Scoop: JoAnna Garcia Swisher Snags Starring Role in ABC's Astronaut Wives Club

Get More: Casting News

120910593JN023_Monique_LhuiHouston, we most definitely don’t have a problem.

JoAnna Garcia Swisher has landed one of the lead roles in Astronaut Wives Club, ABC’s straight-to-series adaptation of Lily Koppel’s 2013 bestseller, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring in Them

Penned by Gossip Girl‘s Stephanie Savage, the drama follows a group of women who support their star-bound husbands during the 1960s space race.

Swisher, who’s set to wrap up her stint as Ariel on Once Upon a Time later this season, will play Betty, the wife of one of the original astronauts. Betty’s got a down-home appeal, which endears her to the public. She also seems to have something of a clairvoyant gift when it comes to her dreams which often prove all too accurate. Terrified that her husband will die, Betty is growing increasingly nervous. She had worked hard to put Gus through college, and raised their son solo while he was off at war. She’s beginning to feel like they’re no longer a team.

Comments (23)

• Dang! I was hoping shed get a series regular position on OUAT

Comment by J – February 11, 2014 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was sort of hoping this too, because she’s adorable but seriously the regular cast is big enough (even minus the someone who is leaving) so I’m happy to see she’ll be on a show I’m actually interested in watching.

Comment by Amy – February 11, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Joanna on “Once Upon a Time” but I agree that the cast already is too large. However she still can recur as this new show is a summer series and will only have 10 eps in it’s 1st season. So she’ll be free again once “OUAT” stars filming season 4. Plus both shows are on ABC so that helps if she’s needed.

Comment by Amanda – February 11, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was never going to happen. Now they only make a guest star a regular if they’re related to or a love interest to one of the main characters. They will most likely make Robin Hood a regular and that could be why they’re killing someone off, to make room for another regular.

Comment by Brian – February 11, 2014 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phew, at least that means her arc will be done on Once Upon a Time. Ariel was such a misstep. They already have a naive ingénue they don’t make good use of.

Comment by xav – February 11, 2014 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t mean that at all. This is a summer series to start filming soon, only 10 episodes. She’ll be able to be in season 4 if they want her back.

Comment by Brian – February 11, 2014 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, this breaks her post Reba curse. RIP Animal Practice and Better With You.

Comment by Thilia – February 11, 2014 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and (arguably) the best one of them all : Privileged.

Comment by pmill – February 11, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not arguably. DEFINITELY the best one of them all. I still miss Privileged. It was way better than Reba.

Comment by dude – February 11, 2014 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s a good actress but I hadn’t watched any of the shows she’s been on. Hope this one will be a good one BUT I’d love to see a Reba reunion :)
      Hopefully the new show won’t be on during one of the shows I always watch.

Comment by Marynelle Shoaf Vickers – February 11, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given what I know of the Mercury program, it’s safe to hazard a guess that she’ll be playing Betty Grissom…

Think I’ll be giving the show a shot.

Comment by Steve F. – February 11, 2014 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen her as a strong dramatic actress. I think she’s better suited to comedy.

Comment by Kaycee – February 11, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch American Dreams. I remember JJ wanted to be an Astronaut but was not admitted and later went to war. This sounds interesting.

Comment by wingsstef – February 11, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I highly recommend to anyone interested in this show to read the book “The Astronaut Wives Club”. I just finished very recently, I think the day before I got the first TVLine notice that it got a series pickup! It makes me wonder how they’ll pace the show — are the first few seasons going to be on the Mercury 7 wives? How much will they dramatize the story/characters, or will they stay true to reality? Love Ms. Swisher, and looking forward to this show!

Comment by Ashleigh – February 11, 2014 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was interested in this show, but I cannot take her seriously in a dramatic role. Guess this will be one show that will not take up space on my DVR

Comment by Pam – February 11, 2014 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO TIRED of yet another WIVES from somewhere show! Enough!!! There must be something more entertaining than getting ones fingers polished or that third massage this week!! MOST folks don’t live this way and I don’t want it rubbed into my face all the time about how some rich group has it so well ! Sorry, just sayin’.

Comment by karen – February 11, 2014 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I REALLY can’t stand when people don’t read the article thoroughly (or at all) and just comment. This isn’t some stupid reality show about fake “real housewives” of some random city. It’s a scripted, network drama about the space race that’s based on a best selling book. Two vastly different genres.

Comment by Ron – February 11, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s got super powers?

Comment by Josh – February 11, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ewwww I will never watch anything penned by someone who wrote Gossip Girl mich less a show about women. She does not know how to write women AT ALL!

Comment by C – February 11, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another show killer. This one won’t last if it gets picked up.

Comment by woodyinho – February 11, 2014 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting! I really like her, and I love that era. I think I may just need to pick up this book this series is being based off of.

Comment by Robin – February 11, 2014 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show doesn’t look promising. How much material could there be? It won’t make it through a season.

Comment by Keith – February 12, 2014 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering how this site likes to point out links between people (that are often so far removed and almost inconsequential), I’m surprised there was no mention of her past appearance on Gossip Girl which is actually a direct connection.

Comment by Link – February 14, 2014 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post