American Idol Judges Will Cut 5 Guys, 5 Girls Next Week -- Before They Get to Sing a Note!

Jena-AsciuttoHere’s hoping you didn’t get too attached to any of the 31 singers who survived this week’s round of brutal cuts on American Idol.

RELATED | American Idol Top 30 Announcement Recap: Side-Eye at the Not-Quite-OK Corral

At the start of Season 13’s all-new “Rush Week” (next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8/7c on Fox), judges Harry Connick Jr, Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban will eliminate one-third of the remaining contestants — without giving any of ‘em an additional opportunity to perform.

RELATED | Idol: Randy Jackson Will Discourage Overdone Songs, Be More ‘Hands-On’ in New Mentor Role

Yep, you read that right: Only 10 women will sing on Tuesday, and only 10 men will sing on Wednesday. Five guys and five gals will be viciously sent to the guillotine — in what can only be described as a whopping reversal of the generally positive tone* that’s been a hallmark of incoming executive producer Per Blankens’ tenure thus far. (*Give or take three or four absurd cuts this week, and the lack of footage explaining how/when/why several audition standouts got booted.)

[Side note/PSA: If Jena Asciutto (pictured) is one of the five women cut by the judges, I'll be leading a pack of brickbat-and-torch-wielding Idoloonies descending on Fox HQ.]

On next Thursday’s results telecast, the results of viewer votes will send five men and five women to the finals, with each judge selecting a Wild Card to complete the Season 13 Top 13. (Tuesday’s installment will also feature the results of a special viewer vote to determine whether Ben Briley or Neco Starr earns a place as this year’s 15th and final guy.)

“Rush Week” will also feature former judge Randy Jackson’s debut as in-house mentor, and a new stage designed by Baz Halpin (designer of Britney Spears’ “Piece of Me” and Pink’s “Funhouse” tours).

What do you think of the new elimination twists? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts!

1. davey says:

• steve says:

Drama Drama Drama is the reason simple as that but i agree poitnless meaningless

• Fern says:

But the audience is smarter than they’re assuming. They’re not going to overlook that the cuts are completely arbitrary. If these singers aren’t good enough why did you JUST choose them over other contestants? Why did we watch the victory package for this contestant if there would be no more performances from them?

• JVee says:

This explains the sending forward of questionable talent, don’t you think? If they knew they were going to have to do this, maybe they just wanted to make it easier on themselves to make the cuts.

• Timmah says:

What’s the point of having a top 50 just to eliminate it down to 30?

• Peg says:

What’s the of bringing 200 people to Hollywood? Next year bring 50. I can wrap my head around 50
        And 20 is easier to choose from than 30. I have a fairly good idea who the 5 best girls and guys are.

• tom22 says:

The differences have to do with if they cut without having anymore to judge upon. If they already have what they need to know they should have told each of the 30 that they would still be narrowing more in the weeks ahead based upon having a selection of contestants that different segment s of viewers would like to see.
        It’s not the right to choose but common courtesy to both contestants and audience that gets violated through disingenuous communication

• Peg says:

You’re assuming the contestants weren’t told. Where the breakdown in communication lies is with the audience. We’re the ones who have been in the dark about what was to going to happen.

Every reality show has the participants sign a contract. If you sign, you’re at the mercy of the show’s producers. All is fair and they can do what want.

Personally I’m loving watching the response from the die hard fans who somehow thought that things weren’t going to change.

• Tom22 says:

I actually voted “wait and see” as all we’ve heard is a rumor. We don’t know what else they said to the performers only how they edited the reactions and statements of the performers not to imply yet another hurdle.

They’ve gone such a long way this season cutting the crap Seacrest said in the past implying that it was about how well they sung in a way that implied it was only their voice He’s backed off on that with his wording allowing the bigger message to come through . The judges have painted the importance of things say how naturally they looked on stage… and how they are looking for something unique about them to stand out in a crowded music business where there is a glut of raw talent but always room for a new voice that had something to them that let them express things with a fresh take that people yearned to hear. The judges, as well as Ryan, are also pushing the “how do they rise to the occasion” and general ability to face the professional rigors that extend far beyond their moments at the mic. They emphasize that those qualities are equally important to the singing in terms of thriving in what can be at a rough calling.

