Fall TV Preview

Big Bang Theory, Elementary to Dodge Thursday Football By Starting the Fall on a New Night

Big Bang Theory New Night 2014Neither Sheldon nor Sherlock will be sitting on the sidelines when Thursday Night Football fills CBS’ dance card for eight weeks this fall.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

During a conference call to discuss the company’s fourth quarter earnings, CBS CEO Leslie Moonves said the network is “not going to wait until November” (as a few had speculated) to launch the eighth season of The Big Bang Theory aka TV’s most watched, highest rated comedy. Nor will Elementary, if picked up for third season, be made to ride the pine for much of the fall.

RELATED | CBS Snags Thursday Night Football Rights — Will Big Bang Return to Monday Next Fall?

Instead, CBS’ strongest Thursday shows will launch their new runs “on some other night,” our sister site Deadline quotes Moonves as saying, while Thursday Night Football will be employed as a vehicle to heavily promote those and other fall premieres.

Once CBS’ eight-game TNF schedule has wrapped, Big Bang and Elementary would return to their Thursday time slots.

The decision to get Big Bang on the air sooner versus much later makes all the sense in the world, given not just its boffo ratings but also the fact that the cast will be entering Season 8 having negotiated significant pay bumps. An extended summer vacation on top of that? Uh, bazinga.

Comments (56)

• So, at least 2 shows will only be getting 13-15 episodes next year? Will BBT go back to Thursdays after the Fall? If Thursday Night Football is on from 8-10, my guess is that a new drama will be on Thursday night. They won’t put comedies on at 10 or 10:30.

Comment by Paul – February 12, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Thursday night shows will still be able to air 22 episodes, but without repeats and limited breaks for Holidays.

Football games usually take longer than two hours, it is unlikely that CBS will be able to air a drama after the game on Thursday.

Comment by johnhelvete – February 12, 2014 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you ever watched a football game? You do realize that they’re 3+ hours long, right? There will not be any new drama launching after a 8 PM-10 PM football game.

Comment by jayjay – February 12, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL…I was going to say. goof!

Comment by GuessWhat – February 12, 2014 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It says once the TNF has finished it’s eight game run, BBT and Elementary will go back to its usual spots!! Do you not comprehend what you read?

Comment by Linda – February 13, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So will TBBT and Elementary permanently move to another night or just temporarily? My guess is both will be on Monday temporarily to launch that comedy block and that both move back to Thursday after TNF ends. Although having Elementary air against both procedurals Castle and the Blacklist isn’t the best idea, so who knows? Maybe Elementary permanently moves to Sunday.

Comment by Midnight – February 12, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Temporarily; I shall edit to make that crystalline.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 12, 2014 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. Elementary has its own built in audience of 9 million fans and 4.5 million who watch via DVR. If Elementary moves to Monday which is the only spot I see that will be available, I see it taking a portion of Castle’s and the Blacklist’s audience. All 3 shows will suffer, but Elementary will not perform as badly as Intelligence or Hostages did..

Comment by Eridapo – February 12, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a guess..it says it on the article..it’s TEMPORARY

Comment by natasha rodz – March 13, 2014 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM will open a slot up on Monday. Seems to me that would be a good lead in to some weak comedies on CBS.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HIMYM = TBBF I presume, because HIMYM will be dead in six seeks.

Comment by jayjay – February 12, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they mean HIMYM’s timeslot will be open since they are wrapping up next month.

Comment by Ann – February 12, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I mean they can place TBBT in HIMYM’s slot. Axe 2 Broke Girls and place HIMYD in its slot.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 2 Broke Girls isn’t going anywhere,

Comment by Brandy – February 12, 2014 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’d agree, but not (I suspect) in the way that you mean.

Comment by Planck Hate (@planckhate) – February 13, 2014 03:36 PM PDT
  • I wonder what this means for the Millers and the Crazy Ones. Delay or cancellation?

Comment by Jimmy – February 12, 2014 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL at this comment TCO will be cancel

Comment by Titoveli – February 12, 2014 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not necessarily They’ve been doing okay/well so far.

Comment by Ann – February 12, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OK might not be OK enough with a day of airtime being erased. CBS won’t need shows on Thursdays until November. If they add shows, and CBS will absolutely add shows, they might make some cuts.

Regardless, I doubt that Millers and TCO will get cushy, post TBBT slots, so if they return it won’t be for long.

Comment by Patrick – February 12, 2014 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYD will take HIMYM’s spot. I think with fewer repeats this can work out for all shows.

I think this can possibly be Two and Half Men’s final season, as there might not be space for it.

Comment by AGB – February 12, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They could also axe a couple of comedies on Monday. 2 Broke Girls is about as lame as they come. But have TBBT lead in to HIMYD and that could be a great combination.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 2 Broke Girls is safe for syndication and has deccent ratings.Itll be around next season,maybe even one after that.

