NCIS: New Orleans Adds Fast & Furious Actor

Lucas Black NCIS New OrleansNCIS: New Orleans has found its fourth and final team member.

Following last week’s castings of Scott Bakula, CCH Pounder and JAG alum Zoe McClellan, film vet Lucas Black has been tapped to fill the last role on the planted spinoff, playing NCIS Special Agent LaSalle.

Meaning, my casting superpowers are thus far limited to Scandal teenagers.

RELATED | Bishop Officially Joins Gibbs’ NCIS Team: Yea or Nay?

Having relocated to New Orleans as a kid, LaSalle is described as “embodying the city’s edge and fun and sexiness,” “a man who works hard and plays harder” and a “no-nonsense federal agent who believes in doing what’s right no matter what.”

Exec-produced by NCIS boss Gary Glasberg and star Mark Harmon and following cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle, the prospective New Orleans-set offshoot will air as a springtime NCIS two-parter.

The Alabama-born Black’s previous credits include two Fast & Furious movies, 42, the Friday Night Lights film and 1999′s Crazy in Alabama. As for the smaller screen, his resume includes CBS’ one-and-done mid-1990s horror series American Gothic.

1. Kel says:

Is that an awful picture of him or is he just looking terrible lately? He was so hunky…

2. Elliot says:

What were no good looking actors available?

• name says:

I agree.
      Terrible choice.
      Compared with other cast, terrible….
      Anyway, I give them chance.

• Alan says:

yes lets not discuss his acting talents, lets go straight to looks, if this was a comment about an actress you would get screamed at for sexism.

• Kristen says:

To be fair there was a really strange picture of him when the article was first posted. Now everyone that commented on his looks seems insane.

• Rob says:

I’m not sure what his looks have to do with his acting chops. We can see what some viewers are watching for,

• Julie says:

The character he is playing is described as “embodying the city’s edge and fun and sexiness,”

That is where the looks come in. Stop being so high and mighty. Lucas Black doesn’t embody sexy to me.

• Patricia says:

I agree. What do looks have to do with acting ability?? Many supposedly great looking men and women who have not been able to act have been given choice spots and have been rather poor choices as they just smile a lot or whatever they do. Pose a lot I guess.

• RFT says:

Exactly! ;-)

If they change agent LaSalle for agent Borine (Diane Neal), then they win.
            Why not?
            In NCIS LA is 3 men and 1 girl.
            In NCIS NO can be reverse.
            3 girls and one man (Bakula).
            C’omon Mark and Glasberg, do it!

3. Allen says:

He is the go to guy everyone in Hollywood goes to when they need a southern accent.

4. JC says:

:( Well, other than CCH Pounder, not one of these casting choices excites me. I’m sure it’ll still be ok, but I’ve lost of my initial enthusiasm. I’m actually surprised that they didn’t go with an African American actor for this part – I was really expecting it.

5. Jack says:

Lucas Black is an excellent choice. He was great as Pee Wee Resse.

6. Jessica Chillcott says:

so excited for this show….i love all of the people they’ve picked

7. tejasjulia says:

I’m not familiar with him, but as long as he can hold his own with Bakula and Pounder it sounds good.

8. tejasjulia says:

It is encouraging to see his credits. I’m really looking forward to the spinoff! I’m much more excited about this one than I was about LA (which I find incredibly tedious). Can’t wait for the Crescent City episodes. :-)

9. spindae2 says:

Don’t worry Matt our prediction skills are even worse, but I honestly loved your prediction for this show. I need KaDee back on my TV Asap! Do you have some intel where she could pop up? Besides the shondaland? Lucas seems a fine choice but the group dynamic is really important here. Intelligence has great actors but we rarely have great cast interactions besides Riley and Gabe.

10. NoChance says:

With filming close I’m glad they’ve announced that Lucas will be joining the new team. With this great casting I think we’re going to get a winner this time.

11. dj says:

Loved him in American Gothic

12. CBWBDK1 says:

Weird casting. I was expecting him to be in every new fast and furious film, also i was really hoping they would cast Tom Welling.