Technically, Yes, they didn’t promise anything with the “final 15″ but they sure did puff the heck out of it as if it were meaningful and sure did frame the whole trip to the judges as a “FINAL Judgement”.

Given the reports, The way they put it was just lame… of course they can do whatever they want.. they’re allowed to act lamely if they want to. But, we do have choices and the lamer the comments, the more that dvr runs in fast forward.. or the more we look for alternative tv shows, or watch videos on youtube ….. or enjoy Michael and Melinda more than most regular TV

• Timmah says:

They never told them that they made it to the live shows, only that they were in the top 30.

• Josh says:

Definitely a real turn off. There is ZERO point to it and just comes across as a cruel and unnecessary. Also makes Hollywood round even more pointless.

• claudia says:

Oh come on! Do you really love all 31 contestants who are left? I voted “totally exciting” because there are still some iffy singers left. We all know it so obviously so do the judges. Having a pleasant voice & not much else will not make you a star. The former nurse for one – can you see her as a mega-star? Or the little blonde – one of the last girls picked? Or the 15 yr old boy? Or (dare I say it) the lesbian with a chip on her shoulder & the horrible sense of style? Someone needs to tell her grunge is dead.

And for those of you who are calling this cruel – did you think this was some kind of charity? These kids are being given a legitimate shot at a music career IF they have what it takes. Does anyone think all 31 do>?

• deedee says:

They did a mini version of this in Vegas a couple of years back – when the judges randomly cut a couple of singers that they had already put through because they were excess. It wasn’t based on any new rounds of singing – they just said, “sorry, we need to whittle the group down some more, so … bye-ee”. This is just an expanded version of this cruelty. Pointless, but glad to see Idol can still dish out the viciousness, lol.

• Tom22 says:

First, reiterating a comment above.. the question to me isn’t if it is “vicisous” or “fair” but if it is just plain “lame”. You know, like the cheap irritating way that the local news can string you along for 20 minutes through 3 commercial breaks with some interesting tag line of local interest…only to find out that they’ve got about 3 sentences of information with virtually nothing new on the subject? Just plain cheapens things … in my book its kind of ‘second rate”.. because anything that isn’t excellent is second rate (you can get to third and fourth rate too obviously)

If they want to cling to being lame, sure. I’m not sure people like it… they could certainly be less lame about how they say it.

As for the the one you mention.. it is the Edits , and the timing that made it quite a bit different. (if I recall correctly)And the fact that it wasn’t following the developed tradition of that long walk on the carpetThe edits had them mumbling about “are they putting too many through’ if I recall…at least a few hints that way. They also told them right that day too.. didn’t they?

But, yeah .. of course they can get down to 12 each side… they’ve varried the numbers that actually given to viewers to vote on from year to year and those numbers are what I would expect.

There is nothing wrong with the goal or the plan, just the presentation ….they just look like they’re jerking people around for some false drama.. the type of “drama” between 13 year girls on a playground, not a Hitchcock movie.

Idol, Don’t patronize us and don’t patronize the contestants with adolescent pranks assuming we’re going to appreciate that level of crap

• tori says:

totally agreed

• tori says:

oh just making sure the readers understand i was agreeing with “I really don’t see the point of having a top 30 if they are eliminating contestants before they sing for the public. Dumb, meaningless, cruel to the singers.”

2. Jim says:

as long as it isnt brandy, brianna, jillian, jena, majesty or mk please

• LeahKittyS says:

I 100% agree with your list. I hate that they’re even doing this. I know you can’t fit 15 performances into one night, but then why make a Top 30 in the first place? Should’ve started with a smaller number. Between this and the nerve-wracking bus thing at the hangar, this is looking like the season of cruelty.

