NCIS: New Orleans Adds Fast & Furious Actor

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Lucas Black NCIS New OrleansNCIS: New Orleans has found its fourth and final team member.

Following last week’s castings of Scott Bakula, CCH Pounder and JAG alum Zoe McClellan, film vet Lucas Black has been tapped to fill the last role on the planted spinoff, playing NCIS Special Agent LaSalle.

Meaning, my casting superpowers are thus far limited to Scandal teenagers.

RELATED | Bishop Officially Joins Gibbs’ NCIS Team: Yea or Nay?

Having relocated to New Orleans as a kid, LaSalle is described as “embodying the city’s edge and fun and sexiness,” “a man who works hard and plays harder” and a “no-nonsense federal agent who believes in doing what’s right no matter what.”

Exec-produced by NCIS boss Gary Glasberg and star Mark Harmon and following cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle, the prospective New Orleans-set offshoot will air as a springtime NCIS two-parter.

The Alabama-born Black’s previous credits include two Fast & Furious movies, 42, the Friday Night Lights film and 1999′s Crazy in Alabama. As for the smaller screen, his resume includes CBS’ one-and-done mid-1990s horror series American Gothic.

Comments (62)

• Is that an awful picture of him or is he just looking terrible lately? He was so hunky…

Comment by Kel – February 10, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, the picture has been changed since you made your comment.

Comment by Kristen – February 10, 2014 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What were no good looking actors available?

Comment by Elliot – February 10, 2014 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree.
      Terrible choice.
      Compared with other cast, terrible….
      Anyway, I give them chance.

Comment by name – February 10, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes lets not discuss his acting talents, lets go straight to looks, if this was a comment about an actress you would get screamed at for sexism.

Comment by Alan – February 10, 2014 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair there was a really strange picture of him when the article was first posted. Now everyone that commented on his looks seems insane.

Comment by Kristen – February 10, 2014 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure what his looks have to do with his acting chops. We can see what some viewers are watching for,

Comment by Rob – February 10, 2014 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The character he is playing is described as “embodying the city’s edge and fun and sexiness,”

That is where the looks come in. Stop being so high and mighty. Lucas Black doesn’t embody sexy to me.

Comment by Julie – February 10, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He doesn’t embody sexy to me either ;-)

Comment by Rob – February 10, 2014 08:09 PM PDT
        • I agree. What do looks have to do with acting ability?? Many supposedly great looking men and women who have not been able to act have been given choice spots and have been rather poor choices as they just smile a lot or whatever they do. Pose a lot I guess.

Comment by Patricia – February 11, 2014 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly! ;-)

If they change agent LaSalle for agent Borine (Diane Neal), then they win.
            Why not?
            In NCIS LA is 3 men and 1 girl.
            In NCIS NO can be reverse.
            3 girls and one man (Bakula).
            C’omon Mark and Glasberg, do it!

Comment by RFT – February 11, 2014 10:48 AM PDT
  • He is the go to guy everyone in Hollywood goes to when they need a southern accent.

Comment by Allen – February 10, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( Well, other than CCH Pounder, not one of these casting choices excites me. I’m sure it’ll still be ok, but I’ve lost of my initial enthusiasm. I’m actually surprised that they didn’t go with an African American actor for this part – I was really expecting it.

Comment by JC – February 10, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucas Black is an excellent choice. He was great as Pee Wee Resse.

Comment by Jack – February 10, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so excited for this show….i love all of the people they’ve picked

Comment by Jessica Chillcott – February 10, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not familiar with him, but as long as he can hold his own with Bakula and Pounder it sounds good.

Comment by tejasjulia – February 10, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is encouraging to see his credits. I’m really looking forward to the spinoff! I’m much more excited about this one than I was about LA (which I find incredibly tedious). Can’t wait for the Crescent City episodes. :-)

Comment by tejasjulia – February 10, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t worry Matt our prediction skills are even worse, but I honestly loved your prediction for this show. I need KaDee back on my TV Asap! Do you have some intel where she could pop up? Besides the shondaland? Lucas seems a fine choice but the group dynamic is really important here. Intelligence has great actors but we rarely have great cast interactions besides Riley and Gabe.

