ABC Family Cancels Ravenswood

Get More: Cancellations, News

ravenswood-s1-pilotRavenswood has given up the ghost.

ABC Family has cancelled the Pretty Little Liars spin-off, TVLine has learned.

RELATEDPretty Little Liars Set for PaleyFest Panel

The supernatural drama followed the spooky goings-on in a Pennsylvania town and starred Liars‘ Tyler Blackburn.

In light of the cancellation, Ravenswood‘s Feb. 4 episode, which wrapped its 10-episode freshman season, was also its series finale.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the cancellation.

Comments (130)

• So does this mean we get Caleb back full time in Rosewood????

Comment by Melissa R – February 14, 2014 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was one of my favorite male characters on Pretty Little Liars, so I hope so. I was upset when they spun him off, plus the show looked horrible. I don’t think there would be any reason why he wouldn’t come back. He was a favorite among the writers, thus him getting the ability to try to spin-off the show. Other than Tyler Blackburn not wanting to continue, which there is no real reason he wouldn’t, I’m sure he’ll be back when Season 5 starts in the summer.

Comment by Stacie – February 14, 2014 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ravenswood was a lot better than PLL. Yes, it was teen angst/horror, but it was fun.

Comment by Tarc – February 14, 2014 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really wanted to like Ravenswood, but I can’t say I liked much. I felt like the plot jumped the gun a few times and failed to deliver. There was a lack of chemistry with the characters and I found it hard to find them at all that interesting beyond Caleb and to a degree Miranda.

I didn’t find Ravenswood at all scary or thrilling, nor did I find the drama particularly compelling. . For me PLL is a far superior show, hands down.

I also didn’t really like that they introduced the supernatural, curses, and ghosts into the PLL world. I hope the PLL writers just ignore that aspect of Ravenswood. Ravenswood may have been better as a standalone series. A good spin-off for PLL would have been something similar that followed dramatic thrillers and mysteries grounded in reality.

Comment by Ryan Karolak – March 6, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ravenswood was AWFUL. I watched 5 episodes and then gave up on it.

Comment by Elyse – February 15, 2014 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. He is the best and I hope he comes back realizing he left the true person he loves Hanna. Good, that they stopped the cast of Racenswood. It’s like if he was Ghost whisperer. Bring back Hanna’s hot cool hunch and save her from being fool by the officer. Man this season that’s coming better drop our jaws.

Comment by Samantha Lopez – March 10, 2014 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they can work in a Pam Ewing type “fantasy season” that never happened, the episode where Hanna visited wasn’t referenced on PLL. The car accident could have put him in the hospital and the whole supernatural aspect could be written off a dream, and Miranda survived too. The ghost thing was DUMB, and I think the reason the show failed. It could have been a darker PLL, but Luke Olivia and Remy were soooooo boring.

Comment by Shazay – February 14, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was my problem. I couldn’t warm up to the rest of the cast. Especially the twins.

Comment by Radha – February 15, 2014 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my god, can we get a wrap up? I never watched Pretty little Liars, but I happened upon ravenswood, all i want is a wrap up, I figured there was not much they could do to go past one season anyway. Just wrap it up and give me answers

Comment by Poetic Vibrance (@PoeticVibrance) – February 14, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also watched Ravenswood, but never PLL. It really isn’t fair to end the series without a wrap up. Ravenswood was really very good. I think a lot of people never gave ot a chance.

Comment by Maryann – February 14, 2014 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Goodness I hope so! It was a mistake to move him over, and the ridiculously contrived reasons they made up to break him and Hanna up. Move him back to PLL and set everything right again pleaaaaaase.

Comment by Liz – February 14, 2014 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Caleb just got Roper’d.

Comment by Et al – February 15, 2014 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow! Someone else reading this post remembers The Ropers?! <3

Comment by gia – February 15, 2014 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A) If he doesn’t come between Mona and Hanna, and
      B) If he brings Remy and her wonderful hair with him.

Comment by Kristana – February 17, 2014 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was to be expected.