• Jim says:

i know, this cut is gonna be nothing but evil and harsh. i just hope those 6 still are there when the dust and rioting ends

• Fern says:

I’d say the girls in danger are Kristen and Austin (their role is filled by more interesting singers); Andrina (doesn’t really have a place in Idol); Jillian (they know she’ll have a meltdown); Bria (who?); and Malaya (a ton of RnB this season and I Believe was kind of a train wreck).

All but four or five of the guys could be sent home, though. I’d put my money on Briston, Caleb, Spencer, and two of the black RnB guys (unfortunately they rarely cast more than 2 for the finals)

• Maya says:

Why is everyone so convinced Jillian will “have a meltdown” or “be a crybaby”? If we’re judging her based on X Factor, that was TWO YEARS AGO. She cried at the auditions because she was remembering how she was freaking BULLIED. The memories were hard for her! And then she cried when she GOT CUT. Savion cried when he got cut AND when he got sent through to Hollywood. Leah cried when she got cut. If Jillian’s a crybaby, then they are too, which is a totally unfair label.
        I mean, when has anyone seen her cry this season? Aside from when she was put through, which were HAPPY TEARS, we haven’t. Kenzie had a friggin emotional breakdown before she was sent through, and nobody’s claiming she’s going to have a meltdown!
        I think we all just need to take a step back and create a clean slate for Jillian, as everyone’s labeling her unfairly. She’s an extremely talented individual. America should be judging her based on her vocals, performances and artistry, not how much she cries.

• Cherrie yother says:

Spencer is my pick…..it is the looks and great singer. Harry was right ….stay who u r. w…great on “say something”..Phillip Phillips stayed true to who was….along with with. looks he won….my money and vote on spencer

3. steve says:

Drama Drama Drama thats all this is for. I had high hopes when started out that it was going to focus on the signing as it did but per is starting to drift idol back to its old ways

4. Sarah says:

1. Majesty
    2. Jena
    3. Malaya
    4. Brandy
    5. Briana

If they even dare to send one of these home. I swear to God, Per – i am coming for you.

5. Kristi says:

Why didn’t they just select a top 20 last night? It just seems cruel to say “You made it to the top 30!” and then be like “yeah no, just kidding!”

• Timmah says:

They told them they made the top 30 because they did. Now, there’s another cut down to 20. I don’t see the big deal everyone is making.

• deedee says:

The big deal is because it’s a cut based on nothing. Either have them perform one more time, or cut them during the Green Mile. This is purely filler with (probably) repackaged past-performance editing and inserted fake “deliberating” by the judges. It serves no real purpose that they had to devote a whole episode to it Green. Kind of a wasted episode.

• Sarah says:

Because they don’t have any more chance to “prove” themselves. To me it’s not cruel, just useless.

• Peg says:

That’s more to the point. Because they do have to get to some sort of top 10 or 13. The live rounds need to get started.
          Which is why it’s not a good idea to get so invested in the performers until next week.

6. Hate it. Unnecessarily cruel.

7. Lisa Leuschner says:

This is reminiscent of one of American Idol’s all-time worst injustices (I think it was Season 2 or one of the early seasons) where the genuinely talented Lisa Leuschner was invited back to sing on a “last-chance” show for those who had been cut, only to be cut AGAIN without being allowed to sing. Simon didn’t like her because she was like 15 pounds overweight or something. She sang like an angel, but all he cared about was her “look.” I believe this is the year that Ruben Studdard won.

• Disgusted says:

Whoops, for some reason this put my post down as “Lisa Leuschner.” While I wouldn’t mind being as talented as her, I am not her and am just “Disgusted.”

• Peg says:

That’s been mentioned on mjsbigblog.

• Pete says:

I STILL haven’t forgiven Idol for the Lisa Leushner thing. She would have won it all if they put her through but idol couldn’t let that happen because they were pushing Fantasia so hard and Lisa was a huge threat. If the right people get cut this week before they sing it won’t be as bad…. At least they will have had the opportunity to work with Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry. I am confident to say at least 6 were put through with producers knowing full well they would never sing live.