Comment by Brandy – February 12, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Doesn’t change the notion that it’s a stupid show. If it has decent ratings, it’s because of the strong lead-in from HIMYM.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It anchored the 8 pm last and part of this season.After HIMYM ends,2 Broke Girls will take it spot at 7pm which means cbs thinks its a solid enough show to anchor the night and not depdant on HIMYM for ratings.Just because you think it’s a stupid show dosent mean anything and dosent mean it should be cancelled.People have different tastes and senses of humor.

Comment by Brandy – February 12, 2014 06:49 PM PDT
          • LOL, I just checked the user reviews on IMDB. I’m not the only one who thinks it’s a stupid show.

But CBS is welcome to play around with it as the lead-in to its Monday night comedies. I don’t watch CBS on Monday because Fox and The CW have better shows, and DWTS will be back in the fall along with new episodes of Castle. I only catch HIMYM on DVR. So I’m not one of those people who feels a need to keep the station tuned to 2 Broke Girls – I’ve already moved on to Almost Human (or Bones), Sleepy Hollow, and Beauty and The Beast.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 06:54 PM PDT
  • Can people please speak using actual words!? Text talk is horrid enough on the English language, trying to read this page and comments is like trying to read alphabet soup!

Comment by jenferner8 – February 12, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read this page over and the only ‘text talk’, if you want to call it that, is abbreviations for the shows themselves. But on another note, I do hate ‘text talk’ myself……I’m one of the older generation.

Comment by Linda – February 13, 2014 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Thursday Night Football be shown live or tape-delayed in the western time zones? If it is live, then the games will be all done by 9pm local time and we can still get a show in. Otherwise it is crappy, old reruns of old shows or really old movies from after football till the late news.

Comment by GeoDiva – February 12, 2014 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So watch something else! No one said you have to leave your TV on CBS all night.

Comment by TigerNightmare – February 12, 2014 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The NFL is never tape delayed.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Monday night football used to be tape delayed in Seattle when it was on ABC

Comment by mike in fll – February 12, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC’s Monday Night Football was taped delayed in Hawaii until it moved to ESPN. Now it starts at 230/330pm.

Comment by GeoDiva – February 12, 2014 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Notice that it says “if” Elementary gets picked up for a third season. The ratings aren’t that great for a drama not on a Sunday or Friday, and I think that show is starting to get lame. How I met Your Dad is only a pilot at this point, and may not even get picked up. 2 Broke Girls and the Millers should be safe enough, the ratings are fine, though I don’t watch 2 Broke Girls personally. I think Two and a Half Men needs to get canceled; the ratings are dropping, it’s gotten pretty ridiculous and I’m guessing that since it’s been on so long, it’s costing CBS more money than the ratings are worth.

Comment by lml5280 – February 12, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elementary will most certainly get picked up for a third season, since recently CBS made a deal with WGN to pay Elementary for $3 million per episode for syndication rights. That kinda makes a renewal almost certain.

Comment by ck – February 13, 2014 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you the same person who posted below? Anyway, Elementary will get picked up for a next season. It’s been syndicated by WGN America so it’s probably going to run for at least the next 2-3 yrs. The time slot might change though.

Comment by Ava – February 12, 2014 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I kind of double posted. Something went weird when I logged into wordPress, and I didn’t see my first post go through, but it evidently did.

Comment by Lisa – February 12, 2014 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% correct about Elementary, two year guarantee renewal thanks to syndication. Could see it moved to Sundays as mentioned by other posters.

Comment by johnhelvete – February 12, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elementary could easily fit into a Sunday night time slot as CBS has been playing around with The Good WIfe and The Mentalist. They’ve been showing it after The Mentalist with The Good Wife leading The Mentalist. It makes a lot of sense to give the show a good lead-in and it fits with the type of shows they’r running on Sunday night.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 12, 2014 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This means space will be needed on their line-up. The Mentalist is in big trouble.

Comment by Graham – February 12, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS really screwed themselves by getting Thursday Night Football. So, their plan is to yank around their most highly rated show to a new night, then change it back to their regular timeslot after the football season. I think it’s going to hurt ratings drastically. No one will know when it airs. It will cause a lot of confusion.

Comment by Ann – February 12, 2014 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are only going to have 8 games on CBS and one of them is on a Saturday.
      That leaves 7 games to play creative scheduling around.
      The fall season for many shows starts in the last week of September which means that 2 more games (possibly 3) can be shown without any impact to regular scheduling.

So there will probably only be a 4-5 week disruption of the regular CBS schedule.

Comment by J.Norman – February 13, 2014 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two and a Half Men will probably get a final season. What they’ll do with it, I don’t know.

Comment by Riana – February 12, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t found Big Bang as funny this season as in the past, but it’s still one of my favorites. Having said that, Sleepy Hollow is my new favorite, so if BBT goes up against that, it’s bye-bye until its Thursday return!

Comment by Olivia – February 12, 2014 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see CBS is willing to move both shows. When the Sunday broadcasts of the NFL messed up my recordings of “The Good Wife” and “The Mentalist” I just gave up on both shows because for the entirety of football season I couldn’t watch full episodes of both. I guess this means they learned something from fan feedback about that situation.