Comment by spindae2 – February 10, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With filming close I’m glad they’ve announced that Lucas will be joining the new team. With this great casting I think we’re going to get a winner this time.

Comment by NoChance – February 10, 2014 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved him in American Gothic

Comment by dj – February 10, 2014 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weird casting. I was expecting him to be in every new fast and furious film, also i was really hoping they would cast Tom Welling.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 10, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he is signed up for the next fast and furious film but production is currently still on hold as the script is being rewritten to deal with paul walkers death.

Comment by Alan – February 10, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Depending on the F&F filming schedule he may still be able to do the films.

Comment by tejasjulia – February 10, 2014 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some really shallow comments, forget his looks and pay attention to his acting skills.

Now, Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle, and only one African-American actor? That’s lame.

Comment by JulieAnn – February 10, 2014 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Based on the part of the country they’re set in, I would have thought at least one of the field agents would be African American. I’m a little disappointed.

Comment by JC – February 10, 2014 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cry me a river. Not every show has to have a black actor. This one has a actor named Black. What more do you want?

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 10, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bohoo, river. Unless the show is about vikings in the 13th century, hell, yes, all TV shows settled in contemporary US have to have black.character. But this show is called New Orleans, a city where 60% of the population is African-American cannot have just one black character. Add in the fact that tis team follow cases from a particular part of the country, yeah, sorry, they need more black actors.

Comment by JulieAnn – February 10, 2014 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, I don’t think that every contemporary US-based show must have a black character. But this one cries out for at least one, if not two. It is set in New Orleans after all.

Comment by Miffay – February 10, 2014 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Federal agencies don’t draw simply from the locals.

That said I’d still have preferred Salli Richardson-Whitfield rather than Scott.

Comment by John NYC – February 10, 2014 04:40 PM PDT
          • No, but this character in particular was described as a local. In fact, except for the character that Zoe is playing, they all sound like locals. Think what you want, but I’m surprised at this. Having CCH Pounder is great, but if it’s like the original show, her character is supporting, and most of the storytelling will be focused on the field team. One of them should have been African American IMO.

Comment by JC – February 11, 2014 06:00 AM PDT
      • And not every show has to have a Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian, Pacific Islander East Indian or any other ethnic actor out there because, Our America the Beautiful, is still as racist as ever.

Comment by ryce – February 11, 2014 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t run in a diabolical sheriff, Black should be just fine.

Comment by Sheldon W. – February 10, 2014 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Someone’s at the door…

Comment by Znachki – February 10, 2014 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you can do a lot worse, the cast is shaping up pretty well.
    are there only going to be 4 main cast members for the potential spin off? or are these just the characters that will be in the episode with more being added if and when the actual show starts up?
    anyway really disappointed by the comments on here, when did the community on this site become so superficial? if any of those comments were made about a woman there would be massive controversy.

Comment by Alan – February 10, 2014 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “following cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle”. How do you get from Pensacola through Mississippi without crossing into Alabama?

Comment by Spikenalabama – February 10, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • those are just the edges of the region that they cover, not the exact places.

Comment by Alan – February 10, 2014 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you all don’t know who he is, finds a copy of the movie Sling Blade. That’s the first thing I saw him in.

Comment by Leah – February 10, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know next to nothing about him, but I hope he’s a good fit!

Comment by BJ – February 10, 2014 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s no-nonsense AND he works hard/plays hard? That seems like a personality contradiction.

Comment by Charley – February 10, 2014 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he is no nonsense on the job, all nonsense of the job, there thats how that can work.

Comment by Alan – February 10, 2014 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope playing hard doesn’t mean glorifying drinking, partying and bedding. Let’s hope for some storytelling craft. The actors picked seem competent, so the show should be entertaining.

Comment by prish – February 10, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should have been Tom Welling

Comment by MIKE – February 10, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CCH Pounder is African American…as an American Gothic lover great choice in Lucas Black.

Comment by Miriam Maurer – February 10, 2014 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Technically he’s only been in one fast and furious movie as the latest hasn’t come out yet.