8. Lindsey says:

Wait, at what point can they not try out again next year?? If they made the top 30, but get cut before singing a note on Tuesday then are they considered to have made the show and eliminated from next year’s competition??? Cause that’s so wrong!!! :( Why not just let all 30 sing then let America vote half of em in/out?!?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think it’s when the Live Rounds start, Lindsey. If I’m wrong hopefully someone will correct me. I believe as long as the live rounds haven’t started they can still come back. .

9. rockgolf says:

In the 2 or so minutes they take stringing out whether each of 15 contestant gets to perform or not THEY COULD JUST SHUT UP AND LET ALL 15 PERFORM!!!
    Crap like this is why Idol has never won the Best Reality Emmy and The Voice has.

• darcy's evil twin says:

^This!

• Summer says:

I agree!! You told them they made top 15, now let them sing and have a chance at making it. I do not agree with this process at all. I really liked Jillian Jenson, and she was not even given an opportunity to sing tonight for votes. What is the point of making it to the live show, if you don’t get to sing in the live show???

10. Mark says:

I’m guessing that Randy will be very influential in cutting who he thinks is the bottom 5 girls and bottom 5 guys based on his “boot camp”. I wonder if the judges can use their wild card on someone cut rather than just the 20 that make it through to sing next week.

11. david says:

Interesting method of elimination. I do agree with having less finalists than the 30 (it will probably ultimately lead to the audience being more invested in the contestants). However I don’t understand the point of not having cut them prior to the first week of live shows, or not having something else in between Hollywood week and the live shows. For example the “boot camp” run by Randy Jackson could have been used to have the judges make the final decisions. Also I think it’s time to eliminate the boy/girl portion of the competition. They should pick a number and simply choose the best talent. I’m sure that some people are getting cut on either side that are better than someone of the opposite sex.

12. Mark says:

This is just stupid. What’s changed since they picked the top 30? Have any of the ten turned in a subpar performance, or been overshadowed by someone else? Of course not. All I can guess is the that ratings continue to be dismal despite the overall improvement in the show quality, so they are turning to the old standby, “the shocking elimination.” That is so cruel to put kids through and then send them home without giving them a chance to compete. I hate when these shows do that.

13. Marko says:

Stupid and cruel :0=

14. Raye says:

How mean to all the contestants. Why did they not just pick a top 20 instead of giving them false hope. Thats not drama, but purely mean spirited.

15. K. says:

I don’t care that their cutting 5 out but I really think they should let all of them sing and then do it!

16. steve hartland says:

They probably do this to minimize spoilers of the top 20.

17. 30 to 20 its too much… If it was to 26 or 24 I would understand (as long they make the right cuts). Its clear that they are having less sing and more drama. Will spend time showing the section with Randy,Adam and Chris, plus the eliminations. They should be more carefull here, cause if they go to far, they lose viewers.

18. Kim R says:

I was foolish enough to think that the drama was being put on a back burner so that the singing could take the spotlight. Up until that last couple of episodes I was still drinking the koolaid but now, the whole “this is hard on us as judges too” and bringing 2 in to keep them both in the end, it feels like we are sliding back into that familiar territory.
    Now more drama is announced. I’m disappointed. I haven’t watched Idol since the Haley thing and thought I’d give it a chance. :(

19. Brandy says:

Prepare to be outraged. Because I cannot pick even close to 10 contestants that don’t deserve a shot.

• Peg says:

I am looking forward to it. There will certainly be controversy. And controversy sells.

• MamaLis says:

I can: Emmanuelle, Ben Briley, Ethan Harris, CJ Harris (though if he goes, that was really cruel).. Maurice or Briston – not the strongest contenders.

Girls: Marrialle, Kristen O’Connor, Kenzi.. I don’t think Emily is especially unique or strong – given this competition. Also, I didn’t watch X-Factor so I have no history with Jillian. Seeing her for the first time on Idol – I forget her EVERY time I see her. I think if you’re a fan it’s hard to separate the X-Factor past.

And here’s the thing: If you have a voice like Emily, which is really nice but sort of similar to other voices, and you choose “Stars” as your song – what’s that message? That’s a double-negative in my book. (Not trying to be mean, she has a lot of talent.)

That’s 10.