Comment by Cate Amos – February 12, 2014 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are taking The Big Bang Theory for granted. The Big Bang Theory only started growing in the ratings after consistently being in the Monday block. Its ratings fell when it was first moved to Thursdays and took about 3 seasons to reach the ratings it has today. Moving shows around may hurt the competitors like The Voice, and help CBS’ other shows, but it will be at a price of the maximal ratings TBBT can score if it does not move.

Comment by Jerry – February 12, 2014 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought that the reruns on TBS helped boost ratings.

Comment by Mikael – February 13, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is news?

They will stick it on Mondays at 8 and use it to launch a new show. Then they will move it to Thursdays and maybe use it again to launch another show.

Comment by David4 – February 12, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Despite what Les is saying now, I would not be surprised if CBS is using TNF to totally revamp thier schedule. Other than TBBT, nothing else is really working, so why not move TBBT back to Monday permanently and use TNF to launch a completely new Thursday schedule in November? This is probably CBS best possible schedule next year:

MONDAY
    8:00 Mike & Molly
    8:30 Mom
    9:00 The Big Bang Theory
    9:30 NEW COMEDY
    10:00 NEW DRAMA

M&M has performed admirably on the night this season, so use it as the lead-off. Mom would then have a chance to grow into the hit is deserves hammocked between M&M and TBBT, and TBBT would be a good lead-in for the net’s best new comedy and drama.

TUESDAY
    8:00 NCIS
    9:00 NCIS NOLA (NEW)
    10:00 Person of Interest

Give CBS’ next sure-fire hit the best possible lead-in.

WEDNESDAY
    8:00 NCIS LA
    9:00 Criminal Minds
    10:00 CSI
    NCIS LA would generate the same demos as Survivor, but it could possibly deliver 2-3 million more viewers as a lead-in for CM and CSI. There also wouldn’t be a drag on the night associated with the long delay between the two Survivor seasons.

THURSDAY

Sept-Oct
    Thursday Night Football
    Oct-May
    8:00 Survivor
    9:00 The Amazing Race
    10:00 NEW DRAMA

Yes, I know this seems odd, but this may be the best spot for CBS’ two big reality shows. By starting later, both shows can take a two-week holiday break and conclude somewhere around the beginning of February. Special programming can air on the night for a couple of weeks, and the second seasons of each could start the last Thursday of February sweeps. Now, how can CBS get some new viewers to watch both shows after football? CELEBRITY FALL EDITIONS!!!!!!! But get some BIG names, not those DWTS/Celebrity Apprentice crappy casts.

FRIDAY
    8:00 Hawaii 5-0
    9:00 Blue Bloods
    10:00 The Good Wife

H50 has done well on the night, and it would be a more consistent lead-off than Undercover Boss. I have always thought that Blue Bloods would perform even better at an earlier hour, and TGW is simply as selfish choice on my part. It’s just too good to be cancelled, and this is the best spot for it.

SUNDAY

Fall
    7:00 NFL Overrun or 60 Minutes Sports Segments
    7:30 60 Minutes
    8:30 Two and a Half Men (FINAL SEASON)
    9:00 Two Broke Girls
    9:30 The Millers or Friends with Better Lives
    10:00 Elementary

Spring
    7:00 60 Minutes
    8:00 Two and a Half Men (FINAL SEASON)
    8:30 NEW COMEDY
    9:00 Two Broke Girls
    9:30 The Millers or Friends with Better Lives
    10:00 Elementary

Only program three comedies in the fall to help in scheduling around the NFL overruns and use the AFC Championship Game to debut a new comedy.

Comment by ragincajun – February 13, 2014 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what the possibilities are of having the current Thursday line-up transitioning over to the CW on Thursday nights during the 8 weeks. CBS could have their cake & eat it, too. They would get their revenue from the NFL, plus get the Thursday revenue from their subsidiary, the CW.

Comment by TV Fan – February 13, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll follow The Big Bang Theory anywhere so it’s all good.

Comment by John 1138 – February 13, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of figured at least the Big Bang Theory would start the Fall on a new night and i’m betting it’s probably going to be Monday Night.As for where Elementary lands that may depend on what shows CBS cancels.or moves too.Pus CBS could move some shows premieres to midseason and that way they could have less interruptions.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 13, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this disappoints me, mainly because CBS’s NFL coverage is terrible, Fox and NBC have a much more modern production of their NFL games. When I watch the AFC games on CBS I feel like I’m still watching TV in the 90′s.

Comment by mark – February 13, 2014 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really attention-grabbing, You’re a very professional blogger.

I’ve joined your rss feed and stay up for looking for extra of your excellent post.
    Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

Comment by inherit The Wind – February 14, 2014 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while I understand about NFL and the revenue it brings in. I am most upset about how CBS has treated THE MENTALIST this season in its Sunday night time slot. It made it difficult for me to record on dvd in my opinion the most important eposide of this season. It proves what we all know that a fan”s likes and dislikes are no math for the”BIG BUCKS”.
    This is not a pity part but just the facts.

Comment by betty – March 12, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where else are these new episodes playing? We dont have cbs so I guess us without cbs just dont get to see the new episodes?? The bullsh*t!😠😡

Comment by blake – April 10, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post