Scoop: House of Lies Actress Is Backstrom's New Female Lead, Replacing Mamie Gummer

Genevieve Angelson BackstromRainn Wilson, meet your new leading lady.

Genevieve Angelson (House of Lies) has been tapped to replace Mamie Gummer in Backstrom, Fox’s back-from-the-dead procedural starring Wilson as an offensive, irascible detective, as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Angelson will play Detective Nicole Gravely, an ex-Vice Squad officer and the heart and soul of Portland’s Serious Crimes Unit.  Second in command to Det. Backstrom (Wilson), Gravely is tasked with not only keeping the unit together in the face of Backstrom’s personality quirks but ensuring that his unorthodox investigatory methods hold up in court.  An admirable cop, focused, intuitive, good-humored, proud and empathetic; she serves as the best decoder for Backstrom’s unorthodox and chaotic methodology. And when necessary, she’s willing to throw caution to the wind.

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, the drama also stars Ringer‘s Kristoffer Polaha, 24‘s Dennis Haysbert and Weeds‘ Page Kennedy and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts).

1. Kaycee says:

I think Mamie has real talent, she was my only reason for watching this generic sounding show. I have no idea why they didn’t opt to return her (did she quit?) either way. Bad move.

2. Dani says:

did Mamie quit? i hope to see her in something successful soon, she’s so talented, she deserves it

3. Kaycee says:

I thought this character was a lesbian if I’m not mistaken, is this still the case or have they written this part of her out?

4. Zach says:

I think Fox wanted a less negative character. I would disagree with them, but two ultra negative leads could be a bad thing. Hope she stays a lesbian. TV needs more lesbians, and this is Portland we’re talking about.

5. Douglas from Brazil says:

Thanks to the gods she quit, I can’t stand her and her mother and now I found that she has a sister who is a actress too.I didn’t like her in The Good Wife.

6. Rook says:

I was sad about Gummer’s departure, but I’ve seen Angelson on House of Lies and I’m not interested again in the show. I think she could do well.

7. Midnight says:

Without Mamie Gummer I have no intention of watching this show. It’s a shame because she is great at playing smart, no-nonsense types like on The Good Wife instead of that silly Emily Owens vehicle. Maybe she should turn to Broadway for a while where her talent is more appreciated.

• kavyn says:

She was pretty great on Emily Owens. The pilot was a bit off, but the show itself always had me smiling.

• Hannah says:

It seemed awful on paper, but Gummer’s character turned out to be refreshingly likable. Too bad they promoted it like a Grey’s Anatomy-copy cat and this probably alienated potential viewers.

8. Zach says:

Why is everyone acting like Mamie Gummer was the main attraction here? I was much more interested in the fact that Rainn Wilson is starring in this. He made me laugh out loud in the trailer, she… didn’t.

9. Maureen says:

This show will be much better without Mamie Gummer…she just isn’t the right fit. Plus, Mamie is better as strong supporting rather than leading lady!

10. Anonymouse says:

Genevieve Angleson is such a bad actress though. They couldn’t find anything better. I remember thinking what a horrible and obvious actress she was on an episode of The glades. I was crushed to see her on House of Lies. She always does this eye rolling annoying posture. There are so many talented actresses in the world. It seems like this girl has family connections or something. She is a truly awful actress.