Comment by Sarah-Ann – February 14, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess it was a lil too dark for some people. I personally loved it tho

Comment by Dee – February 14, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Caleb is going back to PLL then!

Comment by A. D. – February 14, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They tried. It definitely was losing me, that’s for sure. I hope this means Caleb will be back on PLL pronto.

Comment by ScorpionGlow – February 14, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess Caleb will be back on PLL permanently, although I don’t want him back with Hanna—-he is too good for her! I hope they resolve the Ravenswood plotlines on an episode of PLL.

Comment by alistaircrane – February 14, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should’ve kept The Lying Game.

Comment by Rachel – February 14, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Court (@wordsleadmeon) – February 14, 2014 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. That show was on fire toward the end of it’s run, moreso than PLL at the time. As for Ravenswood, no loss IMO; I watched it hoping it would get better as it went along. And for me, it never did. Outside of Caleb, I was forcing myself to care about any of the characters(although I did think Meg Foster was creepy in a good way).

Comment by ChrisGa – February 14, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree – The Lying Game was a GREAT show and 10x better than Ravenswood, or Twisted, for that matter.

Comment by cassiegill – February 14, 2014 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This!!!! The Lying Game was getting good!!!! Ravenswood was boring and the last episode was lackluster. I watch Twisted and all I wanted Danny to do is tell what really happened to his aunt and call it a day (or a series finale).

Comment by Britt – February 14, 2014 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ABC Family seems to do well with mysteries, dramas, and thrillers, but less so with anything that they introduce the supernatural into. They really should stick at improving the types of shows they are good at.

Comment by Ryan Karolak – March 6, 2014 01:16 PM PDT
    • The lying game was soooo much better than PLL or Ravenswood.

Comment by Crabbything – February 14, 2014 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!! I 100% agree.

Comment by Elyse – February 15, 2014 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the lying game had those superb adult characters, too so it should have had broader appeal than ravenswood. And it just got really interesting when they pulled the plug

— IMPORTANT QUESTION (to me at least): do they (networks or whoever actually calls the shots on this) ever re-decide to continue a show after a cancellation turns out as not helpful? Might they decide to bring it back?

I mean TLG was better received than Ravenswood, or do I remember that incorrectly?

Comment by aw – February 16, 2014 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sometimes networks bring cancelled show back, but it’s very rare and they must have a special reason for doing it. It usually happens when they axed something for budgetary reasons and then find a new economic strategy/ business deal that makes it possible to resume production. Examples: Drop Dead Diva, The Killing, The Game, Futurama…

The Lying Game got cancelled because of low ratings, there are no reasons business-wise to do more episodes, ABC Family can easily make new shows in case of need, so there are no chances whatsoever of a Lying Game resurrection.

Everybody saw a favorite show of his/her cancelled; it sucks but that’s the way it is.

Comment by Hannah – February 16, 2014 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED The Lying Game! That show was way better than PLL. It was horrible the way they canceled the show. I like PLL too but not as much as The Lying Game.

Comment by Gloria – March 7, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG love the lying game! They should have totally kept that ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Comment by Kate – March 11, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I can delete it from my dvr. I have all the episodes saved and never got around to watching it.

Comment by Megs – February 14, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated the Halloween episode that Pretty Little Liars did in Ravenswood. I always felt there was way too much going on PLL that another whole new mystery was unnecessary.

Comment by Stacie – February 14, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good

Comment by Sean – February 14, 2014 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried to like it. Hope Caleb makes it back to PLL….

Comment by tazzy – February 14, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad. I actually enjoyed it. Took a bit to warm up to it but it was getting much better.

Comment by Carolinagirl – February 14, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the PLLs will visit the town again and wrap up some plot lines

Comment by WayneInNYC – February 14, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww this is sad! but at least the ending wasn’t stupid!

Comment by The Kiss of Joy – February 14, 2014 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caleb back to PLL then. Dumb move canceling lying game then.

Comment by Jacqi – February 14, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it…but I’m ok with the cancellation I guess. I just want Caleb back on PLL!