• Ben says:

Emily and Kristen surely have to be heading for the chopping block. So do probably two R&B girls – I’d chose to lose Marialle and Briana but it will probably be Andrina and Bria (who I like both of more). As long as it isn’t Majesty, though. Then I’d lose Jess Meuse, who can sing rather well but isn’t going to last long anyway (she has a ‘poor me, the world is against me’ complex which I don’t think is going to play well with America for long). Add to that, Austin and Kenzie seem to be filling the same niche so I bet one goes (probably Kenzie). So maybe it will only be one of Andrina and Bria cut, or more likely Jess stays. I still think Jillian is a possible cut too. I agree that she just isn’t that good (and people seem to like her mostly because of her X Factor run).

In the boys, I think people are being too quick to dismiss a number of boys who all fit the same kind of ‘different’ genre – Briston, Alex, Ethan. I doubt they all go. 7/16 of these boys are African-American and I doubt they keep more than 4. If Neco wins the vote I doubt they then cut him, either. Lets suggest George and Jordan are the first two to go (I tend to think Emanuelle stays – he can sing, I just think people are reacting to his personality more than his singing, hypocrisy after my Jess Meuse comment I know. But I think they choose to keep him.) I think two out of Briston, Ethan, Sam and Spencer – in my book it should be Ethan and Spencer, with Sam as possible. Then, if Neco gets in, I think Malcolm or Maurice goes, and if Ben gets in, I think either Dexter or Casey goes. Ultimately, they are going to be trying to create a top 20 with balance, not only thinking ‘who are the best 20 singers’.

In my book, that means that the following people are safe and will not be considered for a cut at all (unless something goes very wrong at boot camp): Majesty, Jena, MK, Brandy, Malaya (and in reality, probably Marialle). Caleb, the winner of Neco/Ben, CJ, Alex. That’s not the longest list ever of safe people, but that’s mostly because I don’t know the outcome of Nico/Ben and I reckon I could add an extra couple of names if I did.

20. Kaba says:

There will be blood if:
    Jillian
    MK
    Majesty
    Kenzie
    Malaya
    Jena
    or Jess Meuse are sent packing.
    Malaya and Jena I can be somewhat okay with…the rest I will be so upset. Particularly MK and Majesty

21. JayNC says:

Utter ridiculousness. They probably just want more time for commercials.

22. Kimbo says:

I just hope MK isn’t sent packing. People have been saying her voice isn’t “strong enough”….
    Too bad she just happened to sing a soft spoken song, she can put some power to her notes:

23. It’s so cruel to put the contestants through that. I’m sure the top 31 thought they would be next going to voting rounds. And I don’t entirely trust the judges (who am I kidding, the producers) to select the best singers to go before the voting public. They are choosing some more because of back stories and some because of tween appeal rather than for high-quality singing ability. Ugh, ugh, ugh. And then they are bringing Randy in as a mentor? What has he ever said about signing technique that was valid (or even intelligible)? I can’t wait until the voting begins.

24. Kaba says:

Other question.
    Exactly what the hell is the point of making us vote for the 15th guy in the slot if they’re (allegedly) not guaranteed a spot in the show anyways? Or does that mean either Neco or Ben definitely will be in the live shows?
    Ridiculous.
    They’re trying too hard now.

• Lauren says:

That’s what I was wondering. If they’re already the last ones in, doesn’t it seem likely thrall whoever gets voted will get cut by the judges! It doesn’t make any sense to ask the audience to vote in one person while the judges simultaneously cut 10 people.

25. Peg says:

I did not see much reason to keep either one of them. It’s another country singer vs. another R&D guy – and I am having trouble keeping them all straight. So I went with the R&B guy ffor no particular reason.

26. Grandma Jane says:

I think most hardcore Idol fans are in it for the singing. I watch to get transported by singers like Candice and Melinda. I don’t understand why TPTB don’t get that. A bit of drama is probably essential…. that said , at least let us hear these guys sing. The ” sing for your life stuff can be over the top, but at least it puts the bottom line where it belongs:THE SINGING!

