Muppets Puppeteer John Henson Dead at 48

Get More: In Memoriam, News

John Henson Dead MuppetsJohn Henson, puppeteer and son of Muppets creator Jim Henson, died Friday of a heart attack. He was 48.

The Jim Henson Company announced Henson’s death on its Facebook page Saturday.

In addition to serving as a board member and shareholder in the company behind The Muppets, Henson also performed as Sweetums the ogre in movies like Muppet Treasure Island and The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz and in various specials.

Henson is survived by his wife, Gyongyi, and daughters Katrina and Sydney.

Comments (19)

• This is tragic news. 48 is far too young to go. RIP Mr. Henson.

Comment by Studz – February 15, 2014 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hearts are too big more like hearts as kids and can not live without the second pupeteer and he was the master farr to young to die. I was a child when his father died and know I am a year younger and he dies too much life yet to live will miss

Comment by carr – February 16, 2014 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P.

Comment by Sara – February 15, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, he was younger than his father when he died. R.I.P.

Comment by steven – February 15, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP, that family has had a tough go of things.

Comment by Diz – February 15, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad, sad news for the Henson family and all those who consider the many Muppets members of their family. Condolences to his wife and daughters.

Comment by Linderella – February 15, 2014 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad news and so young. My deepest sympathies go out to his family. He is now with his Dad in Heaven and I know they are both working on the angelic muppets, for all of us to enjoy when we pass. May You Rest In Peace, Mr. Henson.

Comment by Pat – February 15, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent coverage of Legacy on short life. Blessings and Grace to entire Family. The years to come will be fruitful. Call when have time

Comment by Phillip Jackson – February 15, 2014 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad news and so young. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comment by Joey – February 15, 2014 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him on talk soup.

Comment by keith – February 15, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Different John Henson.

Comment by Meg – February 15, 2014 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rip skunk boy.

Comment by tony – February 15, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was he involved in the upcoming SyFy series?

Comment by Et al – February 15, 2014 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I didn’t see him in any of the promos though, I only saw his brother Brian Henson.

Comment by scb – February 16, 2014 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. Jim. Thank you for all you contributed to children with “The Muppets”.

Comment by Diane – February 15, 2014 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a sad news :(

Comment by Polly – February 15, 2014 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on music and thensome.

Comment by TheSpence – February 15, 2014 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad.
    There does not seem to be very much longevity in his family. His dad died at 53 and now John is gone at 48.

Comment by J.Norman – February 16, 2014 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe his sister murdered him.

Comment by A Detective – February 18, 2014 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post