Pilot Scoop: John Wesley Shipp Joins The Flash

John Wesley Shipp The FlashIt’s a Flash-back!

John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen/The Flash in CBS’ short-lived ’90s version of The Flash, has joined The CW’s in-the-works revival, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Shipp will guest star in the pilot in a mystery role. If The Flash is ordered to series, Shipp’s character will likely recur.

The project — a spin-off of The CW’s Arrow — stars Grant Gustin as the titular crimefighter. The cast also includes Candice Patton (as Barry Allen’s best friend Iris West), Jesse L. Martin (as Barry’s father figure — and Iris’ dad — Central City Detective West), Carlos Valdes (as engineering genius Cisco Roman), Danielle Panabaker (as bioengineering expert Caitlin Snow), Rick Cosnett (as Detective Eddie Thawne) and Tom Cavanagh (as S.T.A.R. Labs scientist Harrison Wells).

Thoughts about the cheeky bit of casting? Theories about who he’s playing? Hit the comments!

1. Kat says:

on first glance I thought that said Wesley Snipes.

2. Nate says:

I bet he plays Jay Garrick.

3. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

He’ll always be Dawson’s dad to me.

4. Christian says:

Am I the only one thinking he’s playing Barry’s father? In the Arrow eps and the New 52, Barry’s dad is in jail for the murder of his mother.

5. Matt says:

This is really cool and unexpected. If he ends up playing Jay Garrick (the original Flash from the comics) I will absolutely flip.

6. spotteddog says:

Agree Nate – Jay Garrick

7. Brittany says:

This show is really filling out nicely. I am very excited!

8. Teag says:

Awesome. Thinking of retrying Arrow again. Kinda stopped around season 1 episode 11.

9. Let out a LOUD scream when I read this! So cool and hopefully we’ll see the pilot!

10. Mick says:

This may be the best casted CW pilot ever!

11. Professor Zoom, maybe?

• Alan says:

they already cast him, rick cosnett is playing eddie thawne.

• I figured that be Zoom’s ancestor.

• Alan says:

i highly doubt they are going to go with zoom being from the 25th century, they are still trying to keep the universe as grounded as possible so far.

• Time travel will play a part of this show. The way Barry’s mother died as he told Felicity in arrow makes it clear that the killer was Zoom. Whether it’s this Eddie from the 21st Century or Edward from the 25th it wouldn’t make much difference. I’d still rather Eddie Thwane was Cobalt Blue, Barry’s long-lost twin brother.

• It’s perfectly possible that Eddie can be Zoom from the 25th Century, just like Iris can be from the 31st. You don’t do a Flash TV show and not include time travel. It’s part of the concept. Cosmic Treadmill and all that. One of the best episodes of the original series was when Barry was catapulted into the future.

12. Nicole says:

Now we’re really talking! So awesome that JWS is in this. Now if we can get Justice League Flash aka Michael Rosenbaum in a guest spot I’d be in heaven.

13. ggny says:

It is kind of obvious he is playing Jay Garrick

• Alan says:

its far more likely that he is playing henry allen.

• lll says:

I see him in both versions. On one hand he could be Jay Garrick, showing the new Flash the ropes. On the other hand I can see him being the father (similar to how Teri Hatcher played Erica Durance’s mom–and they both played Lois Lane).

14. ejknight says:

He will be playing a research doctor Dr. Kelly Nelson.

15. Claire says:

When watching Dawson’s Creek, I always thought — he’ll always be the Flash to me LOL So glad he will be on board!

16. theschnauzers says:

The creative team for Arrow and the Flash seem to have the right approach about casting both shows, and they’re not afraid to use actors who have been in well done genre (sci fi-comic-fanasty) series in the past and they’ve been milking that pipeline well. I remember seeing speculation about having JWS for this particular spinoff so whoever thought of that first a few months ago, well done!

17. Polly says:

Really don’t care about what role he’s gonna play. I’m just happy that they recognize the legacy of that show. Now use the original theme song, even if it’s just for the pilot, and I’ll be forever grateful :D

18. haukmoor says:

Greatest Legacy in comics belongs to the Flash Family, happy to see it spills over to our world.

19. DiverKlein says:

Awesome. I really enjoyed him as Flash. Even had the series box set for awhile. If he’s Jay, that would be really cool. Someone to give Barry guidance.

20. Amanda says:

This is fantastic!!! I remember him as The Flash, Dawson’s dad on “Dawson’s Creek”, and Bastian’s dad in movie “The Neverending Story”. My guess too is he’ll be Barry’s father Henry who’s in jail who Barry is trying to help clear of his mom’s murder. It’s possible he could be Jay but I think it’s more likely he’ll be Henry. I’m going to have to tell my parents this as they loved the 90s series and were already interested in the reboot as well.

21. enri says:

Please just order this to series now.

22. Joey says:

glad they got him to guest star on the show. I can’t wait to see who his character is.

23. sarah says:

Mitch Leery! Can not wait! This show is quickly becoming the most anticipated pilot for me.

24. Jason says:

He was even in NYPD Blue, albeit briefly. Always loved the Flash but that show was a bit ahead of it’s time and suffered from a few other scheduling quirks out of it’s or the networks control.

25. Scott says:

All those are good guesses but… Barry’s dad is in prison so he can’t be lurking around. Doubtful on Jay as JWS isn’t old enough, and the Arrow/DC movie- verse seem to have no JSA. They retooled the first Black Carnay to be the sister and not the mother of the future BC. Batman appears to be the oldest hero. But there is a DC hero of the Flash-verse that JWS and the character description does match… Max Mercury. When he was introduced he lurked around, helped out on occasion, and is tied directly to the speed force.

26. bbussey says:

Given that it will be a recurring role, it has to be either Barry’s father or Jay Garrick.