Pilot Scoop: HIMYM's Cristin Milioti Joins NBC's Rashida Jones-Produced Comedy A to Z

Coming BackHow I Met Your Mother‘s Cristin Milioti is going from A to Z for NBC, snagging the co-lead in the comedy pilot from actor-writers Rashida Jones and Will McCormack.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The potential series chronicles the relationship between a young couple, Andrew and Zelda, from meeting to breakup. Milioti will play the alternately serious and hilarious Zelda, a lawyer at a public-advocacy firm who loves being a grown-up and doesn’t understand why anyone over 20 would go see an animated movie or eat ice cream sundaes. Destiny and fate are not in her vocabulary; she believes she controls her own destiny.

Ben Queen (Cars 2) penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Jones and McCormack.

1. Arie says:

Loved her ever since her guest stint on 30 Rock. I wonder, does anyone know if she left the Once musical to do HIMYM specifically?

2. Char Richo says:

I wanted Chyler Leigh to be the mother, but Cristin has really won me over. She is very talented, so I’m happy to see she’s snagged a lead role for after Mother is over.

3. tara17 says:

Not sure about this premise… Are we really going to watch a couple break up over the course of several years? “How I met, dated, moved in, and broke up with your mother”! Anyway, good casting and good writing make all the difference. Milioti is great, enjoying her work since 30 Rock.

• Danny says:

There’s a musical, soon-to-be movie that explores a similar concept, “The Last Five Years”; it chronicled a relationship, from the beginning to the break up, from the point of view of each part of the couple, but the timelines going in reverse, it was quite a successful storytelling device in my opinion :)

4. Eric says:

I always picture Cristin as a more happy, quirky person. It’ll be weird seeing her be serious if this goes to series. Still, I’d be ready to tune in. I loves me a comedy, and she is adorable.

• e says:

i thought that too! this sounds like the “anti-mother”, based on what we have seen of her on HIMYM. Glad she found a role so quickly afterwards so she isn’t pigeonholed just as the mother moving forward. I’ll be curious to see who is cast as Andrew, though I’m surprised no one has made any jokes so far about Josh Radnor appearing as her opposite :)

5. Karina says:

She was awful in Wolf of Wall st.

6. Anita says:

Wait is Rashida herself going to act in this at all?

7. brynnomsfordmommasqwirl says:

I guess I missed something somewhere. Isnt she going to be in How I Met Your Dad? Or is one pilot in first and another is in second?

• lariet50 says:

How I Met Your Dad is actually an entirely new show, with the same concept. So totally new characters. Greta Gerwig is taking the lead in that.

• Matt C. says:

How I Met Your Dad has nothing to dow with Cristin Milioti or any of the cast of HIMYM. It’s about a brand new group of characters.

8. firelight19 says:

A show about a couple that ends with how they break up? Isn’t that gonna just be a bummer by the end?

9. erin says:

I was looking forward to this….until now.

10. Kim says:

I think she was the worst selection for the mother ever! So many great choices along the way. I find this girl obnoxious and my husband (who never says anything bad about anyone) says he can’t even look at her because she is so awkward looking and needs a dentist (his words, not mine. Would have loved Chyler, Rachel Bilson, etc..

11. william says:

I was lucky enough to see a rough cut of the pilot on a test panel. This show will be be good. If you like himym you’ll love this one. I feel himym jumped the shark a long time ago, and a to z captures the magic of the first season, while being plenty different enough.

12. Adrian says:

this show sounds quite a lot like himym, especially its early years. cristin’s casting just makes it more ironic