Drop Dead Diva Cancelled (For Real This Time)

Drop Dead Diva Season 5 SpoilersLifetime has cancelled Drop Dead Diva — and this time the death will stick.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The cabler confirmed Thursday that the dramedy’s sixth season (premiering March 23) will be the show’s last, per The Hollywood Reporter.

Last year, DDD was famously axed after wrapping its fourth season, only to be un-cancelled six weeks later when producer Sony TV came up with a more feasible “financial model” for the series. Lifetime went on to order a 13-episode sixth season last fall.

1. Becky says:

That’s a shame! It’s a fun show. The law cases are always fun regardless of the show’s initial premise.

• Dixie says:

I totally agree with you, it was and is a fun show to watch..sorry to see it go.

• TCS says:

Bring DDD back gesh we didn’t even get to see the babies the wedding Jane and Grayson finally tying the knot… OMGOSH there’s so much more to see…: ( LIFE TIME GET IT TOGETHER PLZZZZ… STOP GETTING US HOOKED AND THEN DROPPING THE BOMB ON US… THAT REALLY SUCKS… What’s next I heard the glades smh
      … Boy cott life time everyone!!!

2. Michelle A says:

I stopped watching after last season. I tried to watch this season, but it was just too ridiculous. It used to be a good show…sad what happened to it.

3. Bernadette says:

Since the cancellation is being announced before the final season, we should get closure and not have to wonder what happened unlike A&E’s “The Glades”. I will miss DDD. Enjoy the show.

4. Steph says:

At least we get one final wrap up season.

5. MagicThings says:

I can’t say I’m truly disappointed. The first two seasons and bits of the third were quite good! But the last few seasons have been rather “bleh” for me. I just hope the writers send DDD out with a proper bang.

• Saabgirlatx says:

Agree here. Some of it was just out there but I’m glad they will get to wrap it up with a complete ending. I’ve always been more Team Owen, but if it goes out Team Grayson I won’t be disappointed.

6. Fernando says:

This is more evidence that now Devious Maids will last a very long time because lifetime will have it and witches of Eastend as it’s only grounded shows

7. Jacqi says:

At least they have time to give it a proper finale. Jane/Grayson!!!!!!

8. Kristi says:

Maybe we can get some closure for the series, It was entertaining and like someone said in a previous comment the cases were good.

9. Carolinagirl says:

Please give it a proper sendoff and finally get Jane and Grayson together. I agree with the comment regarding The Glades. Would have been great to see a Jim and Callie wedding!

10. fiberlicious says:

POOH! DDD was one of my favorite shows.

11. NJMark says:

One of the things I like about this show is that the cases are decided on the law and on facts (even though it’s a bit formulaic that the favorable facts come in at the last minute).

Contrast that with the David E. Kelley type of shows where cases are decided because a judge ignores the law because “the time has come” for a favorable outcome to whatever cause they want to push.

12. Mika says:

I enjoy the show even if the last couple of seasons were off the first couple of years. I look at it this way. I ended up with two more seasons than I originally thought I would after it’s first cancellation. That was a gift.

13. Karen says:

I was upset at the heading, but now that I know it will have a final showing, not so much. It had a good run and I looked forward to it coming back this spring. At least they know and can end it in a good way. Not like Glades!! I was so angry that they left it at that last episode! I won’t watch another A&E script show because of that.

14. xwiseguyx says:

As long as they know that it is their last season, the show wont end with a cliffhanger, which is great news!

15. Jared Munson says:

I’m not saying its surprising, but you’d think at 6 seasons of 13 episodes = 78 episodes, they’d do a 7th to get 91…enough for syndication.

• Patrick says:

This is why so many cable shows are ending before their time. There is no market in syndication. Take SyFy. Who is going to buy their shows in syndication? No body.

• Jared Munson says:

Look at comedies, I know this is more of a comedy drama but It’s Always Sunny is doing well. Also, Boston Legal has had a healthy run on TVLand, who I figured would be a good fit for the show. However, 78 could be a small syndi deal

16. Babar says:

It’s not cancelled, it’s ending.

17. ivy says:

i stopped watching after they started messing Fred’s character around.
    he was the only reason i watched.

18. Sally Sauter says:

It is too bad that they are going to cancel DDD, it is a fun show and “clean” show. Hopefully, the writers will come up with a good conclusion and not leave us hanging.

19. Lydia Green says:

I am sorry and disappointed in all the shows that will be cancel.

20. Joyce Wilson says:

Absolutley love DDD. Friends and I watch it together. Just light fun show for a feel good hour. Hate that it is ending. I hope it has a feel good ending.

21. Kaycee says:

Netflix is so gonna bring this back.

22. I Really Believe It’s Not The Last Season

23. Steven says:

I’m just glad they have time to plan an ending this time around. By the way the headline ran I thought the new season had been scrapped or something.

24. liz says:

I’ve adored this show its full run; loving the whacky parts of it. But this season was BRUTAL to watch; I only stuck through out of loyalty and a love for Brooke Elliott

25. Tee says:

The first couple of seasons were fun light summer viewing, then it started to get meh. The ending when it got cancelled before was downright terrible, and the episodes since they came back were pretty much unwatchable.

I’m really ambivalent about it being cancelled, I sometimes read recaps just to see how it is going, but I wouldn’t watch it again if it was the only show on my dvr and I was snowed in for the weekend.

