Ratings: Walking Dead Ties Series High, Trumps Olympics; Beatles Salute Draws Good Crowd

Ratings Walking Dead Season 4B PremiereThe Walking Dead‘s Season 4B premiere drew 15.8 million total viewers, with 10.4 mil landing in the coveted 18-49 sweet spot — thus matching the zombie drama’s best ever delivery of that demo (set by this season’s opener).

RELATED | The Walking Dead Winter Premiere Recap: Growing Pains

Even opposite the mighty Olympics, the AMC hit grew more than 30 percent from its midseason finale (12.1 mil/7.7 mil) and significantly outperformed its season-to-date average (13 mil/8.4 mil).

TWD’s series high in total audience stands at 16.1 million viewers, set by the Season 4 premiere.

RELATED | Winter Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Sochi 2014, Day 2?

Dominating Sunday night in total audience was NBC’s Winter Olympics coverage, which during primetime averaged 25.4 million viewers with a 6.9 demo rating, down a smidgen from the comparable night in 2010. (To date, Sochi is trailing the Vancouver games by 13 percent in audience and 10 percent in the demo.)

RELATED | Downton Abbey Recap: Down and Dirty

Going up against the Dead and Olympics, CBS’ Grammys/Beatles anniversary concert special drew 14 mil and a 2.1 rating.

1. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I never imagined a little show about zombies would become a ratings juggernaut. But, the Walking Dead truly deserves it. Best show on television.

• TV Gord says:

If it had just been a zombie show, I definitely would not have watched it. I’m not a fan of the genre at all. What drew me in was the morality play; what would you do in some kind of apocalypse? Where do you fall on the line between compassion for your fellow humans and survival of the fittest. I love watching those issues play out each week. Last night, for example, not many surly teens who tell a parent, “I wish you were dead”, are confronted with that possibility the was Carl was. Juicy storytelling!

I agree with you, though. I never thought this show would become the hit that it has. Lucky us! :-)

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Agreed. I came for the gory zombie show…I stayed for the breathtaking character studies the show continues to present. Lucky us, indeed.

2. Pat says:

My Husband was in his glory last night, when the Walking Dead returned. That is all he has been doing these past couple of weeks is counting down the days for its return. I asked him how the episode was and he said fantastic. For me, I watched the Beatles Salute so I could reminisce my years as a Beatle Fan. I was 13 years old in 1964 and I will never forget watching them on the Ed Sullivan Show that February.From that moment on, I was one of those screaming girls, as were all of my friends, and I have to say that last night, brought all the fun memories back for me!

3. Lena says:

Enjoyed Walking Dead last night. I’m glad it is doing so well. :)

4. Anon says:

More people watched the Olympics. That’s all that matters, not the demo.

• jerry says:

If only you monopolize all advertisers in the world. Sometimes I feel that way too.

• bk says:

I guess you also truly think Blue Bloods is one of the top 10 highest rated shows in the nation. Total viewers doesn’t mean anything since only stuff that skews very old can get high total viewers because the younger audiences(the demo) watches shows in a different manner. Total viewers on live airing is no indication how many actual people are watching a show. Many people stream online and shows like TWD with high demo ratings are highly streamed and live events like The Olympics and older skewing shows tend to get very few downloads online.

5. Mikael says:

Good for TWD. It is such a great show. Good zombie action here and there and great character development.