13. JulieAnn says:

Some really shallow comments, forget his looks and pay attention to his acting skills.

Now, Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle, and only one African-American actor? That’s lame.

• JC says:

Agreed. Based on the part of the country they’re set in, I would have thought at least one of the field agents would be African American. I’m a little disappointed.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Cry me a river. Not every show has to have a black actor. This one has a actor named Black. What more do you want?

• JulieAnn says:

Bohoo, river. Unless the show is about vikings in the 13th century, hell, yes, all TV shows settled in contemporary US have to have black.character. But this show is called New Orleans, a city where 60% of the population is African-American cannot have just one black character. Add in the fact that tis team follow cases from a particular part of the country, yeah, sorry, they need more black actors.

• Miffay says:

No, I don’t think that every contemporary US-based show must have a black character. But this one cries out for at least one, if not two. It is set in New Orleans after all.

• John NYC says:

Federal agencies don’t draw simply from the locals.

That said I’d still have preferred Salli Richardson-Whitfield rather than Scott.

• JC says:

No, but this character in particular was described as a local. In fact, except for the character that Zoe is playing, they all sound like locals. Think what you want, but I’m surprised at this. Having CCH Pounder is great, but if it’s like the original show, her character is supporting, and most of the storytelling will be focused on the field team. One of them should have been African American IMO.

• ryce says:

And not every show has to have a Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian, Pacific Islander East Indian or any other ethnic actor out there because, Our America the Beautiful, is still as racist as ever.

14. Sheldon W. says:

As long as they don’t run in a diabolical sheriff, Black should be just fine.

15. Alan says:

you can do a lot worse, the cast is shaping up pretty well.
    are there only going to be 4 main cast members for the potential spin off? or are these just the characters that will be in the episode with more being added if and when the actual show starts up?
    anyway really disappointed by the comments on here, when did the community on this site become so superficial? if any of those comments were made about a woman there would be massive controversy.

16. Spikenalabama says:

“following cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle”. How do you get from Pensacola through Mississippi without crossing into Alabama?

17. Leah says:

If you all don’t know who he is, finds a copy of the movie Sling Blade. That’s the first thing I saw him in.

18. BJ says:

I know next to nothing about him, but I hope he’s a good fit!

19. Charley says:

He’s no-nonsense AND he works hard/plays hard? That seems like a personality contradiction.

20. prish says:

I hope playing hard doesn’t mean glorifying drinking, partying and bedding. Let’s hope for some storytelling craft. The actors picked seem competent, so the show should be entertaining.

21. MIKE says:

should have been Tom Welling

22. Miriam Maurer says:

CCH Pounder is African American…as an American Gothic lover great choice in Lucas Black.

23. Pat says:

Technically he’s only been in one fast and furious movie as the latest hasn’t come out yet.

24. Dee says:

Awesome choice! Hope this show does well

25. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t know too much about Lucas Black.So i’lll keep an open mind until i see him on the show.However don’t forget when NCIS:LA premiered on NCIS all those years ago Hetty wasn’t on it either but the series debuted that Fall she was on it.So Lucas and the other 3 actors will be in the episode of NCIS in the Spring but that may not mean they’ll be on the show if it gets picked up.

• JC says:

True. Although just based on the franchise’s history, the odds favor Zoe McLellen as most likely to be replaced. In the three previous shows in the franchise, all of the leading ladies were replaced after the pilot episode(s). For JAG, Andrea Parker was replaced by Tracey Needham (Catherine Bell came on in S2 when the show moved from NBC to CBS). For NCIS, Robyn Lively was replaced by Sasha Alexander, and for NCIS:LA, Louise Lombard was replaced by Linda Hunt (which was the saving of that show if you ask me – that and bringing on Eric Christian Olsen in S2).

• ragincajun says:

Yeah, I would be Zoe doesn’t make it. I would not be surprised to see the younger female character replaced with someone whose show is not yet officially cancelled, like Tricia Helfer. :-)

• Alan says:

i would argue that kensi blye is the lead female character on ncis la, hetty has always been secondary to her in my opinion.

