson says:

Exactly. The franchise is dying. They should learn to just be happy that the mothership is still going strong.

8. Anything to replace Intelligence! I tried so hard to give it a chance but last night’s episode was so horrid that I’m done. At least this is a plausible idea, unlike last night’s nano – bot debacle on Intelligence.

• Ava says:

I was so excited about Intelligence and having Josh Holloway back on tv but was sorely disappointed. The show is getting worse every week. Great cast. Interesting premise. Bad writing. This CSI spin-off sounds like they might take the cyber crime premise and make it work.

• Exactly. I really wanted to like it but despite a talented cast it’s been a horrible show! Last night’s episode was a joke. I hope it gets put out of it’s misery soon. It’s the only intelligent decision.

9. Kim says:

Will they be casting Josh Holloway in this?

10. Megan says:

This is the biggest slap in the face to the CSI:NY and CSI: Miami fans, I am so sick of CBS and it’s need for spin offs. Ugh.

11. Ram510 says:

This is the dumbest spinoff they’ve proposed yet. Pretty soon CBS’ schedule will be full of spinoff and remakes, how original. Looks like they are taking advice from NBC

12. Dave says:

So is this going to be the new trend? A bunch of new crime dramas based around US Cyber Command? I like the first one, don’t think I’ll follow the rest.

13. EJ386 says:

If they are really are making a new one they also could have kept CSI:NY by far my favourite! Still I would watch this. Shame about Intelligence though, I like Josh Holloway.

14. Michael says:

If this series comes to be, it’s going to fall under the “too much of a good thing” category, and won’t last. Marg coming from CSI to a cyber command show, and then another CSI spin off that deals with cyber command? Come on.

15. Titoveli says:

LOL CBS is Spin-offville lol
    soon they gonna make NCIS: CSI …. spin-off of both shows lol

16. mandy says:

LOL. CSI is running on fumes; I don’t think it can launch a new show. I guess CBS anticipates one more season, so they want another show to carry the brand. But, CSI is about crime scenes and forensics, so I don’t see this as having anything to do with that. CBS needs to start cultivating a younger, smarter audience. Too many of their shows are dumbed down, and it shows; Elementary and The Good WIfe being exceptions, and maybe Person of Interest.

• Kathie Menker says:

I quit watching CSI when William Petersen left. Nobody else does it for me, lol. I watched the other two, in spite of David Caruso’s emoting, for several years, but lost interest long before they got canned. As for the new spin-off, I can’t imagine a show whose whole premise is cyber-crime having enough action to spur my interest.
      I have watched 3 episodes of Intelligence, mostly On Demand because it’s opposite Castle, and like it well enough, but don’t see it lasting.
      BTW–I did watch part of one re-run episode of CSI with Ted Danson where Sara was skyping Gil, who was on sabbatical in Africa. He said he would be back soon and they would be together again. I had seen her on the CSI ads and wondered what happened with them. I always pictured them happily ever after, saving the natives in the S. American jungle. She seems to still be back on the show, so what happened to him/them?

17. Steve B says:

NCIS, The very best show on T V

18. Tran 2.0 says:

CBS has done enough with spin-offs whether it’s CSI or NCIS. Enough is enough already and CBS’ reign of terror still needs to end.

• Jo3y says:

This! CBS needs a new point of view and get rid of Nina Tassler who failed to launch a real NEW success show so far. She doesn’t know how to do her job anymore so she has to be replaced and then CBS can look forward. It looks like CW with Dawn Ostroff.

19. ragincajun says:

Actually, this is an old pilot that CBS had in development a couple of seasons ago. They ordered the script from Zuiker, but it was never sent to pilot.

I like the move as it represents old school TV development. I know people are referring to it as a “spinoff”, but it is really an “embedded pilot”. The nets used to do this all the time. Hell, I think Golden Girls had one just about every year with only Empty Nest’s making the cut. By filming an embedded pilot, the net gets to see if the premise will work without actually incurring the cost of a pilot and the episode itself automatically gets included as part of the parent series syndication deal. This practice should work really well with today’s technology because the nets would get immediate feedback as to whether the viewers like the pilot or not.

Also, think of this. Intelligence is more than likely a goner, and if CBS picks up this new show, they can have Marg play Catherine Willows in the new show because her character left CSI to work for the FBI. :D

• Dav says:

Actually, Deadline is reporting that this pilot is not related to the Cyber Crimes drama Zuiker created for CBS four seasons ago. Still, it goes to show that he has been thinking about the topic for quite a while.

20. Fabe says:

Isn’t this what the recently ordered MTV series Eye Candy starring Victoria Justice is about? Cyber crimes and the mystery of catfish-ers and whatnot?

21. Andrew Hass says:

Right now CBS is developing the show but that doesn’t mean it’ll become a series.Plus i don’t think it’s fair to judge if it’ll be good or bad before we even see it or who will be starring in it.

22. April says:

If the casting is as good as what they got for the new NCIS spin-off I will definitely check it out.

23. SK says:

I guess I’m one of the few who like Intelligence. I really like the show. I love the cast and their chemistry. I do hope it gets renewed. You guys should give it a chance. It’s one of the fastest hours on tv.
    As far as the new spin-off, I’ll have to see who they will cast. I was a CSI:Miami and CSI:NY fan although I gave up on Miami a year or two before it ended because I just got tired of Horatio. I was bummed when NY was cancelled though. We’ll see.

24. Jared says:

A new CSI would mean a new team. Willows could not be used since she is on the other show Intelligence. This new CSI would have to involve a new team who could at some point do a cross over with the original CSI since both New York and Miami have both done it. The only thing that could happen is one of the stars of CSI gets recruited to run the new division featured in the new CSI since you cant use Willows.

• Dav says:

Willows could not be used because her character works in criminal forensics. She has no training or experience in cyber crime and it would be absurd to suggest that someone with no history or training would become the head of the department. (that doesn’t rule out an occasional guest appearance though if the two departments have to work together.)

25. cali says:

I can’t wait…

26. Beth says:

Dont do another CSI. Bring back CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. In my opinion they are better than the original CSI unless Grissom comes back. You can bring on all the NCIS you won’t to but they wont be as great as the original NCIS. Maybe someday Ziva will come back. The “new girl” is ok. She reminds me of Spencer Reed on Criminal Minds. This cast has always “gelled” like they were supposed to be together.

27. Wanda says:

I love CSI and if you want to make another one, bring back the cast from CSI Miami. I really miss that show.

28. Angela says:

I enjoyed the previous CSI spinoff: Miami & NY, wish you would bring them back but if I had to choose it would be Miami :-)

29. Norma says:

If they do decide to do a spin-off, the should consider Willows and Horacio together, because she was a power house in CSI and he in CSI Miami they would be great together.

30. Adrienne pavloff says:

I don’t know who reads this, but I was crushed at the loss of
    CSI: NEW YORK. Had the most diverse crimes…I am very glad that CSI: LV will not cancel anytime soon. 💣🔫🔪🔨💉