Scoop: House of Lies Actress Is Backstrom's New Female Lead, Replacing Mamie Gummer

Get More: Casting News

Genevieve Angelson BackstromRainn Wilson, meet your new leading lady.

Genevieve Angelson (House of Lies) has been tapped to replace Mamie Gummer in Backstrom, Fox’s back-from-the-dead procedural starring Wilson as an offensive, irascible detective, as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Angelson will play Detective Nicole Gravely, an ex-Vice Squad officer and the heart and soul of Portland’s Serious Crimes Unit.  Second in command to Det. Backstrom (Wilson), Gravely is tasked with not only keeping the unit together in the face of Backstrom’s personality quirks but ensuring that his unorthodox investigatory methods hold up in court.  An admirable cop, focused, intuitive, good-humored, proud and empathetic; she serves as the best decoder for Backstrom’s unorthodox and chaotic methodology. And when necessary, she’s willing to throw caution to the wind.

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, the drama also stars Ringer‘s Kristoffer Polaha, 24‘s Dennis Haysbert and Weeds‘ Page Kennedy and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts).

Comments (13)

• I think Mamie has real talent, she was my only reason for watching this generic sounding show. I have no idea why they didn’t opt to return her (did she quit?) either way. Bad move.

Comment by Kaycee – February 14, 2014 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe if the show was thought to be dead she moved on and isn’t available.

Comment by S. – February 14, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe, it’s a shame because what was great about Mamie is that yes, she’s a pretty girl but she’s not the typical Hollywood type and I think that’s much more relevant for a detective show.

Comment by Kaycee – February 14, 2014 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did Mamie quit? i hope to see her in something successful soon, she’s so talented, she deserves it

Comment by Dani – February 14, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this character was a lesbian if I’m not mistaken, is this still the case or have they written this part of her out?

Comment by Kaycee – February 14, 2014 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Fox wanted a less negative character. I would disagree with them, but two ultra negative leads could be a bad thing. Hope she stays a lesbian. TV needs more lesbians, and this is Portland we’re talking about.

Comment by Zach – February 14, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks to the gods she quit, I can’t stand her and her mother and now I found that she has a sister who is a actress too.I didn’t like her in The Good Wife.

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – February 14, 2014 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was sad about Gummer’s departure, but I’ve seen Angelson on House of Lies and I’m not interested again in the show. I think she could do well.

Comment by Rook – February 14, 2014 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Mamie Gummer I have no intention of watching this show. It’s a shame because she is great at playing smart, no-nonsense types like on The Good Wife instead of that silly Emily Owens vehicle. Maybe she should turn to Broadway for a while where her talent is more appreciated.

Comment by Midnight – February 14, 2014 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was pretty great on Emily Owens. The pilot was a bit off, but the show itself always had me smiling.

Comment by kavyn – February 15, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It seemed awful on paper, but Gummer’s character turned out to be refreshingly likable. Too bad they promoted it like a Grey’s Anatomy-copy cat and this probably alienated potential viewers.

Comment by Hannah – February 16, 2014 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is everyone acting like Mamie Gummer was the main attraction here? I was much more interested in the fact that Rainn Wilson is starring in this. He made me laugh out loud in the trailer, she… didn’t.

Comment by Zach – February 14, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show will be much better without Mamie Gummer…she just isn’t the right fit. Plus, Mamie is better as strong supporting rather than leading lady!

Comment by Maureen – February 15, 2014 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post