Pilot Scoop: Alyson Hannigan Staying at CBS, Joins Tom Papa Comedy More Time With Family

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

65th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - ArrivalsHow I Met Your Mother is ending, but Alyson Hannigan could very well be back on CBS next fall.

The actress has nabbed the female lead opposite actor-comedian-Marriage Ref host Tom Papa in More Time With Family, a multi-cam comedy that centers on a husband and father (Papa) making a career change to spend more time with his clan.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

Hannigan will play Papa’s onscreen wife, Cindy.

Papa co-wrote the pilot script with ‘Til Death duo Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa, and all three will serve as EPs alongside Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Dave Becky and Josh Lieberman.

Comments (35)

• finally a show ill watch

Comment by nate – February 14, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A show like “More Time With Family”, with executive producers -Ben Affleck and Matt Damon
      this show will do well. Finally a show directed by A-list Hollywood stars

Comment by daryl shim – April 7, 2014 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gonna be so weird seeing her married to someone else

Comment by Kat – February 14, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Papa? Never heard of him.

Comment by steven – February 14, 2014 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He has 2 specials on Netflix. Both are fantastic.

Comment by Zach – February 14, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Papa the guys Seinfield try to push down NBC throat?

Comment by Paul8148 – February 14, 2014 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Tookie Clothespin – February 14, 2014 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but she belongs with either Tara or Marshall! ‘-)

Comment by Tammy – February 14, 2014 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1. At least it’s not Kennedy :P

Comment by xx – February 14, 2014 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Never with Kennedy.

Comment by Thea – February 14, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ugh, I had forgotten Kennedy.

Comment by Christine – February 14, 2014 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s so unfunny!!! Fel bad for her as she is brilliant. I can’t see how they’ll have any chemistry at all!

Comment by Kevin – February 14, 2014 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She deserves better than to play the sitcom wife on another CBS comedy.

Comment by Steven – February 14, 2014 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My initial reaction as well. The premise seems flimsy, but I’ll definitely check it out.

Comment by tara17 – February 15, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, but at her age she can’t play a young woman in sitcoms like Zooey, Mindy, or Kaley.
      She’s almost 40, so now it’s mom roles.
      A Hollywood fact of life.

Comment by JB – February 15, 2014 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are EPs on a multi-cam CBS comedy? Kind of weird, but I’ll go along with it.

Comment by Studz – February 14, 2014 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Papa and Damon worked together on a couple of movies and came up with the idea for this, and Affleck is trying to become a major TV producer so Damon asked him to tag along.

Comment by Zach – February 14, 2014 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news – happy for AH. I had thought she might take a year off, then go for a pilot next season/2015, but she’s found something that’s of interest to her, go for it. Good for her. Plus, she’s as close to a ‘sure thing’ as any bankable star on television today – CBS wanted to hold onto her – understandable.

Papa may fare better with a script and strong cast and director than when he was working w/Seinfeld, which was more improv in nature. This Papa-Hannigan teaming could work, and probably better to pair AH with someone who is 180 degrees different than Marshall/Segel.

CBS is certainly loading-up with potential 8pm Monday comedies for next fall to successfully replace [if that is possible] HIMYM. I count three possibilities right off the bat – Friends w/Better Lives, the ‘Gafferty’ pilot with Ashley Williams, and now ‘More Time w/Family’. I’d be willing to bet that at least one of the two – Gafferty or MTWF will land either the 8pm or 8:30pm Monday slot, and will (I assume) get TBBT to help kick off the night next fall until Thursday Night Football wraps up in November. This could work for CBS and smooth the transition from HIMYM to the next Monday night anchor comedy.

Comment by N tTVf – February 14, 2014 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not many care for Papa so this is not a win for Alyson fans!

Comment by DavidSask – February 14, 2014 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Alyson could be back on tv soon. It will be weird to see her married to someone else.

Comment by Joey – February 14, 2014 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, I can’t really think anything except she’s really trading down from her current TV husband and show.

Comment by Brooke – February 14, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame, I’d have loved to see her do drama again (I’m counting Buffy as a drama). She has a much bigger acting range than HIMYM let her show off.

Comment by RyanC – February 14, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Buffy a drama? Really? It was definitely more of the -edy part of dramedy.

Comment by Zach – February 14, 2014 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Buffy always felt like a pretty even balance between comedy and drama to me. Does action count as dramatic? :) Alyson definitely had the opportunity to do drama on Buffy. And she did it really well.

Comment by murley – February 14, 2014 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree Buffy was a split sometimes 60/40 comedy sometimes drama. Always excellent and AH does both extremely well!

Comment by Patty Demeule – February 15, 2014 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant in terms of her part in it. I wouldn’t call her entire season 6 arc a comedy. That was absolutely the drama side.

Comment by RyanC – February 15, 2014 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As a Buffy fan, I believe the show required serious dramatic skills from its talent. Having said that, Buffy is full of comedic moments, for sure.

Comment by tara17 – February 15, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think her acting skills are near perfection, so I’d love to see her in meatier roles. I’ll still tune in for her role as a sitcom wife, a proven trope and it’s better than nothing. Hoping the writers are good!

Comment by tara17 – February 15, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I prefer her in drama. I find her character on HIMYM to be the least funny of all. She was terrific as Willow.

Comment by michaelangelo0296 – February 16, 2014 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy that Allyson Hannigan got a new show so fast but maybe it shouldn’t be on CBS.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 15, 2014 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy news Alyson will be onscreen so soon!

Comment by John NYC – February 15, 2014 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much like “Fetch” Tom Papa isn’t going to ever be a thing. It isn’t going to happen.

Comment by RobMF – February 16, 2014 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I have no idea who Tom Papa is but neither does IMDB so at least I’m not alone. I wish her the best as I’ve been a fan since Buffy. Maybe the Damon/Affleck name attached will help.

Comment by Abc – February 16, 2014 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is an actress and, as such, you take roles when they are available.

With that said, I think she might do a little better to put a little space between HIMYM and a new series.
    This will automatically draw comparisons and even make it seem a little like she is cheating on Marshall.

Comment by J.Norman – February 16, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! She’s amazing. Can’t wait to see what she does with yet another role.. She knows what she’s doing… I trust her 100%
    Way to go Alyson!
    I will be watching every episode.
    This is a big win for CBS and the viewing public. She brightens the lives of millions of people with her dynamic portrayal of simple characters every week!

Comment by Philo MacLeod – February 17, 2014 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post