Comment by Pat – February 10, 2014 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome choice! Hope this show does well

Comment by Dee – February 10, 2014 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know too much about Lucas Black.So i’lll keep an open mind until i see him on the show.However don’t forget when NCIS:LA premiered on NCIS all those years ago Hetty wasn’t on it either but the series debuted that Fall she was on it.So Lucas and the other 3 actors will be in the episode of NCIS in the Spring but that may not mean they’ll be on the show if it gets picked up.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 10, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. Although just based on the franchise’s history, the odds favor Zoe McLellen as most likely to be replaced. In the three previous shows in the franchise, all of the leading ladies were replaced after the pilot episode(s). For JAG, Andrea Parker was replaced by Tracey Needham (Catherine Bell came on in S2 when the show moved from NBC to CBS). For NCIS, Robyn Lively was replaced by Sasha Alexander, and for NCIS:LA, Louise Lombard was replaced by Linda Hunt (which was the saving of that show if you ask me – that and bringing on Eric Christian Olsen in S2).

Comment by JC – February 10, 2014 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I would be Zoe doesn’t make it. I would not be surprised to see the younger female character replaced with someone whose show is not yet officially cancelled, like Tricia Helfer. :-)

Comment by ragincajun – February 11, 2014 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i would argue that kensi blye is the lead female character on ncis la, hetty has always been secondary to her in my opinion.

Comment by Alan – February 11, 2014 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Even if that’s so, and I’m not sure I agree, it wasn’t that way in the pilot. Louise Lombard’s character Laura Macy was lead. So either Hetty replaced her or Kensi replaced her – either way she was replaced.

Comment by JC – February 11, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling should have been cast as Agent LaSalle… But we’ll see how this goes…

Comment by shuayb – February 10, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • could care less about these actors, not one makes me want to jump up and watch anything that they have done.

Comment by billy ray – February 11, 2014 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This choice surprised me, but he’s a decent actor. I just wonder who else was considered for the role. Personally, I find it odd that this announcement comes after Ben Mackenzie was announced as the lead for Gotham. I bet he was the leading candidate for the role of Agent Lasalle, but when he chose something else, NCIS went with Lucas Black. I thought Tom Welling would have been great as well, but there have been numerous blind items lately noting his having some serious issues in her personal life and CBS probably wanted not part of that.

Comment by ragincajun – February 11, 2014 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad choice will be a flop, mediocre actor with a common beauty and charisma without!

Comment by melany – February 11, 2014 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom welling was not chosen for his personal problems? Tom has just divorced his wife …… and then! Stop the hypocrisy! A TOM certainly not interested in the role or agent of Lucas has more power and influence of the agent Tom! I do not follow the new show.

Comment by sofia – February 11, 2014 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who said Welling wasn’t chosen because he’s divorcing? Where are you coming up with this? Maybe he wasn’t interested. Maybe he wasn’t approached. Maybe CBS couldn’t afford him. Maybe he had a scheduling issue.

Comment by Rob – February 11, 2014 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he really got picked for his accent that’s just plain sad. Given his character description he should have been picked for his sexiness. And call me shallow, but he doesn’t do it for me either.

And I agree with you about Linda Hunt on NCIS, JC.

Comment by bj – February 14, 2014 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure hope this spin-off has more to offer than the current NCIS LA. I watch it, occasionally, but it doesn’t peak my interest the way the original continues to do after 10+ years.. NCIS is one of so few shows that are decent TV these days, NCIS LA wans in comparison. It is not a program that I would get upset if I missed it or forgot to record it. I would watch reruns of NCIS any day versus some of the garbage on TV these days, like Big Bang Theory, Neighbors, Honey Boo Boo, Sister Wives and now 5 Wives, OMG please have those stations blow up, I can’t even turn to those channels. Seriously, what is so interesting about a fat little gross girl and her fat, gross family, some people need to get a life.

Comment by Lynette – February 24, 2014 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS LA barely survived and it has taken them years to finally get a following. Unless they bump LA to another night and put this right behind NCIS, I don’t see it lasting long.

Comment by Meme – February 24, 2014 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed in the casting…cmon,Scott Bakula? and the rest do nothing for me either.I was so excited when I first heard about it now,I really would be shocked if its even remotely good….PLEASE RECAST

Comment by MARK VETTER – February 24, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucas Black is a great actor and a new NCIS may even be a hit.

Comment by Frances Evans – February 25, 2014 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post