26. MC says:

Shame, I enjoyed this show & The Client List… Now I guess I don’t have a reason to watch Lifetime.

27. Matt says:

I loved this show but I’m surprisingly OK with cancelling it. I got so tired to waiting for Jane and Grayson to be together. At least Lifetime is giving them a proper final season this time. Jayson (I like it better than Grayne) for the win!

28. Well, at least it’s getting a sixth season. Which hopefully it means they’ll actually wrap it up and not have it end in a cliffhanger. I hate when they do that.

29. kimm says:

I hope it’s not true. I will miss DDD. We all knew it wasn’t real but sure is neat to think “it could happen”. Coming back to earth to reflect and be better! Not be so critical in a critical world. That Witch show on lifetime is terrible. Sorry for those that like it. Wholesome shows just don’t exist anymore. Please don’t cancel :( boohoo

30. charlotte says:

i couldnt even find it. Cant find it on english tv not a loss for us i really wanted to see it though

31. cali says:

What a shame……….I thought it was a fun show…

32. Ginny from valley of sun says:

We love drop dead diva. What can we do to have network uncancel it?

33. Diana BLAKEMAN says:

I’m very sad and disappointed that you are canceling drop dead diva. I love that show it made me laugh. I love all the characters in the show. Jane is funny , beautiful, and very good. I don’t know why all the good shows don’t last long. Same as Army Wives. Another good show they took off.

34. Deborah McDowell says:

Bummers! We love DDD and are sad that it’s ending. But at least we get some kind of closure with the 6th season. Thanks.

35. Ann Fama says:

I think its a shame. DDD was a fun and entertaining show. It had a good cast and cute story lines. I don’t know why lifetime keeps canceling all the good shows. I was very disappointed when they cancelled Army Wives.

36. joanne says:

I loved the showed gutted its cancelled!!

37. Well, I am sad to see it go, funny how some shows become ‘family’ for us after awhile! It is a well put together show, has humor, heart, great music, brings to the table more esoteric concepts and features a real woman in the lead. In a way it was almost too unique to be sustained within the mass consciousness preferences in TV.

38. Glenda says:

LIFETIME!! What is WRONG with you? First Army Wives, now Drop Dead Diva? WTH?? Two very good series and you cancel them? Are you DAFT? BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. sandra wigmore says:

Ddd very good charaters, do go on

40. Brandy says:

I’m conflicted on how I feel:on one hand I’m glad they know ahead of time so they write a true finale and at least the Grayson finding out Deb is Jane and will Grayson/Jane get together or won’t they won’t be drug out too long.I haven’t liked season four and five ,so I’m glad it’s ending.On the other hand,I’m sad cause I love the show(particularly the first three seasons)& Brooke especially is talented.

41. Susan Warren says:

Don’t cancel!!!!!!

42. Betsy says:

So, so sad to see this show get cancelled. I found it to be a fun, summer show… with great music. Loved the scenes of Los Angeles. Made me wish I was living there. Brooke is incredibly talented, along with the rest of the cast. The last 2 seasons have been a bit rough with less intelligent writing, and characters getting switched out… but I still watch because I just love Brooke. I will hate to see her go. Hoping for a great ending to this show. Thank you life time. Also upset that the Client list is not coming back.

43. Debbie says:

Why do they always cancel good entertainment. It seems as though all they want to produce is loud murdering police, detective type shows. I thought Drop Dead Diva was a breath of fresh air. I always looked forward to watching the show. I going to rethink watching Lifetime. Use to be a good channel.

44. a fan says:

with so many dumb reality shows taking up air space, lifetime should leave Drop Dead Diva alone. This is the ONLY show I watch on lifetime and cancelling it shows the lack of family quality shows just increasing. I truly hope they change their minds again or that Drop Dead Diva finds a new home/network who is willing to keep a well written & greatly acted show as this show. There is so much that can continue to be done with this GEM of a show. Hope a smart network picks it up, since lifetime obviously doesn’t care for it.

45. DieHard DDD fan says:

Check out the Return Button for Drop Dead Diva fan page on face book. They have a petition to save Drop Dead Diva and a POLL where viewers can actually vote for shows they want to KEEP or CANCEL. Drop Dead Diva has to be saved or moved to another home. It is tooooooooo gooooooooood not to do something about it. I watch the show with my family. Goodness, it’s only 13 episodes a season. It isn’t like there’s anything else worth watching on the channel.

46. Mai says:

Can’t go on a day without my husband being mad at me because I am hooked on Drop Dead Diva. It’s bummer they’re cancelling the show but can’t wait for season 6 to come out!!

47. Judy W says:

NO NO NO NO Please uncancel again one more time I think more people watch then you think

• Carolann parlato says:

This show has so many more stories to tell I just love this show even my grand kids are hooked lets give it another shot

• kimm says:

I agree with Judy. Give DDD more seasons. Number one DDD fan. Kimms

• Joan Carol says:

There have been so many cancellations, but this one really is lousy! Here was a great show without all the violence and sex….just a bunch of lawyers doing good things. The storyline of Grayson and Jane was so fantastic and unique. I would have loved to see the continuing relationship between “Ian” and Jane and how the truth might come out to others!! There could now have been sme great story lines. What a mistake. There’s nothing great on Lifetime now. THEY lose. The viewers re mad!

48. kimms says:

Don’t cancel DDD please

49. Karen S says:

PLEEEEEEASE uncancel triple D!!!