27. Benny says:

I have to laugh at all the people who said…Idol is going to change this year. Idol will never change it’s manipulative, sorry ways. And if anyone can’t figure this, especially after the interview the toolish Randy Jackson gave, then the lesson will never be learned. I hope, Michael you get paid a lot for blogging about this show because it has ceased to be for me.

28. mm says:

Girls: Send home Andrina Brogden, Bria Anai, Emily Piriz, Kristen O’Connor, and someone else. Not crazy difficult if you ask me

• mm says:

Guys: Alex Preston, Emmanuel Zidor, Caleb Johnson, Ethan Harris, Jordan Brisbane

• Lauren says:

You are crazy if you think they are sending home Alex or Caleb! lol

• Ben says:

Alex? Caleb? You gotta be joking!

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Exactly! Both Alex and Caleb are great TV, and very talented. Caleb can wail, to quote Wayne’s World. Adam was also labeled “theatrical,” and we all know how he’s doing. Alex needs to watch his facial expressions, but he is crazy talented, and sounds like Jason Mraz. These two are in my top 5 guys, along with CJ. I’m open on the other two spots.

• Fern says:

The twitter survey right before Caleb’s sitdown with the judges had most people cutting him iirc. They won’t lose much when he goes home.

• tealeaves says:

@Fern, the twitter survey is people guessing what they think the show will do. It doesn’t indicate the level of support for the contestants. The contestant’s supporters have no reason to jump on twitter for a vote like that.

• MamaLis says:

Really! Ain’t gonna happen.

• Kaba says:

I don’t really care if Brandy gets the boot.
      Briana Oakley is also starting to just not have any more appeal to me honestly.
      Austin Wolfe also has made no real impact from what I’ve seen either.
      As for Bria…I’m not sure I would say she’s goind home material.
      As for the guys:
      Jordan, Emmanuel, Briston, Spencer (his song writing is too atrocious), and Caleb Johnson for all I care.

29. JB says:

They should have put all of each contestant’s performances in a package on line, like they did for the last 2 guys, and had America do the cutting before next week. Live show, live cuts, I’d say more people would tune in.

30. Lauren says:

I think some of you all are being more than just a little melodramatic. And while I find that cute and amusing in a way, just look over the Top 31 and there ARE some expenable people there who don’t not really offer anything fresh. I hope no one is too attached to…

– Emmanuel Zidar (clearly there for “entertainment;” he is a goner)
    – Casey Thrasher (there are three country guys and he is the worst by far. Buh bye.)
    – Bria Ania (utterly forgettable)
    – Briston Maroney (how he made it past auditions to begin with is a mystery)
    – Andrina Brogden (has done nothing impressive)
    – Kristen O’Connor (zzzz, been there, done that; voice is borderline shrill)
    – Emily Piriz (though she seems decent, they barely showed her)
    – Jordan Brisbane (was never very good; barely shown)
    – Ethan Harris (whiny, high-pitched voice)
    Were I am at a loss is figuring out the fifth girl. I am beginning to think it may be Jillian since they didn’t show her much. It could also be Austin or Marrialle.

• Kaba says:

Marielle, Kristen O’Connor, Brandy Neelly, I won’t be mad about Andrina (though I liked her), and either Bria or Austin. But Bria’s solo was infinitely stronger than hers.
      The thing about Bria is that her style is just sooooooooooooo common now.
      That’s for girls. As for guys:
      Briston, Jordan, Casey, and quite frankly I see no reason for either Ben or Neco to be there so one of them, Spencer Lloyd.
      Particularly Spencer and Marielle at this point in time.

• tealeaves says:

But there’s no reason for them to cut the contestants that they think were not going to get the votes. They could just let the vote happen and they will go anyway.

• Ben says:

People who are ‘clearly there for entertainment’ are not usually ‘a goner’. They usually get to sing for America.

