Parenthood Webisodes to Host First Actual Friday Night Lights Character Crossover

Parenthood Friday Night Lights CrossoverParenthood over the years has welcomed many a visit from Friday Night Lights alumni — but now for the first time some of Coach Taylor’s old charges will actually be crossing over to Jason Katims’ NBC drama.

RELATED | The Friday Night Lights Movie Is Dead

NBC announced on Monday that Parenthood’s four-part digital companion series, “Friday Night at the Luncheonette,” will follow Amber (Mae Whitman) as she keeps an eye on her cousin Max (Max Burkholder) while working after hours at the recording studio. During Amber’s odyssey, Jesse Plemons and Derek Phillips will reprise their FNL roles of Landry Clarke and Billy Riggins, respectively, when the band Crucifictorious shows up to jam.

Just wait till they hear about her heated romance with Luke!

“Friday Night at the Luncheonette” debuts Thursday, Feb. 13. (Oh wait, now I get it — Friday Night. Ha.)

Earlier this winter, Katims crossed over David Walton’s About a Boy manchild to Parenthood, and plans to do same by having Crosby Braverman visit the soon-to-premiere NBC comedy.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The other web series en route from NBC are Parks and Recreation’s “The Hapley Group” (featuring newscaster Perd, Crazy Ira, “The Douche” and Joan Callamezzo),  Chicago Fire‘s “I Am A Firefighter” (which follows Dawson as she awaits the next phase of her firefighter training) and Grimm‘s “Love Is in the Air” (in which Rosalee and Juliette gather their girlfriends for a spa party, only to discover a Zieglevolk casting a love spell among the group).

Comments (31)

• oh man… i love both parenthood and friday night lights, but for some reason i don’t see the point of this…

Comment by e – February 10, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s fun and entertaining. What more do you need?

Comment by TV Gord – February 10, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME.

Comment by jimbo – February 10, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek Phillips has already appeared on Parenthood as another character – the episode of Crosby& Jasmine’s wedding…

Comment by AM – February 10, 2014 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering about that too. Wasn’t he Crosby’s best man?

Comment by SusanD – February 10, 2014 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His name was Billy

Comment by ssquared – February 10, 2014 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Billy Gardner according to Imdb. Though I can ignore the change if it means more FNL alumn gracing the screen! :)

Comment by AM – February 10, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m game. Two of my favorite shows of all time.

Comment by Tony – February 10, 2014 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never seen watched an episode of Parenthood but I think I’ll make an exeption for this one! Can’t wait!

Comment by V – February 10, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and my excitement got the better of me. I forgot to delete the ‘seen’. Whoops!

Comment by V – February 10, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Crucifictorious was awesome, but what will be the reason to put Billy and Landry together? Or did they end up as ‘family’ through Tyra and Mindy?

Comment by EJ386 – February 10, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Plemons is back on my screen. Such a phenomenal actor, but not sure if I’ll be able to get psycho Todd out of my head

Comment by Karen – February 10, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds awesome….except for the Max part

Comment by Kay – February 10, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber and Max were pretty sweet together, though, back when she helped him write that apology letter to one of his classmates.

Comment by jimbo – February 10, 2014 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woh, my mind is blown! Especially as there was an episode where Max is with Haddie and Alex (played by FNL’s Michael B. Jordan) and he actually refers to Friday Night Lights. TV is a crazy world!

Comment by Tewilliger Jones Esq. – February 10, 2014 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just came here because of Meth Damon “er Hi Mister White”

Comment by Azerty – February 10, 2014 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rather have Jeffster

Comment by Joe – February 10, 2014 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping Billy drops a line that after building his house, Tim took off to Vanderbilt to “see about a girl.”

Comment by CC – February 10, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Billy Riggins was played by Taylor Kitsch

Comment by eap4j@aol.com – February 10, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My bad…Tim Riggins was played by Taylor Kitsch

Comment by eap4j@aol.com – February 10, 2014 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her?

Comment by Eolra – February 10, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy. I’M REALLY REALLY HAPPY!

Comment by Miranda – February 10, 2014 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no Parenthood on until the Winter Olympics are over. So this does not debut Feb. 13th! It won’t be until Feb. 27th.

Comment by Ann – February 10, 2014 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right about Parenthood not coming back until February 27th, but that’s the point: this crossover will be available online, to keep viewers engaged until the main show is back on TV.

Comment by emma (@emmerrrrrrr) – February 11, 2014 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s an online series.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 11, 2014 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both of these shows, but these seems silly. I hope the great writing and acting of Parenthood isn’t been run into the ground by NBC execs who are making these shows crossover.

Comment by Sophie (@soph_27) – February 11, 2014 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, I’m sure NBC were desperate for 2 .lowly rated shows to crossover. This was all Jason Katims.

Comment by chris – February 24, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is amazing! Love Parenthood, love FNL even more. But I’m most excited for Mae Whitman because she must be over the freaking moon about this.

Comment by Amanda – February 11, 2014 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love FNL, but this doesn’t make sense to me. Parenthood has already featured several prominent FNL actors (Matt Lauria, Minka Kelly) as non-FNL characters. So now Landry and Billy exist in a world with people who happen to be complete doppelgängers of their friends? Are they going to retcon that, or will it just be an elephant in the room?

Comment by Alia – February 11, 2014 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That happens on TV all the time. How boring would it be to have to explain every little inconsistency on a TV show.

Comment by TV Gord – February 12, 2014 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post