• JC says:

Even if that’s so, and I’m not sure I agree, it wasn’t that way in the pilot. Louise Lombard’s character Laura Macy was lead. So either Hetty replaced her or Kensi replaced her – either way she was replaced.

26. shuayb says:

Tom Welling should have been cast as Agent LaSalle… But we’ll see how this goes…

27. billy ray says:

could care less about these actors, not one makes me want to jump up and watch anything that they have done.

28. ragincajun says:

This choice surprised me, but he’s a decent actor. I just wonder who else was considered for the role. Personally, I find it odd that this announcement comes after Ben Mackenzie was announced as the lead for Gotham. I bet he was the leading candidate for the role of Agent Lasalle, but when he chose something else, NCIS went with Lucas Black. I thought Tom Welling would have been great as well, but there have been numerous blind items lately noting his having some serious issues in her personal life and CBS probably wanted not part of that.

29. melany says:

Bad choice will be a flop, mediocre actor with a common beauty and charisma without!

30. sofia says:

Tom welling was not chosen for his personal problems? Tom has just divorced his wife …… and then! Stop the hypocrisy! A TOM certainly not interested in the role or agent of Lucas has more power and influence of the agent Tom! I do not follow the new show.

• Rob says:

Who said Welling wasn’t chosen because he’s divorcing? Where are you coming up with this? Maybe he wasn’t interested. Maybe he wasn’t approached. Maybe CBS couldn’t afford him. Maybe he had a scheduling issue.

31. bj says:

If he really got picked for his accent that’s just plain sad. Given his character description he should have been picked for his sexiness. And call me shallow, but he doesn’t do it for me either.

And I agree with you about Linda Hunt on NCIS, JC.

32. Lynette says:

I sure hope this spin-off has more to offer than the current NCIS LA. I watch it, occasionally, but it doesn’t peak my interest the way the original continues to do after 10+ years.. NCIS is one of so few shows that are decent TV these days, NCIS LA wans in comparison. It is not a program that I would get upset if I missed it or forgot to record it. I would watch reruns of NCIS any day versus some of the garbage on TV these days, like Big Bang Theory, Neighbors, Honey Boo Boo, Sister Wives and now 5 Wives, OMG please have those stations blow up, I can’t even turn to those channels. Seriously, what is so interesting about a fat little gross girl and her fat, gross family, some people need to get a life.

33. Meme says:

NCIS LA barely survived and it has taken them years to finally get a following. Unless they bump LA to another night and put this right behind NCIS, I don’t see it lasting long.

34. MARK VETTER says:

I am so disappointed in the casting…cmon,Scott Bakula? and the rest do nothing for me either.I was so excited when I first heard about it now,I really would be shocked if its even remotely good….PLEASE RECAST

35. Frances Evans says:

Lucas Black is a great actor and a new NCIS may even be a hit.

36. Kiane says:

I like SC since Quantum Leap. He has the charismatic profile and solidity to be the lead of NCIS. And about the Lucas Black actor not being a Greek god, I don’t find the Deeks character on NCIS LA handsome.

37. I got this web page from my friend who told me
    on the topic of this website and now this time
    I am visiting this website and reading very informative articles here.

38. Kathy says:

Lucas Black is a great actor. I loved him in Friday Night Lights, but I am a huge football fan. I liked him in Crazy in Alabama. NCIS:New Orleans picked the best actor Lucas Black.

39. After wracking our brains, we finally decided that Agent LaSalle was from American Gothic. But had no idea that he was from 2 Fast and Furious films. We’re happy to see him back on the small screen. Excellent choice!!

40. Everything I read about Lucas Black is positive. Ever since Sling Blade this guy seems to be making all the right moves, getting some nice parts and learning from some very good actors. He seems to have all the right values to go far in the business. I wish him the best- kudos Lucas. Keep it up and never drop that way kewl accent you have.

41. Patricia hrabal says:

Please drop that fake accent

42. Rachel says:

I grew up in Athens, Al – VERY near Decatur and Speake – and I’ve never heard anything as silly as this accent Lucas Black uses on NCIS.