31. Lauren says:

These people I think are important to keep around to the Top 13 because they offer their own style / vibe that no one else is really bringing this season:
    – Majesty Rose
    – C.J. Harris
    – Caleb Johnson
    – Jessica Meuse
    – M.K. Nobilette (though America may not vote for her)

Brandy and Dexter would be fine representing the country genre. I think Jena and Kenzie stand a *very* good chance and I’ve already resigned myself to the fact Spencer and Sam will be in the final 13. The rest I think could pretty much be any of the ones I didn’t have on my obvious cannon fodder list (personally I’m hoping Malcolm is one of them).

32. BillyB says:

WOW! Makes the X-Factors 4 chair seem humane by comparison. Why not just have the top 20.

33. Can anyone refresh my memory on where we lost Paisley Van Patten? Was it shown on screen and I’m just blanking? She was the alcoholic two years into her recovery. Thanks!

34. Trouty Mouth says:

As long as they cut Briston and Spencer and keep Jena, MJ and Majesty, this doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

35. blujazz says:

Here’s my theory why there’s a dramatic cut from 30 to 20 next week: It seems like the top 30 decision was made weeks and weeks ago, and with time, it probably would have allowed the judges to look at their decisions more objectively. This cut is another way of trimming the fat – fat that judges thought were meat. Sorry, couldn’t think of a better way to put it.

And come on, when is life ever fair. If it’s your time, it’s your time. If it isn’t, it isn’t.

36. Kenneth says:

WHAT???…so basically…whoever is voted back, Ben or Neco will will cut anyways…why do we even bother to vote…???

37. Kenneth says:

If any of the following people are cut there will be blood…

Majesty, Jena, Briana, Sam, CJ or Jillian (because i’m rooting for her even though we seen much of her)…all the others i can live with at this point…but both Ben and Neco might as pack their bags now as the judges wasn’t even sure about them the first time around…why even bother voting…

38. Scott says:

Yet another reason why I don’t watch garbage like this and the other talent shows. Totally unfair, and proves that its got nothing to do with talent at all.

• Timmah says:

Actually, it’s when they turn it over to the voters that talent seems to matter the least.

• Kenneth says:

lets see what happen this year with limited voting…it could make a big difference or it might not make a difference at all…

• tealeaves says:

@Timmah, are you suggesting the best contestants get voted out it 10th, 11th, and 12th place every year? That has never been my observation. I think the voters do a great job.

• Timmah says:

Yeah, they do a great job… Ruben Studdard, Taylor Hicks and Lee DeWyze are producing hit after hit, while you never hear of the whereabouts of Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson.

• tealeaves says:

Exactly. Adam Lambert came in second. Daughtry came in 4th probably because they told us a week or 2 before that we was in the top so voters might have thought he was safe. Hudson came in 7th the year that Fantasia won. You’re not making much of an argument that the voters don’t vote for talent. They voted them all that far, Eventually only one can win and just as in any competition, one poor day at a bad time or one great day at the right time can make all the difference.

• Timmah says:

And it’s also why Lazaro, a guy who couldn’t carry a tune to save his life, made the top 6 last season. Yeah, the voters are all about talent ::eyeroll::.

• tealeaves says:

The judges just cut Savion, David, Keri Lynn and Munfarid and left us with a high number of teenagers who are really not ready for this. The producers just spent weeks trying to paint Jessica as a the b*tch because she is massively talented and a real contender otherwise. I have no reason to trust what they will do next week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, tealeaves, you’ve just made an excellent point. I don’t quite understand the fascination with these young kids that would be better served with a few more years of work before they try out for Idol.

• Ben says:

It’s about balance. They want a range of people to appeal to a range of people. That means they are likely to put through who they perceive to be the best of the 15 year olds – not just cut them all because they are all not ready.

• Sammie Wise says:

You should have caught on by now. Idol is the place for the 15 to 21 year olds. Rarely do you see anyone over the age of 22 and should a 25 or 26 year old get in, they’re toast.
            OTH, The Voice features singers in their mid 20’s to late 30’s.
            TPTB believe their audience is teenagers.

• waterbug says:

Totally agree!