Comment by Robin – February 14, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmph. I would at least like the storyline wrapped up.

And I too hope he comes back to PLL but agree that he is too good for Hanna

Comment by Amber – February 14, 2014 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope that means Twisted will be renewed.

Comment by Kate – February 14, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, they should have kept Bunheads.

Comment by Lucy – February 14, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1000

Comment by xx – February 15, 2014 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bunheads is gonna be the Firefly of ABC Family

Comment by Alice – February 17, 2014 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could have at least gave it an ending with some closure. Bring back the Lying Game!

Comment by Diz – February 14, 2014 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He can stay gone. I really like Holbrook and Hanna

Comment by kara – February 14, 2014 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did the producers of the show not see this coming? They should have at least gave us some closure. Hopefully all be explained at some point.

Comment by webly3 – February 14, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The entire season was probably already written and much of it was already filmed when the ratings started coming in poorly.

Comment by DM – February 15, 2014 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ravenswood was definitely better towards the end of its season but it struggled to find its creative direction. Tyler Blackburn was great as was the rest of the cast.

Comment by Jared – February 14, 2014 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • besides the ratings it only got canceled cause some bitch 14 years olds wanted their”precious” Haleb back

Comment by nateddog – February 14, 2014 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or because the show was awful?? just a thought.

Comment by Elyse – February 15, 2014 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^ Are you kidding me? The guy that played Luke was such a horrible actor.

Comment by militantgod – February 14, 2014 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Butth3ads!

Comment by Linda – February 14, 2014 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get Caleb back on that bus to Rosewood!

Comment by Deena – February 14, 2014 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never went back after the holidays. Just couldn’t get into it at all.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 14, 2014 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same here. it was absolutely terrible!

Comment by Elyse – February 15, 2014 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show, but I hope Caleb will come back to PLL

Comment by Lori – February 14, 2014 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares?! And while we are at it, they might as well give pll its last season so we can all move on. The only teenage drama I really loved was Jane by design!! And it was cancelled!!

Comment by azu – February 14, 2014 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Jane by Design was my show. It had a great idea and a decent cast, but nobody gave it the time of day. That was back went PLL and SaB were getting really big so nobody really had time for it. Jane by Design is definitely a show they should bring back.

Comment by Andrea – February 16, 2014 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shut your face!! I love pretty little liars! Jbd got boring fast.
      I don’t wish cancellation on any series. Stop being bitter.
      Jeez. Pll is my favorite show. If it ended without closure I’d be pissed and never watch another abc series since they’re notorious for cancelling

Comment by dogipal – February 20, 2014 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a truly awesome tv show… said no one ever.
    Anyway, I’ve only watched the first two episodes and I was bored to death. Even before watching it I was already finding the supernatural idea beyond stupid. For real, it was idiotic as hell. It’s like if Castle had a spinoff with Lanie as the lead, about the undead. There are things to avoid, like having two related shows set in different realities. I’m not saying that it would have been better as a PLL-independent show but at least people like me maybe would have given it a chance to begin with.

Comment by Olivia – February 14, 2014 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, does it make me a bad person that I would watch the hell out of Lanie and the undead?

Comment by Iluvonj – February 14, 2014 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My example was Will from the Good Wife finding out he’s unknowingly a time-travelling android from the future who has to go off and join the android rebellion but it’s the same point. This was a terrible idea from conception.

Comment by AudienceOfOne – February 14, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe as an independent show, it would’ve been better but I still can’t believe that they thought it was a good idea to break up Hanna and Caleb from a writer’s point of view – it’s like they *wanted* Miranda to be hated. And the acting was scarier than the story.

And yes, the different realities… come on, it’s so stupid. It’s like Lily from How I Met Your Mother being a witch or if Booth on Bones turned out to be a vampire.

Comment by CandyCurses – February 15, 2014 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Booth was a vampire.

Comment by Hannah – February 16, 2014 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ravenswood was a disappointment. Guess Caleb should be going back to Rosewood after all.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – February 14, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come home Caleb!!

Comment by Kate – February 14, 2014 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on. At least give us a resolution to the series if that is the case.

