Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Glinda Has Been Cast — Look Who Scored the Oz-some Role

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Sunny Mabrey Once Upon a Time GlindaDing-dong — the (other) witch is cast!

Two months after Once Upon a Time announced that Lost alum Rebecca Mader would be “going green” to play a version of the Wizard of Oz Wicked Witch, TVLine can exclusively confirm that actress Sunny Mabrey is joining the ABC drama as Glinda the Good Witch of the South.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bombshell: A [Spoiler] Is Coming — Ready, Set, Speculate!

As we previously reported, Mabrey’s Glinda has been described as elegant, warm and benevolent, as well as wise, clever and shrewd. However, years of isolation have made her lonely and cautious — though at her core, she is a steadfastly filled with optimism.

Mabrey, whose biggest TV credits include recurring stints on TNT’s Memphis Beat and Lifetime’s The Client List, will debut this spring.

Once Upon a Time resumes Season 3 on Sunday, March 9.

Comments (57)

• Perfect choice!

Comment by chris – February 13, 2014 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by sue justasiam – February 13, 2014 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, we all know that, sue. That’s what it says in the article, too. Can you read?

Comment by Bob Johnson – February 14, 2014 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should’a been Megan Hilty.

Comment by SUSO – February 13, 2014 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^^^^^ This! Megan Hilty would have been great, too. Would love to see her on OUAT.

Comment by Ava – February 14, 2014 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice casting.

Comment by StanJS – February 13, 2014 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted Elizabeth Mitchell for this role :c

Comment by Rin – February 13, 2014 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s too old and u know it! Stop it!

Comment by Christian – February 13, 2014 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She nots old.. plus i can she her playing a Queen.. Maybe Aurora’s mother the original sleeping beauty

Comment by StanJS – February 13, 2014 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Billie Burke, the original actress that played Glinda in the Wizard of Oz, was around 45 when she made that film, so based on that, Elizabeth Mitchell would not be too old to play Glinda since she is a couple years younger than Burke was. Glinda was not a young witch, so you are wrong in thinking that.

Comment by Roxie – February 24, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Billie Burke was actually 55 when she played Glinda.

Comment by David Kahoun – March 5, 2014 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • to bad she’s busy with Revolution

Comment by StanJS – February 13, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glinda was the good witch not the bad old ugly green one . But I guess she’s a good as any person for the job I would have picked sogirney weiver she’s such a good actress. And good at being bad . But what will be will be and its going to be good who ever they cast

Comment by sue justasiam – February 13, 2014 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Again, sue, we know this. Stop correcting everyone because of YOUR inability to comprehend when reading.

Comment by Bob Johnson – February 14, 2014 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Stop being an ass, Bob.

Comment by Sehena – March 24, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 23 days until the return of OUAT

Comment by Mollie – February 13, 2014 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s very pretty! I’ve never heard of her.

Comment by J. – February 13, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s sad is I think the only film I remember her being in is Snakes on a Plane. She was the flight attendant who hits on the witness Samuel L Jackson had to protect. Something tells me this role will have a bit more meat…

Comment by Peter W Dawson – February 13, 2014 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Kristen Chenowith busy?

Comment by Ryan D. – February 13, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, just ancient.

Comment by Stormy – February 13, 2014 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, the role wasn’t for a munchkin.

Comment by Ray – February 13, 2014 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kristen Chenowith is not ancient. And to be fair Sunny Mabrey is no spring chicken herself. She’s thirty-eight years old! Which in my book is ancient.

Comment by Sehena – March 24, 2014 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t she married to Ethan Embry, aka Greg Mendell? Can’t call this any kind of nepotism since they’re getting divorced.

Comment by M – February 13, 2014 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, they’re married. I didn’t know they were getting a divorce though. Anyway, the OUAT producers sure like to keep it in the family. I guess they like sticking to who they know.

Comment by Lena120 – February 13, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • According to Wikipedia, she filed for divorce in 2012.

Comment by Meg – February 13, 2014 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Judging by her Twitter, she’s still with him. She posts Vine’s with him all the time.

Comment by zacqua10 – February 14, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It only said she filed for irreconcilable differences. Maybe they turned out to be reconcilable?

Comment by Meg – February 14, 2014 12:22 PM PDT
  • idk – i’ve spent too many years watching billie burke ‘be’ glinda. i hope they don’t turn her gentle, caring essence into some sex thing like they always do.

Comment by Mrs. Peele – February 13, 2014 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree here.

Comment by Shell – February 14, 2014 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Michelle Williams did a good job playing Glinda, even though Oz was such a big disappointment to me.

Comment by Mikael – February 14, 2014 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks exactly like Jennifer Morrison. I wonder if that’s on purpose

Comment by Jerry – February 13, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I don’t think they look alike at all.

Comment by OkieDokie – February 13, 2014 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for Laura Vandervoort but I guess she’s busy with Bitten.

Comment by dude – February 13, 2014 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only know Sunny from Vine, where she has a pretty big following. She’s hilarious. And will do great in the role.

Comment by Eli – February 13, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not familiar with her work but Once is usually topnotch with their casting and I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with the character.

Comment by Jennifer – February 13, 2014 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when they said they were casting for someone in their mid to late twenties, they really meant someone who is almost 40?

Comment by Meg – February 13, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Chenowith should have done it.

Comment by Becky Ann – February 13, 2014 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s pretty but I thought they were going for someone younger? No way does she look mid 20s. Closer to late 30s.

Comment by Liz – February 13, 2014 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cant judge since most of the cast of women suppose to be in their mid to late 20s but most r n their 30s

Comment by StanJS – February 13, 2014 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Billie Burke was 55 when she played Glinda, so why do you think the character was gonna be younger?

Comment by David Kahoun – March 5, 2014 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty standard.

Comment by sara – February 13, 2014 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m OK with this. They’ve done impeccably well with casting thus far.

Comment by Matt – February 13, 2014 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If “Hunger Games” is going to digitally recreate Philip Seymour Hoffman I see no reason why OUAT can’t digitally recreate Billie Burke for the role.

Comment by andy j – February 13, 2014 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watched her or even heard from here. But she looks quite nice, even though I wanted Sara Canning to play Glinda. Seems like Emma won’t be the blondest girl in town.

Comment by spindae2 – February 14, 2014 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is hilarious on vine. This is amazing casting I’m so exciting and this is going to make me watch this show again.

Comment by Kaycee – February 14, 2014 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for this show to start up, again. It should be interesting how they will be incorporating these Wizard of Oz characters, into the show. I am curious if this will all take place with all the characters, back in Storybook? I hope so.

Comment by Pat – February 14, 2014 03:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you stay classy and sexist, OUAT fandom!

Comment by Betsy – February 14, 2014 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they will have her with red hair like the character in the books.

Comment by Barbara Baxter DeJohn – February 14, 2014 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just gonna post the same response. Why do they always make her blond now? I know it was a funny joke in Wicked that she is blond, but Glinda is a red head.

Comment by David Kahoun – March 5, 2014 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glinda was good witch of the North. The movie did not have Good Witch of the South. But I believe in the book her name was Brenda.

Comment by Jill – February 18, 2014 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok, I researched and am corrected. In the movie, the good witch of the North appears (as in the book) and calls herself Glinda. In the books, Glinda is good witch of the South, and Orin is good witch of the North.

Comment by Jill – February 18, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have been Alex Kingston, she even has a bit of resemblance to Billie Burke, and is a awesomely talented and beautiful actress as well.

Comment by Ciardha – April 17, 2014 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post