39. Gailer says:

I don’t care because there’s no one I like anymore, I have to start all over again. Ha

40. Ben says:

I honestly don’t get the outrage here. What’s the difference between the voters sending home 7 people and 17? It isn’t cruel that huge swathes of contestants are cut out after only singing once? The idea of this being cruel is odd to me. Especially if the cut means they get to come back (which generally, it does, because usually the only people who can’t come back are those who get to sing live to America).

41. marie says:

I just think it’s a little ridiculous to send ten people home without our even hearing them sing again. What was the point of even putting them into what turns out to be a bogus top 30?

• The Orginal Lemon says:

The point was ratings. It’s a reality show, designed to make money on advertising. Higher ratings equals the ability to demand more money from advertisers.

• tealeaves says:

They should worry more about the ratings for the rest of the season. Too many cuts before the voting starts can leave them with too many contestants that don’t have much voter support. They should be looking for more feedback from the audience, not less.

• Sammie Wise says:

But the ratings are just fine. Idol has been able to hold respectable numbers against the Olympics. And some people who were waiting for the live rounds to begin will join in after the Olympics.

42. Spencer says:

If they were gonna just cut ten then just make it the top 20.

43. tealeaves says:

Last year the judges gave us only 20 to vote on. It was a DISASTER. I was hoping this year would be different. If they cut 10 teenages before the voting, that could be a good thing. I doubt that is what they will do. I think they will mostly cut people who are a thread to the chosen ones. Otherwise, they could just let the voters sort it out. They already had 3 wild cards to make sure their favorites make it. So this is about keep others out of the race.

• tealeaves says:

*teenagers and *threat. Should have proof read that!
      My point is I don’t think they will make cuts of the contestants who really are not ready, or of the contestants who have a look that they like. Those are the ones they will keep.
      Randy is largely responsible for the non-diverse and sleepy group we got in season 12. If the producers have convinced themselves that the only problem with season 12 was the judges fighting and not the lack luster performances from most of the contestants every week, then they might just repeat that casting problem this year.

44. rowan says:

It’s fair. I hope Kenzie gets cut. Her small preview of “Your Song” was awful. She rapped Macklemore in a way that was hardly understandable. That’s all. I think she’s overrated.

45. blirel says:

I think u guys r misunderstanding ppl!!!!!!!!!! Have you heard of The Daughtry, Adam Lambert, Randy Jackson bootcamp they r putting on before the live shows. I’m guessing this will help the judges decide. The ten i wanna see go home r these ppl.

Ben Briley- zzzz, boring with decent voice
    Jordan Brisbane- he just isn’t ready with an just ok voice
    Ethan Harris- Just is not good at all, zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Neco Starr- way oversings but he could slide through
    Briston Maroney or Emmanuel Zidor- Briston isn’t ready his audition was his only good performance and Emmanuel is just there for entertainment with a r and b voice only better than Jordan’s

The girls r tougher

Marialle Sellars- by far the worst performer on my list
    Malaya Watson- I thought she was good until she sang in the wrong key tells me she isnt ready for live shows she should come back next year
    Brandy Neelly- good with little airtime and forgettable
    Andrina Brogden- a bit blah voice with star power and presence
    Bria or M.K- Bria has a fantastic voice but tends to oversing and M.K we just have not seen enough both could be sleepers

46. DS says:

if Ben and Neco are need America to decide who is good enough for the top 30, couldn’t we just pull the pin on both of them immediately? This is stupid….. I hope it isn’t 10 cuts.

47. darcy the slutty twin says:

As long as Caleb Johnson, Emmanuel Zidor, Jillian Jensen and Alex Preston are the ones sent home, I don’t mind.

48. Blake says:

I’m having flashbacks of the Lisa Leuschner debacle … And that’s NOT a good thing! Let them all sing!

49. Rick says:

Why not skip the whole green mile non sense? Take your top 50, have 20 step forward and cut them. Have the remaining 30 each sing a song. Let a combination of judges vote and public vote determine the final 20. You can predict within 95 percent certainty who they are keeping during Green Mile, what a waste. I’d rather see more singing and less judge non sense.

50. darcy the slutty twin says:

I wonder if Geeena Ascuitto will still wear that choker next this week.