Comment by RobMF – February 14, 2014 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was terrible, I tried to like it but it just wasn’t happening.

Comment by Jennifer Whiting – February 14, 2014 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love PLL but Ravenswood took itself too seriously. That was its main issue to me. It needed a touch of humor

Comment by A – February 14, 2014 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance to sucky TV.

Comment by Jason – February 14, 2014 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is so sad I loved that show

Comment by phuong – February 14, 2014 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watched but was never a fan of Caleb. He can just stay away, in my opinion!

Comment by kd86953 – February 14, 2014 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame Caleb is going to go back to being Hanna’s lapdog. I enjoyed him much more on Ravenswood, where he had his own story and his own journey…and actually had friends to hang out with. What a bummer.

Comment by Sara – February 14, 2014 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now Caleb can come home to Rosewood and Miranda can have Ghost Caleb that got awakened in the finale. Everyone wins.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – February 14, 2014 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked it more towards the end. It definitely had its bad moments, but I wish they had a few more episodes at least to wrap it up.

Comment by R. – February 14, 2014 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the show is going to start filming in a few weeks and I imagine the first few episodes are already written. They’d have to give Tyler a new contract, which isn’t always easy. He might want to move on.

Comment by Riana – February 14, 2014 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did enjoy this show, I watched this more than PLL. So If someone don’t mind can you please don’t cancel this show.

Comment by TAMEKA – February 14, 2014 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I actually really liked that show! Can we get The Lying Game back then?

Comment by Brandy – February 14, 2014 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Lying Game and Bunheads never should have been cancelled!

Comment by DavidSask – February 14, 2014 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, does this mean Heather´s moving back to NewYork and Beauty and the Beast?

Comment by Inger – February 15, 2014 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Beauty and the Beast survives long enough for that to happen unfortunately!

Comment by Kat – February 15, 2014 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beauty And The Beast has gotten worse ratings than Ravenswood all this season.

Comment by DM – February 15, 2014 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ravenswood was one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen. I gave it 5 episodes but just couldn’t take the suck anymore.

Comment by Elyse – February 15, 2014 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave this show an honest try, but I couldn’t find the desire to ever watch the last 5 episodes. This show was so boring! And the supernatural element was way too over the top and felt played out and stupid. I think turning Miranda into a ghost was a big mistake. I would have liked the show better if it’s central conflict was grounded in some kind of reality. Despite these problems, I think the shows biggest flaw was it’s lack of intriguing characters. I cared about Caleb and Miranda, but I couldn’t bring myself to care for the other three. A shows doomed to fail when the audience isn’t invested in about 60% of the main cast.

Comment by Pauli – February 15, 2014 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of abc family they get really good shows on and get everyone interested just to cancel after one season. Ravenswood is way better then PLL. I think they should at least try it out for one more season

Comment by Dana – February 15, 2014 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the horrible ratings were evidence that very few people were invested in it.

Comment by DM – February 15, 2014 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is soooo stupid!!! ABC Family sucks at life for doing this I loved the show soo much and thought it was awesome. all the haleb fans need to shut the hell up and go find a PLL message board to complain about on cuz its really annoying jus saying. i liked the chemistry between caleb and miranda it was 10x better than with hanna I feel that this happened bc of the stupid comedies that ABC Family has in their lineup they need to get rid of both of them cuz they are complete garbage and they r not even that funny to begin with. ABC Family does best with dramas not comedies so if they needed to boot some shows those should’ve been the first on the chopping block. I hope we get some sort of resoultion to the series and not have it left hanging like they did with The Lying Game. I also hope that this means they will renew Twisted. also i heard they r bringing out a new show sometime this year dont know when and i guess being only a cable network and not a broadcast network they cant that many programs in their lineup so one of them had to go to make room for it and im just sad and angry it was Ravenswood and not one of the of weaker shows aka the comedies but i really hope and pray that this new show crashes and burns big time so that they’ll see they made a huge mistake!
    P.S I love PLL and watch it all the time just an FYI